Aircraft Visibility

Dejjvid

Aircraft Visibility  

428 members have voted

1. 1. Aircraft Visibility

• Increase dot size.
    • It's perfect the way it is.
    • Increase far dot size and add a metal glare.

Yeah they need to be more visible... i personally find it one of the least realistic aspects of DCS , and it stops me from playing fighters at all.

Way i see it , A real life pilot has great vision , and we may not have great vision AND are limited to screen resolution...

Put those 2 together and it makes for a very unrealistic experience ... please fix.

Its a simulator , and i feel like our pilot's vision should be simulated accordingly

Edit : like others have said rise of flight does it EXTREMELY well... but i'm not sure how they do it... falcon BMS does it good aswell but sometimes i feel like in falcon BMS its a bit "too" much.. especially with large aircraft like tankers

Edited by McBlemmen

• Replies 559
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have played some RoF and yeah it's pretty good as far as visibility goes, but that's probably largely because the speeds are typically about 1/10 of what DCS planes have. You have vastly more time to scan the skies with the limited FoV, resolution and FPS on a computer screen. It's going to be interesting to see how well BoS with the same engine and many times the speed range handles the issue. Still, one of the best examples of all time is the ancient Sturmovik and here's the infallible formula for complete success:

- Add settings for dots that are rendered WHERE THE PLANE IS, as in NOT SEEN THROUGH COCKPIT AND CLOUDS. (DCS does not have this yet)

- Add very good settings for adjusting icons (DCS already has this, wohoo!) that are RENDERED WHERE THE PLANE IS etc. (DCS does not have this yet)

- Enforce the server settings to everyone (you can of course always opt for no icons also) (I don't think DCS does this yet)

My blog full of incoherent ramblings on random subjects: https://anttiilomaki.wordpress.com/

Edit : like others have said rise of flight does it EXTREMELY well... but i'm not sure how they do it... falcon BMS does it good aswell but sometimes i feel like in falcon BMS its a bit "too" much.. especially with large aircraft like tankers

Better "too good" visibility than too little (such as now), in my opinion.

• 4 weeks later...

Aircraft Visibility

Hi,

Is there a way to increase the range at which aircraft can be seen? They become far too small, far too early, and aircraft are not visible when they should be.

Even worse, the smoke can often be seen, but the aircraft not (this is backwards - you should see the aircraft before the smoke in most cases).

Does anyone know if the aircraft visibility can be altered? Right now I feel like I have defective eyesight. :(

Best regards,

Tango.

~

Is there a way to increase the range at which aircraft can be seen? They

Even worse, the smoke can often be seen, but the aircraft not (this is backwards - you should see the aircraft before the smoke in most cases).

~

Best regards,

Tango.

no its not... quite often, in winter times, condensation trails can be seen from commercial airliners, but the actual plane isn't visible

City Hall is easier to fight, than a boys' club - an observation :P

"Resort is had to ridicule only when reason is against us." - Jefferson

"Give a group of potheads a bunch of weed and nothing to smoke out of, and they'll quickly turn into engineers... its simply amazing."

EVGA X99 FTW, EVGA GTX980Ti FTW, i7 5930K, 16Gb Corsair Dominator 2666Hz, Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit, Intel 520 SSD x 2, Samsung PX2370 monitor and all the other toys

-

"I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar"

Condensation trail and engine smoke are quite different things though, with quite different visibility.

Currently in DCS, engine smoke indeed is visible from a further distance than aircraft itself.

I'm all for realism and if it's difficult to see, let it difficult to see, but currently it just doesn't feel right, aircraft gets lost from vision in a second, from being quite visible. Especially almost game breaking for warbirds.

Wishlist: F-4E Block 53 +, MiG-27K, Su-17M3 or M4, AH-1F or W circa 80s or early 90s, J35 Draken, Kfir C7, Mirage III/V

DCS-Dismounts Script

Condensation trail and engine smoke are quite different things though, with quite different visibility.

no, not necessarily

Currently in DCS, engine smoke indeed is visible from a further distance than aircraft itself.

Similar happens in real life

I'm all for realism and if it's difficult to see, let it difficult to see, but currently it just doesn't feel right, aircraft gets lost from vision in a second, from being quite visible. Especially almost game breaking for warbirds.

Sure there could be a bit of tweaking, that and less altering of FoV on players' part... but aircraft can be lost in an instant, if looked away from in real life, as much as aircraft can be difficult to spot in real life (yes, even big white commercial aircraft), even if the looker knows where to look

let's get a bit more accurate in the "can't spot the dot" cries of the protagonists

I'm all for "realism" too, but not at the expense of realism... current technology precludes "realism" on a grand scale

Edited by Wolf Rider

City Hall is easier to fight, than a boys' club - an observation :P

"Resort is had to ridicule only when reason is against us." - Jefferson

"Give a group of potheads a bunch of weed and nothing to smoke out of, and they'll quickly turn into engineers... its simply amazing."

EVGA X99 FTW, EVGA GTX980Ti FTW, i7 5930K, 16Gb Corsair Dominator 2666Hz, Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit, Intel 520 SSD x 2, Samsung PX2370 monitor and all the other toys

-

"I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar"

This issues is not only about spotting airplanes or sub-pixel objects. I just noticed, that with a certain zoom level ships just jump out (and are at that resolution at least 50 pixels wide) but if I decrease the zoom just a little bit they disappear completely.

I'm running with high settings and a GTX 770.

no please not like il2 clod TF

I mean only for aircrafts, not for ground units / ships. (wich is little exaggerated with the dot sizes)

I'm playing with 1920x1200 res. and the dots of fighters at far distance are just good with the one pixel size in monitor :thumbup:

Not too easy or too hard to spot.

IL46 had a really neat feature with the dots for aircraft at long range. the dits themself were really small but made sure that you could still detect object that were sub-pixel size.

Either way, despite all the naysayers the poll results clearly show the popular wish

Cannot visually acquire targets

I have a 27" 1080p monitor running at 1920x1080. I cannot visually acquire aircraft to save my life. I dont use labels and I have to be practically on top of my target to see them. Its frustrating and makes air to air engagements hell. I cant find targets on radar and they end up on top of me with a heatseeker.

Any tips or suggestions to help besides using labels?

Do you guys think occulus rift will make this less of a problem?

Or change resolution to bigger. I never used labels, dont like it.

Webmaster of http://www.yoyosims.pl

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Win 10 64, i9-13900 KF, RTX  4090 24Gb OC, RAM 64Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3600MHz,, 3xSSD+3xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5, [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

Using the minor "cheat" of making labels appear as tiny dots might work well for you. Have you tried that?

I may try this if I give up.

Or change resolution to bigger. I never used labels, dont like it.

I was under the impression that higher resolution would offer better viewing at distance. Do you mean texture res? I have all graphics to the highest as well.

Visibility in DCS is an ongoing (and slightly frustrating) issue.

Your situational awareness is NOTHING like actual visibility conditions flying.

Well I am glad I am not the only one. Would a bigger screen such as using Occulus Rift fix this issue? I don't have one yet but hopefully the consumer version will release soon with decent resolution.

I have a 27" 1080p monitor running at 1920x1080. I cannot visually acquire aircraft to save my life. I dont use labels and I have to be practically on top of my target to see them. Its frustrating and makes air to air engagements hell. I cant find targets on radar and they end up on top of me with a heatseeker.

Any tips or suggestions to help besides using labels?

Do you guys think occulus rift will make this less of a problem?

Hi,

I have a 42" monitor and have the same problem, check this post on how to put AWACs in the mission to direct you

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=130832

or put in a GCI to direct you .

Ask Jesus for Forgiveness before you takeoff :pilotfly:!

PC=Win 10 HP 64 bit, Gigabyte Z390, Intel I5-9600k, 32 gig ram, Nvidia 2060 Super 8gig video. TM HOTAS WARTHOG with Saitek Pedals