Normandy Map Discussion

Lenux

• ED Team
So is it only Commonwealth units for the Allies?

In addition to populating World War II era maps, this asset pack can be used with all other DCS World map modules.

These assets include:

• Tanks and Mobile Artillery

o M4 Sherman Firefly

o M4A4 Sherman with "Rhino" hedge cutter

o Mk VIII Cromwell

o Jagdpanzer IV

o Sd.Kfz. 162

o Tiger I

o Tiger II

o Panther V

o Panzer IV

o Sturmpanzer IV Brummbär, Sd. Kfz. 166

o Jagdpanther G1

• Cars and Trucks

o Jeep Willys

o Truck CCKW 353

o Bedford MWD

o Kübelwagen 82

o Truck Blitz 36-6700A

• Steam Train and Cars

o DRG Class 86 locomotive

o Tank wagon

o G10 covered wagon

o DR 50 Ton Flat Wagon Type SSys

• Anti-Aircraft Artillery

o Bofors 40 mm gun

o 8.8 cm Flak Gun 18, 36, & 37

o 2 cm Flak 30/38/Flakvierling

• Ships

o LCVP Higgins

o LST Mk2

o USS Samuel Chase

• Infantry

o US soldier

o UK soldier

o German soldier

• Aircraft

o B-17G bomber

The DCS: World War II Assets Pack will continue to grow with DCS: Combined Arms compatibility and free asset additions that includes:

• New tanks

• SdKfz 234/2 "Puma"

• Sd.Kfz. 251

• Sd.Kfz.2 Kettenkrad

• Horch staff car

• E-boat Schnellboot type S-130

• Uboat type 7

• German search lights

• Barrage balloons

• Avro Lancaster

• Hawker Typhoon

• C-47

• Ju-88

• Fw 190 A-6 and A-8

• Bf 109 G-6

• A-20 Havoc/Boston

• B-24

• B-25

• B-26

Thanks for the livestream Wags! Lots of information in there and the map looks just stunning :thumbup:

• Like 1

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Great Livestream, very exciting!

Man that water looks so much better as well!

• Like 1

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

• ED Team
Sith,

Just curious, has the map been resized for later expansion for the time period? Ashame London is not there right now, but it appears to leave room for further work. Regardless, amazing stuff hands down, will be my favorite map..........UNTIL Vietnam!

In the stream today, Matt didnt rule out expansion, but its not planned right now, they have other maps they want to get to, including the Caucasus, SoH, and other TBA maps.

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

Hearing Wags explain the Assets pack issue convinced me it wasn't such a bad move , i`ll be buying the Map/Assets bundle.

I cant wait to finally have a real ww2 map and not have to imagine scenarios in Caucasus .

IAF.Tomer

My Rig:

Core i7 6700K + Corsair Hydro H100i GTX

Gigabyte Z170X Gaming 7,G.Skill 32GB DDR4 3000Mhz

Gigabyte GTX 980 OC

Samsung 840EVO 250GB + 3xCrucial 275GB in RAID 0 (1500 MB/s)

Asus MG279Q | TM Warthog + Saitek Combat Pedals + TrackIR 5

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The Gunny's Take on Normandy

Great job on the Normandy Map, I enjoyed the live stream. The following is my own personal opinion, which by most standards, is absolutely worthless.

Here's my 13 cents on it:

Looks great, but I wont be buying it until its bundled with a WW2 aircraft. The map doesn't look like it would be much fun in a modern aircraft, its relatively flat, no paved runways, etc. Seeing as I don't own any WW2 aircraft yet, it only makes since to wait for the bundle. I did the same with NTTR. You can usually end up getting a module and the map for about $60, which ends up being about 50% off.

Here's my main issue stopping me from buying it now:

What is really that much different about it than the Caucasus map? I mean fighting ww2 aircraft over the coast of the black sea doesn't really look that much different, honestly it looks like more fun because of the terrain elevation differences (my opinion). I can see the appeal of fighting over a period specific map, but then again, that makes it pretty worthless for anything but ww2 planes.

Like I said this is just my opinion, I know many people have backed this map for several years. I just don't see the appeal without some other incentive, like a P-51D/Normandy bundle.

I might pick up the standalone units pack, would be fun to have 20-30 B17's bomb vegas.

Hearing Wags explain the Assets pack issue convinced me it wasn't such a bad move , i`ll be buying the Map/Assets bundle.

I cant wait to finally have a real ww2 map and not have to imagine scenarios in Caucasus .

ED has to sustain themselves. The work simply can't be done for free. I'm glad you get it, but there are still some that have a problem with it.

• Like 1

Intel i5-9600K @ 3.7GHz

Gigabyte Z370XP SLI Mobo

G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4

GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 2070 8GB 256-Bit GDDR6(Assume the latest driver version)

Thermaltake Water 3.0 Certified Liquid Cooling System

Windows 10 Professional

Oculus Rift-S /TrackIR 5 in case VR dies

Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog w/ Thrustmaster T-Flight Rudder Pedals

Did anyone notice Wags had two F-15C icons on the main DCS screen? One was just "F-15C" and should be the FC3 one, but the other was "DCS F-15C"!!! Fingers crossed

Don't get excited. Wags has previously had multiple F-15 entries in his module manager, way back in 2015 when showing off NTTR in the first live streams.

Was a nice live stream, would have liked to see Wags fly to the English coast, but it was certainly nice seeing all the units done thus far. The B-17 looks amazing.

Edited by Buzzles

Just watched the livestream video recording up on youtube

). Great to watch and hear all the news.

Wanted to clarify a question Wags answered during the live stream regarding whether trees are collideable or not? The question was posed during the video and answered as follows (from 6:37 in the youtube video):

Q) "so another big question we have of course is the functionality of the trees, whether or not they're going to be collideable or not?"

A) "and yeah, certainly, we believe that moving forward with any new DCS map, having a collision model for the trees is quite important, not just for the aircraft but even more so for the helicopters and combined arms, and things like that."

Does this mean that all the trees in Normandy are collideable right now or it's just something you recognise is important and is planned to happen in the future?

My PC specs: Win10 64 Pro, CPU i7-3820 4.4GHz, 16GB RAM, GPU Nvidia 1070 (8gb vram).

Controls: Microsoft FFB2, Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle, MFG Crosswind Pedals, TrackIR5.
My DCS Youtube Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/No64Bounder

Nice livestream Wags. The level of detail,looks great. It certainly sets the right mood.

Glad I have a Mustang to bring to the party.

Personally, I think this could make a fun playground for A-10Cs (provided the FLIR works like Nevada and not like the Caucuses.)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

http://www.476vfightergroup.com/content.php

High Quality Aviation Photography For Personal Enjoyment And Editorial Use.

www.crosswindimages.com

Thanks for taking the time to put out the live stream wags, very informative and both the map & assets look great.

ASUS Maximus X Hero; i7-8700K OC'd @ 5 Ghz; Zotac GeForce GTX 1080 AMP Extreme 8GB; 32GB G.Skill Trident Z DDR4 3200Mhz RAM; 500GB Samsung EVO 960 SSD; Warthog HOTAS; Saitek Pro Flight Rudder pedals; HP Reverb VR; Realtus Forcefeel Game Pad running on SimShaker for Aviators software. :thumbup:

ED have thought seriously about the issue and decided this is the best option.

As for dedicated servers, it is on ED's to do list, it all takes time and other features of DCS need to be completed first, and you would need to have that in place before you even considered a different approach to hosting new terrain, although I am still not convinced another way would be better.

Boycotting is only going to hurt ED and ourselves considering an alternative is not even currently possible.

Personally I will be to busy enjoying myself flying around the new terrain :)

Should those of us who run 24/7 servers either on machines in our basement paying premium rates for speed and bandwidth to our homes to do so, or paying to rent space on a remote server with premium features that most games/sims don't require, take it that even after the "dedicated server" is eventually released, we will still need to purchase a second copy of the Normandy map and a second copy of the assets pack to do so?

Should those of us who run 24/7 servers either on machines in our basement paying premium rates for speed and bandwidth to our homes to do so, or paying to rent space on a remote server with premium features that most games/sims don't require, take it that even after the "dedicated server" is eventually released, we will still need to purchase a second copy of the Normandy map and a second copy of the assets pack to do so?

It seems that ED are not going to budge on this, so yes, you'll need a second copy if you are to run a server. It will presumably also mean purchasing asset packs if they are to be used in online missions.

No getting around it, so we have just got to bite the bullet on this one.