Yaw sting

catchforusthefoxes

Was looking for that myself.

"These are NOT 1 to 1 replicas of the real aircraft, there are countless compromises made on each of them" - Senior ED Member

Modules - Damn near all of them (no Christian Eagle or Yak)

System - i7-12700K, 64Gig DDR4 3200 RAM, RTX-3080, 3 32" monitors at 5760 x 1080, default settings of High (minor tweaks)

Can I ask what why this feature was created when it's totally invisible from the cockpit? Does this mean the cockpit view that is the default is incorrect, and if so, should HB change the default view position?

Intel 11900K/NVIDIA RTX 3090/32GB DDR4 3666/Z590 Asus Maximus motherboard/2TB Samsung EVO Pro/55" LG C9 120Hz @ 4K/Windows 10/Jotunheim Schiit external headphone amp/Virpil HOTAS + MFG Crosswind pedals

Can I ask what why this feature was created when it's totally invisible from the cockpit? Does this mean the cockpit view that is the default is incorrect, and if so, should HB change the default view position?

Yes, the view in the real plane is great, you look down on the entire nose and such, but this is probably monitor/computer limitations.

Punk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I find all the default views in DCS are sitting very low in the seat. I use save-snap-views to raise the default position of almost every plane. I also find having move-cockpit-camera-up/down bound to my HOTAS to be indispensable, again for just about every plane. I think punk is totally correct, it is a limitation of displaying these things on a monitor/computer. Cockpits all feel very wide to me too.

CPU:5600X | GPU:RTX2080 | RAM:32GB | Disk:860EVOm.2

Will there be an option to remove the yaw string in the settings?

I was wondering this myself.

maybe someone know.

Wishlist: (Aircraft)

F/A-18D Hornet | F-14D Tomcat | A-6 Intruder | EA-6 Prowler | E-1B Tracer | E-2B Hawkeye | (Navy) F-4 Phantom | F-104 Starfighter | AH-64 Apache | UH-60/SH-60 | RAH-66 Comanche | Curtiss P-40 | North American T-6 Texan | Mitsubishi A6M | Jak-9

Wishlist: (Map)

Vietnam | Pearl Harbor 1941 | Naval Air Station Pensacola (New Orleans <-> Orlando)

Wishlist: (WWII-Assets-Pack-UPDATE)

USS Arizona | USS Oklahoma | US Aircraft Carrier | Japanese Aircraft Carrier

You gotta remove the HUD camera, it’s easier to see then. And maybe move your viewpoint up just a tad. I do think Heatblur could make the string stand out a bit more. Currently I find it a bit difficult to see, it blends in with the nose a bit

Wait... you can remove the HUD camera??? How?

I wish it would be affected by gravity. Shouldn't point up straight to the canopy when the whole thing stands still on the ground with no wind. Also, wind should be able to blow it into any direction (like wind coming from the back making it point to the nose), but I haven't checked that yet. Apart from that, it's a great little addition that probably is lots for some people, especially those who fly gliders IRL.

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

Yes, the view in the real plane is great, you look down on the entire nose and such, but this is probably monitor/computer limitations.

This. Can confirm in VR it's easy to see the yaw string.

Wait... you can remove the HUD camera??? How?

Left click on it.

• Like 1

Rig: i9 10900KF @5.3GHz | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 3600MHz | ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 3090 24GB OC | ASUS Maximus XII Formula | 2x 2TB Intel SSD6 NVMe M.2 | VKB F-14CG on Gunfighter III Base | TM Warthog HOTAS | TM Rudder Pedals | HP Reverb G2

Hangar: FC3 | F-86F | F-4E [Pre-Ordered] | F-5E | F-14A/B | F-15E | F-16C | F/A-18C | Mirage 2000C | JF-17 | MiG-15bis | MiG-19P | MiG-21bis | AJS-37 | AV-8B | L39 | C-101 | A-10C/CII | Yak-52 | P-51D | P-47D | Fw 190 A-8/D-9 | Bf 109 | Spitfire | I-16 | UH-1 Huey

How can PC or monitor be limited in that matter? If anything it can lack RL contrast and perception but the viewpoint and field of view is totally configurable.

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

I wish it would be affected by gravity. Shouldn't point up straight to the canopy when the whole thing stands still on the ground with no wind. Also, wind should be able to blow it into any direction (like wind coming from the back making it point to the nose), but I haven't checked that yet. Apart from that, it's a great little addition that probably is lots for some people, especially those who fly gliders IRL.

This!!!!

I like how the string behave as soon as the cat has some speed. What looks odd is the tighten string with the cat at cold start or just sitting idle on the tarmac. Could that thing at lest dangle to one side or something?

No big deal, but would add to the illusion and make the perfect mod even more perfect ;)

On occasion, it would get caught in the IFR probe door during ground checks, and the pilot and plane captain would use deft timing and keen rope throwing dynamics to get it out.

I checked yesterday and it doesn't look possible in our bird. It's not long enough :)

Depending on wind direction on the ground I got it lying curved to the side but impossible to make it straight to the side or backwards.

No problems with seeing it when you have trackIR, although you have to have a seat high.

Edited by draconus

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

Dont know about the Tomcat, but on the F-4 (which also has a yaw string) there was a hole on the top of the plane, and inside the nose a place on a bulkhead to tie off the string. USAF paintscheme usually has a contrasting line on the top so you could see the string easily. Pretty much only time the string was present was when you picked up a new jet right out of depot; after it wore off it was rarely replaced (in slatted E models, that were not as sensitive to yaw as the the hardwings). OT, but if you check out 1-300's youtube channel you can see some excellent video of JASDAF hardwing EJs (including the last F-4 built - sn 440) with nice loooong yawstrings attached.

Vulture