26.01.2024 - Unified Build | AviaStorm's Tornado | Growling Sidewinder

• ED Team
1 hour ago, Drac said:

So...I take it that there will be no update this month.

Will be in February 

thanks

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

I am a sysadmin and have been since 1989. During that time I was also a CAD manager. When systems are not unified, much time is wasted. Especially when users of all sorts are involved in beta testing. Many of the users have little to no concept of how to provide empirical information to assist with troubleshooting. It is not necessarily their fault. It's just an experience thing.

I am glad DCS is changing their process. I commend all involved with making a surely difficult decision. I wish them well and success. There will always be supporters. I can be considered one of that group.

• Like 4

AKA_SilverDevil AKA Forums My YouTube

“It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.” — Mark Twain

500 GB's freed up space for more content!

Now that is real progress!

Bravo!

Two versions was eating my HD's for lunch!

Thanks!

Great news indeed!

"Yeah, and though I work in the valley of Death, I will fear no Evil. For where there is one, there is always three. I preparest my aircraft to receive the Iron that will be delivered in the presence of my enemies. Thy ALCM and JDAM they comfort me. Power was given unto the aircrew to make peace upon the world by way of the sword. And when the call went out, Behold the "Sword of Stealth". And his name was Death. And Hell followed him. For the day of wrath has come and no mercy shall be given."

Unified versioning sounds great.  Although somehow I see a limited number of people opting into experimental builds in the future, lol.

Does this mean that feature releases will be more complete and less buggy?  Does this mean fewer QoL updates in between, though?  We could always use those.

17 minutes ago, Hawkeye60 said:

500 GB's freed up space for more content!

Now that is real progress!

Bravo!

Two versions was eating my HD's for lunch!

Thanks!

Great news indeed!

For now I actually plan to keep two installs. The main benefit for me hasn't changed. I can keep a stable version of the game to do my simming in while also having access to all the latest additions. Unless bugs are virtually eliminated, two copies just makes sense to me. However if I do find a given update to be an improvement I guess I no longer need to wait for a stable release to update my other DCS install.

• Like 1

Awaiting: DCS F-15C

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files

I guess one could simply roll back using the updater if there are any game breaking bugs, that would be analogous to using stable version. The only impact would be connectivity to MP servers, but they all used open beta anyway, so playing on stable wouldn't have been much help in that regard.

Makes sense to me!

• Like 1

Ryzen 7 5800X3D / Asus Crosshair VI Hero X370 / Corsair H110i / Sapphire Nitro+ 6800XT / 32Gb G.Skill TridentZ 3200 / Samsung 980 Pro M.2 / Virpil Warbrd base + VFX and TM grips / Virpil CM3 Throttle / Saitek Pro Combat pedals / Reverb G2

7 hours ago, Gunfreak said:

On steam, if you change from table to open beta or the reverse. You usually get like a 15-20 update if I remember correctly.

You're probably right, but I know nothing about this.

I will stay with beta of course.

Some of the planes, but all of the maps!

I guess it was time to unify. But the dual version have served the squadron community well over the years. I clearly remember updates crippling up training nights making us switch to the stable to save the mission for everyone. I wish you good luck with the single build going forward. 

5 hours ago, Exorcet said:

For now I actually plan to keep two installs. The main benefit for me hasn't changed. I can keep a stable version of the game to do my simming in while also having access to all the latest additions. Unless bugs are virtually eliminated, two copies just makes sense to me. However if I do find a given update to be an improvement I guess I no longer need to wait for a stable release to update my other DCS install.

Will the ability to have multiple versions still be supported once the unified release hits?  I use OB (with minor mods and add-ons) as my primary but keep a clean stable install to troubleshoot and test things if I run into problems to help determine if the problem is on my end or not.  It would be nice to be able to do this going forward, if not with stable at least with a previous version.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, draconus said:

This February in the cloudy skies of unified DCS servers the two titans will finally meet in the epic battle never seen before - prepare for DCS 2024 The War: Beta vs Stable :gun_rifle:

Not really sure there's any reason for battle since Stable is just an older version of OB currently anyway.  All that's going to happen is Stable is going to get an update that brings it to same version as OB (which happens periodically anyway) at the same time OB gets an update

• Like 1

although I can understand and support the decision for a unified version strategy, I think that the previous update frequency (for OpenBeta branch) will probably be significantly reduced as a result. I just liked to always try and test the latest changes as soon as they were ready for public.

but certainly a welcome change for the majority, so I'm excited about future development

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Zebra1-1 said:

I hope this means the ST version will also be dropped soon.

A lot of people still report a lot of trouble with MT. So don't know if that's smart until MT works well for everyone.

• Like 3

i7 13700k @5.2ghz, GTX 3090, 64Gig ram 4800mhz DDR5, M2 drive.

On 1/27/2024 at 2:05 PM, Lukas2438 said:

I think that the previous update frequency (for OpenBeta branch) will probably be significantly reduced as a result. 

Patches will go to a six week or so cycle, just depends on development and testing

• Like 1

Intel i7-13700KF :: ROG STRIX Z790-A GAMING WIFI D4 :: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB ::  MSI RTX 4080  Gaming X Trio  :: VKB Gunfighter MK.III MCG Ultimate :: VPC MongoosT-50 CM3 :: non-VR :: single player :: open beta

I actually liked the monthly-ish update cycle. But I value the wellbeing of the devs and the health of their work environment way above my personal preferences.

• Like 5

I5 9600KF, 32GB, 3080ti, G2, PointCTRL