Obnoxious DCS startup times since 2.8.6.41393 OpenBeta MT (around 120 seconds!)

Go to solution Solved by BIGNEWY,

Painfully long load times here too. Particularly frustrating today as I'm working on some settings and have to shut down and restart DCS multiple times.

Just as I'm typing this, I got "the website is not available." Not sure if that's related...

• Like 1

Ryzen 7 5800X3D / Asus Crosshair VI Hero X370 / Corsair H110i / Sapphire Nitro+ 6800XT / 32Gb G.Skill TridentZ 3200 / Samsung 980 Pro M.2 / Virpil Warbrd base + VFX and TM grips / Virpil CM3 Throttle / Saitek Pro Combat pedals / Reverb G2

Right, noticed the same, it looks like it was touched but the result of opening is too long.

On 6/23/2023 at 10:22 AM, Tepnox said:

Hello friends.

I have very long DCS startup times with the newest 2.8.6.41393 OpenBeta Update.

I can perfectly replicate the issue by rolling back and forth between the last two updates - I measured the time from clicking the shortcut until the main-menu is fully loaded after second launch (DCS MT, VR and no-VR have the same loading times) - shaders folders were already re-established:

DCS 2.8.6.41066 Open Beta MT: 35 seconds average (the auth-verification takes alone around 10 seconds)

DCS 2.8.6.41363 Open Beta MT: 120 seconds on average (the auth-verification takes alone around 40 seconds)

I already did slow repair with extra file inspection and deleted the SavedGames/DCS folder after switching between updates. Issue persists.

Something is clearly off with the newest 2.8.6.41393 OpenBeta.

Anyone else?

Also some freezes: 

Webmaster of http://www.yoyosims.pl

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Win 10 64, i9-13900 KF, RTX  4090 24Gb OC, RAM 64Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3600MHz,, 3xSSD+3xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5, [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

The same, also some freezes 

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Win 10 64, i9-13900 KF, RTX  4090 24Gb OC, RAM 64Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3600MHz,, 3xSSD+3xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5, [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

Sometimes DCS thinks too much about going out too after this update. Too long.

• Like 2

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

+1 in VR.

Via MT, over 3mins from Auth Login Screen to DCS Main Menu.

MP server list is taking quiet a bit longer to populate

DCS freeze upon Existing Game, almost like a system lockup when existing M.T

@BIGNEWY Can this be looked into per above ^

I'm sure we are not the only ones with above issues since latest O.B

Thank you kindly.

• Like 4

I think its a Topic for @Flappie 😉 so summary, after the last update:

- extended sim loading time (several times more),
- minor freezes during the game (after reboot its ok again), noticed here (not my video): 

- extended closing time

If they need we can add log dcs too. Before the update with F-15E I didnt notice things like this (DCS OB MT).

I have DCS on NVMe disc, 8000Mb/s.

Edited by YoYo
  • Like 1

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

• ED Team

Hi all, 

if you have dcs logs from a session where the load was longer than expected please attach them. 

Please remove all unofficial mods and edits and run a slow repair or verify if steam. 

Please keep this thread for long load times, if you have a freeze include it in a different thread. 

thanks 

threads merged

• Like 2

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

I would like to contribute some more logs. Having DCS installed and running on my second PC behaves with exactly the same issues regarding startup-time. These are the results after updating to DCS 2.8.6.41363 Open Beta and slow-repair, second startup:

dcs MT 2.8.6.41363.log around 100 seconds with MT

dcs ST 2.8.6.41363.log around 93 seconds with ST

Rolling back (slow repair and second startup) to prior update DCS 2.8.6.41066 Open Beta results in:

dcs MT 2.8.6.41066.log around 30 seconds with MT

dcs ST 2.8.6.41066.log around 30 seconds with ST

• Like 5

Ryzen 7 5800X3D // 64 GB RAM // RTX 4090 // Quest Pro // Quest 3

Same here, after the latest patch the loading time is signifficantly longer. Using MT and VR. Around 150 seconds loading. When watching CPU and GPU - the GPU is on 50% during the starting and 2 CPU cores 100%.  LOG attached. 

dcs.log

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/23/2023 at 5:09 AM, Lace said:

Yeah, a bit slower than the previous version, but it's not like we're talking 20+ minutes here, it is less time than it takes to make a cup of tea.  I do wonder how some DCS players cope with real life sometimes.

Why would you feel compelled to spend time negatively responding to a post in which players are trying to note impacting game change observations to help others out and to find out if there's something which needs attention from ED? I honestly don't understand people like you who feel that then have to weigh in on conversations others are having. I personally came here to see if others are having this issue too and so this conversation was helpful. As other stated, the significantly increased load times can impact people who are trying to adjust settings or are troubleshooting other issues (such as I have been doing). Take your poor attitude elsewhere please. Nobody needs to hear it here.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, Str][ker said:

Why would you feel compelled to spend time negatively responding to a post in which players are trying to note impacting game change observations to help others out and to find out if there's something which needs attention from ED? I honestly don't understand people like you who feel that then have to weigh in on conversations others are having. I personally came here to see if others are having this issue too and so this conversation was helpful. As other stated, the significantly increased load times can impact people who are trying to adjust settings or are troubleshooting other issues (such as I have been doing). Take your poor attitude elsewhere please. Nobody needs to hear it here.

My point was, that while these issues should quite correctly be raised, in order for ED to address them in subsequent Open Beta patches, the language used was overdramatic.  To describe a minute or two of additional loading time as 'obnoxious' suggests to me that a little perspective is sometimes required.  The fact that the person I responded to took it in good spirit means my comments were not unjustified.  I'm sure he/she appreciates your 'white-knighting' though, and thank you for your valuable feedback.

• Like 1

Laptop Pilot. Alienware X17, i9 11980HK 5.0GHz, 16GB RTX 3080, 64GB DDR4 3200MHz, NVMe SSD. 2x TM Warthog, Hornet grip, Virpil CM2 & TPR pedals, FSSB-R3, Cougar throttle, Viper pit WIP (XBox360 when traveling). Rift S.

NTTR, SoH, Syria, Sinai, Channel, South Atlantic, CA, Supercarrier, FC3, A-10CII, F-5, F-14, F-15E, F-16, F/A-18, F-86, Harrier, M2000, F1, Viggen, MiG-21, Yak-52, L-39, MB-339, CE2, Gazelle, Ka-50, Mi-8, Mi-24, Huey, Apache, Spitfire, Mossie.  Wishlist: Tornado, Jaguar, Buccaneer, F-117 and F-111.

I'm seeing a lot more ram activity, but at slower rate than normal on performance monitor. Suggests something changed on a fundamental level, like perhaps a debugger got left on by mistake. Even our servers are taking a lot longer to boot, respond, and occasionally suffer from lag spikes. Something is dragging everything that's related to loading/caching, but frame rate seems unaffected. It's very much like when a game is run behind a lot of antivirus software...

This recent update (with F-15E) is so slow to load for me and a couple of my friends.  Takes about 2.25 mins to get to the main menu! Usually takes about 15-20 seconds.

Very slow in going back to desktop as well.

Didn't see a post about this already.

• Like 3

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

I concur.

System spec: i9 9900K, Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Ultra motherboard, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200 RAM, Corsair M.2 NVMe 1Tb Boot SSD. Seagate 1Tb Hybrid mass storage SSD. ASUS RTX2080TI Dual OC, Thermaltake Flo Riing 360mm water pumper, EVGA 850G3 PSU. HP Reverb, TM Warthog, Crosswind pedals, Buttkicker Gamer 2.

55 minutes ago, Lace said:

My point was, that while these issues should quite correctly be raised, in order for ED to address them in subsequent Open Beta patches, the language used was overdramatic.  To describe a minute or two of additional loading time as 'obnoxious' suggests to me that a little perspective is sometimes required.  The fact that the person I responded to took it in good spirit means my comments were not unjustified.  I'm sure he/she appreciates your 'white-knighting' though, and thank you for your valuable feedback.

Yea well, no hard feelings here. "Obnoxious" is maybe a little dramatic in some views - the time I posted this thread it really bothered me for sure.

It is kind of a drama each time hoping the next OB patch will fix issues or improve overall performance but it seems ED always wants to impress in a negative way. I get it that things will break and needs to be addressed in a future update. But the regularity of those hit and misses have a very bad taste in my mouth. I often have the feeling that ED is having a complete other build they are playtesting - if they test internally at all. I really would wish for more polished implementations of features & fixes that are solid while published in the Open Beta - not half baked implemented that needs a dozen follow-up patches. The joker cards aka "WIP" or "OpenBeta" do not help either.

I am passionate about DCS and want ED to succeed with their product - but often they could really just do better.

I guess they will fix this issue SOON in a future update in 2-3 weeks. So we are back in the waiting game.

Edited by Tepnox

Ryzen 7 5800X3D // 64 GB RAM // RTX 4090 // Quest Pro // Quest 3

Just now, Tepnox said:

Yea well, no hard feelings here. "Obnoxious" is maybe a little dramatic in some views - the time I posted this thread it really bothered me for sure.

It is kind of a drama each time hoping the next OB patch will fix issues or improve overall performance but it seems ED always wants to impress in a negative way. I get it that things will brake and needs to be addressed in a future update. But the regularity of those hit and misses have a very bad taste in my mouth. I often have the feeling that ED is having a complete other build they are playtesting - if they test internally at all. I really would wish for more polished implementations of features & fixes that are solid while published in the Open Beta - not half baked implemented that needs a dozen follow-up patches. The joker cards aka "WIP" or "OpenBeta" do not help either.

I am passionate about DCS and want ED to succeed with their product - but often they could really just do better.

I guess they will fix this issue SOON in a future update in 2-3 weeks. So we are back in the waiting game.

I've been here a while, and my experience with OB patches, is that it is often one step forward, two steps back, but long term things get sorted eventually.  MT is still unusable for me, for instance, but I'm confident ED will get there eventually.  With module announcements coming sometimes a decade before release, patience, when DCS is concerned, is most definitely a virtue.

• Like 1

Laptop Pilot. Alienware X17, i9 11980HK 5.0GHz, 16GB RTX 3080, 64GB DDR4 3200MHz, NVMe SSD. 2x TM Warthog, Hornet grip, Virpil CM2 & TPR pedals, FSSB-R3, Cougar throttle, Viper pit WIP (XBox360 when traveling). Rift S.

NTTR, SoH, Syria, Sinai, Channel, South Atlantic, CA, Supercarrier, FC3, A-10CII, F-5, F-14, F-15E, F-16, F/A-18, F-86, Harrier, M2000, F1, Viggen, MiG-21, Yak-52, L-39, MB-339, CE2, Gazelle, Ka-50, Mi-8, Mi-24, Huey, Apache, Spitfire, Mossie.  Wishlist: Tornado, Jaguar, Buccaneer, F-117 and F-111.

The first initial load on a cold start of my PC seems to be the worst loading time. After that, if I close DCS and re-start it, the load times are closer to the old ones but still not quite as fast.

• Like 1

"These are NOT 1 to 1 replicas of the real aircraft, there are countless compromises made on each of them" - Senior ED Member

Modules - Damn near all of them (no Christian Eagle or Yak)

System - i7-12700K, 64Gig DDR4 3200 RAM, RTX-3080, 3 32" monitors at 5760 x 1080, default settings of High (minor tweaks)