DCS World 2.0 and New Maps Discussion Thread

Wags

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You got that wrong, they ment EDGE with this. It is not a seperate project.

Did they? How do you know this?

EDGE is not planned for the Caucasus.

You know this for a fact? Then IG can't be EDGE?

Who started this IG=EGDE thing anyway?

PC Specs / Hardware: MSI z370 Gaming Plus Mainboard, Intel 8700k @ 5GHz, MSI Sea Hawk 2080 Ti @ 2100MHz, 32GB 3200 MHz DDR4 RAM

Displays: Philips BDM4065UC 60Hz 4K UHD Screen, Pimax 8KX

Controllers / Peripherals: VPC MongoosT-50, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, modded MS FFB2/CH Combatstick, MFG Crosswind Pedals, Gametrix JetSeat

Basically, you are pre-purchasing the Huey. You pay for it now and get the official product once its completed and at the same time you get to play the beta version of the game (which is the version people are playing on right now.)

i5 4590 @ 3.77GHz | GTX 1060 6GB | 16GB 1600MHz DDR3 | 1TB HDD+500GB HDD | Win10 Home X64

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Did they? How do you know this?

EDGE was/is just a nickname for the Image generator technology coined by c0ff:

http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=1670394&postcount=589

Novice or Veteran looking for an alternative MP career?

Click me to commence your Journey of Pillage and Plunder!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

'....And when I get to Heaven, to St Peter I will tell....

One more Soldier reporting Sir, I've served my time in Hell......'

Work On New Rendering Technology Continues

The new Image Generator (IG) technology is currently in development and will be introduced to DCS World when it is ready. Elements of the new IG include:

- More detailed terrain.

- Better graphical effects

- DirectX 11 support

A patch to actual graphic engine?

Why not add those resources and hours of work to finish EDGE earlier, insteatd tweaking and re-patching actual graphic engine?

Greetings

That is EDGE.

COMMERCIAL/MARKETING NAME vs TECHNICAL/PROGRAMMING NAME.

EDGE = Eagle Dynamics Graphics Engine, A Graphics Engine is Normally Called a Rendering Engine, Rendering Technology Or Image Renderer.

What is there to clear up?, Search Function, it's a Pinned Post (or it was), with Q/A in the First Post.

(Subject to Changes at any time)

What is EDGE?

EDGE, dubbed Eagle Dynamic Graphic Engine, is a new rendering engine built from the ground up that allowed for numerous benefits to the DCS environment.

When will EDGE be released?

Since EDGE is built from scratch, it will take time to incorporate all the elements that are needed to make it playable at acceptable frame rates.

What are the benefits to EDGE?

· EDGE allows for Direct X 11 support

· Dynamic shadowing of the terrain and mountains

· Clipmap support

· Higher object count

· Higher resolution ground terrain mesh

· More detailed tree models

· High resolution road textures

· Ability for road signs and light signals

· Additional ground clutter (rocks, cactuses, etc.)

Will the Black Sea map in its current form work with EDGE?

No. Since the technology behind EDGE is dramatically different, down to the tools that create it, terrain needs to be built with the EDGE benefits in mind. This is a HUGE undertaking and not an easy task to redo something.

Are there maps in progress that take advantage of EDGE?

Yes, the first map to take advantage of EDGE is Nevada.

How far along is the Nevada map?

It has been stated that the Nevada map is mostly done but work remains to finish the underlying EDGE engine.

If the Nevada map is mostly done, why not post some screenshots to the community?

EDGE is the underlying core of the Nevada map. If EDGE is in a state where it is not capable of running or showing off its potential, (bad frames, no anti-alisting/ ‘jaggies’, etc), screenshots might not be possible.

How big is the Nevada map?

There is no official distance/ surface number, but it has been said that it will include Las Vegas, Groom Lake, Nellis, Lake Mead, and Hoover Dam.

Will EDGE/ Nevada cost anything?

EDGE is rendering engine, so no. It has been stated that the plan is still for the Nevada map to be free for users who pre-ordered DCS: A-10C Warthog beta.

So what will Nevada cost if I did not pre-order?

See Below

How will I switch between maps?

When creating a new mission, the authors can specify what map to use. This feature is already implemented but there is only the current map.

Edited by SkateZilla

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

I am fairly certain that volume (or size of type in this case) does not improve comprehension. Just sayin' ;)

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

EDGE was/is just a nickname for the Image generator technology coined by c0ff:

http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=1670394&postcount=589

And where in that post does he say IG is EDGE? Image generator isn't even mentioned.

Wags's update seems to imply that this is something that will be added to DCS soon, rather than a whole new engine.

We all know EDGE is in development. Why would Wags bother telling us "EDGE is in development". We know, duh...

Kind of seems redundant.

PC Specs / Hardware: MSI z370 Gaming Plus Mainboard, Intel 8700k @ 5GHz, MSI Sea Hawk 2080 Ti @ 2100MHz, 32GB 3200 MHz DDR4 RAM

Displays: Philips BDM4065UC 60Hz 4K UHD Screen, Pimax 8KX

Controllers / Peripherals: VPC MongoosT-50, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, modded MS FFB2/CH Combatstick, MFG Crosswind Pedals, Gametrix JetSeat

And where in that post does he say IG is EDGE? Image generator isn't even mentioned....

It does not need to - Res Ipsa Loquitor, ie the facts speak for themselves.

Why would Wags bother telling us "EDGE is in development".

He did not - he said 'work continues...'. There's a difference.

It's about keeping people informed. Damned if you do, damned if you don't it seems :megalol:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I also think this IG is just another name of EDGE. Is not the first time when it's named like this.

Wags simply said in words what he cannot yet do with pictures... work continues and it will support Dx11 etc...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I5 4670k, 32GB, GTX 1070, Thrustmaster TFRP, G940 Throttle extremely modded with Bodnar 0836X and Bu0836A,

Warthog Joystick with F-18 grip, Oculus Rift S - Almost all is made from gifts from friends, the most expensive parts at least

I just now saw the features of EDGE. One of the new features of EDGE is higher object count. What the heck are they thinking now...damn...get the slowdowns and major bugs in this sim fixed first before trashing our fps even more with all kinds of new stuff! Gotta soon move totally over to the ARMA guys to get a feeling of proffessionalism . What about multiplayer? That is the single thing they should focus on now. Nothing ever gets fixed more or less completely. Its just a big mess soon! All the sim has is good looks and good avionics thats it. Learn great userfeedback, fast fixes which works from the ARMA team. I've bought all their packages and enjoyed their professionalism for long and their ARMA 2 and 3 series is even far and away more advanced and complex than DCS. Come on ED!

System spec:

Intel Core i7 920@4.2Ghz (stable, 65degC fully loaded), EVGA GTX-780, Asus P6T Deluxe V2 v.5.04 BIOS, Saitek X52, 1TB/500GB WD HD for system/storage. Kingston SSD 120 GB for DCS, 250GB Samsung 840 SSD for the rest. 16GB Kingston KHX1600C9D3 Memory, 9 GB Pagefile, EK HFX-240 Watercooling, Corsair HX-1000 PSU. HAF-932 Tower, TrackIR-5, Win64Ult

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I just now saw the features of EDGE. One of the new features of EDGE is higher object count. What the heck are they thinking now...damn...get the slowdowns and major bugs in this sim fixed first before trashing our fps even more with all kinds of new stuff! Gotta soon move totally over to the ARMA guys to get a feeling of proffessionalism . What about multiplayer? That is the single thing they should focus on now. Nothing ever gets fixed more or less completely. Its just a big mess soon! All the sim has is good looks and good avionics thats it. Learn great userfeedback, fast fixes which works from the ARMA team. I've bought all their packages and enjoyed their professionalism for long and their ARMA 2 and 3 series is even far and away more advanced and complex than DCS. Come on ED!

tumblr_lqq1j75Va21qbotu4o1_400_zps5b0f755a.jpg

wambulance_zps93cea936.gif

ARMA 2 and 3 series is even far and away more advanced and complex than DCS.

That is the funniest thing I have seen today. Thanks. :megalol::megalol:

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Although it would be somewhat of a wasteful to fix the object related slow downs if a new engine is to be released. I would assume higher unit counts will be possible by more efficient processing and optimized models. Not by just throwing more objects into an outdated engine. I'm no programmer but I'm guessing the afm, weapons systems, etc are much more advanced in a program code than any of the code of arma. Sure they can get bug fixes out faster than ed but they dont have the issue(at least not on the same scale)of a fix for one bug that causes another(or ten others for that matter). Which obviously causes delays. I haven't seen any lack of professionalism on eds part.

Edited by pacotito

Pacotito

I7-5820k@4.5 Z99 extreme4 16gb ddr4

520gb ssd. Gigabyte ssc GTX960 SSC 4gb

Although it would be somewhat of a wasteful to fix the object related slow downs if a new engine is to be released. I would assume higher unit counts will be possible by more efficient processing and optimized models. Not by just throwing more objects into an outdated engine. I'm no programmer but I'm guessing the afm, weapons systems, etc are much more advanced in a program code than any of the code of arma. Sure they can get bug fixes out faster than ed but they dont have the issue(at least not on the same scale)of a fix for one bug that causes another(or ten others for that matter). Which obviously causes delays. I haven't seen any lack of professionalism on eds part.

Agree in most you write here, but lets review a bit what seems like the real challenge for a sim like ARMA and DCS. For ED its their outdated stoneage engine obviously, but thats just the beginning. I jumped into a campaign the other day just to check it out. I was in the Black Shark and the AI leader in the group was hoovering some distance away out of view, waiting for me to take off. Just by a coincidence i hit the F2 to check him out. I couldn't believe what i saw. The damn heli was going back and fourth like a scared to death piggybaby. Thats the first thing which meets my eye in the mission. It plain an simple looked like a joke. Forget any system anomalities on my comp. It just gives me an indication on how serious the sim's AI calculating routines do their job. It dont even share enough resources to make that heli act a little realistic. Its just a bare minimum AI loop for the heli.In a combat sim AI is the over the top priority, but its also the difficult part, but AI in DCS is so bad at least the visual part that i dont even want to talk about it. Am not a pro ARMA guy at all actually, but i know when i play something which "feels right". If some of the "kids" above think DCS is more advanced than ARMA their completely out there. AI and flight dynamics is what is complex. ED has gotten the flight part right and used alot of resources on that, but a DCS filled with millions of weapons has nothing to do with if the sim really works as a package. Its all data. Its alot of work for the developers ok, but its data data data. Same with avionics. ARMA has bullets with gravity on how they travel etc etc. ED's weapons dont even hit the targets many times cause of bugs and collision detection model problems. And what about general randomness in gameplay in DCS? Ok it doesn't have a dynamic campaign, but something is not right. Guys i have sticked to DCS and before that to Flanker series, but just for shorter periods, all cause of all the loose ends in this sim, but i think i see where this is going. Whats gonna happen is that ED is gonna add all sorts of new eyecandy to stay alive because most buy their stuff cause of this and they will be so busy with that that we will never see a sim which really works. Anyway i will stop this now as i guess this is getting out of EDGE spesific matters.

Thats my opinion and i am entitled to have one right? :thumbup:

System spec:

Intel Core i7 920@4.2Ghz (stable, 65degC fully loaded), EVGA GTX-780, Asus P6T Deluxe V2 v.5.04 BIOS, Saitek X52, 1TB/500GB WD HD for system/storage. Kingston SSD 120 GB for DCS, 250GB Samsung 840 SSD for the rest. 16GB Kingston KHX1600C9D3 Memory, 9 GB Pagefile, EK HFX-240 Watercooling, Corsair HX-1000 PSU. HAF-932 Tower, TrackIR-5, Win64Ult

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Is IG the same as EDGE?

I'm sure most of you noticed that Wags mentioned Image Generator (IG). Is that what we know as EDGE? Or is that something different. I was not sure what this was. I am looking forward to seeing DX11 and graphics improvements.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• ED Team
I'm sure most of you noticed that Wags mentioned Image Generator (IG). Is that what we know as EDGE? Or is that something different. I was not sure what this was. I am looking forward to seeing DX11 and graphics improvements.

Yes. EDGE is an Image Generator, no worries threw me at first too :)

• Like 1

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

I have a wkd sense of déjà vu all of a sudden.

More info here - http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=80468&page=167

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Snip...

BF3 has better AI than DCS. I think we can agree with that. Maybe if that is what concerns you then stick to those "sims". I like the flight sim aspect more than a realistic AI. I certainly don't play it for the AI.

Realistic weapons? DCS does model bulled drop, wind, and many other ballistics. I'm not really sure what you mean by bugs and collision detection models. I personally have never experienced that in the year and a half I've played A-10C in anything from guns to mavericks to sidewinders to JDAMs to laser guided bombs to Mk-82s. Only times I've missed is due to my own mistakes.

I'm personally getting tired of people comparing this sim to ARMA. Might as well compare Ford to Ferrari.

First post updated with the following to avoid confusion:

What is the Image Generator (IG) people keep mentioning?

An Image Generator (IG) is another way of describing what EDGE is. Image Generator (IG) is a generic term for something that generates the images on your screen. EDGE a self coined term by c0ff to describe the Image Generator (IG) and is simply an acronym.

Nevada map contributer

EDM Modeling tools FAQ:

http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=1418067&postcount=1

Seo libh a chairde is chanadh liom. Líonaigí'n oíche le greann is le spórt. Seo sláinte na gcarad atá imithe uainn. Mar cheo an tsléibhe uaine, iad imithe go deo

First post updated with the following to avoid confusion:

What is the Image Generator (IG) people keep mentioning?

An Image Generator (IG) is another way of describing what EDGE is.

Aw man!!! I thought we were going to, like, you know, be able to, like, make something with it. You know, like those dudes in Weird Science.

:lol::lol: