Patch notes discussion October 2023 - DCS 2.9

BIGNEWY

• ED Team
1 hour ago, FusRoPotato said:

FSR is a wash.

All aircraft within 2 miles vanish into a faint blur. 

Something needs to be done to make sure 3d models don't get blurred away like that, if that's even possible.

FSR is work in progress and will continue to be tweaked 

thanks

20 minutes ago, C_casber said:

DLSS is greyd out 

MF is active and i got the steam version 

my friend got the same setup and also the steam version and it works on his pc

and we dont know why 

can anyone help?

you need to ensure you are using the multithreading version of DCS and a RTX card compatible with DLSS

• Like 6

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

11 minutes ago, Art-J said:

You're the 2nd Steam player in this thread reporting similar issue. Can you check if the Steam launches the MT (I know it says so, but does it really)? What does the note in bottom right corner of the menu screen say? "MT preview 2.9" or version number only?

About the new splash screen... I don't even remember how the previous one looked like and I play the game on regular basis. Some of you guys are really way too easily miffed by such (un)important things. Do not worry, though! 15th DCS anniversary year ends soon, so you'll get some whatever "normal" splash screen then.

That was the issue. So its Steam being ass. Even though it said its running MT in the start options, it actually wasn't. Had to turn on "ask on game start" for it to run. DLSS & the rest are working now. Thx guys

3 minutes ago, jurinko said:

Spitfire cockpit is awesome. 

Yes! Its awesome. Just going through the Big Show & the new cockpit is great.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, C_casber said:

version number only

So looks like it's a Single Threaded executable then (thus without some of these new gfx functions). The question is why Steam launches that one despite "Play MT preview" button being used. 

Not a Steam user myself, so others will have to assist.

EDIT: See what dirty wrote above 😉 . @BN, something to pass to guys responsible for Steam implementation?

Edited by Art-J

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

Steam users if you're having issues, don't assign start options on "Play MT Review". For me it just runs Single thread. Assign it to "Ask when starting game" and then when starting game choose MT. MT game icon on the startbar is also different. Its white letters on an orange background, not the orange letters on gray/black background of the single thread.

• Like 1

Hi all,

Any clue on this?

I´m aware of OverlordBot, it has to do something with this?

Thanks.

Regards,

F.

AI bots and ATC.png

- "Don't be John Wayne in the Break if you´re going to be Jerry Lewis on the Ball".

About carrier ops: "The younger pilots are still quite capable of holding their heads forward against the forces. The older ones have been doing this too long and know better; sore necks make for poor sleep.'

PC: I7 4790K 4.6ghz | 32GB RAM | Zotac GTX 1080Ti 11Gb DDR5x | Water cooler NZXT AIO Kraken x53 | 3.5TB (x4 SSD´s) | Valve Index| Andre´s JeatSeat.

56 minutes ago, BIGNEWY said:

FSR is work in progress and will continue to be tweaked

Have you finalised on FSR 2 or will it become FSR 3 over time?

Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset

• ED Team
1 minute ago, Raven (Elysian Angel) said:

Have you finalised on FSR 2 or will it become FSR 3 over time?

More tweaks to come for FSR in a future update

• Like 3

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Quick $.02 after 1.5 hours in 2.9:

Using my shiny new quest 3 at 72hz on my old 3090 and 5950...your mileage may vary.

1. Love the new screen space shadows!

2. For one-on-one dog fights or intensive head down radar work I still prefer 2x msaa for clarity and no jitters or smearing.  

3.  I do love the sharpening option with dlss quality and dlaa looks good too.  I'm going to have to do more work here.  Maybe increase pd and get more mileage.

4. Normandy looks much improved.

5. I look forward to experiments with lod setting and color setting.

Great work DCS team!  This has been a 20+ year journey for me...thank you.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Ryzen 5950x PBO | MSI RTX 3090 | 32gb 3600 RAM | 2 x SSD | Quest 3 | TM Warthog

2 hours ago, Nick_17 said:

[...] Also, i can't stop looking at forests with SSS enabled [...]

Does SSAA replace the old tree shadows, or does it add on to them?
Or in other words, when SSS is enabbled, does it matter what you choose for "terrain object shadows" (flat / default)?

I was just farting around in the NTTR map and I like crispy eye candy. This is one smart looking flightsim. 

Need more info on how everything works and where the sweet spot can be found, but it definitely looks good.

Some of the planes, but all of the maps!

personally I'm getting very good results with 2.9

I've only played around it tonight for a couple of hours.

Before running any tests after the update I've run a slow repair and deleted my saved games folder to start "fresh". I then re-added my input folder to get back all my bindings. 

- Loading times: much much faster than before. Both VR & flat screen. Great!
- Flat screen: Syria F16 free flight mission. All graphics maxed out (civ traffic off, motion blur off, depth of field off). MSAA 4x: 90fps. DLAA: 100fps DLSS quality: 110fps
- VR: HP REVERB. same mission as above. Graphics as above with the following differences: shadows medium, terrain obj shadows flat only, grass about 1/2. DLSS quality: 55fps

I've played the first mission of the new campaign FIWOS in VR with the settings as above and never went below 55fps. Absolutely fantastic experience. Had never experienced VR before like this, might even bump up the pixel density to see if I can sharpen up even more the already sharp cockpit letterings & panel writings.

Well done ED!

*edit: when using DLAA and DLSS I'm getting some ghosting around the moving text on MFD/DDI/RWR/etc screens and also on the TGP image when moving it around. It's minor but its noticeable. It's definitely a worthy tradeoff in exchange with the substantial bump in fps

Edited by Snakedoc
  • Like 2

ASUS ROG STRIX Z490 F-GAMING | i7-10700K | RTX3090 TUF OC | 32GB DDR4 3200Mhz | Windows 10 64bit | Acer Predator X34P | TrackIR 5 | TM Warthog | TM T.Flight Rudder Pedals

A-10C | A-10C II | F/A-18C | F-16C | FC3 | PG | Syria | SC

Home made F-16C simulator
Forum Thread: DCS World forum - The Viper Project - Home Cockpits Instagram: 1583142 copia.jpg The Viper Project YouTube youtube-icon-512x512-874lspju.png The Viper Project - Youtube channel

12 minutes ago, CommandT said:

Is anyone else getting crazy grass shimmering with 2.9 by any chance?

My grass is fine though I do have every other aircraft vibrating in the air after the update.

Violently shaking, unwatchable.

Edited by Slippa
Shaking

Really happy so far .

Flew the spitfire in the WWII server looking amazing smooth flying no stuttering on landing even had a dogfight were people can actually see the fights , things looking really sharp and clear and smooth in VR. Great work. 

• Like 1

Gigabyte - X570 UD ~ Ryzen - 5600X @ 4.7 - Pulse - RX-6800 -  XPG 32:GB @ 3200 - VKB - Gunfighter 4 - STECs - Throttle - Crosswinds Rudders - Trackir 5 .

I'm a dot . Pico Nero 3 link VR . @ 4k

Win 11 Pro 64Bit .

Just some preliminary observations from my time with the new patch.

1: The new replay system is great. I did a long custom helo mission with multiple landings and take offs and it worked perfect all the way to the end. The last landing worked exactly like the live play until the Huey just seemed to explode for no reason? Odd. To compare that to before patch though, my replays usually broke after the first landing.

2: FSR and TAA part 1: Performance using FSR and TAA @4k with 0.66 render resolution pretty much runs the same as native 1440p at max settings. There are a few less frames here and there, but without the FPS counter going, you almost cannot tell. Much better 4k performance than before.

3: FSR and TAA part 2: On the other hand, comparing the settings above I am not sure it looks any better at the end of the day. Some things look better, and some things are worse. The TAA absolutely obliterates jaggies, but it also ghosts pretty bad when combined with transparency. It is not bad in most fixed wing cockpits, but it is very noticeable through the bottom windows in the Huey.

Love the update so far though, great work gents! 👍

Ryzen7 5800X3D - MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk MAX - 64Gb 3600MHz DDR4 - RX 6950 XT - SoundBlaster -Z

Now that we have DLSS/DLAA, is DCS still running on DirectX11, or is it running on Vulkan?

i7-8700k OC to 5.1GHz, Sound BlasterX AE-5, Creative Sound BlasterX H7 Tournament Edition, Asus ROG Maximus X Code

Corsair Dominator DDR4 32GB 3200MHz, EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra Hybrid, Acer Predator XB271HU WQHD IPS Monitor, Logitech G510S, Anker 8000DPI Gaming Mouse, HOTAS Warthog, Thrustmaster TFRP Pedals, Track IR 5, Windows 10 Professional, https://www.youtube.com/c/iflyflightsims

7 minutes ago, LCO489 said:

Failed to get authorization data. Error code is: 
No saved authorization found.

Hi ll, anyone else using steam version is getting this problem? tried several times and no joy.

Edited by rob10
  • Like 1

Having DLSS option is nice. Not better visuals than 2.8 with FSR at 77-78pct with Toolkit though. 

Anyway, this is a good start. I am sure it will be better and better in next patches.

Edited by KCOOL