DCS Update discussion February 2024

BIGNEWY

I just wanted to add my appreciation for the developers- well done all. 

VR appears to have a cleaner, smoother set of images with increased FPS. DLSS now appears to have the benefits of DLAA but with increased performance included. 

Thank you all again. 

• Like 1

Ryzen 5950X, MSI  RTX 3080TI, 1 TB SSD, 64GB 3600 MHZ DDR4 RAM, Pimax Crystal and 8KX KDMAS. WINWING F16EX Throttle: FSSB-R3-MKII ULTRA Base/TMWH Joystick: DCS: F16C

9 hours ago, Qcumber said:

I'm not sure it works that way. I didn't notice much difference and got called out in another thread which basically said that the latest version of DLSS needs to be optimised for DCS. I'll try to find it and re-post it here.

Edit: I found it. 

"DLSS is binary compatible.  This means that you can replace the executable, but you don't get the new features.  There's another video from Digital Foundry on YT that covers DLSS 3.5 in Cyperpunk 2.0.  Check it out.  The newer, cleaner DLSS will not be available until the Dev's add the new features to the DCS engine."

https://forum.dcs.world/topic/343957-dlaa-vs-msaa-for-vr/?do=findComment&comment=5385512

I will try this too (2D user) as currently ghosting with TAA (DLAA) is so massive. Even head movements with trackIR causes ghosting from cockpit structures.
All fine details like masts and powerlines are gone.
Strangely I didn't have those problems when first version with DLAA came at October. Only later.

• Like 1

Outstanding job on the patch!

• Like 1

Spoiler:

MSI Z790 Carbon WIFI, i9 14900KF, 64GB DDR4, MSI RTX 4090, Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle, VKB Gunfighter Ultimate MCG Pro w/200mm Extension, Winwing Orion Rudder Pedals W/damper, UTC MK II Pro, Virpil TCS Plus Collective, Dell AW3418DW Gsync monitor, 970 Pro M2 1TB (for DCS), Playseat Air Force Seat, KW-980 Jetseat, Vaicom Pro, 3X TM Cougar with Lilliput 8" screens. Tek Creations panels and controllers.

I was only able to free-flight for a bit in the F-18 and my initial thoughts are overwhelmingly positive. The F-18 feels different, but I will have to spend some more time with it to re-acclimate myself. As far as performance goes, I spent a lot of time dialing in my settings with my Aero/13900K/4090 and already had a pretty good experience ... but there was always still some micro-stutters sometimes. With this patch, everything seems smoother and more fluid. I will go back to a default config and re-optimize everything around this patch, but so far - the VR performance definitely seems improved!

1 hour ago, Gryzor said:

What is the difference you noticed?

if you remove the JHMCS, the helmet reverts to the standard dark visor... before the update the JHMCS visor was always present (I believe)  

19 hours ago, Schlingel mit Kringel said:

Yep, i think on the November or December podcast Wags mentioned they work on the F-5, but i can not recall any estimate. Eventually they do them all, the Mi-8 saw some love too last year after so many years. They just did the FC3 aircraft. The F-5 will be on the carousel too at some point.

I was also hoping that they add the vapour effects to almost all FC3 planes like the FC3 Mig 29 has...it feels as though something is missing out.

Thanks so much to the ED-Team for this great patch! 👍

I notice fps improvement in VR! Great!

DCS MT 2.9.4.53707
Modules: UH-1H - SA342 - KA-50 BS3 - MI-24P - MI-8MTV2 - AH-64D - CH-47F(Preorder) - UH-60L(Mod) - A-10CII - F-16C - F/A-18C - FC3 -Combined Arms
 - Supercarrier - NTTR - Normandy2.0 - Persian Gulf - Syria - SA - Sinai - Afghanistan(Preorder) — Waiting for: OH-58D - BO-105 - AH-1G/F(Mod) - OH-6(Mod) - Kola  - Australia - Iraq

DCS-Client: 10900K, 64GB 3600, RTX3090, 500GB M2 NVMe(win10), 2TB M2 NVMe(DCS), VR VivePro2, PointCTRL, VaicomPro, Wacom Intuos S with VRK v2Beta

DCS-DServer: 11600KF, 32GB 3600, GTX1080, 1TB M2 NVMe(win10), 2TB M2 NVMe(DCSDServer), DCS Olympus

Simpit: NLR Flightsim Pro, TM Warthog Grip with 30cm Extension + Throttle, VPforce Rhino FFB, Komodo Pedals with Dampers, VPC Rotorplus+CBkit+AH-64D Grip, NLR HF8, Buttkicker (3*MiniConcert), TotalControls AH64D MPD‘s, TM 2*MFD‘s, Streamdecks (1*32,3*15,1*6), VPC CP#1

12 hours ago, Braunn said:

F-18 definitely OP now. Holy crap even I can win a dog fight. 

There's actually been a fairly significant reduction in the Hornet's instantaneous and (especially noticeable) sustained turn rates. Before the update, if you kept your speed up between 350 an 400 kts, you could maintain a good rate (19-20ish deg. per sec.) without too much bleed. Now? Well, just try it yourself. You cannot maintain airspeed if you initiate a turn at or below 400kts (any altitude) without major bleed down...and I'm talking no stores, in full AB, a 55-60% back-stick deflection and roughly only 65-70% of max allowable G. I will post tracks at some point. Not saying this is wrong necessarily... but the new FM is hardly 'over-powered.' 

Now the new low speed AoA, on the other hand, is quite nice. 🙂

• Like 1

i7 8700K @ Stock - Win10 64 - 32 RAM - RTX 3080 12gb OC - 55 inch 4k Display

Terrain scenery performance: optimized instancing and improved and optimized streaming.

Whoever it was that worked on this please: Give this person or group a BONUS they earned every penny of it. The performance increase was amazing.

Also let this person have at the other areas of the sim.

To that person or group Well done!!!!

• Like 5

Can you explain to me the little problem I observed with my DCS installation;
Until Friday I had 2 versions of DCS (Open Beta and Stable)
and of course in games save the 2 Save DCS that go with it.
As I updated to 2.9.3 from stable I logically uninstalled the Open Beta and the backup (in games save) that goes with it, and there I lost all my Skins and my hotas settings more mfd etc etc.
(despite the fact that I always had games saved DCS Stable,
so I did a repair and DCS rebuilt my games to save Open Beta which is not logical since OB and uninstall?
Has anyone figured out how and why it does this?
Thanks for the help because I'm not going to keep 2 games saved.

Yeah, the new Dora D9 sounds are freaking awesome. It no longer sounds synthetic and changed to a smooth throaty mechanical action engine! Far Out!

Now, let's do the similar kind of sound update for ANTON!  It's a bit too buzzy right now and has very little bass.. 😞

On 2/22/2024 at 5:30 PM, BIGNEWY said:

if you are deleting many installs keep the stable version, it will be the go to version for all in the future. 

If I get this right then there is no need to maintain two versions (Open Beta and Stable) going forward. So far I have kept both updated. Is there any reason why I should not delete the Open Beta version? That move would free up about 400 GB on my "Games" disk.
Please confirm!

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5

1 minute ago, LeCuvier said:

If I get this right then there is no need to maintain two versions (Open Beta and Stable) going forward. So far I have kept both updated. Is there any reason why I should not delete the Open Beta version? That move would free up about 400 GB on my "Games" disk.
Please confirm!

Correct, you can delete.

More praise for ED and this update!

Quick question and apologies if I missed it.  Are the Multi threaded changes all merged in as of now, or do we still need to run the separate executable to get MT code?

1 hour ago, MrBill said:

More praise for ED and this update!

Quick question and apologies if I missed it.  Are the Multi threaded changes all merged in as of now, or do we still need to run the separate executable to get MT code?

MT is now the default version. Check in the main menu, at the bottom right corner, it should say multithreading 🕵️‍♂️