DCS Carrier Discussion

Airhunter

With the 3D model now finished, it would be nice to see an in-game video.
Yeah, Glowing Amraam is probably laying out the concept and putting things together on the trailer video. Exciting times ahead.

Windows 10 Pro 64bit|Ryzen 5600 @3.8Ghz|EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra|Corair vengence 32G DDR4 @3200mhz|MSI B550|Thrustmaster Flightstick| Virpil CM3 Throttle| Thrustmaster TFRP Rudder Pedal /Samsung Odyssey Plus Headset

I don't know, but this isn't promising.

unknown.png

I think there are other perfectly likely interpretations of NineLine's comment beyond "This isn't promising"

Given that NineLine's a Community Manager living on the other side of the world from a dev team that typically likes to play its cards close to its chest, you could also reasonably interpret the comment as either:

1. "I don't know enough about ED's internal release schedule to comment"

or

2. "I'm not allowed to talk about potential release dates ahead of an official announcement because then people start treating speculation as promises"

i7-7700K @ 4.9Ghz | 16Gb DDR4 @ 3200Mhz | MSI Z270 Gaming M7 | MSI GeForce GTX 1080ti Gaming X | Win 10 Home | Thrustmaster Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Oculus Rift S

I don't know, but this isn't promising.

unknown.png

Yeah that doesn't look good. Like I said before, I'm going to take my emotions out of this thread since I'm really looking forward to this module. The pics were better news than the newsletter.

i9 9900k @5.1GHz NZXT Kraken |Asus ROG Strix Z390 E-Gaming | Samsung NVMe m.2 970 Evo 1TB | LPX 64GB DDR4 3200MHz

EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra | Reverb G1  | HOTAS Warthog | Saitek Flight Pedals

I wasn't expecting to see it released in any form until the first of the year before today, today's newsletter changed nothing as far as that goes. I did enjoy the stills, would love to see some video of the animated crew at the catapults, though to hold me over until Thanksgiving. :)

"These are NOT 1 to 1 replicas of the real aircraft, there are countless compromises made on each of them" - Senior ED Member

Modules - Damn near all of them (no Christian Eagle or Yak)

System - i7-12700K, 64Gig DDR4 3200 RAM, RTX-3080, 3 32" monitors at 5760 x 1080, default settings of High (minor tweaks)

I think ED will try to release something new before the end of the year to get their share of the christmas money. Hopefully, it will be the super carrier but who knows.

Edited by Outlaw24

Spoiler:

MSI Z790 Carbon WIFI, i9 14900KF, 64GB DDR4, MSI RTX 4090, Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle, VKB Gunfighter Ultimate MCG Pro w/200mm Extension, Winwing Orion Rudder Pedals W/damper, UTC MK II Pro, Virpil TCS Plus Collective, Dell AW3418DW Gsync monitor, 970 Pro M2 1TB (for DCS), Playseat Air Force Seat, KW-980 Jetseat, Vaicom Pro, 3X TM Cougar with Lilliput 8" screens. Tek Creations panels and controllers.

I think ED will try to release something new before the end to the year to get their share of the christmas money. Hopefully, it will be the super carrier but who knows.

They already said the P-47 wouldn't be out until next year...the carrier is the only other possibility.

i5 7600K @4.8GHz | 1080 Ti | 32GB 3200MHz | SSD | DCS SETTINGS | "COCKPIT"

I think ED will try to release something new before the end to the year to get their share of the christmas money. Hopefully, it will be the super carrier but who knows.

I'd be so happy with the supercarrier for Christmas! Flying the DCS Tomcat off the Theodore Roosevelt is way beyond everything I could ever dream of even just 5 years ago. We're so lucky! :pilotfly:

Yeah, Glowing Amraam is probably laying out the concept and putting things together on the trailer video. Exciting times ahead.

His videos are great. Guessing he has crossed off his list having an SH-60 or S-3 Viking in it as the current 3d models of these are a dogs breakfast that should belong in Minecraft and not DCS. :noexpression:

Intel i7-8700K | Asus Maximus X Formula | Corsair Vengeance 32GB DDR4 3200MHz | Gainward Phoenix GTX1070 GLH | Samsung 960 EVO NVMe 1 x 250GB OS & 1 x 500GB Games | Corsair RM750x 750W | Corsair Carbide Air 540| Win10 | Dell 27" 1440p 60Hz | Custom water loop: CPU EK-Supremacy EVO, GPU EK-GTX JetStream - Acetal+Nickel & Backplate, Radiator EK-Coolstream PE 360, Pump & Res EK-XRES 140 Revo D5, Fans 3 x EK-Vardar 120mm & 2 x Corsair ML140 140mm

His videos are great. Guessing he has crossed off his list having an SH-60 or S-3 Viking in it as the current 3d models of these are a dogs breakfast that should belong in Minecraft and not DCS. :noexpression:

There's a skin for the UH-60 that makes it look like an S. Check that out.

Banner EDForum2020.jpg

Have fun. Don't suck. Kill bad guys. 👍

https://discord.gg/blacksharkden/

I hope not big fps drop in vr...

System

Hydro H115i with 8700k @ 4,9 ghz all cores, Asus strix Z370 f, 32gb ddr4 3600Mhz, Asusrog swift 34 gsync ,Vr hp Reverb .Palit gaming pro 2080 ti Thrustmaster Warthog f18grip and th pedal

Steamvr ss 100% and dcs world ss 180%

tomcat eats the viper for breakfast :P

Lange lebe die Tomcat": Long live the Cat!

G'day SirJ - thank you very much for the suggestion - i deleted the folders per your suggestion. Wasn't aware of the performance benefits of doing so until I did some research after your reply. Another thing I adjusted was AF to 16X. This step seemed to do the trick. I can't detect a noticeable performance hit either.

Thanks again,

Cheers,

Any word from ED on performance impacts with the new carrier module? In either the Tomcat or Hornet on the Stennis with other aircraft, my FPS dips into the 60's with a 4.8GHz CPU and 1080 Ti, non-VR. Unless some behind the scenes performance improvement magic is happening, I imagine I would see the FPS dip to an unplayable rate with a more detailed and crowded carrier deck.

Any word from ED on performance impacts with the new carrier module? In either the Tomcat or Hornet on the Stennis with other aircraft, my FPS dips into the 60's with a 4.8GHz CPU and 1080 Ti, non-VR. Unless some behind the scenes performance improvement magic is happening, I imagine I would see the FPS dip to an unplayable rate with a more detailed and crowded carrier deck.

Nobody knows anything. All we have are the screenshots. I'm starting to worry, because non of these questions are being answered.

i9 9900k @5.1GHz NZXT Kraken |Asus ROG Strix Z390 E-Gaming | Samsung NVMe m.2 970 Evo 1TB | LPX 64GB DDR4 3200MHz

EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra | Reverb G1  | HOTAS Warthog | Saitek Flight Pedals

Nobody knows anything. All we have are the screenshots. I'm starting to worry, because non of these questions are being answered.

Well worry if you really want to, but they just said this week that :

Supercarrier: the model is 95% complete with deck crew animations progressing well.

Which is 'non-screenshot' news, and tells us that :

- The model's not finished,

and

- The animations aren't finished either.

If they're not finished, they're certainly not optimised.

If they're not finished, and they're not optimised - why would the give performance figures on the carrier as it stands ?

Cheers.

I would like to use the supercarrier with the F14 and if you read my signature, you’ll understand why I am a little worried... .

In your signature I read that you use a 1440p monitor. Do you get those FPS at that resolution?

Planes: FC3, Spitfire, Harrier, F-14, F-18, MiG-21, Edge 540 - Helicopters: UH-1H, Mi-8 - Environments: Persian Gulf, Supercarrier

PC specs in the spoiler

I run DCS 2.7 using:

MasterWatt 550 semi-fanless and semi-modular, core i7-3770 (4 cores @ 3.8 GHz) with 8 GB DDR3, GTX1050 Ti (768 cores @ 1.8 GHz) with 4 GB GDDR5, 5.1 sound card, 240 GB SSD, Windows 8.1T.16000M FCS Flight Pack (i. e. stick+throttle+rudder pedals), opentrack head trakcer

I would like to use the supercarrier with the F14 and if you read my signature, you’ll understand why I am a little worried... .

In your signature I read that you use a 1440p monitor. Do you get those FPS at that resolution?

Yes, I get that FPS in 1440p. I do have most things maxed out, except shadows are low and MSAA 2x. I actually ran the Tomcat mission Defender of the Fleet today and saw my FPS drop into the 50's at times on the carrier depending on where I was looking and how much was in the scene. However, these low FPS numbers are not isolated to the carrier...with the Tomcat I will see 50's-60's at a heavily populated airfield or flying over some of the Persian Gulf cities. Over open areas and up high, I see FPS up into the 100's-120's.

I see a significant drop in FPS with the Hornet on the carrier as well, but I can usually maintain at least 60 FPS.

The Tomcat takes a ton of CPU and GPU power for sure, and it still isn't enough.

I am concerned as well about how much lower performance will go with a more detailed carrier environment.

The below image shows 56 FPS right after landing on the Stennis. I used the F-14 Caucasus Case I Instant Action Mission.

attachment.php?attachmentid=220603&d=1572962991

Edited by =BJM=

Supercarrier Comms

With this upcoming module, Id like to make a suggestion to the devs if they are reading this...

According to SMEs and documentation, crew coordination in the F-14 has the RIO handling external voice comms.

Rolling out in the groove, the pilot would normally tell the RIO over ICS "Ball" or "CLARA" with the RIO then transmitting the actual ball call ie "107, Tomcat ball, 4.0" etc.

A lot of DCS F-14 users don't fly with human RIOS - and if any are like me (extremely busy FLYING the airplane) at this point - making the ball call is adding unrealistic "burden"

My suggestion is for automated radio calls for single crew (no human RIO) F-14 pilots. This would be closest to how it would be procedurally IRL.

The internal ICS comms could be assumed - with the positioning of the aircraft in relation to the meatball - ie visible or not thereby resulting in the simulated RIO ball call or "CLARA".

Id be interested in hearing some SME and/or DEV feedback on this.

Thanks

Dave

Edited by flybull
spelling

Correct. Stennis is a Nimitz class carrier. We are getting another one that will be an optional buy.

I wonder what the price will be, but detailed Nimitz class + animated deck crew + carrier operations ATC is a dream come true for me. Instant buy day 1.

I hope we end up with a Nimitz class with different liveries for each ship and not a different model for each ship.

I hope we end up with a Nimitz class with different liveries for each ship and not a different model for each ship.

According to ED, we're getting the Roosevelt sub-class of the Nimitz, consisting of 5 ships total, all with distinct liveries.

"These are NOT 1 to 1 replicas of the real aircraft, there are countless compromises made on each of them" - Senior ED Member

Modules - Damn near all of them (no Christian Eagle or Yak)

System - i7-12700K, 64Gig DDR4 3200 RAM, RTX-3080, 3 32" monitors at 5760 x 1080, default settings of High (minor tweaks)

With the current carrier Stennis, and using VR, I find flying the ball to be impossible. I can't see it well enough for it to be useful. Is anyone else having the same experience of do I need to adjust some VR settings? Thanks in advance.

486DX w/turbo button