Patch notes discussion October 2023 - DCS 2.9

BIGNEWY

Is nobody else getting crazy shimmering of shadows and in particular 3D grass with 2.9?
I was getting some grass shimmer with MSAA. None with DLSS or DLAA.

I play in VR though, so I can't speak for monitor graphics.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

14 minutes ago, Zebra1-1 said:

It's well known at this point, so I'm sure there will be patches soon. I don't find the ghosting to be too bad though.

My point its about why is so bad on ED modules but it works perfect on Mirage and Strike Eagle TGP (but rest of menús on SE have ghosting but much less than, as example, Viper), they have to make something different

NZXT H9 Flow Black | Intel Core i5 13600KF OCed P5.6 E4.4 | Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo DDR5-6000 32GB C30 OCed 6600 C32 | nVidia GeForce RTX 4090 Founders Edition |  Western Digital SN770 2TB | Gigabyte GP-UD1000GM PG5 ATX 3.0 1000W | SteelSeries Apex 7 | Razer Viper Mini | SteelSeries Artics Nova 7 | LG OLED42C2 | Xiaomi P1 55"

Virpil T-50 CM2 Base + Thrustmaster Warthog Stick | WinWing Orion 2 F16EX Viper Throttle  | WinWing ICP | 3 x Thrustmaster MFD | Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals | Oculus Quest 2

DCS World | Persian Gulf | Syria | Flaming Cliff 3 | P-51D Mustang | Spitfire LF Mk. IX | Fw-109 A-8 | A-10C II Tank Killer | F/A-18C Hornet | F-14B Tomcat | F-16C Viper | F-15E Strike Eagle | M2000C | Ka-50 BlackShark III | Mi-24P Hind | AH-64D Apache | SuperCarrier

My point its about why is so bad on ED modules but it works perfect on Mirage and Strike Eagle TGP (but rest of menús on SE have ghosting but much less than, as example, Viper), they have to make something different
No idea. I've only tried 2.9 in the Viper so far.
The older modules may need some updated graphics tweaks to match the core, but that's way outside of my expertise.

3 hours ago, Zebra1-1 said:

I was getting some grass shimmer with MSAA. None with DLSS or DLAA.

I play in VR though, so I can't speak for monitor graphics.

dlss and sss produces odd effects, avoid that combination, bug

dlaa and sss if fine 

Edited by KCOOL
  • Like 2

On 10/20/2023 at 4:26 PM, Mateo said:

I suffer stuttering both MT and ST. After cleanup and repair I have got still the same issue. No luck...

The place where I noticed this the most, downright jarring, was A2AR from a C-130.  Of course I didn't try with an IL-78, so maybe the tanker version is inconsequential.

Anyway, the basket had about twelve gallons of coffee too much. 

It was visible flying formation with an AI F-14, it about took my teeth out when I tried to refuel.

Tracks, maybe even videos, on demand.  I'd be a bit stunned if ED hasn't been inundated with both.

Edited by Raisuli

7 hours ago, Zebra1-1 said:

The desktop icon still launches ST for me. Have to launch DCS from the Steam library to start in MT.

Hope ED will drop ST entirely from OB soon. I honestly see no reason to keep ST around in OB anymore.

Why don't you point the desktop icon to the MT version or create a new shortcut to the MT DCS.exe if you find the step going through the Steam libraby a step to much?

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

Why don't you point the desktop icon to the MT version or create a new shortcut to the MT DCS.exe if you find the step going through the Steam libraby a step to much?
I could. I just don't mind launching from the Steam library.

I read somewhere here that MT is now the default launch since 2.9, so I just figured that the desktop icon is now configured for that. Just something I was pointing out incase this was a minor bug.

The track reply system was still not working, at least for the marvellous and notorious F-14B. I shot down the J-11A during play and I suddenly went 1-circle and got shot down in the replay... 😞

F-14B BFM J-11A Veteran.trk

VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants -- this is how I fly. We do not fly at treetop height, we fly between trees(TM)

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc9BDi-STaqgWsjNiHbW0fA

My simple missions: https://forum.dcs.world/topic/284071-vr-flight-guy-in-pj-pants-simple-missions/

NSRI - National Strategy Research Institution, a fictional organisation based on wordplay of Strategic Naval Research Institution (SNRI), a fictional institution appears in Mobile Suit Gundam UC timeline.

7 minutes ago, VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants said:

The track reply system was still not working, at least for the marvellous and notorious F-14B. I shot down the J-11A during play and I suddenly went 1-circle and got shot down in the replay... 😞

F-14B BFM J-11A Veteran.trk 15.19 MB · 0 downloads

Exactly the same for me. Its never worked correctly for a couple of years I've found. I had a flight on the gauntlet mission and replayed the track to find my wingman crashed into me mid air but I completed the mission in real time should I say and successfully made it back to base.

• Like 2

I7 10700K (OVERCLOCKED)5.1GHZ, ASUS STRIX Z490F MOTHERBOARD, RTX VENTUS 4070 12GB, 64GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE (3500mhz) 2X 1TB NVMe M.2 980 PRO SSD. WIN11,THRUSTMASTER WARTHOG JOYSTICK,THROTTLE,TRACK IR.

I am in quite a mess here. DCS Open Beta will not launch it crashes every time. I do not see anything in the log file that gives me a clue. DCS Updater utility will not allow me to select anything. I want to try a repair, can someone please tell me the command line to do a repair of my install? All I know to do now is try a slow repair. I am getting desperate, any help would be greatly appreciated!

dcs.20231022-102433[1].log

Edited by dburne

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

6 minutes ago, dburne said:

I am in quite a mess here. DCS Open Beta will not launch. DCS Updater utility will not allow me to select anything. I want to try a repair, can someone please tell me the command line to do a repair of my install? All I know to do now is try a slow repair. I am getting desperate, any help would be greately appreciated!

How to repair/cleanup or update DCS World? (digitalcombatsimulator.com)

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

YOUTUBE CHANNEL: @speed-of-heat

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

3 minutes ago, speed-of-heat said:

Thank you so very much ! Starting a full slow repair now.

• Like 2

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

46 minutes ago, speed-of-heat said:

All good now thank you!!

Sadly DCS Updater Utility still not working, will try a clean install of it.

Don B

39 minutes ago, dburne said:

All good now thank you!!

You could try any of the old version of Dcs Updater utility. Version 7:31:2023 GUI interface would just quit on me before I could do anything. I reverted to on earlier version which worked until the latest version was released.

Good luck.

Windows 10 Pro 64bit|Ryzen 5600 @3.8Ghz|EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra|Corair vengence 32G DDR4 @3200mhz|MSI B550|Thrustmaster Flightstick| Virpil CM3 Throttle| Thrustmaster TFRP Rudder Pedal /Samsung Odyssey Plus Headset

1 minute ago, Eaglewings said:

You could try any of the old version of Dcs Updater utility. Version 7:31:2023 GUI interface would just quit on me before I could do anything. I reverted to on earlier version which worked until the latest version was released.

Good luck.

I will check it out, thanks. Clean install and it still will not let me do anything, can not set the path to DCS.

I have moved to the Updater Utility forum.

Edited by dburne

Don B

1 hour ago, dburne said:

All good now thank you!!

in a commandline, navigate to your dcs bin folder and type in the following: dcs_updater update @openbeta <enter>

It looks like NVGs have been updated in VR to replicate two tubes that you can look under.  I didn't see this in the patch notes.  Was this just something that was in a previous patch that I never noticed because I was using mods to do this?  Or were NVGs updated for 2.9?

• Like 1

i9 12900k @ 4.9ghz, 32gb RAM

Nvidia RTX 3090

Windows 11 x64

Valve Index

Brunner CLS-E w/RS F16GRH, Virpil TCS Rotor Plus Collective, BRD F1 Pedals, WH Throttle, FSSB R3 w/WH Grip, PointCTRL v1

When we had the opportunity to send some feedback to ED not long back I expressed my concerns with VR and how I feel it has been neglected. 
This update has improved the situation with VR, the upscale options have given me a notable visual improvement whilst continuing to maintain 45fps and smooth VR gameplay. I am still playing around to fine tune my settings but tried the Spitfire on the Normandy map last night and all I can say is it beautiful. Sinai was running smoothly as well. 
However despite an improvement with the North Atlantic map, and I noticed in the update the the built up areas have received some optimisation, there is still warping stuttering and strange effects when looking over buildings and it is in my view still unplayable. I will continue to see what settings can be changed but unfortunately that means having different settings applied depending on the map you are using. I have noticed that if you make changes to graphics in the settings despite it saying no game restart is needed you do need to restart dcs or performance is poor. I am still getting a lot of steam VR crashes with OB that I don’t tend to get with normal DCS. Not sure if anyone else is experiencing that? 

To think we could have further improvements with Vulkan being implemented, things are heading in the right direction. 
I shall stick with my 3080 for now and not invest in a costly upgrade. 

• Like 1

harrier landing GIFRYZEN 7 3700X Running at 4.35 GHz

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080Ti

32gb DDR4 RAM @3200 MHz

Oculus CV1 NvME 970 EVO

TM Warthog Stick & Throttle plus 11" extension. VKB T-Rudder MKIV

16 hours ago, Zebra1-1 said:

Hope ED will drop ST entirely from OB soon. I honestly see no reason to keep ST around in OB anymore.

Up until 2.9 I have found ST, OpenVR & reprojection the smoothest experience. 2.9 may change that (lots of fiddling to do) but having ST & OpenVR available in the OpenBeta provides a useful comparison of like for like feature wise.

My expectations are that MT & OpenXR will make ST largely obsolete but we aren't there yet IMHO.

AMD 5800X3D · MSI 4080 · Asus ROG Strix B550 Gaming  · HP Reverb Pro · 1Tb M.2 NVMe, 32Gb Corsair Vengence 3600MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · VIRPIL T-50CM3 Base, Alpha Prime R. VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Base. JetSeat

hi guys, lost in the settings here. can you give some advise for my system?

rtx3070, 32gb ram, 9700k, 2k monitor

FC3 | UH-1 | Mi-8 | A-10C II | F/A-18 | Ka-50 III | F-14 | F-16 | AH-64 Mi-24 | F-5 | F-15E| F-4| Tornado

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Syria | NS-430 | Supercarrier // Wishlist: CH-53 | UH-60

Youtube

MS FFB2 - TM Warthog - CH Pro Pedals - Trackir 5