Oculus Rift with DCS World Discussion

NineLine

The entire premise of a good button controller is that the user does not need to be looking at them to use them. Any good button controller has design features which are robust and have varied tactile responses which offer the operator ease of use, and allow the right control elements to be used at the instant they are needed. Ultimately the goal is to prevent unnecessary distractions while simultaneously enhancing gameplay. The analogue design demands have been used in aircraft and auto design for decades...well, anything designed for human-machine interaction, actually...

I'm a big DCS-VR fan (as some may know), and have been using our own DSD button devices with DCS and VR since the 0400 runtimes :) Surely the need for positive tactile experience is essential in our components, and that's been one of the overarching demands all along. Enough about me, though...

Speaking of DCS and VR, what does ED have planned for DX12 support?

DSD controllers are solid as well. Kudos to you Derek.

But I can't **WAIT** to have DX12 support in DCS. I guess it won't have for three years (judging by how long it took took) but maybe now that 2.5 can unify the branches and we ditched the old engine, it'll be faster.

I surely hope so.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

1.5 and 2.0 both use the same engine.

Huh, I must have missed that. I always thought the 1.x was on the older engine. Regardless, afters seeing the DX 11 vs 12 video you once posted, I hope to hell ED adds DX12 support sooner rather than later!

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

• ED Team
Huh, I must have missed that. I always thought the 1.x was on the older engine. Regardless, afters seeing the DX 11 vs 12 video you once posted, I hope to hell ED adds DX12 support sooner rather than later!

There is no info about any plans on going to DX12 currently.

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

guys, pls help me out regarding my system and OC in DCS.

With my system below, Im running the Causcasus map very smooth in SP and MP. I recently upgraded RAM to 16GiG.

I estimate it could also handle DCS 2.0 Nevada (which Im not owning yet) , but Im afraid the party will be over (on both maps) once I get the Rift for DCS, which is planned on the long run.

So, Is the above said correct ? Or shall I give the Rift a try with my "upgraded but aged system" ?

Pls - help ! :noexpression:

CPU: Intel I5-2400 @ 3,1GHz

RAM: 16GB

GPU: Gigabyte Geforce GTX 960 Windforce 2X OC 4GB GDDR5

Win 7 64 bit

Mad Catz V1 Joystick / Track IR5

currently running DCS 1.5.X

Edited by JABO2009

Intel I7 - 10700 K @ 3,80GHz / 64 GB DDR3 / RTX 3090 / Win 10 Home 64 bit / Logitech X56 HOTAS / HP Reverb G2  

Running DCS on latest OB version 

guys, pls help me out regarding my system and OC in DCS.

With my system below, Im running the Causcasus map very smooth in SP and MP. I recently upgraded RAM to 16GiG.

I estimate it could also handle DCS 2.0 Nevada (which Im not owning yet) , but Im afraid the party will be over (on both maps) once I get the Rift for DCS, which is planned on the long run.

So, Is the above said correct ? Or shall I give the Rift a try with my "upgraded but aged system" ?

Pls - help ! :noexpression:

CPU: Intel I5-2400 @ 3,1GHz

RAM: 16GB

GPU: Gigabyte Geforce GTX 960 Windforce 2X OC 4GB GDDR5

Win 64 bit

Mad Catz V1 Joystick / Track IR5

currently running DCS 1.5.X

I run the rift with mine with quite high settings without difficulties and I believe your CPU is newer than mine you have more ram and same VRAM as 970. Get one ordered Pffft;)

PS NTTR runs better at the moment than Caucasus

i5 8600k@5.2Ghz, Asus Prime A Z370, 32Gb DDR4 3000, GTX1080 SC, Oculus Rift CV1, Modded TM Warthog Modded X52 Collective, Jetseat, W10 Pro 64

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I am experiencing a very odd and vexing issue and wondering if anyone else has run into this.

I can play sometimes 30 minutes to an hour on average, but sometimes much less (as little as 10 minutes) until suddenly essentially the Rift just dies in DCS. I know it is about to happen because the view starts juddering really bad then skipping frames or freezing the view. Then about 30 seconds later the view in the Rift goes completely blank and the mirror view on the desktop freezes.

It **looks** like DCS has frozen but in fact it hasn't. I can continue to hear proper audio, and the flight controls still function. I just have no visuals.

The only way to fix it is to force kill DCS and restart.

My system is as follows taken from DXDiag, and Rift is CV1 with latest updates as far as I know:

Operating System: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 10586) (10586.th2_release_sec.161024-1825)

Processor: Intel® Core i7-4770K CPU @ 3.50GHz (8 CPUs)

Memory: 16384MB RAM

Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Ti

Display Memory: 14263 MB

Intel i7-4770k @ 4.4ghz, 32gb ram, GTX 1080ti, Oculus Rift S

Advanced apologies if my post contains typos or missing letters. Many of my posts are typed on a laptop with an old keyboard that has a personality all its own.

I am experiencing a very odd and vexing issue and wondering if anyone else has run into this.

I can play sometimes 30 minutes to an hour on average, but sometimes much less (as little as 10 minutes) until suddenly essentially the Rift just dies in DCS. I know it is about to happen because the view starts juddering really bad then skipping frames or freezing the view. Then about 30 seconds later the view in the Rift goes completely blank and the mirror view on the desktop freezes.

It **looks** like DCS has frozen but in fact it hasn't. I can continue to hear proper audio, and the flight controls still function. I just have no visuals.

The only way to fix it is to force kill DCS and restart.

My system is as follows taken from DXDiag, and Rift is CV1 with latest updates as far as I know:

Operating System: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 10586) (10586.th2_release_sec.161024-1825)

Processor: Intel® Core i7-4770K CPU @ 3.50GHz (8 CPUs)

Memory: 16384MB RAM

Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Ti

Display Memory: 14263 MB

it seems that your issue is related to the HDMI connector either in the VGA card or the CV1 cables. i had a semilar issue like yours but mine wouldnt even start . i would get the blanks screen the minute i start the Oculus home . My CV1 would give me black screen with the amber light on instead of white while i could hear the sound in the background. i did every thing possible from switching USB to unplugging the cable from CV1 and connecting them back , I even did a fresh install of windows 4 times. nothing worked. till suddenly i thought of switching VGA card ( i had another gtx 970 lying around ) . the minute i switched the card the CV1 went on with no problem. to make sure then i put back the old card the CV1 wouldnt work.

I then figured out that it was a bad HDMI connector from the VGA card. ( the bad card was ASUS sitrix 970 ).

to rule out your issue : start first by making sure your CV1 cables are firmly connected to the headset by removing the foamy protection. and pressing the cables in there. also run a repair for your Oculus software just in case its a driver issue. ( you do so by running the install again it will give you the option to repair)

if your VGA has another HDMI outlet try that and see if it solves your issue if it doesn't have ( mine didn't ) see if you can get a DVI to HDMI converter , alot of people with similar issue reported on Oculus forum that they solved it by getting this converter.

another thing i remembered, is your VGA overclocked , if so make sure that its not a temperature issue or overclocking issue .

Hi

On christmas day, when i've unpacked, plugged and installed my Oculus, i had the same problem. Then i've discovered than some USB additional cards, even in USB 3.0, don't support entirely the Oculus. I've plugged the USB of my oculus and captor , on native USB 3.0 outlets on my motherboard and since that, no problems at all .

Edited by jef32

CPU: I7-6700K 4Ghz, GC: nVidia GeForce Titan X Gigabytes, 32 Go DDR4, Motherboard: Gigabytes Z170X-Gaming 3. OS: W10-Family, 3 HD Samsung SSD 850 Pro 1TB + 1 Samsung SSD EVO 500 Gb. Oculus Rift CV1

One question to fellow VR's if i select in vr settings not to use mouse so only my head moves the pointer it never dissapears in the pit?... this the same for you guys aswell?

If so any way to fix that? Currently i have use mouse selected but issue i have with that is i have a buttkicker and it bounces the cursor everywhere if i center it LOL.

So end state want to use head pointer only but have ability of cursor to dissapear like it does when using the mouse. "feature request"?

Edited by Enduro14

Intel 8700k @5ghz, 32gb ram, 1080ti, Rift S

Oculus Rift with DCS World Discussion

I Recomend to rip of Oculus default face foam, i only left that slim top foam in use -> fov is better and image is sharper too. And nose cap is gone :)

Just Google and you find instructios from net.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oculus CV1, Odyssey, Pimax 5k+ (i5 8400, 24gb ddr4 3000mhz, 1080Ti OC )

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I Recomend to rip of Oculus default face foam, i only left that slim top foam in use -> fov is better and image is sharper too. And nose cap is gone :)

i just did that and what do you know i got a good improvement on my fov and things for me are slightly more clear to read in the pit. With that extra bit of fov checking 6 is alittle easier.

Thanks for the tip!

Intel 8700k @5ghz, 32gb ram, 1080ti, Rift S

My Rift CV1 arrived just in time for the Viggen release. Haven't had much time for DCS lately but now I'm gonna have to make time because it's so damn good. I tested the DK2 a year ago so the experience wasn't a surprise but it's still mindblowing every time and I really can't imagine flying without it now. :joystick:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Are you removing only the foam and leave the plastic thing... Lets call it frame? Is it comfortable enough without foam?

Sent from my Redmi 4 using Tapatalk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

it seems that your issue is related to the HDMI connector either in the VGA card or the CV1 cables. i had a semilar issue like yours but mine wouldnt even start . i would get the blanks screen the minute i start the Oculus home . My CV1 would give me black screen with the amber light on instead of white while i could hear the sound in the background. i did every thing possible from switching USB to unplugging the cable from CV1 and connecting them back , I even did a fresh install of windows 4 times. nothing worked. till suddenly i thought of switching VGA card ( i had another gtx 970 lying around ) . the minute i switched the card the CV1 went on with no problem. to make sure then i put back the old card the CV1 wouldnt work.

I then figured out that it was a bad HDMI connector from the VGA card. ( the bad card was ASUS sitrix 970 ).

to rule out your issue : start first by making sure your CV1 cables are firmly connected to the headset by removing the foamy protection. and pressing the cables in there. also run a repair for your Oculus software just in case its a driver issue. ( you do so by running the install again it will give you the option to repair)

if your VGA has another HDMI outlet try that and see if it solves your issue if it doesn't have ( mine didn't ) see if you can get a DVI to HDMI converter , alot of people with similar issue reported on Oculus forum that they solved it by getting this converter.

another thing i remembered, is your VGA overclocked , if so make sure that its not a temperature issue or overclocking issue .

Hi

On christmas day, when i've unpacked, plugged and installed my Oculus, i had the same problem. Then i've discovered than some USB additional cards, even in USB 3.0, don't support entirely the Oculus. I've plugged the USB of my oculus and captor , on native USB 3.0 outlets on my motherboard and since that, no problems at all .

Thanks guys. It might actually be one or both of these. Normally I use an extension cable (HDMI and USB) for my headset to allow me to get away from the computer and move around for some games. Now this has not caused me an issues before in any Oculus games, but when flying I am in my sim chair and have several additional USB devices hooked up. Five actually, an extra keyboard and mouse, plus stick, throttle, and pedals. So maybe the computer was getting overloaded. In the sim chair I am close enough to the computer that I don't need the extension cables so tonight I tried plugging directly in and I was able to fly the A10c Takeoff and Basic Flight training in its entirety without any problems. Well aside from it taking me two tries to complete the 360 degree level turn to my IPs satisfaction :) Then again not too bad for not having flown in at least a year, more like two years.

Sample size of one there, but hopefully it fixes the issue.

One other question I have for everyone though is any tips on getting your viewpoint correctly positioned? I know all about using the ctrl+shift+NP keys to move the camera around for better positioning but the problem I had was I simply could not find the "right" viewpoint that allowed me to properly see the entire HUD. Either the compass tape was cutoff on the bottom or the TVI and top of the ladder were cut off on the top. I could never find any position that let me see both at once.

On the flip side it forced me to use my instruments more :) Would rather be able to get that view correct though. Any tips on dialing that in? Reference points or anything?

Thanks again!

Advanced apologies if my post contains typos or missing letters. Many of my posts are typed on a laptop with an old keyboard that has a personality all its own.

Are you removing only the foam and leave the plastic thing... Lets call it frame? Is it comfortable enough without foam?

Sent from my Redmi 4 using Tapatalk

No. I just make foam thinner. So i leave that slim part of it. You need to cut foam half , its easy.

Oculus CV1, Odyssey, Pimax 5k+ (i5 8400, 24gb ddr4 3000mhz, 1080Ti OC )

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

One of my technician's has this and brought it in today to show me. It's VERY well made and appears to be a bit softer than the stock foam. There is, however, more gap at the nose since there is no foam there. I was impressed with the quality of the cushion and frame. They did a good job on it.

Derek "BoxxMann" Speare

derekspearedesigns.com 25,000+ Gaming Enthusiasts Trust DSD Components to Perform!

i7-11700k 4.9g | RTX3080ti (finally!)| 64gb Ram | 2TB NVME PCIE4| Reverb G1 | CH Pro Throt/Fighterstick Pro | 4 DSD Boxes

Falcon XT/AT/3.0/4.0 | LB2 | DCS | LOMAC

Been Flight Simming Since 1988!

Useful VR settings and tips for DCS HERE

One of my technician's has this and brought it in today to show me. It's VERY well made and appears to be a bit softer than the stock foam. There is, however, more gap at the nose since there is no foam there. I was impressed with the quality of the cushion and frame. They did a good job on it.

Hmm, I like that there is more gap. will help me with the switchboxes. Thanks for that.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

One other question I have for everyone though is any tips on getting your viewpoint correctly positioned? I know all about using the ctrl+shift+NP keys to move the camera around for better positioning but the problem I had was I simply could not find the "right" viewpoint that allowed me to properly see the entire HUD. Either the compass tape was cutoff on the bottom or the TVI and top of the ladder were cut off on the top. I could never find any position that let me see both at once.

On the flip side it forced me to use my instruments more :) Would rather be able to get that view correct though. Any tips on dialing that in? Reference points or anything?

Thanks again!

So it turns out the majority of my problem was I was trying to "sit" too far back in the virtual cockpit. I had myself slid farther back because it made it a lot easier to interact with the switches on the far aft left and right consoles. However in researching this issue I found some videos on YouTube showing actual pilots flying A-10s and I realized they were a lot closer to the Front Dash/UFC than I realized. I scooted myself up approximately to the real position best I could tell and I was able to view the HUD a lot better. Of course now getting to those aft switches is damned near impossible. I don't know how the real pilots do it especially given how much more cramped it has to be in there.

Good to hear because their DK2 interfaces were pretty crap. Mine still just sit on the shelf unused. The facial interface they made for the DK2 actually changed the profile of the mask and absolutely crushed my nose.

With the CV1 does it keep the same profile of the existing interface, just add the padding?