Patch notes discussion thread 25th January 2023

BIGNEWY

2 hours ago, VDV said:

What happen with 1st march update??!?!? Let me guess - fkin dealyed again?

Yes: 

• Like 2

Webmaster of http://www.yoyosims.pl

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Win 10 64, i9-13900 KF, RTX  4090 24Gb OC, RAM 64Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3600MHz,, 3xSSD+3xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5, [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

3 hours ago, St4rgun said:

You don't have to guess: they've announced the delay less than a day ago. It's unfortunate, but plans are plans. Now we can only hope that they really just need "a little more time" which is hopefully less than two weeksTM. It would be also nice to have a peek to the planned feature list for this patch at least draft level, but I think it won't happen.

giving out the planned change list is so dangerous. 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, SPAS79 said:

giving out the planned change list is so dangerous. 

It is since users started reading it as promise list.

• Like 4

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

I'm reading it as that they're very close. If they weren't, they'd have said a week ago "we're not going to make it, two weeks!" But since they are close, maaaaaybe they're trying to push it to tomorrow or Friday but don't want to give a date just in case that falls through, and all the babies here go crying again about a missed date.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

As someone who has spent their life writing software and managing and leading software development teams, I always find this thread amusing. While schedule is important the old adage "people will remember it was wrong long after they forget it was late", still applies.  We'll get it when it's ready:)

Edited by j9murphy
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, j9murphy said:

As someone who has spent their life writing software and managing and leading software development teams, I always find this thread amusing. While schedule is important the old adage "people will remember it was wrong long after they forget it was late", still applies.  We'll get it when it's ready:)

who died the day it was due out? "

only thing is certain, death and taxes, but a patch you will never see; when due on the day they state."

• Like 1

" any failure you meet, is never a defeat; merely a set up for a greater come back, "  W Forbes

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that counts,"  Winston Churchill

" He who never changes his mind, never changes anything," 

MSI z690MPG DDR4 || i914900k|| ddr4-64gb PC3200 || MSI RTX 4070Ti|Game1300w|Win10x64| |turtle beach elite pro 5.1|| ViRpiL,T50cm2|| MFG Crosswinds|| VT50CM-plus rotor Throttle || G10 RGB EVGA Keyboard/MouseLogitech || PiMax Crystal VR || 32 Samsung||

1 hour ago, 71st_Mastiff said:

only thing is certain, death and taxes

Off topic: that last one doesn't count for everybody.

• Like 2

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

So no patch Today? 😭😭😭😭 what with DLSS and multith. and solution for shadows flat???? 😞

😂😴

you forgot the otpimization...4090 to run this engine is so ridiculous.

Strange that other programs much better in qualities and finishes turn better with less...

lockon 1.2

On 3/1/2023 at 3:07 PM, j9murphy said:

In my industry people get fired for constantly missing deadlines.. I couldn't imagine telling a customer that they will get the product or service when it's god damn good and ready. Apparently not software development, I'm in the wrong line of work. Tell me I'm wrong... Or, just look at every franchise that has been ruined over the past 10 years.. like Battlefield. 

Regardless, I don't mind waiting. They were straight up about it and informed us.. just being observant. 

• Like 1

I was also upset that the update didn't work on Wednesday. Especially since, as a family man, I have freed up extra time for this. I thought my part about it, the anger is gone again and then the patch will come today or next week. It's nothing new at DCS World that the date has to be postponed at short notice. DCS is not the center of the world. Once again you get the impression that the world is collapsing if you don't keep an appointment. At least for some people here in the community. And then rant about it in pages in the forum. For me it has a humorous character...

• Like 4

DCS World needs the Panavia Tornado! Really!

This "planned for March" patch became highly anticipated because the highly unusual announcement of it's planned date more than a month early. At that time I already said that the planned 1st March date can surely mean only one thing: no patch in February. I can't remember any occurrence when a patch deployed BEFORE the announced patch date (which is why they usually announce a planned patch date only days before the actual date, not on a distant time scale).

This high anticipation raised the expectations and started the speculation that maybe this next patch will include "everything goodies" like MT, DLSS or possibly Vulkan, based on the available infos on the several month long (successful) closed beta testing of MT and the described topics in the first newsletter in January. But in fact ED never confirmed nor denied that ANY of those features could be included in this exact patch.

As we don't know how huge this patch will be or how it'll affect core systems we can't speculate on the amount of work and testing it needs to be in the best possible quality before deployment to avoid a bugfest. Personally I always prefer a more thoroughly tested patch than a rushed one. As we don"t know the sheer amount of work and the current progress status we can't imagine that how long the delay could be.

And that's my only tiny disappointment in this case: the "we do require a little more time" phrase can be intrepreted as some "more days", "more weeks" on "more months" based on the magnitude of the foreseen amount of work left. Normally I'd bet for "more days" but this time everyhting is unusual.

In a theatre when something unforseen happens in the backstage right before starting of the play which can cause more than 1-2 minutes delay someone is sent to the stage to entertain the audience while waiting not just sitting in silence behind the closed curtains... Anyway it's Friday, so I hope at least we'll get a lot of new info in today's newsletter.

• Like 4
  • PC: 10700K | Gigabyte Z490 | Palit 3090 GamingPro | 32GB | Win10
  • HMD: HP Reverb G2 | OpenXR @ 120% | OpenXR Toolkit: exposure, brightness, saturation | DCS 2.9: DLAA with Sharpening 0.5 (no upscaling)
  • Controllers: VKB Gunfighter MkIII base & 200 mm curved extension center mounted + TM F16 Grip / MCG Pro Grip | TM TFRP

Where did you even find that it was supposed to be on March 1? Anyway, all we can do is to wait patiently.

i7-11700K 5GHz, 64GB DDR4@3200, ZOTAC RTX4090, iiyama 34 Red Eagle  || Quest 3, HP Reverb G2, TrackIR 5  || Orion2 F-16EX Viper Throttle Combo, TM Warthog throttle(button box),  Virpil WarBRD+Viper stick, VPC interceptor pedals || TM MFD Cougar pack || F-16C, F-15E, AH-64D | Simshaker Jetpad || F-16 Panels: Landing Gear, CMDS, ICP, Avionics, Sensors, Lighting, Air Cond, HUD, Anti Ice

9 minutes ago, IR.Clutch said:

Where did you even find that it was supposed to be on March 1? Anyway, all we can do is to wait patiently.

Follow this thread :thumbup:

• Like 4

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

3 hours ago, kotor633 said:

I have freed up extra time for this

Its important to learn to never do that, I´ve done it in the past, and I only got huge disappointment and desire to rant in the forums, and I don´t like it. The anwer is not to expect anything (like this patch, I don´t think it will be big or anything remarkable), and I don´t really care when it comes out, so if I am mistaken, it will be a good thing xD 

The thing I really complain about, is ED waiting until the very last day to say the patch is delayed, that´s not serious, like they don´t test it at all before the launch. 

• Like 6

I suspect it's a classic case of wishful thinking. They test, collect the feedback, and they go "we can get this ready one time", then "we can get this ready for tomorrow" and then... "crap, we can't get this ready, not again!". 🙂 

11 hours ago, HoBGoBLiNzx3 said:

I couldn't imagine telling a customer that they will get the product or service when it's god damn good and ready. 

You won't believe how often big time industrial software developers pull this kind of crap. Either that, or lame excuses. Unless you have it on paper that they pay penalties if they can't get stuff fixed in X time, they'll leave bugs unfixed, promised features unimplemented and all that. Dell in particular is known to threaten legal action instead of fixing their crap (at least the US part is, it's harder to pull off in the EU). Not all enterprise vendors are this bad, but it's not unheard of. ED, at least, owns up to the reasons for the delay and their updates are actually good when they do come out. If they break something really badly, a hotfix is usually forthcoming. That's more than can be said about Windows "feature updates".

• Like 1

On my website we only post patch updates when we have a fully tested build, Customer have no idea when the next patch is coming they know there is an update once we inform them that a new build is out. Similar to Microsoft's philosophy with Windows. You either get an update once it's done or go beta channels to test new stuff at your own risk.

• Like 2

zprwsp-6.png

All the:

"I skipped a day from work for this", "I made plans around this", "I was waiting for this, put things off for this".

One plans their life around software updates for Beta Simulation/Gaming/Emulation software?

This is a thing?

Well, snatch me bald headed and call me Spanky!

• Like 6

Pointy end hurt! Fire burn!!
JTF-191 25th Draggins - Hawg Main. Black Shark 2, A10C, A10CII, F-16, F/A-18, F-86, Mig-15, Mig-19, Mig-21, P-51, F-15, Su-27, Su-33, Mig-29, FW-190 Dora, Anton, BF 109, Mossie, Normandy, Caucasus, NTTR, Persian Gulf, Channel, Syria, Marianas, WWII Assets, CA. (WWII backer picked aircraft ME-262, P-47D).

31 minutes ago, SmirkingGerbil said:

All the:

"I skipped a day from work for this", "I made plans around this", "I was waiting for this, put things off for this".

One plans their life around software updates for Beta Simulation/Gaming/Emulation software?

This is a thing?

Well, snatch me bald headed and call me Spanky!

I mean people save up a week of leave so they can play "insert any big new AAA game" it's a hobby. Like taking a vacation to go fishing. 

That said making free time for an update you literally don't know anything about except a few campaigns and a new radio is coming might be too much.

If you KNEW something big was coming maybe, but we don't know anything. 

• Like 1

i7 13700k @5.2ghz, GTX 3090, 64Gig ram 4800mhz DDR5, M2 drive.

vor 4 Stunden schrieb AKULA_OPTIMUS:

The thing I really complain about, is ED waiting until the very last day to say the patch is delayed, that´s not serious, like they don´t test it at all before the launch. 

I think you postponed the appointment the day before? But yes, I know what you mean. Yes, that's annoying. Yes, software development is not just done like that & if I already give an appointment then all tests should be positive & completed beforehand. Only then do I go productive. I also come from IT and if we were to treat our shareholders like that... On the other hand, there are also unforeseen things that can prevent an IPN. And we have to (be able to) rely on ED's statements and not presume to judge them. But like I said, my opinion is: DCS is not the center of the world. And we as customers do not incur any financial damage (or anything similar) just because an update is postponed. We'll just have to wait a little longer.

And with that, I've said my opinion and the topic is closed for me.

Edited by kotor633
  • Like 1

DCS World needs the Panavia Tornado! Really!

12 hours ago, HoBGoBLiNzx3 said:

In my industry people get fired for constantly missing deadlines.. I couldn't imagine telling a customer that they will get the product or service when it's god damn good and ready. Apparently not software development, I'm in the wrong line of work. Tell me I'm wrong... Or, just look at every franchise that has been ruined over the past 10 years.. like Battlefield. 

Regardless, I don't mind waiting. They were straight up about it and informed us.. just being observant. 

Yeah, ED should fire all the devs... that'll speed things up. :blink:

• Like 3

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3600| MSI RTX 4080 16GB Ventus 3X OC  | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB NVME | HP Reverb G2 | DIY Head Tracker Cap | Logitech X-56 throttle | VKB NXT Premium |  Win 11

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

--Arthur C Clark

2 minutes ago, VDV said:

so will there be patch today?? or any news at least??

It's Friday, so a newsletter is expected later today. Unfortunately no new info on the patch status tough.

I hope at least we'll get some juicy news about the forecoming patch in the newsletter.

• PC: 10700K | Gigabyte Z490 | Palit 3090 GamingPro | 32GB | Win10
  • HMD: HP Reverb G2 | OpenXR @ 120% | OpenXR Toolkit: exposure, brightness, saturation | DCS 2.9: DLAA with Sharpening 0.5 (no upscaling)
  • Controllers: VKB Gunfighter MkIII base & 200 mm curved extension center mounted + TM F16 Grip / MCG Pro Grip | TM TFRP

The wording in the patch update post didn't exactly sound like the new release date of the postponed patch was imminent. My gut reaction was that the team seems to be somewhat behind schedule (probably something unexpected turned up during testing?), significantly enough for me to not expect the patch before March 15.

Prove me wrong, ED. 🙂 

• Like 2