What DCS features do you like to see on a future?

Silver_Dragon

More anticipated feature  

239 members have voted

1. 1. what features do you like see released?

• Dynamic Campaign
    • Voice Chat (VC)
    • Vulkan API
    • More Clouds and Weather improvements
    • More Damage Modeling
    • Artificial Intelligence (AI) improvements
    • Airfield Air Traffic Control (ATC)
    • Forward-Looking Infrared (FLIR)
    • More Weapons dynamics
    • New Enhanced AI and funtionality
    • New Map Technology features
    • Multi-threading
    • Air combat improvements
    • Land combat improvements
    • Sea combat improvements
    • New modules (Land / Sea / FPS)
    • CA improvements
    • New Engine / Map building technology
    • Mission editor improvements
    • Other (detail them)

I checked most of those points.
But it comes down to things that I see as most important:

1. Performance improvement aka making the DCS engine more efficient on the latest hardware: Vulkan, multithreading, ...
2. DCS core: AI improvement (including ATC, AI flight model, air combat, ...), clouds (most important I think here is LoS-restrictions applying to AI since that's a core feature).

Sure Dynamic Campaign is important but I think the core needs to be improved first, for the Dynamic Campaign to build upon that core.

• Like 6
Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset

46 minutes ago, Raven (Elysian Angel) said:

[...]

1. Performance improvement aka making the DCS engine more efficient on the latest hardware: Vulkan, multithreading, ...
2. DCS core: AI improvement (including ATC, AI flight model, air combat, ...), clouds (most important I think here is LoS-restrictions applying to AI since that's a core feature).
[...]

I agree and want to add Los-restrictions not only applying to AI but also IR Missiles and EO sensors.

• Like 4

The AI, then the AI and the AI and after that the AI !!!

If you think about it, basically 90% of the simulation going on around us in a mission is relying on the AI to simulate a living breathing world...

Just imagine what mission designers could create for all of us, if SAMs were intelligent, Fleets would use only one radar and not compromise all asset positions. If vehicles could navigate around and through villages and tree lines, if infantry could move appropriate for the terrain keep cohesion on squad level when finding their way through a village and not run around like headless chicken. If AI would react to situations by retreating when in danger of getting overrun, regroup and re-attack based on a given objective... Or simply a tanker that doesn't try to kill you when on the basket and refueling.

😍

• Like 8

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

I clicked vulcan but I didn’t see multithreading below on my phone browser. I advocate for performance improvements. Seeing how much performance is degraded by having a ground battle in progress (artillery firing, moving vehicles, etc) I can’t imagine a decent dynamic campaign would work with the current state of the simulation engine. Egg before chicken.

Edited by evilnate
  • Like 3

The problem with such a list is it gives false hopes. I've been around since the start of DCS and I've yet to see any improvements to AI. Now the big brass have spoken and apparently AI is on the table. The question is how many more years it will take before we see some changes coming. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, b0bl00i said:

The problem with such a list is it gives false hopes. I've been around since the start of DCS and I've yet to see any improvements to AI. Now the big brass have spoken and apparently AI is on the table. The question is how many more years it will take before we see some changes coming. 

2.7 gave us improved WWII dogfight AI, and before that we had changes to AI visual acquisition and an attempt at changing gunnery. There have been AI improvements already, so it's not like ED hasn't done anything at all.

• Like 2

Awaiting: DCS F-15C

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files

14 hours ago, Exorcet said:

2.7 gave us improved WWII dogfight AI, and before that we had changes to AI visual acquisition and an attempt at changing gunnery. There have been AI improvements already, so it's not like ED hasn't done anything at all.

From my perspective, it's utterly incompetent, as it has been for 10 plus years (I'm not flying ww2) 

On 8/6/2021 at 2:32 AM, b0bl00i said:

From my perspective, it's utterly incompetent, as it has been for 10 plus years (I'm not flying ww2) 

Perspective doesn't really play a part. Changes have been made. From my own testing I think it's a nice improvement. It's not perfect yet, but ED isn't standing still doing nothing.

I understand the annoyance at having to wait, I'm looking forward to better modern fighter AI as well, but I think it's only fair to ED to acknowledge when they do something.

• Like 1

Awaiting: DCS F-15C

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files

I for one want better AI across the board. Better, realistic, Air to air combat. ATC, and AI responding to them. Better ground AI. Way better ship AI. Particularly ships that are closer to jets in there AI. A ship has counter measures, it will position itself to place it's defenses to the thret, they will pursue targets, and run from threats. 

• Like 1

Hardware: T-50 Mongoose, VKB STECS, Saitek 3 Throttle Quadrant, Homemade 32-function Leo Bodnar Button Box, MFG Crosswind Pedals Oculus Rift S

System Specs: MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS, RTX 3090, Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 32GB DDR4-3200, Samsung 860 EVO, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB

Modules: AH-64D, Ka-50, Mi-8MTV2, F-16C, F-15E, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-5E, P-51D, Spitfire Mk LF Mk. IXc, Bf-109K-4, Fw-190A-8

Maps: Normandy, Nevada, Persian Gulf, Syria

Simple request: Exit/Quit on the DCS main login/startup dialog.

I'm behind a slow Internet connection and sometimes I will start the updater at a time that I am not planning on using the sim just so that it is ready to go when I get to sit down to use it. I have five installs of DCS (mission editor lap top, two server VMs, two actual pits with different hardware) so it's time intensive to update.

After the updater runs it always goes to the login dialog and I have to use Task Mangler to exit. IIRC when sitting at the login prompt the GPU is engaged and it is burning more power than a simple login box implies. Minor quibble but worth mentioning.

Also, would be good if double clicking on dcs_updater.exe did not start the sim after it completed. It should just return to the command prompt silently. I realize that in order to automate updates during initial game start up there needs some kind of hand off between these programs - maybe a wrapper app could be used here. Another tact: when starting dcs_updater.exe stand alone and asking whether to update or not, add a check/radio box to ask the user if they want to exit after update or launch DCS. Just a thought.

Simple request: Exit/Quit on the DCS main login/startup dialog.

I'm behind a slow Internet connection and sometimes I will start the updater at a time that I am not planning on using the sim just so that it is ready to go when I get to sit down to use it. I have five installs of DCS (mission editor lap top, two server VMs, two actual pits with different hardware) so it's time intensive to update.

After the updater runs it always goes to the login dialog and I have to use Task Mangler to exit. IIRC when sitting at the login prompt the GPU is engaged and it is burning more power than a simple login box implies. Minor quibble but worth mentioning.

Also, would be good if double clicking on dcs_updater.exe did not start the sim after it completed. It should just return to the command prompt silently. I realize that in order to automate updates during initial game start up there needs some kind of hand off between these programs - maybe a wrapper app could be used here. Another tact: when starting dcs_updater.exe stand alone and asking whether to update or not, add a check/radio box to ask the user if they want to exit after update or launch DCS. Just a thought.
The command: "dcs_updater.exe update" will initiate the update but does not start the game...

Envoyé de mon Mi 9 Lite en utilisant Tapatalk

1 hour ago, toma19 said:

The command: "dcs_updater.exe update" will initiate the update but does not start the game...

Envoyé de mon Mi 9 Lite en utilisant Tapatalk

You know - as soon as I posted that and left the forum I started wondering if there was a command line switch for it. Thanks!

Still would like to see some form of exit/quit on the login dialog though.

I will add:

- DLSS + FSR upscaling, including and especially in VR mode.

- Enhancements to VR interface, such as the ability to hit a single button to swap between VR/Desktop modes while in game, including auto-switching graphics preset ala MSFS2020. Also, an option to prevent head from escaping the cockpit.

- Ability to save progress mid-mission and/or checkpoints. I know this has been beaten to death but I am still befuddled by the absence of this. I love simming, but trying to learn the game and having a family and limited energy means constantly replaying the first 25 minutes of a mission only to keep dying when action engages can be grating.

All modules & maps | VR only (5950x, 4090, Reverb G2)

I would also add:

A dramatically overhauled coalition system, to the tune of something like C:MANO. Where you can add/edit/remove sides at will, as well as change their posture in relation to other sides,  as well as global settings for skill level, ROE and doctrine (as well as on a per group or per unit basis).

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.