Targeting Pod Choice

Kev2go

Was I the only person actually looking forward to LANTIRN?

Hopefully a proper LANTIRN does indeed come later. Sometimes it's refreshing to have kit with limitations and quirks to work around.

Also.....are the reference docs absolutely clear that SNIPER has Auto Maverick Handoff....'cos that could be a capability you loose. LANTIRN has a specific hardware 'Missile Boresight Correlator' for this purpose.

Edited by AvroLanc
  • Like 5

57 minutes ago, =617= Evil said:

Absolutely the right decision. Thank you! 

I'm going to cry tears of joy the first time I take off in a Viper with a Sniper pod and towed decoys. 😎

I cannot wait to discover the Sniper TGP, its capabilities and differences from what we've had all this while, just something new to use and get to fiddle with will be a good refreshment 🙂

Towed decoys is also a cool thing, but i doubt it will be as interesting to use as a new pod 🙂

6 hours ago, NineLine said:

Dear all,

It has been decided that we will release the Sniper TGP before creating an accurate LANTIRN pod to replace the existing Litening TGP. This means that the Litening TGP will remain in its current form until after the delivery of the Sniper TGP. We believe this will be a more popular approach for our customers as no capability will be lost prior to the release of the Sniper TGP. 

As mentioned earlier, we are currently unable to include an accurate Litening TGP given the lack of non-controlled, public reference data. If this changes in the future, we’ll certainly consider adding the Litening back.

Thanks for your patience and understanding and we look forward to continuing to bring you the most accurate F-16C possible.

The ED Team

Sooo, in flight simulator, we are now catering to MUH CAPABILITIES crowd even though its not based on real data and its totally fictional. NICE. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, NineLine said:

Dear all,

It has been decided that we will release the Sniper TGP before creating an accurate LANTIRN pod to replace the existing Litening TGP. This means that the Litening TGP will remain in its current form until after the delivery of the Sniper TGP. We believe this will be a more popular approach for our customers as no capability will be lost prior to the release of the Sniper TGP. 

As mentioned earlier, we are currently unable to include an accurate Litening TGP given the lack of non-controlled, public reference data. If this changes in the future, we’ll certainly consider adding the Litening back.

Thanks for your patience and understanding and we look forward to continuing to bring you the most accurate F-16C possible.

The ED Team

@NineLine, that's a great decision. Thanks.

Can you say where the Sniper stands at the moment? Is it a priority? Are there major technologies you need to develop in order to add it to the Viper? 

Thanks.

11 hours ago, NineLine said:

Dear all,

The ED Team

I knew it would turn out like this. Case closed I guess.

Intel i7-13700KF :: ROG STRIX Z790-A GAMING WIFI D4 :: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB ::  MSI RTX 4080  Gaming X Trio  :: VKB Gunfighter MK.III MCG Ultimate :: VPC MongoosT-50 CM3 :: non-VR :: single player :: open beta

12 hours ago, NineLine said:

Dear all,

The ED Team

Very good decision 😉

Intel i9 13900K | RTX4090 | 64 Gb DDR4 3600 CL18 | 2Tb PCIe4.0 | Varjo Aero | Pico 4 on WIFI6e | Virtual Desktop running VDXR

• ED Team
10 hours ago, nickos86 said:

@NineLine, that's a great decision. Thanks.

Can you say where the Sniper stands at the moment? Is it a priority? Are there major technologies you need to develop in order to add it to the Viper? 

Thanks.

As mentioned in the roadmap the Sniper will start after early access. 

thank you

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

On 4/26/2023 at 2:36 PM, NineLine said:

Dear all,

The ED Team

Great I look forward to all the advanced air to air modes, finally some IRST action! Though that does mean you guys will have to fix the whole IR through clouds issue! Also really really forward to the new MWIR model you guys will have to develop for it.

Cant wait!

Edited by Harlikwin
  • Like 1

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

13 minutes ago, Harlikwin said:

Great I look forward to all the advanced air to air modes, finally some IRST action! Though that does mean you guys will have to fix the whole IR through clouds issue! Also really really forward to the new MWIR model you guys will have to develop for it.

Cant wait!

Err….you realise none of this will likely happen? Or maybe you were being sarcastic in an attempt to dig for information or intentions….. Either way, I have a feeling we’ll both be disappointed. 

41 minutes ago, AvroLanc said:

Err….you realise none of this will likely happen? Or maybe you were being sarcastic in an attempt to dig for information or intentions….. Either way, I have a feeling we’ll both be disappointed. 

If ED is serious about actually modeling a SNIPER pod I 100% expect that all of this will be included. They apparently have access to the full documentation required to give us a high fidelity reproduction of the SNIPER pod. Which as everyone knows is the precursor the F35 DAS system. So I'm 100% confident they will do their absolute best to give us the best quality model they can. Not just some symbology overlay over the current LWIR (totally incorrect) apache IR model.

Edited by Harlikwin
  • Like 2

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Am 26.4.2023 um 22:36 schrieb NineLine:

Dear all,

The ED Team

Thanks to ED then, that is a reasonable way of doing things.

I get the logic, but it wouldve hurt a lot to lose so much functionality until the Sniper XR comes back. And a "fake" litening pod is probably still more true to how an F-16 in 2007 operated in combat, rather than being limited to the ancient Lantirn.

Am 27.4.2023 um 05:23 schrieb MysteriousHonza:

Sooo, in flight simulator, we are now catering to MUH CAPABILITIES crowd even though its not based on real data and its totally fictional. NICE. 

An F-16 flying combat missions in 2007 being limited to a LANTIRN seems to be the unrealistic thing, if all the references towards F-16s with Litenings are to be believed. Especially with the focus on target identification in that era, its frankly a silly prospect to rely on pods without any TV capability.

Like, youre not even argueing for realism, youre just glorifying unrealistic limitations.

And the Sniper XR was literally used on the F-16, so youre even argueing against real equipment? 

Edited by Temetre
  • Like 2

Am 27.4.2023 um 00:17 schrieb AvroLanc:

Was I the only person actually looking forward to LANTIRN?

I dont think anyone is saying "I dont want a LANTIRN ED, stop the development". Having choice between Lantirn/Sniper will add a lot to the plane, im sure.

The problem is that the DCS F-16 is sold with the prospect of simulating a modern fighter, and being limited to the ancient LANTIRN would clearly go against that idea and significantly limit the aircrafts capabilities. It shouldnt be surprising if people were disappointed about the removal of core features, especially when the plane is sold with it.

Additionally, if I see it correctly, people in this thread argued that in 2007, no F-16 would even use a LANTIRN in actual combat scenarios? In that case its not even realistic.

Edited by Temetre
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Temetre said:

Additionally, if I see it correctly, people in this thread argued that in 2007, no F-16 would even use a LANTIRN in actual combat scenarios? In that case its not even realistic.

Not using something in combat doesn't make it unrealistic tho, they still used it just not in combat if what they say is correct.

I like how this turned out however, best solution.

vor 5 Minuten schrieb Furiz:

Not using something in combat doesn't make it unrealistic tho, they still used it just not in combat if what they say is correct.

I mean yeah im not saying the pod is unrealistic, but rather the idea that we would only use the LANTIRN in scenarios for the F16^^

The post felt like it said "its sad people want capabilities over realism" or so?

vor 5 Minuten schrieb Furiz:

I like how this turned out however, best solution.

Yeah I was concerned reading at first reading about the news, but ED actually turned that into a positive thing by apparently making the Sniper higher priority then. Great move! 😄 

Frankly I didnt even knew that the Sniper Pod was coming, or that its actually gonna be a pod more modern than Litening/ATFLIR. And LANTIRN will be fun for more histroical scenarios im sure.

Edited by Temetre

Yeah, it's in the Viper Roadmap page1 pinned in F-16 forum,

I'm only concerned on how long will Early Access state last, since they plan on bringing SniperXR after EA. But lookint at Hornet that is still in EA after how much, 4-5years? and Viper was announced in july 2019, we might have to be patient with Sniper XR.

• Like 3