12.01.2024 - Vulkan Progress | DCS Core | DCS Modules

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks BIGNEWY!

This newsletter is a fantastic read. Lots of ambitious projects that will certainly make DCS even better than it already is. Of course you want everything to be ready tomorrow, but the past few years have shown that it can be worth the wait. I wish the ED team every success in realizing all their projects!

• Like 2

PC: Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming | AMD Ryzen 7800X3D | Palit GeForce RTX 4090 Game Rock OC | 64 GB Patriot VIPER VENOM DDR5-6000

Input: Brunner CLS-E FFB Base | Thrustmaster Warthog Joystick & Throttle | Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder | WinWing Phoenix MIP (VR) - F16 ICP - PTO2 | VPC SharKA-50 Collective 

VR: HP Reverb G2

Motion-Platform: Motionsystems PS-6TM-150 | Monstertech MTX

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/@madmontys6dofmotionplatfor386/featured

Perhaps this is a difficult question to answer, but after watching the latest Gonky&Mover show featuring Sir Wags, the biggest question on my mind concerning the future of DCS from an end-user perspective, is about graphics cards and specifically AMD vs nVIDIA. 
To me it sounds like the more fancy and noteworthy effects coming to DCS will require an RTX video card. I remember for years ED making very clear statements against the use of proprietary technology but how will AMD users fare in the not-too-distant future?

I’d like some clear and honest comments on that topic pretty please 🙏

• Like 3
Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset

12 minutes ago, Raven (Elysian Angel) said:

Perhaps this is a difficult question to answer, but after watching the latest Gonky&Mover show featuring Sir Wags, the biggest question on my mind concerning the future of DCS from an end-user perspective, is about graphics cards and specifically AMD vs nVIDIA. 
To me it sounds like the more fancy and noteworthy effects coming to DCS will require an RTX video card. I remember for years ED making very clear statements against the use of proprietary technology but how will AMD users fare in the not-too-distant future?

Every game so far that uses RTX can be played equally fine without it. Take Cyberpunk as an example. You have to be very minute and tech knowledgeable to pinpoint the actual differences in the highest non-RTX setting vs. actual RTX. While playing and in motion the picture looks slightly different, but „better or worse“ is pretty much a matter of taste. Just watch some comparison videos and see what length they have to go (zoom, close-ups, „red circles“) to show the differences.

I wouldn’t be to worried (in fact I‘m not worried at all)!

• Like 2

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

4 minutes ago, Hiob said:

very minute and tech knowledgeable

Wags talked about Dynamic Shadows, and from my (albeit very limited) understanding that’s going to be a very noticeable upgrade over the current screen-space shadows especially given all the issues that come with anything screen-space.

Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

On a different topic:

I applaud ED for having a vision and working on it and trying to do it „right“ rather than „fast“. Keeping their lips tight regarding stuff until it is really progressed in a meaningful way is reasonable and an overall good call. All you get from letting out early is that the nitpickers go mental over changes in scope or timeline (or priorities). That said, I‘m excited for the stuff that is coming and can‘t wait of course! 😁🤗 (but I will! 🤘)

• Like 2

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

Wow that newsletter more or less covered all my general complaints about DCS. It was a list of stuff I've bitched about and now they are fixing them(or at least working on fixing them)

My only remaining complaint not directly answered is the AI ground/ship accuracy. With expansion into pacific having realistic accuracy from AAA from ships seems like a biggy.

Given the deadliness of the German U-boat or schell boat fire. I can only imagine (with horror) what would happen if you tried to attack two of those Japanese cruisers with Corsairs or hellcats.

• Like 1

i7 13700k @5.2ghz, GTX 3090, 64Gig ram 4800mhz DDR5, M2 drive.

20 minutes ago, Raven (Elysian Angel) said:

4 minutes ago, Hiob said:

Every game so far that uses RTX can be played equally fine without it. Take Cyberpunk as an example. You have to be very minute and tech knowledgeable to pinpoint the actual differences in the highest non-RTX setting vs. actual RTX. While playing and in motion the picture looks slightly different, but „better or worse“ is pretty much a matter of taste. Just watch some comparison videos and see what length they have to go (zoom, close-ups, „red circles“) to show the differences.

I wouldn’t be to worried (in fact I‘m not worried at all)!

Raytracing is not a proprietary technology!!!
If you think that you'll need an Nvidia card for raytracing, you've been bamboozled by Nvidia marketing. It's safe to say that AMD is working on closing the gap in regards to raytracing performance and we will surely see AMD's next generation of GPUs hit the stage with improved raytracing performance.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Raven (Elysian Angel) said:

Wags talked about Dynamic Shadows, and from my (albeit very limited) understanding that’s going to be a very noticeable upgrade over the current screen-space shadows especially given all the issues that come with anything screen-space.

Raytracing is a good, but not the only way to draw good shadows.

There will always be a trade-off between „the best“ visuals and their cost (performance). That won‘t change with vulkan or RTX. But I‘m a firm believer that there will always be a way to adjust properly to any (reasonable) hardware. Just like now. (VR maybe a little bit tougher to find the sweet spot today, but that will improve)

Edited by Hiob
  • Like 1

I think the 'save game' might be the biggest thing there for me. I am simple man.

• Like 6

- i7-7700k

- 32GB DDR4 2400Mhz

- GTX 1080 8GB

- Installed on SSD

- TM Warthog

DCS Modules - A-10C; M-2000C; AV8B; F/A-18C; Ka-50; FC-3; UH-1H; F-5E; Mi-8; F-14; Persian Gulf; NTTR

Just now, twistking said:

Raytracing is not a proprietary technology!!!

Yes thank you I am very well aware of that. Wags specifically said “RTX cards” hence my question and concern. It’s going to affect people’s purchase decisions after all…

• Like 1
Spoiler

Just now, Raven (Elysian Angel) said:

Yes thank you I am very well aware of that. Wags specifically said “RTX cards” hence my question and concern. It’s going to affect people’s purchase decisions after all…

Oh... i see. Sorry!
I do udnerstand your concern then, however i'm again fairly certain that maybe Wags himself has been bamboozled by Nvidia marketing to some extend. To be fair: In practice raytracing is not very viable on everything but Nvidia currently, AMD's next generation is not announced yet, so i assume he was just thinking about the current market situation and said RTX without thinking too much about the implications. It would be stupid for ED to artificially limit raytracing to a vendor. Clarification would be nice though.

• Like 1

Save game is big but I welcome a very rare mention of ATC improvements - although the article is not clear if we will recieve any changes this coming or not?

Anyone able to clarify at ED please? (everything subject to change of course)

Regards,

Gary

• Like 2

I5 - 1TB SSHD, 256 SSD - Nvidia 1070 - 16gb ram - CV1

7 minutes ago, twistking said:

. It would be stupid for ED to artificially limit raytracing to a vendor. Clarification would be nice though.

Yes indeed and exactly!

I get annoyed sometimes at the current pop-in of shadows and how lighting changes are “instantly turned on and off” instead of gradual. So if that can be improved, I might be persuaded to go back to nVIDIA despite their cards being stupidly overpriced…

• Like 1
Spoiler

• ED Team
3 minutes ago, Gary said:

Save game is big but I welcome a very rare mention of ATC improvements - although the article is not clear if we will recieve any changes this coming or not?

Anyone able to clarify at ED please? (everything subject to change of course)

Regards,

Gary

ATC is a huge task but is in progress, we will share more news when we are ready to. 

thanks

• Like 3

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

6 minutes ago, Raven (Elysian Angel) said:

Yes indeed and exactly!

I get annoyed sometimes at the current pop-in of shadows and how lighting changes are “instantly turned on and off” instead of gradual. So if that can be improved, I might be persuaded to go back to nVIDIA despite their cards being stupidly overpriced…

Realistically both Intel and AMD will have their next generations of GPUs launched before raytracing arrives in DCS. I'd be surprised if those GPUs were not viable for at least running some RT effects. So let's wait and see...

Edited by twistking
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, BIGNEWY said:

Here are some of the interesting functionality improvements coming to DCS:

Save Game. Our new game persistence system will allow you to save mid-mission and return to that save point at a later time.

This got to be my #1 feature, it will help me a lot when flying Campaigns, as I can save the game prior to arriving to the combat zone, so as to save time if I end-up reflying the mission.

Replay System. ... The system in development for 2024 is designed to address this and will offer additional capabilities. 

Sincerely, the last fixes to the replay system left it completely useful for my needs, allowing me to refly a mission from external view for recording videos, so further refinements are not really critical for me.

Infantry Unit Improvements. We will be working on new infantry models and animations in 2024 along with more life-like behaviors.

This will be a great feature, looking forward to them.

New Air, Ground, and Naval Units. New units will be available in 2024 that will range from World War II to modern day. Each unit requires thousands of man-hours to create and will be provided as optional packs at their highest levels of detail. Standard versions will also be available for free to ensure both single-player and multiplayer compatibility for all.

This is great news, I will of course purchase every optional pack that you release, both to enjoy the more detailed assets, and to show up my support to DCS, but its nice that the MP crowd will not have grounds to complain about the optional packs "splitting up the community"  🙂

Weather. The weather focus for 2024 will be on a new fog system and towering clouds with appropriate line-of-sight blocking.

I look forward to this, but my dearest wish is if it would be possible to have different weather over different map areas.

Spherical Earth. One of the biggest changes coming to DCS is the Spherical Earth. This substantial work is ongoing however we do not expect to release it this year due to the size of the endeavour.

This is not really an important aspect for my kind of DCs flying, so I don't really care about its schedule.

Air Traffic Control. Although we have a solid design to provide an exceptional ATC experience, much of the work in 2024 will involve how we generate the voice dialog and create a much-improved interface.

looking forward to any ATC improvement, as it is an important aspect of solo flight.

Improved Accessibility. To make DCS more accessible to new players, the Graphic User Interface will be updated to make it more user-friendly and include a Launcher with new capabilities.

I actually enjoy the current GUI, and would just like some polishing up, like adding an illustration to the mission list, like its done with the campaigns. Lets hope the new GUI doesn't sacrifice power for increasing its appeal to newcomers.

New interactive missions are also being developed to shallow the learning curve with popular modules like the F/A-18C.

looking forwards to trying these, as I enjoy the training aspect of DCS 🙂 

Air-To-Air Missile Development. We plan to migrate the R-27 (AA-10) family and R-73  (AA-11) missiles to a new component structure and flight dynamics. This will be coupled with a new proximity fuse model that accounts for Doppler closing speed, modified seekers, and a more realistic interaction model between the missile and the supporting radar. This will be done within the larger MiG-29 project framework.

I'm really looking forward to the MiG-29, hopefully all this missile tuning won't delay it.

ECM. We are developing more advanced principles of electronic warfare that will allow simulation of a greater variety of electronic warfare attack and countermeasure modes and capabilities. This is a very complex task and confidential subject. We cannot promise quick results, but work is underway to deliver a satisfactory simulation of this opaque area of modern warfare. 

Honestly, I don't really care that much about ECM, or crypto-comms ... but I'd love to have a working IFF system, as it has a much more important effect on simulating actual aerial combats.

Eduardo

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

Here are some of the interesting functionality improvements coming to DCS:

Save Game. Our new game persistence system will allow you to save mid-mission and return to that save point at a later time.

:surprise:

Dear everything that's holy!

This is going to be a huge game changer for SP

• Like 1

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

• ED Team
3 minutes ago, Silver_Dragon said:

The newsletter is too brief, more like the following. There are things that were already known and do not detail anything new about it 😞

it is impossible to fit everything in one newsletter, this is a summary of the bigger items we are working on. 

thanks

• Like 4

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2