Patch notes discussion October 2023 - DCS 2.9

BIGNEWY

Great update. My favorite is the new downwash effect. Especially with the helicopters. Very cool.
The new ingame radios look extremely promising. SRS must be slowly retired.
And I notice a lot of bugfixes.
I don't think SRS is going to be retired anytime soon, ED new radio has a long way to go with our group before we return SRS.

Sent from my TB350FU using Tapatalk

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Mainstay said:

For some reason the graphics,textures, missions (MP) take so long to load in nowadays.

That is very true unfortunately. The loading times have been much better. I thought that was due to the shader compiling (not being cashed) everytime to circumvent other related problems, but I maybe mistaken on that. Would be nice if someone from ED could clue us in.

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

58 minutes ago, avgyst said:

How can I return my contacts to their previous appearance? I don’t have the file described in the patch note, I looked at all the paths

You have to create one. Here are details what/where but the content is about different thing:

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/support/faq/501/#1445916

Edited by draconus

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

2 hours ago, avgyst said:

How can I return my contacts to their previous appearance? I don’t have the file described in the patch note, I looked at all the paths

As draconus wrote above. Keep in mind, however, that apparently the autoexec line described in the patchnotes doesn't actually work (acknowledged by the devs), so don't bother with it and wait for further hotfixes.

• Thanks 1

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

5 hours ago, draconus said:

Are you running version MT 2.9? Check right bottom corner in DCS main menu.

Hey @draconus thank you, I was being dumb!

I have VR DCS linked to MT, while flat screen DCS is linked to ST and I was looking for the option in the latter... I started in VR and everything is where it should be.

Thank you again!

7 hours ago, Hiob said:

Ok, I will keep an eye on it. I haven't experienced (or noticed) this yet. Maybe it is a function of GPU power and I'm just lucky.....

It also depends on the aircraft and other animation aspects. For example, on my 1440p monitor, with DLAA only, when I'm warming up P-51 engine at between 1000-1100 RPM, where the instrument panel resonates and shakes, the outer gauges turn into jelly cakes and their markings, digits, arcs etc. are shaking independently of each other 😄 . At the same time gauge pointers aren't straight no more and turn into a noodles. TLAA makes things even worse by inducing severe ghosting, which makes instruments blurry and even less readable, so it's back to DLAA.

Jelly gauges are not a big deal for me, because such low RPM is not used during flight anyway. A minor inconvenience outweighed by advantages (no-shimmering!), but it shows how our experiences can differ. 

Edited by Art-J
  • Like 1

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

2 часа назад, draconus сказал:

Вы должны создать его. Вот подробности, что/где, но содержание о другом:

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/support/faq/501/#1445916

Thanks

59 минут назад, Art-J сказал:

Как драконус писал выше. Однако имейте в виду, что строка autoexec, описанная в примечаниях к исправлениям, на самом деле не работает (это признано разработчиками), поэтому не беспокойтесь об этом и ждите дальнейших исправлений.

Thanks

19 hours ago, Hiob said:

You may still take advantage of NIS, FSR and or TAA. Those don‘t require a RTX afaik.

Thank you for your intel. I actually have tried those options and found them to be too blurry and the cockpit looks terribly cheap. On one of those options, I don't remeber which one, the numbers on the Gunsight Range to Target dial in the P-51 Mustang fade out to invisible when turning it.

10 hours ago, BIGNEWY said:

people having stutters in multithreading 

Try disabling Windows core parking ( if active), seems this is helping people, some have their cores parked and it seems windows does not react quick enough to unpark the cores when needed.

Quick test performed, I've expected improvement in MT version. It has got an impact on static camera stutters - there is noticeable improvement - way less stutters, or even gone. Unfortunately during change of camera or simply moving the direction of view - stutters are just as it was - very present.

EDIT: I did not expect any effect on ST version, and I haven't noticed any change nor improvement.

Edited by Mateo

10 hours ago, BIGNEWY said:

people having stutters in multithreading 

Try disabling Windows core parking ( if active), seems this is helping people, some have their cores parked and it seems windows does not react quick enough to unpark the cores when needed.

I followed this advice and it helped a bit. My cores were definitely being parked. What appears to have solved the stuttering for me was to go to Nvidia control panel and limit FPS to 90. 

• Like 1

I tried the Normandy 2 & Mariana maps with the Huey & the Gazelle and I went from 60 fps to 16 fps so a huge loss of fps suddenly with DLSS in vr since the update the other maps are stable at 60 fps .
On the other hand, Normandie and Mariana were stable before 2.9

And where can I adjust the parking of the hearts? SVP

VGlusica said:
I followed this advice and it helped a little. My hearts were definitely parked. What seems to have fixed the stuttering for me was going into the Nvidia control panel and limiting the FPS to 90.
But where can I find the location to deactivate the parking of hearts??

7 hours ago, Mainstay said:

I tried the parked core thing but even though the freezes/stuttering became less its still very present in MT.

For some reason the graphics,textures, missions (MP) take so long to load in nowadays.

The last few updates feel like a step back somehow  performance wise 😞

Even though my hardware is more then efficient : Core I9 12900K - 64GB DDR4 - RTX4090 - NVMe Corsair MP600 4TB

Strange I see none of that, also have 4090 and 64 Gb ram, however only an i9 9900k at 5.1 GHz. I do not see a much of a difference in load time either, maybe  a little I never timed them. I do run in VR though with my fps locked at 45 fps in my VR software.

Edited by dburne

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

I would highly recommend resetting the NVIDIA control panel on the manage tap for DCS and reset them back to Factory Defaults. Helped for me today and gained some serious performance.

• Like 1

I7 10700K (OVERCLOCKED)5.1GHZ, ASUS STRIX Z490F MOTHERBOARD, RTX VENTUS 4070 12GB, 64GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE (3500mhz) 2X 1TB NVMe M.2 980 PRO SSD. WIN11,THRUSTMASTER WARTHOG JOYSTICK,THROTTLE,TRACK IR.

I finally was able to start to check out 2.9 today. Absolutely incredible ED, a most awesome update which I love. Hoping to see more threads utilized in the future. 

• Like 4

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

11 hours ago, dburne said:

I do not see a much of a difference in load time either, maybe  a little I never timed them.

Same here. Maybe a few secs extra but nothing to complain about.

• Like 1

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

19 hours ago, dburne said:

Strange I see none of that, also have 4090 and 64 Gb ram, however only an i9 9900k at 5.1 GHz. I do not see a much of a difference in load time either, maybe  a little I never timed them. I do run in VR though with my fps locked at 45 fps in my VR software.

Apparently it seems that this is a Intel i9 11+ series problem. I think @BIGNEWY stated that somewhere, cant really remember

g8PjVMw.png

Tazer83 :said:
I highly recommend resetting the NVIDIA control panel on the management tap for DCS and resetting it to factory settings. It helped me today and I got some serious performances.
And I said to myself:
since we are testing different settings we might as well try to do like Tazer83 and I did it I put the Nvidia 3D settings table back to the factory settings except that I left the vertical synchronization on (Fast) and the stuttering has practically disappeared (it is still very very light)
Now is this a coincidence or a truth, try and see
or not the improvement, if it helps you it only takes a few seconds.
good flight

vor 2 Stunden schrieb schurem:

Having spent some time getting the settings just so and having had the sim rebuild its fxo and metashader libraries, I can only react with this to 2.9:

520pve.png

Yeah, know exactly how that's feel.
I couldn't see any benefit for VR with 2.9 so skipped it this time, stayed on 2.8 and flew two sorties instead of wasting my time today.

Edited by Ganesh

regards Ganesh

She: "Your orders from ED have reached a total amount of $871,88 and your hardware expenses are countless..."
Me: "I can´t invest my money much better until i wait for Germanys Next Top Model": The
Bo-105 PAH1A1

+ Vulkan & continuous work on multithread & VR optimization!

Asus Z490E - 10900k@5,3GHz - 64GB 3600 DDR4 - 4090FE - Reverb G2 - MFG Crosswinds +DamperMod - Selfmade TableMounts - Centered VirPil T-50 Base with 20cm Extension - TM Warthog & Hornet Grip - TM Throttle +SlewMod - Pimped MSFFB2 for Huey - JetSeat SE on a sawn out office Chair - PointCTRL

On 10/22/2023 at 9:25 PM, draconus said:

I was sceptical on the whole DLSS thing but I was completely blown away by DLAA - total obliteration of shimmering, jaggies and alike - smooth image on the whole screen, even the hardest parts like metal fences, clouds or power lines were beautifuly rendered - didn't know it's possible in DCS... Which makes it so hard to leave because I can't unseen it now but the ghosting, smearing and jelly cockpit effect make it unbearable for me. Probably because of already low fps in my case.

Yeah, tried it again and I can't let DLAA just go - it's so fantastic, the ghosting is not that bad now 🙂

And yet another thx for ED - this time for NVGs fix in VR :thumbup: It's realistic fov now, not full screen - we can now look under the lenses into the cockpit!

• Like 3

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria