15.03.2024 - Spring Sale | La-7 Development Report | Esquadra 701 MP Server

• ED Team

header.png
15 March 2024

Dear Fighter Pilots, Partners and Friends, 

Get DCS Spring 2024 savings on both the DCS E-Shop and on the DCS Steam Edition! The sale has started, and it will run until the 24th of March at 15:00 GMT on our Shop and until the 21st of March on Steam at 18:00 GMT. Enjoy! 

Prepare to take to the skies and relive history with the upcoming DCS: La-7! Our partners, OctopusG, have been meticulously crafting this legendary World War II fighter aircraft, ensuring an authentic and immersive experience for all virtual warbird pilots. With its powerful engine, agile maneuverability, and formidable armament, the La-7 is poised to become a formidable addition to your virtual warbird hangar. Check out the Development Screenshots and stay tuned for further updates.

Attention A-10C, AV-8B, F-15E, F-16C and F/A-18C pilots! Strap into your cockpits for adrenaline-pumping multiplayer missions with like-minded, virtual aviators. The Portuguese Esquadra 701 has something for everyone, including events for new pilots called "Open Skies" on Discord.

Thank you for your passion and support.

Yours sincerely, 

Eagle Dynamics

Spring Sale Bonanza!

On the Shop and Steam

Hero1.png

Explore up to 50% discounts on most DCS modules, campaigns, and other DCS goodies. Don't miss out on this limited-time opportunity to pack your hangar with new aircraft and content. The Spring Sale will last until the 24th of March, 2024 at 15:00 GMT. 

Steam users, rejoice! We're also pleased to be taking part in the DCS Steam Spring Sale! Enjoy discounts on DCS content, whether you're a seasoned veteran or a rookie pilot, this is the time to find something new. The DCS Steam Edition Spring Sale will run until the 21st of March, 2024 at 18:00 GMT. 

Highlights of the Spring Sale

Modules with 50% discount

Fixed wing 

Helicopters

Terrains

Campaigns

Other 

Modules with 30% discount

Fixed wing 

Helicopters

Terrains
Campaigns

Modules with 25% discount

Fixed wing 
Campaigns

Modules with 20% discount

Terrains

Modules not on sale

Fixed wing 

Terrains
Campaigns

Lock in your savings, and take flight during our Spring Sale event. Hurry! The DCS Spring Sale 2024 will last until the 24th of March at 15:00 GMT.

La-7

Development Report

Hero2.png

The La-7 by OctopusG is making great progress. The development of the La-7 flight model is now complete, and the assembly and preparation of the necessary documentation for certification is in progress. Unique features have been implemented like the decrease in lifting force when the side cowl flaps are fully opened due to the deterioration of the aerodynamics of the wing root.

Hero3.png

The above graph demonstrates expected and actual La-7 performance in DCS. From this and other reports, OctopusG will be providing an excellent simulation of the flight performance and characteristics of this famous warbird.

An armament system has been completed and includes a bomb-aiming control system. 

Hero4.gif

Please enjoy this DCS: La-7 Bombing video and pay special attention to the mechanical details. In this second short video, the cockpit canopy locking system is demonstrated: La-7 Canopy mechanics. In this example, it is important to note that the effect of airflow is present. 

Hero5.gif

A wide collection of liveries are being prepared that will continue to expand. The damage model is complete, a quick manual has been written, and 2D for the GUI art has been created. The product is now being finalized for early access. Please stay tuned for the planned launch date. 

Esquadra 701

MP Server

Hero6.png

The Portuguese virtual squadron Esquadra 701 celebrated six years of operation this year with nearly 5000 hours in operations. This group established A-10C, AV-8B, F-15E, F-16C F/A-18C, and AH-64D training procedures based on real-life operations. It is divided into three divisions: the land-based 1st Division "Talons", the carrier-based 2nd Division "Makos", and the training and support 3rd Division "Pythons". The group also has a sub-division for helicopter and aerobatic team operations, the "Lusitanos".

Esquadra 701 runs a dedicated server for training and scheduled missions. They also have a very active Discord server that is open to all. The squadron regularly organises events to bring new pilots to the group, called "Open Skies" on Discord.

Thank you again for your passion and support, 

Yours sincerely,

footer.png 

• Like 13

Another week and no Phantom release news.😢

i9 9900k @5.1GHz NZXT Kraken |Asus ROG Strix Z390 E-Gaming | Samsung NVMe m.2 970 Evo 1TB | LPX 64GB DDR4 3200MHz

EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra | Reverb G1  | HOTAS Warthog | Saitek Flight Pedals

3 minutes ago, Hotdognz said:

Where does the LA7 sit with the battle zone ??, its a very cool plane but I dont fly DCS as a WW2 airshow sim, seems like an odd choice just like the i16 to expand WW2

that is no a problem about Octopus-G 3rd Party. If they has not a "AI unit" team to build propper East Front AI content of maps, only can be wait someone make them. ED by now, has no plans to make content about East Front. Other teams has unkonow.

22 hours ago, Silver_Dragon said:

that is no a problem about Octopus-G 3rd Party. If they has not a "AI unit" team to build propper East Front AI content of maps, only can be wait someone make them. ED by now, has no plans to make content about East Front. Other teams has unkonow.

And that's the problem for DCS, no Eastern Front content, 2 Easter Front planes with no context except flying them around as show ponies, as much as I love the LA7 its a pass for me at what will be a possible $69 USD purchase, I doubt DCS will ever have a Easter Front map of the AI units to go with it to flesh out a good WW2 scenario.

• Like 6

33 minutes ago, Hotdognz said:

And that's the problem for DCS, no Eastern Front content, 2 Easter Front planes with no context except flying them around as show ponies, as much as I love the LA7 its a pass for me at what will be a possible $69 USD purchase, I doubt DCS will ever have a Easter Front map of the AI units to go with it to flesh out a good WW2 scenario.

We have a F-86F Sabre and a Mig-15Bis without a Korea map for nearly 10 years?, and some Vietnam modules from years and on progress modules without a proper map, and we continue waiting for an official confirmation if ED or another 3rd party will be making some of them. Actually many 3rd parties have none centered on WW2, the main content has centered on "Modern / Cold War" eras. ED and a little quantity of 3rd parties only make content to ww2:

• ED has the main WW2 module builder and actually has centered on Pacific Theatre with F6F Hellcat and PTO AI units and Marianas Map, and Nick Grey has talked the next projects will centered on battle of britain content by the access to real aircraft to make them, and surely a "The channel 2.0 / expansion".
  • Magnitude 3 has centered on F4-U Corsair and PTO assets units, and some rumors about building an AM-6 zero module in the future (not confirmed yet) and surely more PTO WW2 AI units. The team has not a Map team, your old plan was to build a "Iwo Jima" Map, but never was confirmed.
  • Octopus-G has a small team to build the I-16 Type 24, La-7 and "claims” about a future So-2 module, they don't have an AI units team and / or map team, and by now, none has confirmed about them yet.
  • Ugra-Media has the same company which builds some maps to the east front to other simulator products, but they never confirmed any work on an east front or none about "export" of your previous release maps to DCS World. By now, we don't know what plans you have for your future maps, outside of Syria map and Normandy 2.0 (on update actually).
  • Other 3rd parties have not confirmed any content about WW2.

We need more 3rd parties centered on WW2, no change the actual plans by ED and / or 3rd parties.

Edited by Silver_Dragon
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Silver_Dragon said:

We was a F-86F and a Mig-15Bis without a Korea map from near 10 years?,

Yes and that is a huge problem.

Buying a 60-80 dollar soviet aircraft and hope that sometime before the heat death of the universe, We might get a eatern front map and a few eatern front ground units.

In the 10 years since the MiG15 and F86 was released nobody has even bothered making a single T34 tank. 

• Like 4

i7 13700k @5.2ghz, GTX 3090, 64Gig ram 4800mhz DDR5, M2 drive.

On 3/15/2024 at 4:39 PM, ATomCAT said:

No Phantom news 🥲

F4 Phantom delayed to „esrly spring“, latest May 24.

• Like 2

PC: Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming | AMD Ryzen 7800X3D | Palit GeForce RTX 4090 Game Rock OC | 64 GB Patriot VIPER VENOM DDR5-6000

Input: Brunner CLS-E FFB Base | Thrustmaster Warthog Joystick & Throttle | Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder | WinWing Phoenix MIP (VR) - F16 ICP - PTO2 | VPC SharKA-50 Collective 

VR: HP Reverb G2

Motion-Platform: Motionsystems PS-6TM-150 | Monstertech MTX

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/@madmontys6dofmotionplatfor386/featured

4 hours ago, Gunfreak said:

Yes and that is a huge problem.

Buying a 60-80 dollar soviet aircraft and hope that sometime before the heat death of the universe, We might get a eatern front map and a few eatern front ground units.

In the 10 years since the MiG15 and F86 was released nobody has even bothered making a single T34 tank. 

Its the reason I do not buy ED modules that have no use other than training or flying as war relic/museum piece, I do actually own the F86 but I purchased that as my group built a semi Vietnam mission with the Marianas map.

Im not even going near the PTO items until I see what ED does with it, a Corsair, F6F and AI Zero will not make a PTO war viable experience.

• Like 2

I’m always amazed at how so many users can fly DCS only as a reproduction of historic events, and need a historic map and historic AI units in order to fly and enjoy a new aircraft module.

On my case, I like DCS mostly to experience and learn to fly a given aircraft, I have no problem with a fictional scenario, say a La-7 flying on the Normandy map on 1944, Ijust imagine a coop program between the allies, where in exchange for some US units sent to the URSS, a squadron of La-7 gets to participate on the D-day. 

Limiting oneself to only historic re-enactments is … well, limiting 🙂

• Like 7

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

Has ED ever mentioned a WW2 version of the Caucasus map? Even a limited version of the northern area would allow a historical eastern front. 

5800x3drtx407064Gb 3200: 1Tb NVME: Pico 4: Rift S: Quest Pro

7 minutes ago, Qcumber said:

Has ED ever mentioned a WW2 version of the Caucasus map? Even a limited version of the northern area would allow a historical eastern front. 

Would it? With which aircraft would it be historical?

Answer: I-16. And only the I-16. And even then the sub-type is inappropriate.

The only way you get a historical match-up with the Luftwaffe types we have is to have only the La-7 and make a German-Polish border map set in 1945.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, DD_Fenrir said:

The only way you get a historical match-up with the Luftwaffe types we have is to have only the La-7 and make a German-Polish border map set in 1945.

True. I should have said "semi-historical". But at least it could be something. Could use a Spit MkIX to represent MkV lease lend to USSR? A P-39 would be a nice module as it would fit all WW2 fronts. 

5800x3drtx407064Gb 3200: 1Tb NVME: Pico 4: Rift S: Quest Pro

I don't care an iota about historical scenario relevance. Well, ok maybe not to that extent, I do care a bit that if possible an aircraft should fit with existing assets to form a cohesive scenario if possilbe, but it's mostly a nice to have for me.

DCS is first and foremost an aircraft sim up to the maximum degree, and I like it precisely for that. So bring me more great and interesting aircraft modeled very well, so I can experience their characteristics. If it has things I can put it up against that fit its performance level, great!

But it isn't end-all for me if the aircraft is interesting, and the module is well made. La-7 seems to tick both these boxes just fine.

• Like 1

Wishlist: F-4E Block 53 +, MiG-27K, Su-17M3 or M4, AH-1F or W circa 80s or early 90s, J35 Draken, Kfir C7, Mirage III/V

DCS-Dismounts Script

On 3/16/2024 at 10:26 PM, Hotdognz said:

Yep, this for me is a massive problem. I'm worried PTO is going to essentially be more of the same and that there will be very little in the way of fleshing it out. The 2024 and Beyond trailer having a WWII naval battlegroup entirely consisting of LSTs and APAs save for an aircraft carrier was already pretty concerning in and of itself.

On 3/16/2024 at 10:59 PM, Silver_Dragon said:

We have a F-86F Sabre and a Mig-15Bis without a Korea map for nearly 10 years?

Yes and this isn't a good thing. It makes me reluctant to use those aircraft when there's very little else for them. I don't see how I can construe having an era barely fleshed out as anything other than a bad thing.

On 3/16/2024 at 10:59 PM, Silver_Dragon said:

and some Vietnam modules from years and on progress modules without a proper map

Well, unless you don't pay attention to the variants that is, if you do then we really don't have many Vietnam aircraft at all, it's only the A-1H and F-8J that are (which so far don't have a carrier to operate from).

And Vietnam is probably the most highly requested map going.

On 3/17/2024 at 3:40 AM, Rudel_chw said:

I’m always amazed at how so many users can fly DCS only as a reproduction of historic events, and need a historic map and historic AI units in order to fly and enjoy a new aircraft module.

People have different interests and desires than you do, and you find that "amazing"? Certainly an interesting take, but whatever.

It also isn't true - having modules, assets and maps that are coherent with each other wouldn't prevent you from being able to make hypothetical or fictional scenarios, so even if I had that, I still wouldn't be playing DCS solely to reenact historical events.

I absolutely can enjoy an aircraft without a coherent theatre, assets and modules, but I'll always be limited to scenarios that are mostly fictional (and even when they aren't a hefty amount of fudging has to be employed, though mileage will of course vary) and I'll always be lacking what I'm really interested in doing and they'll always be the nagging mile-wide, inch-deep sensation that can be quite offputting and dare I say it, even disheartening in some circumstances. If you find that "amazing" then so be it.

On my case, I like DCS mostly to experience and learn to fly a given aircraft, I have no problem with a fictional scenario, say a La-7 flying on the Normandy map on 1944, Ijust imagine a coop program between the allies, where in exchange for some US units sent to the URSS, a squadron of La-7 gets to participate on the D-day.

And that's completely fine. I'm certainly not amazed by this, you can and should be free to make whatever scenario you like.

But then, because of the lack of an eastern front theatre, that's practically the only thing you can do, which I find fairly ironic given you're about to type this:

Limiting oneself to only historic re-enactments is … well, limiting 🙂

To which I say, how is being limited to purely fictional scenarios where even the aircraft's presence in the theatre at all (historical scenario or not) is itself fictional, any less limiting?

Surely if anything, I'd be less limited with a coherent set up, because not only can I still create fictional or hypothetical scenarios like I can now (only I'd be able to have a coherent set up as a bonus), but historical re-enactments too.

Edited by Northstar98
formulating sentences correctly
  • Like 4

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

11 minutes ago, Northstar98 said:

Yep, this for me is a massive problem. I'm worried PTO is going to essentially be more of the same and that'll they'll be very little in the way of fleshing it out. The 2024 and Beyond trailer having a WWII naval battlegroup entirely consisting of LSTs and APAs save for an aircraft carrier was already pretty concerning in and of itself.

The 2024 and beyond video was build with the complete assets builded by ED and M3 availables on that time (2023)....

ED: AI Zero and Carrier Enterprise and Mogani (CVL?), but ED dont show or talk about a detailed list of your PTO assets on progress to WW2 Assets pack & F6F. About the "missing" of Destroyers, Cruisers and BBs on the 202X videos, has only a matter of time. Build propper ships assets take many tyme as RAZBAM has talked with your SA Assets Pack. And of course Marianas WW2 map.

M3: Show the IJN/IJA ground units with the Yorktown (CV-10) "Long-hull" Essex carrier has appears on the M3 Newsletters about the F4U with the carrier, aprox 9 units + unkonow aircrafts on progress.

4 hours ago, Qcumber said:

ED has none confirmed about maps or convert caucasus to WW2. On Fact, Chizh on the russian forum has confirmed by now, no plans to the WW2 East Front, but will build Soviet equipment on a future.

8 hours ago, Hotdognz said:

Its the reason I do not buy ED modules that have no use other than training or flying as war relic/museum piece, I do actually own the F86 but I purchased that as my group built a semi Vietnam mission with the Marianas map.

Im not even going near the PTO items until I see what ED does with it, a Corsair, F6F and AI Zero will not make a PTO war viable experience.

PTO units on progres by ED and M3, has not only 1 Ai units, has more to coming as the show naval and land assets.

3 hours ago, DD_Fenrir said:

3rd Parties build modules by the info available, no a expecific time period to match with the planneset.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Silver_Dragon said:

We have a F-86F Sabre and a Mig-15Bis without a Korea map for nearly 10 years?, and some Vietnam modules from years and on progress modules without a proper map, and we continue waiting for an official confirmation if ED or another 3rd party will be making some of them. Actually many 3rd parties have none centered on WW2, the main content has centered on "Modern / Cold War" eras. ED and a little quantity of 3rd parties only make content to ww2:

Technology limits are blocking vietnam.
Korea has it's own issues,
Modern / Coldwar Satellite Maps are easier to get.

Maps from the 80s and before are horrible image quality if even in color.

• Like 1

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

As I said I will wait for ED to release its PTO items to come out and see what's included, but we could be easily 5-10 years away for a fully fleshed out PTO asset pack based on how long it takes to get stuff from concept to release, even the WW2 Asset pack in its current form is very lacking for the Normandy map we have but it at least can help makeWW2 in that area work to some degree.

But at least the PTO has something coming for it that will suite the 2 planes (both allied), the LA7 will have nothing for it as EF assets for a long time.

For casual flying and using planes as a flying experience I use something different for that.

• Like 2

On 3/17/2024 at 12:04 AM, Gunfreak said:

General answer to this and all other questions about long time to make a product in our games/simulators world is that people are unreliable and lazy including myself, we easily burn out working long hours on the same project. I have seen it here of the forum on many occasions as well with my friends who were working in game industry or even other professions. No updates/progress reports on given plane because "soup was too salty" "dev got sick" "we lost a programmer" "im on vacation" "engine in our p-40 have strange vibrations lol"

The solution to all this is AI who will make 3d model of a plane calculate flight model and everything else, faster and cheaper.

• Like 1

• ED Team
On 3/16/2024 at 8:21 PM, Hotdognz said:

To be fair, the A-10C was flying over the Caucasus for many years, I am not sure it has ever flown over there in real life, let alone during combat, right?

So while we want to fill in the gaps in terrain and other aircraft we are not a cookie-cutter type of developer with our focus being on the simulation of the aircraft and its systems. Everything we do takes time I have not seen a module yet that someone could not have fun with in some manner or another. One day we will have Vietnam or Korea, or other Cold War/Combat Theaters but things do take time.

The La-7 will be a blast, we have Luftwaffe aircraft to put up against it, if you put the I-16 in a good position against even the Bf 109 you can win, and finding that out is one of the cool things about DCS, no matter what the name of the terrain is you are over doing it. 

• Like 6

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png