Can you A-A refuel in DCS poll?

Stratos

How many of you can A-A refuel and how many cannot?  

181 members have voted

1. 1. Can you A-A refuel on DCS?

• - Yeah, I can do it
    • - No, I cannot

I'm curious how many here can refuel their planes in DCS and how many like me cannot no matter what.

That's it. Thanks.

And please please please, do not post more info that needed, simply vote.

Edited by Stratos
  • Like 1

I don't understand anything in russian except Davai Davai!

Until we get realistic basket / boom physics it is and will stay just super easy.

• Like 4

i7 - 9700K | 32 GB DDR4 3200 | RTX 2080 | VKB Gunfighter Mk II /w MCG Pro | Virpil T-50CM2 Throttle | TrackIR 5 | VKB Mk. IV

AJS-37 | A/V-8B | A-10C | F-14A/B | F-16C | F-18C | F-86F | FC3 | JF-17 | Ka-50 | L-39 | Mi-8 | MiG-15bis | MiG-19 | MiG-21bis | M2000-C | P-51D | Spitfire LF Mk. IX | UH-1H

With some module better than other ( and few exception where I'm totally unable ) but YES

FlighRIG => CPU: RyZen 5900x | RAM: 64GB Corsair 3000Mhz | GPU: nVIDIA RTX 4090 FE | OS Storage: SSD NVMe Samsung 850 Pro 512GB, DCS Storage: SSD NVMe Sabrent 1TB | Device: Multipurpose-UFC, VirPil T-50, TM WARTHOG Throttle, TrackHat, MFD Cougar with screen.

Our Servers => [ITA] Banshee | Krasnodar - PvE | PersianConquest PvE Live Map&Stats | Syria Liberation PvE Conquest

Support us on twitch subscribing with amazon prime account linked, it's free!

It only seems impossible until you get it and then it becomes very easy, a skill you don’t unlearn like riding a bicycle. And the ability with one aircraft will translate to others.

• Like 5

i9-14900KS | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

Yes but I need to practice regularly. It is a perishable skill after all 😇 

• Like 3
Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset

21 hours ago, SharpeXB said:

a skill you don’t unlearn like riding a bicycle.

10 hours ago, Raven (Elysian Angel) said:

It is a perishable skill after all

Interesting! Others wrote the same thing in another thread.

I get rusty myself depending on the airframe. The F-14 is the one my skills vanishes quickest in, while in the the F-18 it never does. 

Cheers! 

vor 10 Stunden schrieb MAXsenna:

The F-14 is the one my skills vanishes quickest in, while in the the F-18 it never does. 

Funny, for me it's the other way round. I find the Hornet to be a little too pitch-sensitive for my taste, making it a little bit harder to refuel in than the "chilled" Tomcat. The F-14 is very stable for me, but I have to admit, having a FFB stick makes trimming a lot (!) easier. So refueling in the Hornet for me is a more perishable skill than in the Tomcat or Viper.

For me. from easiest to hardest: F-14 --> F-16 --> A-10C --> Hornet -> F-15E Strike Eagle.

In the F-15E it's a little annoying to keep maintaining forward/aft position. You get a disconnect even if you creep  just a little bit too far forward (second, but still "green", bar on the tanker's indicator). And if you drift too far back, it's harder/ takes longer to catch up than, say, in a Viper.

Edited by Jayhawk1971
  • Like 1

I think equipment matters.  I couldn't do it with X52 Pro and once I switched to Gladiator NXT, it became easy all of sudden.  VR helps a ton with depth perception.

And try to find your own method that works for you.  I watched a lot of videos and all of them said focus on the pylon/tanker and basket in peripheral vision.  Took me a while to realize the reverse worked for me.  I focus on the basket and have the tanker in peripheral vision.

And boom to me is easier as it's like formation flying to me.  Everyone's different.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Taz1004 said:

I think equipment matters.

1000%. Good controllers reduce the difficulty, which should be fairly obvious. Inconsistent inputs, weird deadzones, etc, create a nightmare and terrible learning environment.

22 hours ago, Raven (Elysian Angel) said:

Yes but I need to practice regularly. It is a perishable skill after all 😇 

Practice is required yeah. It's easy to forget all the cues and tricks you use, especially if you don't have time to do it often in the first place.

Edited by Exorcet
  • Like 1

Awaiting: DCS F-15C

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files

1 hour ago, Jayhawk1971 said:

Funny, for me it's the other way round. I find the Hornet to be a little too pitch-sensitive for my taste, making it a little bit harder to refuel in than the "chilled" Tomcat. The F-14 is very stable for me, but I have to admit, having a FFB stick makes trimming a lot (!) easier. So refueling in the Hornet for me is a more perishable skill than in the Tomcat or Viper.

For me. from easiest to hardest: F-14 --> F-16 --> A-10C --> Hornet -> F-15E Strike Eagle.

In the F-15E it's a little annoying to keep maintaining forward/aft position. You get a disconnect even if you creep  just a little bit too far forward (second, but still "green", bar on the tanker's indicator). And if you drift too far back, it's harder/ takes longer to catch up than, say, in a Viper.

Yeah, I use an MS FFB2 for the F-14 and A-4, which could do with some more stiffness in the center, maybe if I attach some dampers to it, it will be better.
I use a Warthog with 2x20cm extensions and blue spring for most others, and a TM T.16K for the Viper until I get a force sensing stick.

For the boom it really depends on how much I can see of the tanker, so the F-16 is easier, while the F-15s are not hard. In the A-10s I haven't really found my efficient sweet spot yet, but it's not super hard.

For the boom the Su-33, F-18 and the Mirages are pretty equally easy, the Harrier was so easy on the first try that I haven't really done much of it in it. The Jeff is a little awkward to plug. But the number one in easiness by far is the UH-60L, which really surprised me. 😊 

Can't wait for more challenges!

21 minutes ago, Exorcet said:

1000%. Good controllers reduce the difficulty, which should be fairly obvious. Inconsistent inputs, weird deadzones, etc, create a nightmare and terrible learning environment.

And a good relaxed laidback seated position. Bringing the stick down on the floor from the desk made wonders.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, MAXsenna said:

Yeah, I use an MS FFB2 for the F-14 and A-4, which could do with some more stiffness in the center, maybe if I attach some dampers to it, it will be better.
I use a Warthog with 2x20cm extensions and blue spring for most others, and a TM T.16K for the Viper until I get a force sensing stick.

For the boom it really depends on how much I can see of the tanker, so the F-16 is easier, while the F-15s are not hard. In the A-10s I haven't really found my efficient sweet spot yet, but it's not super hard.

For the boom the Su-33, F-18 and the Mirages are pretty equally easy, the Harrier was so easy on the first try that I haven't really done much of it in it. The Jeff is a little awkward to plug. But the number one in easiness by far is the UH-60L, which really surprised me. 😊 

Can't wait for more challenges!

And a good relaxed laidback seated position. Bringing the stick down on the floor from the desk made wonders.

You got it! I use a Winwing F-18 Super Taurus/Libra setup and having the stick between my legs with an extension is the way for me. Also got the F-16EX HOTAS. The FFB takes some getting used to but it's amazing! 

• Like 1

DO it or Don't, but don't cry about it. Real men don't cry!

I noticed it's a lot simpler in VR than pancake screen due to the default views

Edited by StarVenger

MSI MPG Z390I Gaming Edge ACMSI RTX4090 Gaming X Trio 24G OCIntel I9-9900K32GB DDR4 Kingston Hyper X + Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle + VKB Gunfighter Mk.III MCE Ultimate + Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog + WinWing Orion 2 F-16EX Viper Joystick + WinWing Orion 2 F/A-18 Hornet Throttle with Finger Lifts + MFG Crosswind Pedals + Pico 4 + HP Reverb G2 + Track IR5 Tobii Eye Tracker 5 + LG 34GN850-B Monitor 

Same here, could not even land a Cessna without breaking in 2D monitor.

After reliably get full tank for F14. I found AA refuel skill transfer to other planes. Able to tank F15e on third attempt.

Don't like F18 that much.. too sensitive compare to stable F14

• Like 1

For the poll itself, I imagine the question attracts one side more than the other, and forum goers are already less casual, so the yes/no ratio doesn't seem like it'll be useful. Selecting on a dependent variable (times two) and all that.

----

I set up a 'daily basket' mission which I played every day, taking an F-18 up to refuel (and a bit more). It took me a bit short of a month to reliably refuel in usually only one go. Now I'm somehow better at refueling than formation flying, and the skill really doesn't perish for me. 

The F-14 has the added challenge that it doesn't fly straight. I trim it out, but adding a couple knots to approach the basket brings it enough out of trim so it swings up. Also having the same problem switching F-16 to F-15.

On 7/9/2023 at 1:03 AM, Jayhawk1971 said:

In the F-15E it's a little annoying to keep maintaining forward/aft position. You get a disconnect even if you creep  just a little bit too far forward (second, but still "green", bar on the tanker's indicator).

I've crept forward slightly into the red for a moment and maintained contact. The 'box' shrinks a lot near the top.

• Like 1