DCS World Patch Notes Discussion Thread

BIGNEWY

3 hours ago, Gierasimov said:

Funny. I paly in 4K 16:9 and it was never possible to turn it ON for as long as I remember. 

It was definetely selectable between off/ 1.5x/ 2.0x.

If it actually did something or it was just my mind playing tricks on me, I can't say for sure since I didn't explicitly tested it then.

I just followed the suggestions and findings of this Video (which was made with 1920*1080) and never actually questioned if it applies to 4K:

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

On 4/24/2021 at 12:24 PM, iFoxRomeo said:

It's the same effect. The jittery comes from the super small (partially unconscious) head movements in VR, that's why it is more visible in VR than in 2D.

Fox

Just a question, do you have/use a VR headset?

- "Don't be John Wayne in the Break if you´re going to be Jerry Lewis on the Ball".

About carrier ops: "The younger pilots are still quite capable of holding their heads forward against the forces. The older ones have been doing this too long and know better; sore necks make for poor sleep.'

PC: I7 4790K 4.6ghz | 32GB RAM | Zotac GTX 1080Ti 11Gb DDR5x | Water cooler NZXT AIO Kraken x53 | 3.5TB (x4 SSD´s) | Valve Index| Andre´s JeatSeat.

On 4/24/2021 at 6:24 AM, iFoxRomeo said:

It's the same effect. The jittery comes from the super small (partially unconscious) head movements in VR, that's why it is more visible in VR than in 2D.

Fox

I don't recall seeing this effect ever, prior to 2.7

Same computer, headset and.... same head.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3600| MSI RTX 4080 16GB Ventus 3X OC  | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB NVME | HP Reverb G2 | DIY Head Tracker Cap | Logitech X-56 throttle | VKB NXT Premium |  Win 11

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

--Arthur C Clark

On 4/24/2021 at 12:24 PM, iFoxRomeo said:

Fox

Nope. The clouds jitter is nothing to do with head movements. Nearly everything is more visible in VR. That's why everyone says the graphics are worse. They are not worse. They are the same. You just see it more because everything is actual scale and, you are in the game. Not looking at it through a small window. 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Hoirtel said:

Nope. The clouds jitter is nothing to do with head movements. Nearly everything is more visible in VR. That's why everyone says the graphics are worse. They are not worse. They are the same. You just see it more because everything is actual scale and, you are in the game. Not looking at it through a small window. 

Not really, I understand what you say, but there is an issue with detail levels of clouds in VR. Changing settings from LOW to ULTRA in VR has no result and clouds look identical in both cases.

3 hours ago, fagulha said:

Just a question, do you have/use a VR headset?

Yes I have a VR HMD. HP Reverb. Check my Sig

2 hours ago, Sr. said:

I don't recall seeing this effect ever, prior to 2.7

Same computer, headset and.... same head.

It wasn't there before 2.7. It came with 2.7 and the new clouds. 

48 minutes ago, Hoirtel said:

I am not talking about bad or not bad graphics. 2.7 Clouds in the distance have a kind of delay to the rest of what is rendered. Compare far clouds with the horizon. If you look at VR recordings you will notice that the recording has often a "nervous" headmovement. And due to this mentioned delay in distant cloud rendering this translates to the jittery behaviour of the clouds which is then more visible. No (virtual)headmovement, not jittery clouds. 

TrackIR has a dampening in the way it moves your virtual head. Hence this jittery is less visible. And yes, because you have a greater view scale in VR it is more obvious, but it is still visible in 2D. I noticed this jittery in Wags 2D videos but hoped it was because of Youtube's crappy encoding. But it wasn't YT. 

Fox

• Like 2
Spoiler

PC Specs: Ryzen 9 5900X, 3080ti, 64GB RAM, Oculus Quest 3

1 hour ago, Jafergon said:

Not really, I understand what you say, but there is an issue with detail levels of clouds in VR. Changing settings from LOW to ULTRA in VR has no result and clouds look identical in both cases.

True. I think it applies to everything else, but actually cloud detail might be held back in VR on purpose. 

And why would that be?

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

That would be pointless if you could just turn them down.

• Like 2

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

3 minutes ago, imacken said:

That would be pointless if you could just turn them down.

Well the theory would be that currently, either due to optimisation or hardware limits it would be too much for any system to render so if you are running VR they don't go any higher than medium regardless of ME setting. Some will say low, I'm not sure. I don't think they are too bad just not as detailed as what I see if I run 2D in ultra.

Edited by Hoirtel

Sorry, but I'm not convinced by that.  By the same logic, you could say the same about any other DCS setting, e.g. shadows, MSAA, visibility etc. etc.  You just tweak the settings - VR is no different - to suit your hardware and preferences.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, imacken said:

Sorry, but I'm not convinced by that.  By the same logic, you could say the same about any other DCS setting, e.g. shadows, MSAA, visibility etc. etc.  You just tweak the settings - VR is no different - to suit your hardware and preferences.

I'm sure it's possible with any setting, but either it isn't the case, or the visual differences aren't so obvious. I'm not 100% convinced this is the case with the clouds myself, they do look different but I'm open to some other explanation. If so it could just be a temporary thing until more optimisation is completed, it is a first beta after all. Maybe we won't get full res clouds until the new engine updates. Dunno. Do you think they look the same in VR? 

11 hours ago, Hoirtel said:

True. I think it applies to everything else, but actually cloud detail might be held back in VR on purpose. 

I'm sorry but this is absolutely not true. It's

A) Either a bug, or

B) the different effects that are applied in 2d to make the clouds "look" more volumetric and add depth and color are just that. "Effects" that are probably optimized\programmed for 2d and that because of the nature of stereoscopic vision simply can't be rendered properly for VR. 

This is all speculation on my part though, I have no idea really but hopefully it's something that can be "fixed". In addition to the VR jitter bug. I do have a sneaking suspicion though that because of the nature of the way that clouds are rendered we will not be able to get the same "quality" clouds in VR. I don't have a problem with that, since IMO they are still much better than what we had before. Let's hope I'm wrong. 

Edited by Lurker
  • Like 1

Specs: Win10, i5-13600KF, 32GB DDR4 RAM 3200XMP, 1 TB M2 NVMe SSD, KFA2 RTX3090, VR G2 Headset, Warthog Throttle+Saitek Pedals+MSFFB2  Joystick. 

1 hour ago, Lurker said:

I'm sorry but this is absolutely not true. It's

A) Either a bug, or

B) the different effects that are applied in 2d to make the clouds "look" more volumetric and add depth and color are just that. "Effects" that are probably optimized\programmed for 2d and that because of the nature of stereoscopic vision simply can't be rendered properly for VR. 

This is all speculation on my part though, I have no idea really but hopefully it's something that can be "fixed". In addition to the VR jitter bug. I do have a sneaking suspicion though that because of the nature of the way that clouds are rendered we will not be able to get the same "quality" clouds in VR. I don't have a problem with that, since IMO they are still much better than what we had before. Let's hope I'm wrong. 

Yeah, I hope you are right. As I said I'm not entirely convinced of the on-purpose-reduction theory myself. I think your option B is probably a more likely scenario although my thoughts are that the difference in colour and contrast are more to do with the headsets/screens. I feel that the resolution of them is lower i.e in 2D where there are wispy edges, in VR its more rounded and lower detail, I guess giving the appearance similar to a lower 2D setting. Although this detail would be nice, I do agree they are much better than what we had before, the main thing is the cloud jitter which I'm sure we  are all on the same page about, ED have this in hand so no worries. I told myself I wouldn't use them until fixed but somehow I just seem to apply them to every mission anyway!

8 minutes ago, Hoirtel said:

Ooh. Exciting! Does it include a fix for the cloud movement?? 

Let´s pray... contrast and cloud movement to be fixed! and the cockpit reflections corrupted in the 2nd loading of the same plane.

I have been really impressed with the quality of the features that have been shipped so far with 2.7.  And I am looking forward to what ships later today! 

• Like 3

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

YOUTUBE CHANNEL: @speed-of-heat

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

1 minute ago, speed-of-heat said:

I have been really impressed with the quality of the features that have been shipped so far with 2.7.  And I am looking forward to what ships later today! 

ditto

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

18 minutes ago, Hoirtel said:

Ooh. Exciting! Does it include a fix for the cloud movement?? 

9 minutes ago, Gryzor said:

Let´s pray... contrast and cloud movement to be fixed! and the cockpit reflections corrupted in the 2nd loading of the same plane.

If they get it nailed in this version I will be surprised. I do, however, expect some improvements and it will be an ongoing process in making the clouds better.

• Like 1

Intel i5-9600K @ 3.7GHz

Gigabyte Z370XP SLI Mobo

G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4

GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 2070 8GB 256-Bit GDDR6(Assume the latest driver version)

Thermaltake Water 3.0 Certified Liquid Cooling System

Windows 10 Professional

Oculus Rift-S /TrackIR 5 in case VR dies

Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog w/ Thrustmaster T-Flight Rudder Pedals

Yes, I am really happy with what shipped with 2.7. Better performance in VR. Was also able to ignore the cloud jitter but also hope the contrast for clouds gets improved. Been flying a lot these last few weeks. Felt like a new game / sim. Looking forward to what gets fixed today. Keep up the good work ED! 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, speed-of-heat said:

software is never "nailed" thats why its software 

Spock Encerio GIF

Intel i5-9600K @ 3.7GHz

Gigabyte Z370XP SLI Mobo

G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4

GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 2070 8GB 256-Bit GDDR6(Assume the latest driver version)

Thermaltake Water 3.0 Certified Liquid Cooling System

Windows 10 Professional

Oculus Rift-S /TrackIR 5 in case VR dies

Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog w/ Thrustmaster T-Flight Rudder Pedals