Large performance drop in VR after updating to 2.8

some1

It might be also worth looking at this:

same display issue on my end but I did not had soft shadows turned on (I don't recall the name of that setting, but I had just a sharp plane outline as shadow)

Now also my shadows are rendered with an soft edge. I was not able to use higher quality shadows in 2.7 and it might be that those are now on with 'flat shadows' and hence tank the performance. 

7 hours ago, Rudel_chw said:

On this video test, by @ismaeljorda, the performance drop does not seem very significant:

Even on the thumbnail you can see 10% increase in gpu frame times, cpu frame times went up from 10.5 to 13 (more than 25٪) and his fps dropped by 8 or 15, depending on if you look at momentary or average fps. How's that an insignificant drop? 

Edited by some1
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

2 hours ago, some1 said:

How's that an insignificant drop?

nice, changing my words 🙄 … to put it another way, how’s that a LARGE drop? 

• Like 1

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

On 10/29/2022 at 10:53 AM, Rudel_chw said:

Because you are talking about the best rig possibe to play DCS, with power to spare. In an average rig drops are more noticeable. They messed up something, like how 2.5.6 messed up lighting for months.

Edited by Eviscerador
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

My first impression is that the impact on FPS from the clouds is less than it used to be, but something else is more taxing, especially when on the ground.

• Like 1
Spoiler

W10-x64 | Z390 Gigabyte Aorus Ultra | Core i7 9700K @ 4.8Ghz | Noctua NH-D15

Corsair 32Gb 3200 | MSI RTX 3080ti Gaming X

Asus Xonar AE | TM Hotas Warthog

MFG Crosswind pedals | Valve Index

I went through this file and realized that with a simple 2080 and an i7/7700k I get between 55&60 fps in VR on all my cards except the Caucasus where I lost about 5 fps? Which for me remains playable and relatively smooth.
Ha yes what I also lost was this slight stutter that I had when I looked at the ground on the side of the cockpit, in addition the clouds in 2.8 are of better quality than in 2.7.
For me, I haven't lost anything between 2.7 and 2.8 in terms of performance.
I have gained in quality which suits me.
Now I'm wondering if I should go with a 3090/4090 or keep my 2080.🤔

• Like 1

[TR 1950X, 64GB RAM, RTX3090, DCS installed on m2-SSD, HP Reverb G2, Thrustmaster Hotas, Win 10 latest, GFX-settinings: VR]

Until now version 2.7 ran flawlessly on my rather outdated rig.

After updating to version 2.8, an otherwise fast rendering "2 minute fun ride of river run challenge" ends in heavy stuttering, with even the windows desktop included with massive CPU utilization spikes.

UPDATE: I let "DCS-Update-Witching-Utility.exe" witch everything, and let "DCS Updater Utility.exe" repair, clean and update. The fps-drops are gone, the simulation runs fast again without any lagging.

UPDATE2: The same symptoms re-occurred, only 20 later minutes into the simulation. Therefore I tried the stable 2.7 version. Here I got the heavy lagging and stuttering like in 2.8 !! So I reverted the to "522.25-desktop-win10-win11-64bit-international-dch-whql.exe" which is the NVIDIA driver version right before the latest version (526.47). With this older driver I did a "river run challenge" and a "case 1 recovery" without any issues. So maybe the graphics driver is also an issue or even the main culprit...

UPDATE3: Close, but no cigar. The stuttering came right back 1h after play. So I did a complete reinstall of Windows 10, this finally solved the problem. After 4h of testing no such problems. NVIDIA-Driver-Version: 512.15 (came right over Windows-Update)

Edited by Geoman
update3
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

AMD TR1950X, RTX 3090, 64 GB RAM, Reverb G2, HOTAS Warthog & Saitek Combat Rudder Padels

5 hours ago, Rudel_chw said:

25% drop in cpu performance is larger than what we gained in the last three cpu generations from Intel and AMD. In other words, we would need several years of hardware development to close the gap that ED manged to introduce with a single patch. 

I hope it's just the bugged shadows that cause current performance issues. 

• Like 7

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

23 minutes ago, some1 said:

25% drop in cpu performance is larger than what we gained in the last three cpu generations from Intel and AMD. In other words, we would need several years of hardware development to close the gap that ED manged to introduce with a single patch. 

I hope it's just the bugged shadows that cause current performance issues. 

Yep. This is what I am really worried about. Just updated my PC a few weeks ago for a smooth running 2.7. Which was busted with one single update.

Edited by darkman222
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, darkman222 said:

Yep. This is what I am really worried about. Just updated my PC a few weeks ago for a smooth running 2.7. Which was busted with one single update.

I was hesitant to update; but actually had just done adjustments to my graphics settings not two weeks ago and was able to get a baseline.

I am 2D, and on an older Nvidia driver than most people like to be on (ie... not... the latest).

I am seeing performance dips in some rare places (extreme external view zoom ins across maps that always really hurt FPS); however general cockpit FOV and view? After resetting FXO and Metashaders and doing a repair after updating, I am not seeing any performance hits.

• Like 2

I was hesitant to update; but actually had just done adjustments to my graphics settings not two weeks ago and was able to get a baseline.
I am 2D, and on an older Nvidia driver than most people like to be on (ie... not... the latest).
I am seeing performance dips in some rare places (extreme external view zoom ins across maps that always really hurt FPS); however general cockpit FOV and view? After resetting FXO and Metashaders and doing a repair after updating, I am not seeing any performance hits.
You're one of the lucky ones in that case

12900KF | Maximus Hero Z690 | ASUS 4090 TUF OC | 64GB DDR5 5200 | DCS on 2TB NVMe | WarBRD+Warthog Stick | CM3 | TM TPR's | Varjo Aero

Seems to be so.

So I guess as a going reminder to anyone and everyone; please share the important details of things like knowing FXO and Metashaders were indeed reset, what GPU you're using, what GPU Drivers you're on, etc.

I hope these don't embed but if anyone's curious to see some of my comparisons; note the very drastic visual difference in the zoomed in view looking at downtown Nevada; that is the one also that has the very dramatic FPS hit.

I have DCS frame limited to 80FPS for anyone curious about that; running a EVGA 3070XC3 and on 522.25; and I do not seem to have the shadow bug for the record.

Which is what I hope people are able to figure out today is why some people are getting the shadow bug, and others like myself are not; because I'm very much inclined to believe it's a GPU and driver issue; ignoring that ED has a fix for now; as we won't see it for some time.

Spoiler

Screen_221022_230952.png

Screen_221029_094219.png

Spoiler

Screen_221022_230511.png

Screen_221029_094548.png

Spoiler

Screen_221022_233207.png

Screen_221029_100715.jpg

9 minutes ago, XCNuse said:

Seems to be so.

So I guess as a going reminder to anyone and everyone; please share the important details of things like knowing FXO and Metashaders were indeed reset, what GPU you're using, what GPU Drivers you're on, etc.

I hope these don't embed but if anyone's curious to see some of my comparisons; note the very drastic visual difference in the zoomed in view looking at downtown Nevada; that is the one also that has the very dramatic FPS hit.

I have DCS frame limited to 80FPS for anyone curious about that; running a EVGA 3070XC3 and on 522.25; and I do not seem to have the shadow bug for the record.

Which is what I hope people are able to figure out today is why some people are getting the shadow bug, and others like myself are not; because I'm very much inclined to believe it's a GPU and driver issue; ignoring that ED has a fix for now; as we won't see it for some time.

Hide contents

Screen_221022_230952.png

Screen_221029_094219.png

Hide contents

Screen_221022_230511.png

Screen_221029_094548.png

Reveal hidden contents

Screen_221022_233207.png

Screen_221029_100715.jpg

Specs are in my sig. Re driver there are only a choice of two for the 4090 the issue happened on both the previous and current version of the Nvidia driver. The only difference is 2.7 VS 2.8 so unless they are relying on something specific in an Nvidia driver I can't see how it's a driver bug.

• Thanks 1

12900KF | Maximus Hero Z690 | ASUS 4090 TUF OC | 64GB DDR5 5200 | DCS on 2TB NVMe | WarBRD+Warthog Stick | CM3 | TM TPR's | Varjo Aero

26 minutes ago, XCNuse said:

You have the same shadows bug that everyone else. Note that the shadows in your 2.8 screenshots are smoother, while the 2.7 shadows are jagged. You've also lost the shadows under distant vehicles. The weird shadow glitches mostly appear at certain angles with terrain object shadows set to OFF, and you seem to have them set to FLAT?

Posting 80 fps screenshot when your fps is locked to 80 in both cases is completely meaningless.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, some1 said:

You have the same shadows bug that everyone else. Note that the shadows in your 2.8 screenshots are smoother, while the 2.7 shadows are jagged. You've also lost the shadows under distant vehicles. The weird shadow glitches mostly appear at certain angles with terrain object shadows set to OFF, and you seem to have them set to FLAT?

Posting 80 fps screenshot when your fps is locked to 80 in both cases is completely meaningless.

One of those is 80FPS, and was clarifying why they were both 80 FPS; but you can still see a difference in CPU and GPU timings; and visual differences in color etc. otherwise I'm aware it's not entirely beneficial, that's why others were shared.

As said; I've noticed a very different appearance in the shadows; they're very high resolution compared to what they were, and yes; draw distance is... perhaps something like 1/4 what they used to be? roughly?

Beyond that; I'm too afraid to touch my shadow setting and watch it break and get shadows on top of things lol; but as it stands; I'm certainly not getting shadows on top of objects, which to me is the real bug; not the draw distance.

• Like 1

Okay, after extensive testing here's my results:

1. In settings on the LEFT Column, if I turn SHADOWS and SECONDARY SHADOWS to OFF (where in 2.7 I had them FLAT ONLY / ON respectively) then I get about 12-15 fps back.

This has NOTHING to do with the RIGHT column and the 'TERRAIN OBJECTS SHADOWS' which have always been 'FLAT'.

2. Turning off SSAA/SSLR/SSAO now give me about 3-5 more FPS, whereas on 2.7 I had them on 1.5 / ON / ON respectively.

3. I have kept 'COCKPIT GLOBAL ILLUMINATION' ON in all tests because I'm not letting that go.

I believe that ALL SHADOWS in the new lighting engine are the culprits for the massive FPS drop we've seen many of us having. Of course newer rigs or supercomputers have a minor drop, but we can't all afford $6000 every few years on a PC just for DCS.

It's about time that the new engine/Vulkan stuff came out... My multicore CPU is wasted here, even if it is an i7 overclocked to a stable 5.0Ghz with 64GB DDR4 ram.

I hope that a patch will address the shadow issues AND NOT JUST FOR TERRAIN OBJECT SHADOWS but for all of them @BIGNEWY?

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Elphaba said:

I believe that ALL SHADOWS in the new lighting engine are the culprits for the massive FPS drop we've seen many of us having.

Indeed, i set Shadows to OFF and got back around +15 fps in VR and lower frametime, smooth. Usually i have them set to Flat with no FPS issues.

• Like 2

- "Don't be John Wayne in the Break if you´re going to be Jerry Lewis on the Ball".

About carrier ops: "The younger pilots are still quite capable of holding their heads forward against the forces. The older ones have been doing this too long and know better; sore necks make for poor sleep.'

PC: I7 4790K 4.6ghz | 32GB RAM | Zotac GTX 1080Ti 11Gb DDR5x | Water cooler NZXT AIO Kraken x53 | 3.5TB (x4 SSD´s) | Valve Index| Andre´s JeatSeat.

13 hours ago, durp said:

It might be also worth looking at this:

same display issue on my end but I did not had soft shadows turned on (I don't recall the name of that setting, but I had just a sharp plane outline as shadow)

Now also my shadows are rendered with an soft edge. I was not able to use higher quality shadows in 2.7 and it might be that those are now on with 'flat shadows' and hence tank the performance. 

That happens, when you have shadows on but terrain shadows off - gave me some headaches as well today

Main Module: AH-64D

Personal Wishlist: HH-60G, F-117A, B-52H

1 hour ago, Elphaba said:

Okay, after extensive testing here's my results:

1. In settings on the LEFT Column, if I turn SHADOWS and SECONDARY SHADOWS to OFF (where in 2.7 I had them FLAT ONLY / ON respectively) then I get about 12-15 fps back.

This has NOTHING to do with the RIGHT column and the 'TERRAIN OBJECTS SHADOWS' which have always been 'FLAT'.

2. Turning off SSAA/SSLR/SSAO now give me about 3-5 more FPS, whereas on 2.7 I had them on 1.5 / ON / ON respectively.

3. I have kept 'COCKPIT GLOBAL ILLUMINATION' ON in all tests because I'm not letting that go.

I believe that ALL SHADOWS in the new lighting engine are the culprits for the massive FPS drop we've seen many of us having. Of course newer rigs or supercomputers have a minor drop, but we can't all afford $6000 every few years on a PC just for DCS.

It's about time that the new engine/Vulkan stuff came out... My multicore CPU is wasted here, even if it is an i7 overclocked to a stable 5.0Ghz with 64GB DDR4 ram.

I hope that a patch will address the shadow issues AND NOT JUST FOR TERRAIN OBJECT SHADOWS but for all of them @BIGNEWY?

Wow! New/different shadows for the price of 15!FPS!

Haven't updated yet and I fear I won't until this is addressed. 

I hope ED will have a close look at it and not only stating that this is it somehow. 

Can't be true and I am really getting tired of spending money just to keep good visuals in DCS alive. I just (today) put in my 4090 with good hopes that this will be the last upgrade for a longer time period. Seems that wish lasted exactly one day... 

• Like 2

GeForce RTX 4090 Founders Edition - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D - 64Gb RAM - Win11 - HP Reverb G1 - Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS (40cm extension) - VKB Sim T-Rudder MKIV Pedals