Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion

tobaschi

Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion  

437 members have voted

1. 1. Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion

• 599$ did not faze you, and YOU PRE-ORDER IT!
    • 599$ puts me into bankrupcy - I will not spend that kind of money - WILL NOT BUY
    • on the fence, will BUY LATER (at retail launch)

I am so excited about this product. @Wags, I realize this is a WIP, but how well does the new prototype track, and what happens if it loses position? For example, if TrackIR loses position and/or tracks incorrectly in DCS it'll wig out like your having a seizure in the cockpit sometimes. Does the same thing happen with Oculus? Also, what about motion sickness? I'll get a little sick after using TrackIR for a while, but I think that's from having to keep my eyeballs locked on the screen while my head moves around. Has anyone on the team felt nauseous after using Oculus Rift?

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks blksolo and Chiclidfan!

The deeplink to the tweet is this one:

Also got lots of replies obviously, among them this link to reddit:

| i9 12900K |  64GB DDR5-6000 | STRIX RTX 4090 OC | LG 38GN950 38" |

| Hanns-G HT225HPB | TIR 5 & Varjo Aero | Virpil Throttle & Stick | TM TPRs |

You don't stop playing because you grow old, you grow old because you stop playing.

I'll get a little sick after using TrackIR for a while, but I think that's from having to keep my eyeballs locked on the screen while my head moves around.

Really? Is this common, I've never heard of trackir sickness before, can't say I have noticed it myself but then I tend not to play for too long at once. My main complaints with trackir are the unnatural movements, eye strain as you mentioned and the fact that it has a mind of its own sometimes and either goes mental or refuses to work at all. I'm hoping the rift will have all of these issues covered.

[sIGPIC]sigpic67951_1.gif[/sIGPIC]

Really? Is this common, I've never heard of trackir sickness before, can't say I have noticed it myself but then I tend not to play for too long at once. My main complaints with trackir are the unnatural movements, eye strain as you mentioned and the fact that it has a mind of its own sometimes and either goes mental or refuses to work at all. I'm hoping the rift will have all of these issues covered.

I doubt it's that common as I get motion sickness really easily and can't play a lot of games because of it and I've never had any problems using headtracking with DCS World or ArmA. I'm worried I might not be able to use the Rift though, so will need to thoroughly try it out before buying one.

Main rig: i5-4670k @4.4Ghz, Asus Z97-A, Scythe Kotetsu HSF, 32GB Kingston Savage 2400Mhz DDR3, 1070ti, Win 10 x64, Samsung Evo 256GB SSD (OS & Data), OCZ 480GB SSD (Games), WD 2TB and WD 3TB HDDs, 1920x1200 Dell U2412M, 1920x1080 Dell P2314T touchscreen

Here are all the talks from the recent Steam Developer Days at Valve, most interesting for us is the talk of
. Very excited for the things to come!

You don't stop playing because you grow old, you grow old because you stop playing.

hope to see a DCS version... maybe even a official DCS/ oculus video...

(not video has nothing to do with DCS - but has rift- sort of..)

HQQ1X_Qx3ag

uTojfp911fA

BTW, VERY EXCITED FOR MATT AND THE ED TEAM FOR the prospect of DCS OCULUS RIFT support...

i hope the integration will bring enormous popularity (and SALES) for ED/TFC

Edited by hannibal

find me on steam! username: Hannibal_A101A

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197969447179

Isn't there anything already available that could be used in DCSW to detect hand position, to allow us to virtually flip in-cockpit switches?

Could the Leap Motion be used for this? https://www.leapmotion.com/product

Or maybe the Kinect? I think this would greatly enhance the virtual experience, even with a monitor but certainly with something like the Rift.

Main rig: i5-4670k @4.4Ghz, Asus Z97-A, Scythe Kotetsu HSF, 32GB Kingston Savage 2400Mhz DDR3, 1070ti, Win 10 x64, Samsung Evo 256GB SSD (OS & Data), OCZ 480GB SSD (Games), WD 2TB and WD 3TB HDDs, 1920x1200 Dell U2412M, 1920x1080 Dell P2314T touchscreen

• ED Team
Isn't there anything already available that could be used in DCSW to detect hand position, to allow us to virtually flip in-cockpit switches?

Could the Leap Motion be used for this? https://www.leapmotion.com/product

Or maybe the Kinect? I think this would greatly enhance the virtual experience, even with a monitor but certainly with something like the Rift.

From what other users have said Leap motion is not accurate enough to manipulate switches, one of the reason I stopped looking at it.

Hopefully in the future the accuracy can be worked out.

Edit

I am planing to go down the route of voice activated for anything not on my hotas

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

As BN said, the Leap Motion isn't there yet and the Kinect also needs refinement for that kind of detailed motion detection.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

One easy question, can we expect that the World 3d development needed for the rift to work may also increase the 3d quality of world with Nvidia 3d? It would be great, for those of us that already play in 3d.

Apologies if this has been treated in the post already, but I have not the strength not to read the 150 pages.

I'm still hesitant about this. Being able to look outside the game at key cards (ok, I can just get off my arse and memorize the HOTAS) is one thing but flipping switches.... this is required.

Fridge

----------

Things which do you no good in aviation:

1) Altitude above you;

2) Runway behind you;

3) Fuel in the truck;

4) The airspeed you don't have.

I'm still hesitant about this. Being able to look outside the game at key cards (ok, I can just get off my arse and memorize the HOTAS) is one thing but flipping switches.... this is required.

I don't see this as problem, good mouse solution for use in 3D is ok - i think. It shouldn't take long as well since they already managed to resolve issue with HUD projection.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Windows 10 Pro x64, Asus PG279Q, i7-6700K, Nvidia GTX1080TI, 16GB DDR4, 1TB SSD, TM Warthog, Saitek Combat Pro Rudder Pedals, TIR5+Trackclip

From what other users have said Leap motion is not accurate enough to manipulate switches, one of the reason I stopped looking at it.

Hopefully in the future the accuracy can be worked out.

Edit

I am planing to go down the route of voice activated for anything not on my hotas

Yeah, I'm getting there with my VAC profile for the KA-50. Not quite perfect yet but it sure makes a great substitute for physical switches.

I can imagine if I was playing with the Rift though, I'd be itching to reach out and flick those virtual switches :)

Good news!

Please consider other hand tracking systems if Leap Motion is not good. STEM, PrioVR and others, thanks.

STEM seems to use a big hand-held controller, a bit like Razer Hydra, so that's not going to be very practical. PrioVR might work but the cheapest option appears to be an 8-sensor upper body suit and I'm not really looking to pay for that when I really only need one sensor on one hand.

One easy question, can we expect that the World 3d development needed for the rift to work may also increase the 3d quality of world with Nvidia 3d? It would be great, for those of us that already play in 3d.

Apologies if this has been treated in the post already, but I have not the strength not to read the 150 pages.

Maybe the HUD? I thought that it wouldn't be a problem with native 3D, but Matt said they fixed the HUD.

Has anyone tried this while wearing glasses? I know their FAQ said a unit comes with replacement lenses but I'd like to hear from user who wear glasses while using one of these.

I wear glasses (farsighted here) and was concerned as well. It would not be possible for me to wear my glasses with the Rift. However, I found that I could see rather well with the stuff I have tried. I have not gone through the trouble of setting DCS up with it.

To me it seems like I will be able to use it acceptably but I won't know for sure until I have a consumer version running DCS.

EDIT: It just occurred to me that Yo-Yo wears glasses.

Edited by cichlidfan

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

I sometimes use glasses with my DK1. Just set the distance screw a bit more to the max side and you're golden. You could make custom lenses so you don't need glasses (they are interchangeable) and I think the consumer version will offer this as well, perhaps you can order the lenses along with it and input your glasses prescription into the shop!

Maybe the HUD? I thought that it wouldn't be a problem with native 3D, but Matt said they fixed the HUD.

Great! As far as I know, that is the only big problem with nvidia 3d. The problem with the cursor is not so important.

Edited by marques