Normandy 2.0 FAQ

MAESTR0

Hello @MAESTR0!  I love what I've seen so far, and I'm over the moon that Ugra has come back to redo Normandy!  It looks absolutely stunning, especially after the two videos that were released a couple days ago.  The grass airfields such as Guyancourt look so very good! ❤️ However, the list of airfields to be added seems a bit on the smaller side, and I was worried that we might not be seeing the map to its full scale potential without some.  I would hope at least that numerous satellite fields that I haven't mentioned in the following post would be modeled at minimum as a clearing in the trees (which for many, was the most that they ever were).  However, I digress, and this is a small list of some of either the larger, more heavily used, or practical airfields I would hope to see in Normandy 2.

Now, I can't speak for England, but I can speak for France.  I haven't looked at what airfields might be missing (or too included) for England, but it seems other people have already made quite a discussion about that.
There are many other airfields that deserve inclusion in a revamped map, either as historic targets, used by the Luftwaffe, or as landmarks.  I hyperlinked each airfield with a coordinate on Google Maps.

Dinard-Pleurtuit 

Spoiler

Located north near the coast from the landing ground Dinan-Trelivan, as marked on the map in the OP.  It was large, consisting of two concrete runways in an X pattern, one 1.7km runway aligned north-south, and the other 1.6km runway aligned NW/SE.  Accompanied by numerous facilities, and 5 hangars, and three dispersal areas.  It was a heavy target by B-17s and B-24s in the beginnings of June, was was used by the Luftwaffe until it's demolition in late June, possibly early July.

Brogile 

Spoiler

Field airstrip (grass surface, 1000x165 meters) roughly halfway between Caen and Evreux.  Can be useful in DCS as a stopping point or emergency landing ground, as it's rather isolated from other clusters of airfields otherwise.  This would help fill that dead space in the map.  It was officially a satellite strip for the Bernay Saint-Martin airfield, and was first identified by aerial reconnaissance on June 25th, and deemed serviceable at the time of discovery.  It's potentially been serviceable for some time prior to discovery.

Bernay Saint-Martin 

Spoiler

Landing ground.  Taken over by the Germans in 1940, and improved its surface from there, it was largely used as a dispersal for Beaumont-le-Roger field.  While this field was not operational at the time of the invasion, it had been, and was going to be.  No paved surface, measured 915640 meters.  Two hangars were attacked and destroyed in late 1943, and the field was obstructed with trenches on April 11, 1944.  Bombed again by B-17s on June 11, before construction renewed for a new airstrip on the 21st of June, along with 5 more hangars.  I believe, as it was been used prior and shortly after our map's narrow timeline, it is an evident landmark, and I believe is honorable to be at least physically modeled in the terrain if nothing else.

Beaumont-le-Roger 

Spoiler

Another airfield that was used prominently, albeit until late 1943 when III./JG 2 moved from the field, likely to avoid the torrential bombing throughout August and September 1943.  No hangars, but a large number of aircraft shelters to hold 70 fighters at max capacity throughout 3 dispersal areas.  Grass surface, taking up roughly a 1370x915 meter area, in the shape on an L.

Paluel/Saint-Valery-en-Caux

Spoiler

French military airfield originally.  Germans began to strengthen it in 1941 by constructing a concrete runway, and began construction of a second concrete runway in early 1942.  This was canceled in the spring however, and the airfield was by all intents abandoned.  Never saw any Luftwaffe use, though was an allied target in early 1944 and the Germans detonated mines on the runway and obstructed it on June 12.  This, while no use by the Lw is noted, it is significant landmark that would stick out.  The 80 year old concrete runway is in fact, still there today, and the grass clearing on the south side of the concrete is used as a landing strip for aeroclubs today!  The concrete runway itself has been untouched it seems, for 80 years.  You can even see the mine craters still in the runway!

Poix (Croixrault)  

Spoiler

Used as a fighter base during the early months of Battle of Britain.  Underwent development during 1940-41, and during 1943 used as a forward staging field for fighter-bomber raids on England.  Has two concrete runways, a 1.7km one aligned E/W, and the second 1.65km concrete runway aligned NNE/SSW.  This was a very developed airdrome, used by the Luftwaffe until June 20th of 1944, the final unit being the Stab/JG 26.  Nowadays, the airdrome has been rather wiped of its former glory, particularly for the sake of a highway.  However if you look around the area, you will notice there are remnants, especially connected to the nearby roadways, that can give a rough outline of where the old concrete field and taxiways once were.

Saint-André-de-l’Eure  

Spoiler

Only 18km SSE of Evreux, this field was occupied by the Germans and extensively developed as a bomber base, including the construction of concrete runways, repair hangars, dispersal shelters and other infrastructure.  Very active through to early July, 1944.  Two concrete runways, a 1.6km one aligned NW/SE, and a second one 1.65km aligned NE/SW.  Units stationed here in 1944 include 1./KG 51, I./KG 54, III./JG 3, elements of II.//JG 51, 4./KG 6, 4./KG 66, 4.(F)/Aufkl.Gr 123, and Stab/JG 3.  There are elements of this large airdrome still visible today.
A satellite field, Saint-Andre/I was under development at the beginning of June, and was interconnected via shared dispersal areas with the main field.

Dreux-Vernouillet 

Spoiler

I have been told second-hand that this field was confirmed to be included?  This is good news, as this airdrome featured similar activity and development as some others on this list, such as the above Saint-Andre

Paris-Orly (Orly) 

Spoiler

Same as Dreux, I have been told second-hand that this field was similarly confirmed?  This is good news, if true 🙂

Toussus-le-Noble/Paris-Buc  

Spoiler

Paris-Buc, and airfield in very close proximity to Toussus-le-Noble and Guyancourt.  Buc was used by the Potez firm to test aircraft prior to June 1940.  The Luftwaffe then used it as the main base for long-range reconnaissance units serving Luftflotte 3.  Grass surface, overall footprint of 1000x660 meters, with four large and small hangars accompanied with workshops and sheds.  1.(F)/Aufkl.Gr 121 made its home here for the year prior to its leave in August, 1944.
Toussus-le-Noble, an airfield a stone's throw away from Paris-Buc to the southwest.  Received modest use during the Battle for Britain.  Grass surface, measuring 1000x660 meters.  Overall it's much like Paris-Buc, just without the history with the Potez firm.

Melun-Villaroche 

Spoiler

Taken over by Germany in June 1940, it underwent development for 3 years to turn it into a major bomber base.  However by August 1942, most operational bomber units on the west front had been transferred east or to the Mediterranean, after which Villaroche became home to bomber reserve training and replacement groups.  Two concrete runways; one 1.6km aligned N/S, and another 1.65km aligned WNW/ESE, and complete with multiple hangars, workshops and other buildings throughout the site.  Four dispersal areas: north, northeast, southeast, and southwest, for a total of 43 large covered aircraft shelters (each usually holds 3 fighter-sized aircraft per).
Complete with two satellite fields.  Melun/I, a satellite field that consisted of two airstrips in the form of a "V-shape", one measuring 1370x320 meters aligned WNW/ESE, and a 1465x320 meter strip aligned N/S.  Under construction on May 1st.  Melun/II, a single-strip satellite field measured 1555x275 meters with a N/S alignment, construction first noticed on May 1st, with work completed and operational at the start of July.
Bombed and attacked extensively by the allies, harassing units in 1944 based at the airdrome, mainly KG 6 and IV./KG 2.

This is all I can list for now, with detail.  I would also like to stress the major airfields Mondidier, Rosieres, and Roye-Amy/Beuvraignes.  However it's getting late for me, and I need to head to bed.
For further reading, you may find this extensive .PDF here.
Additionally, I've spent the last two weekends and my free time in-between compiling this document together into one map, featuring 850 different, individual airfields, landing grounds, and satellite fields/dummies, used and unused (unused means it's still a landmark after all).  It's not free of mistakes however, as I occasionally forgot to differentiate my longitude between east and west when setting the pin locations.  Be sure to click each pin and read the information, as that will never be misinterpreted from the document.
Paris Area.png

Edited by Magic Zach
  • Like 1

Hardware: T-50 Mongoose, VKB STECS, Saitek 3 Throttle Quadrant, Homemade 32-function Leo Bodnar Button Box, MFG Crosswind Pedals Oculus Rift S

System Specs: MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS, RTX 3090, Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 32GB DDR4-3200, Samsung 860 EVO, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB

Modules: AH-64D, Ka-50, Mi-8MTV2, F-16C, F-15E, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-5E, P-51D, Spitfire Mk LF Mk. IXc, Bf-109K-4, Fw-190A-8

Maps: Normandy, Nevada, Persian Gulf, Syria

On 10/23/2022 at 8:01 PM, MAESTR0 said:

What happens when a player with just Normandy 1 spawns at a field on a Normandy 2 MP server that isn't on the Normandy 1 map?

All obstacles and terrain for both maps will be the same after updates. 

I don't think this answer is clear enough, or addresses the question well. I think the meaning of the question was - will N1 only owners be able to spawn in MP on additional airfields of N2 and if so, how it's going to be solved technically? The answer suggests they will, but I suppose in order to do it, the extra N2 terrain would have to become part of DCS core files, so that every player can see the same "obstacles and terrain" in multiplayer, even if he doesn't own N2. Kind of like in Il-2GB series, where everyone has the same content physically installed on their SSD/HDD, but parts of it are locked/unlocked depending on individual client's purchases. Is that how N2 is going to be implemented?

• Like 1

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

25 minutes ago, Art-J said:

but I suppose in order to do it, the extra N2 terrain would have to become part of DCS core files

Not core, but Normandy v1. Normandy 2 is a completely new map and Normandy v1 will apparently get updated as well to make both terrains similar-ish (elevation data and rough obstacle-placement). How well this will work eventually remains to be seen, but that seems to be the idea.

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hi all,

Maestro thank you with your team for your awesome stuff!

I notice that Funtington airfield does not have the layout of the time!

I don't have much information about this airfield. Just some pictures and diagram on this website: http://www.atlantikwall.co.uk/oldsite/atlantikwall/sussex/funtington01/html/page02.htm

Apparently there were 4 blister hangars plus basic barracks like all the Advanced Landing grounds in 1944.

If you need information on other airfields I will be happy to help you!

Edited by Fred901

18 hours ago, Tinman said:

Not core, but Normandy v1. Normandy 2 is a completely new map and Normandy v1 will apparently get updated as well to make both terrains similar-ish (elevation data and rough obstacle-placement). How well this will work eventually remains to be seen, but that seems to be the idea.

It's all a bit of a guesswork now indeed, but OK, let's think about it - IF all new airfields are going to be added to N1 to maintain MP compatibility, that means N1 will have to be stretched pretty much to the same size as N2. I suppose in such case the only difference between both would be the placement of detailed areas (and proably lack of London and Paris on N1). Mind you, that might still be worth extra 10-14$, but a bit more clarification from MAESTR0 would help figuring out what we can expect.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

Well, Normandy 1 is already roughly that size. If you open it in the mission editor right now and zoom out all the way you pretty much see the same map as the one in this threads first post (minus the new airfields and all the the colorful boxes and L-shapes of course). Most of the area is just barely detailed when you actually fly there.

More info from UGRA or @MAESTR0 is always welcome, and it certainly has been a pleasant change from their usual total radio silence, but most of the info is already in the same post you already quoted an excerpt from and the first post:

On 10/23/2022 at 8:01 PM, MAESTR0 said:

Why is Normandy 2 released separately and what about Normandy 1944?

Normandy 2 is a new map that is created on new technologies and includes a territory much larger than N1944, much more perfect and detailed.

The developers of UM and ED are making it so that all users of Normandy1944 will have a free global update available that will allow them to get their N1944 map at the Normandy 2 technology level and make these maps compatible in online multiplayer scenarios.

[...]

This is a screenshot of a highly detailed map area. Previously, this was a "low detail zone" on the 1944 Normandy map, but now it will be available to all users with this level of detail. This will be for the users of "Normandy 1944" and for the owners of "Normandy 2".

I didn't understand what would happen to my Normandy 1944?

The users will not lose anything, on the contrary, they will gain. The map will receive a global update: improvements to the southern part of England will become available with a detailed coastline and original airfields, there will be an update of buildings and airfields. Also, new terrain textures have been added for England.

On 10/10/2022 at 8:34 PM, MAESTR0 said:

If I only own the Normandy 1944 Map, will I be able to join servers running the Normandy 2.0 map?

Yes, but detail areas included in the Normandy 2.0 map and not in the Normandy 1944 map would be at low detail and missing world objects. This item is still being worked on and may change.

Again, we can only guess how well (or even if) this whole compatibility-business will work until it is actually released. Funnily enough, the screenshots below the bit of text you quoted earlier ("All obstacles and terrain for both maps will be the same after updates") has several examples in it where the two differ wildly (Rows of trees vs. no trees next to the roads in the top left part of the image, four tiny buildings vs. 2 large ones just left of center of the image and the buildings on the right side of the runway to name a few).

Edited by Tinman

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

On 10/26/2022 at 5:00 AM, Fred901 said:

Hi all,

Maestro thank you with your team for your awesome stuff!

I notice that Funtington airfield does not have the layout of the time!

I don't have much information about this airfield. Just some pictures and diagram on this website: http://www.atlantikwall.co.uk/oldsite/atlantikwall/sussex/funtington01/html/page02.htm

Apparently there were 4 blister hangars plus basic barracks like all the Advanced Landing grounds in 1944.

If you need information on other airfields I will be happy to help you!

Holy crap that website is a fantastic resource

Hardware: T-50 Mongoose, VKB STECS, Saitek 3 Throttle Quadrant, Homemade 32-function Leo Bodnar Button Box, MFG Crosswind Pedals Oculus Rift S

System Specs: MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS, RTX 3090, Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 32GB DDR4-3200, Samsung 860 EVO, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB

Modules: AH-64D, Ka-50, Mi-8MTV2, F-16C, F-15E, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-5E, P-51D, Spitfire Mk LF Mk. IXc, Bf-109K-4, Fw-190A-8

On 10/25/2022 at 4:40 PM, Magic Zach said:

Hello @MAESTR0!  I love what I've seen so far, and I'm over the moon that Ugra has come back to redo Normandy!  It looks absolutely stunning, especially after the two videos that were released a couple days ago.  The grass airfields such as Guyancourt look so very good! ❤️ However, the list of airfields to be added seems a bit on the smaller side, and I was worried that we might not be seeing the map to its full scale potential without some.  I would hope at least that numerous satellite fields that I haven't mentioned in the following post would be modeled at minimum as a clearing in the trees (which for many, was the most that they ever were).  However, I digress, and this is a small list of some of either the larger, more heavily used, or practical airfields I would hope to see in Normandy 2.

Now, I can't speak for England, but I can speak for France.  I haven't looked at what airfields might be missing (or too included) for England, but it seems other people have already made quite a discussion about that.
There are many other airfields that deserve inclusion in a revamped map, either as historic targets, used by the Luftwaffe, or as landmarks.  I hyperlinked each airfield with a coordinate on Google Maps.

Dinard-Pleurtuit 

Reveal hidden contents

Located north near the coast from the landing ground Dinan-Trelivan, as marked on the map in the OP.  It was large, consisting of two concrete runways in an X pattern, one 1.7km runway aligned north-south, and the other 1.6km runway aligned NW/SE.  Accompanied by numerous facilities, and 5 hangars, and three dispersal areas.  It was a heavy target by B-17s and B-24s in the beginnings of June, was was used by the Luftwaffe until it's demolition in late June, possibly early July.

Brogile 

Reveal hidden contents

Field airstrip (grass surface, 1000x165 meters) roughly halfway between Caen and Evreux.  Can be useful in DCS as a stopping point or emergency landing ground, as it's rather isolated from other clusters of airfields otherwise.  This would help fill that dead space in the map.  It was officially a satellite strip for the Bernay Saint-Martin airfield, and was first identified by aerial reconnaissance on June 25th, and deemed serviceable at the time of discovery.  It's potentially been serviceable for some time prior to discovery.

Bernay Saint-Martin 

Reveal hidden contents

Landing ground.  Taken over by the Germans in 1940, and improved its surface from there, it was largely used as a dispersal for Beaumont-le-Roger field.  While this field was not operational at the time of the invasion, it had been, and was going to be.  No paved surface, measured 915640 meters.  Two hangars were attacked and destroyed in late 1943, and the field was obstructed with trenches on April 11, 1944.  Bombed again by B-17s on June 11, before construction renewed for a new airstrip on the 21st of June, along with 5 more hangars.  I believe, as it was been used prior and shortly after our map's narrow timeline, it is an evident landmark, and I believe is honorable to be at least physically modeled in the terrain if nothing else.

Beaumont-le-Roger 

Reveal hidden contents

Another airfield that was used prominently, albeit until late 1943 when III./JG 2 moved from the field, likely to avoid the torrential bombing throughout August and September 1943.  No hangars, but a large number of aircraft shelters to hold 70 fighters at max capacity throughout 3 dispersal areas.  Grass surface, taking up roughly a 1370x915 meter area, in the shape on an L.

Paluel/Saint-Valery-en-Caux

Reveal hidden contents

French military airfield originally.  Germans began to strengthen it in 1941 by constructing a concrete runway, and began construction of a second concrete runway in early 1942.  This was canceled in the spring however, and the airfield was by all intents abandoned.  Never saw any Luftwaffe use, though was an allied target in early 1944 and the Germans detonated mines on the runway and obstructed it on June 12.  This, while no use by the Lw is noted, it is significant landmark that would stick out.  The 80 year old concrete runway is in fact, still there today, and the grass clearing on the south side of the concrete is used as a landing strip for aeroclubs today!  The concrete runway itself has been untouched it seems, for 80 years.  You can even see the mine craters still in the runway!

Poix (Croixrault)  

Reveal hidden contents

Used as a fighter base during the early months of Battle of Britain.  Underwent development during 1940-41, and during 1943 used as a forward staging field for fighter-bomber raids on England.  Has two concrete runways, a 1.7km one aligned E/W, and the second 1.65km concrete runway aligned NNE/SSW.  This was a very developed airdrome, used by the Luftwaffe until June 20th of 1944, the final unit being the Stab/JG 26.  Nowadays, the airdrome has been rather wiped of its former glory, particularly for the sake of a highway.  However if you look around the area, you will notice there are remnants, especially connected to the nearby roadways, that can give a rough outline of where the old concrete field and taxiways once were.

Saint-André-de-l’Eure  

Reveal hidden contents

Only 18km SSE of Evreux, this field was occupied by the Germans and extensively developed as a bomber base, including the construction of concrete runways, repair hangars, dispersal shelters and other infrastructure.  Very active through to early July, 1944.  Two concrete runways, a 1.6km one aligned NW/SE, and a second one 1.65km aligned NE/SW.  Units stationed here in 1944 include 1./KG 51, I./KG 54, III./JG 3, elements of II.//JG 51, 4./KG 6, 4./KG 66, 4.(F)/Aufkl.Gr 123, and Stab/JG 3.  There are elements of this large airdrome still visible today.
A satellite field, Saint-Andre/I was under development at the beginning of June, and was interconnected via shared dispersal areas with the main field.

Dreux-Vernouillet 

Reveal hidden contents

I have been told second-hand that this field was confirmed to be included?  This is good news, as this airdrome featured similar activity and development as some others on this list, such as the above Saint-Andre

Paris-Orly (Orly) 

Reveal hidden contents

Same as Dreux, I have been told second-hand that this field was similarly confirmed?  This is good news, if true 🙂

Toussus-le-Noble/Paris-Buc  

Reveal hidden contents

Paris-Buc, and airfield in very close proximity to Toussus-le-Noble and Guyancourt.  Buc was used by the Potez firm to test aircraft prior to June 1940.  The Luftwaffe then used it as the main base for long-range reconnaissance units serving Luftflotte 3.  Grass surface, overall footprint of 1000x660 meters, with four large and small hangars accompanied with workshops and sheds.  1.(F)/Aufkl.Gr 121 made its home here for the year prior to its leave in August, 1944.
Toussus-le-Noble, an airfield a stone's throw away from Paris-Buc to the southwest.  Received modest use during the Battle for Britain.  Grass surface, measuring 1000x660 meters.  Overall it's much like Paris-Buc, just without the history with the Potez firm.

Melun-Villaroche 

Reveal hidden contents

Taken over by Germany in June 1940, it underwent development for 3 years to turn it into a major bomber base.  However by August 1942, most operational bomber units on the west front had been transferred east or to the Mediterranean, after which Villaroche became home to bomber reserve training and replacement groups.  Two concrete runways; one 1.6km aligned N/S, and another 1.65km aligned WNW/ESE, and complete with multiple hangars, workshops and other buildings throughout the site.  Four dispersal areas: north, northeast, southeast, and southwest, for a total of 43 large covered aircraft shelters (each usually holds 3 fighter-sized aircraft per).
Complete with two satellite fields.  Melun/I, a satellite field that consisted of two airstrips in the form of a "V-shape", one measuring 1370x320 meters aligned WNW/ESE, and a 1465x320 meter strip aligned N/S.  Under construction on May 1st.  Melun/II, a single-strip satellite field measured 1555x275 meters with a N/S alignment, construction first noticed on May 1st, with work completed and operational at the start of July.
Bombed and attacked extensively by the allies, harassing units in 1944 based at the airdrome, mainly KG 6 and IV./KG 2.

This is all I can list for now, with detail.  I would also like to stress the major airfields Mondidier, Rosieres, and Roye-Amy/Beuvraignes.  However it's getting late for me, and I need to head to bed.
For further reading, you may find this extensive .PDF here.
Additionally, I've spent the last two weekends and my free time in-between compiling this document together into one map, featuring 850 different, individual airfields, landing grounds, and satellite fields/dummies, used and unused (unused means it's still a landmark after all).  It's not free of mistakes however, as I occasionally forgot to differentiate my longitude between east and west when setting the pin locations.  Be sure to click each pin and read the information, as that will never be misinterpreted from the document.
Paris Area.png

You missed Coulommiers. It's about 20km east of Paris and the only airfield with an operational nightfighter squadron in the relevant timeframe. 

II./Njg4 operated from Coulommiers from May till August of '44 (https://www.ww2.dk/air/njagd/njg4.htm)

Edited by MrExplosion

Kein Anderer als ein Jäger spürt,

Den Kampf und Sieg so konzentriert.

Das macht uns glücklich, stolz und froh,

Der Jägerei ein Horrido!

On 10/27/2022 at 10:33 AM, MrExplosion said:

You missed Coulommiers. It's about 20km east of Paris and the only airfield with an operational nightfighter squadron in the relevant timeframe. 

4./Njg4 operated from Coulommiers from May till August of '44 (https://www.ww2.dk/air/njagd/njg4.htm)

I didn't include it because it appears to be beyond the boundary of Normandy 2's area, looks like the border lies right on the east border of Paris.  While as you say, Coulommiers is 20km east of Paris
Coulommiers.png

Edited by Magic Zach
edit
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Magic Zach said:

I didn't include it because it appears to be beyond the boundary of Normandy 2's area, looks like the border lies right on the east border of Paris.  While as you say, Coulommiers is 20km east of Paris
Coulommiers.png

Yea it does seem to be right on the border, but it would be a shame not to include it due it's equipment and the fact it is needed to recreate realistic nightfighter ops.

• Like 1

Kein Anderer als ein Jäger spürt,

Den Kampf und Sieg so konzentriert.

Das macht uns glücklich, stolz und froh,

Der Jägerei ein Horrido!

Will this map ship with any new assets like the South Atlantic Map did?

I ask because, frankly, I’m getting tired of shooting down the same old Ju-88 torpedo bombers and I’d really like a He-111 to shoot at.

I feel like, as exciting as this new map is, as soon as I download it and load up a mission… it’s just gonna be the same thing I’ve been doing.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Barrett_g said:

I ask because, frankly, I’m getting tired of shooting down the same old Ju-88 torpedo bombers and I’d really like a He-111 to shoot at.

I feel like, as exciting as this new map is, as soon as I download it and load up a mission… it’s just gonna be the same thing I’ve been doing.

Agree totally… the He 111 is the iconic German Bomber of WW2 and an absolute must for a WW2 map. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Barrett_g said:

4 minutes ago, Semaphore said:

Agree totally… the He 111 is the iconic German Bomber of WW2 and an absolute must for a WW2 map. 

Ugra Media dont build the WW2 assets units or have a assets pack team to make them. Actually WW2 assets pack has build by ED and continue expand them but not know your next incoming units.

Other 3rd Parties as Magnitude 3 has building WW2 Pacific assets.

Edited by Silver_Dragon
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Silver_Dragon said:

Ugra Media dont build the WW2 assets units or have a assets pack team to make them. Actually WW2 assets pack has build by ED and continue expand them but not know your next incoming units.

Other 3rd Parties as Magnitude 3 has building WW2 Pacific assets.

Are you part of Ugra media?

10 minutes ago, Barrett_g said:

Are you part of Ugra media?

No part of ugra media team, but Ugra Media never has confirm none about a "assets team" on the last years from Normandy, Syria or Normandy 2.0 maps and any previous questions about them has put a "No plans" answer.

Building assets require a dedicate team with build them on the main DCS SDK as making RAZBAM, ED, Dekka or M3, etc, outside the TDK (Terrain Develop Kit), used by ED, Ugra Media and other new 3rd parties to make maps.

Edited by Silver_Dragon

1 hour ago, Gunfreak said:

Ugra is making several flyable units for IL2, so the obviously they have the technical expertise to make assets, not just maps.

I’d think any 3D modeler could make a He-111, a Vickers Wellington, and a B-25.

Once the 3D model is made just use the already in place A-20G AI and flight model.

Obviously you couldn’t do this with fighters that a player would dogfight with…. Each fighter flight model needs to be as close as possible…..

But two engine medium bombers don’t have to have precise flight models.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ZaHaDum said:

Is there any information regarding autumn (season) colours in Normandy 2.0 ?

There will only be one season for normandy 2 (summer).

From the first post of the thread: 

We plan for the Normandy 2.0 to only include the summer season as it is being created around operations in Normandy in the summer of 1944 (Opération Neptune).

Edited by Nirvi
  • Like 3

Am 1.11.2022 um 20:26 schrieb Barrett_g:

I’d think any 3D modeler could make a He-111, a Vickers Wellington, and a B-25.

Once the 3D model is made just use the already in place A-20G AI and flight model.

Obviously you couldn’t do this with fighters that a player would dogfight with…. Each fighter flight model needs to be as close as possible…..

But two engine medium bombers don’t have to have precise flight models.

Only having the He-111 and Wellington as AI assets in the WWII asset pack would expand the possibilitys to a total other level. Having only the Ju 88 with one skin at the axis side is way to little in there

• Like 1

DCS: WW2, as it stands, is currently simulating a

1. late war, 

2. daylight,

3. tactical operations

environment.

The He-111 and Wellington are chronologically and operationally irrelevant in this scenario. 

B-26 and B-25 for the Allies make sense. They were slated for the Asset Pack and hopefully we will see them included in the near future.

The Luftwaffe bomber issue is more knotty. There are a few chronologically relevant types, the He 177, Do 217 & Ju 88S, for example.

The issue is these were almost exclusively used nocturnally. The days of massed daylight Luftwaffe muti-engines bombers in the ETO ended in 1943. 

Don't let the search lights fool, you, DCS: WW2 cannot simulate an accurate air-to-air night-fighting environment currently - no GCI for either side and no radar equipped night-fighters.

Sounds like you chaps want to re-create the Battle of Britain.... Not a thing in DCS right now.

• Like 5

20 minutes ago, DD_Fenrir said:

DCS: WW2, as it stands, is currently simulating a

1. late war, 

2. daylight,

3. tactical operations

environment.

The He-111 and Wellington are chronologically and operationally irrelevant in this scenario. 

B-26 and B-25 for the Allies make sense. They were slated for the Asset Pack and hopefully we will see them included in the near future.

The Luftwaffe bomber issue is more knotty. There are a few chronologically relevant types, the He 177, Do 217 & Ju 88S, for example.

The issue is these were almost exclusively used nocturnally. The days of massed daylight Luftwaffe muti-engines bombers in the ETO ended in 1943. 

Don't let the search lights fool, you, DCS: WW2 cannot simulate an accurate air-to-air night-fighting environment currently - no GCI for either side and no radar equipped night-fighters.

Sounds like you chaps want to re-create the Battle of Britain.... Not a thing in DCS right now.

WW2 dcs isn't simulating anything.  It's just random ww2 thrown in there.

While K4, and D9 P51D and P47 modules are very late war(P5D bearly being available by Normandy invasion and same goes for K4 and D9. The A8 is the only German plane one could except to see in any numbers in spring summer 44. 

And the IX and Mossie goes back to late 42 early 43.  Then you have the Donkey that goes back to pre war days. And will get the IL 7 which is very very late war in a completely different theater we don't even have.

And the channel map is like 43 era from what I understand only suitable to fly Spits and Mossies. 

So no DCS isn't stimulating late ww2, it has some random maps and random planes that don't really match anything. The P51D, D9, K4 would fit much better in with a Bodenplatte map. Than a Normandy map. A P51 B/C would have fit much better with Normandy, and so would a 109G model.

Edited by Gunfreak
  • Like 2

i7 13700k @5.2ghz, GTX 3090, 64Gig ram 4800mhz DDR5, M2 drive.

I-16 Type 24 might be ill suited performance wise together with late war models we mostly have, but Type 24 was a kind of late model, not pre-war at all. Types 5, 10, and 17-18 quickly after started the war, we've got nothing of that.

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice

3 hours ago, Gunfreak said:

While K4, and D9 P51D and P47 modules are very late war(P5D bearly being available by Normandy invasion and same goes for K4 and D9. The A8 is the only German plane one could except to see in any numbers in spring summer 44. 

Mostly agreed. The P-47D-30 (early) was available from late May 1944 however.

And the IX and Mossie goes back to late 42 early 43. 

Incorrect. They were introduced in early/mid 1943 and represent types still in the frontline in 1944 and reflect the performance of the models from that era.

The I-16 is an outlier provided by a 3rd party and represents a separate theatre. Thus has no real impact on the conversation.

And the channel map is like 43 era from what I understand only suitable to fly Spits and Mossies. 

Incorrect. It's an amalgamation. The format of the UK airfields available puts it squarely in April 1944. French airfields are more of a mish-mash, some Battle of Britain era, some even reflecting their post war layouts.

So no DCS isn't stimulating late ww2, it has some random maps and random planes that don't really match anything. The P51D, D9, K4 would fit much better in with a Bodenplatte map. Than a Normandy map. A P51 B/C would have fit much better with Normandy, and so would a 109G model.

Agreed in detail but the sentiment remains that currently, the majority of our WW2 assets are focused on a period in the ETO from 1943 till 1945. Are there gaps? Sure. Do I wish to these filled? Absolutely.

But does it not make sense to spend development effort fleshing out that specific time period? Fill the gaps in the current chronology - not supply random assets from irrelevant theatres or campaigns that are not useful in recreating prototypical operations.

• Like 3