Multiple coalitions

Northstar98

Hi everyone,

Whilst making a huge training mission for literally everything I can think of, I stumbled across a hurdle - because there are only really 2 choices of coalition (Red or Blue) but the main training 'country' if you will, are the USAF Aggressor Squadron, it's not possible (AFAIK) to set-up scenarios where both BLUFOR and REDFOR can attack a common target (and each other) in the same mission. Essentially, I wanted a mission where both sides could conduct weapons training without necessarily attacking each other (like a provocation) but do so simultaneously on both sides in the same mission.

The problem is you can't set up missions with multiple belligerents, nor can we have independents/neutral parties, nor can we have opposing belligerents attack a common target as well as each other. EDIT: Right now we do have a neutral coalition, but it is simply the collection of countries that are unassigned, and it's not possible to set any kind of allegiance up or what their posture should be relative to other coalitions.

Spoiler

As far as training is concerned, what we should have is static target units that are of the same country, but with a checkbox or something that designates it as a training target, so it is classed as hostile without being from a different country. For airborne stuff, it would be great if we could get some target drones such as the BQM-74 and MQM-107 and then again have the option to designate as a target.

What would be great is if there was a third coalition (rather than just BLUFOR, REDFOR or not present) which can then be used as: A.) a common target for BLUFOR and REDFOR B.) A neutral coalition, e.g for civilians/neutral nations or C.) A dynamic coalition who's allegiance can change during mission progression (perhaps using triggers).

A better solution is to have the ability to to add, edit and remove coalitions, which should be made possible to do on the fly, throughout the mission editing process. like how it should be possible to add/remove countries as desired throughout the mission creating process (this, not just at the start where everything is set in stone and completely immutable (this can be a royal pain, you set up how you want your countries, you get into mission building, decide that actually I want to include xxxx or remove yyyy but you can't make any alterations without starting all over again - probably fine if you notice straight away, but later on it's really annoying). EDIT: This has been implemented.

There should be the ability to set allegiances for each coalition - what other coalitions xxxx is friendly/hostile/neutral to. Obviously REDFOR and BLUFOR should be hostile to each other, but for any other it should be possible to change who they're friendly/hostile/neutral to. (Side thought - it might also be useful to have the ROE set coalition wide as an initial/default state for each unit in that coalition (rather than having to change it for each group), but still retaining the ability to set it individually if desired).

While on the subject of allegiances, it would be really great if these allegiances could not just be altered but dynamically so as a mission/campaign progresses. For instance the coalition "GREENFOR" if you like, is allied with BLUFOR, an action happens activating a trigger which changes their allegiance to another coalition or sets it to become hostile/friendly/neutral to another etc. Taking it further and it could also be used to add/remove certain countries from coalitions during the progress of a mission (say a particular country is neutral, but then they're attacked, changing the allegiance of that country). This would allow for far more complicated ROEs as well as setting up more complex and dynamic missions.

You could use this system to recreate conflicts whereby 2 coalitions are fighting a common enemy but are still hostile to each other. It would certainly work better with insurgents and would allow for independent coalitions.

All in all it makes the whole business of coalitions much more flexible - adding weight to DCS as a true sandbox simulator.

It's just an idea, but in my opinion at least, it would add a whole new level to missions and campaigns.

EDIT: see here for a proper example.

Edited by Northstar98
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Up!

In the same direction, they will be welcomed if we could have a trigger to add/remove countries to a coalition AND one easy way to change coalitions once started the edition of a mission.

Thanks

• Like 1

I'm all for it, we can have multiple combats or team coalition matches like in Falcon BMS

Exactly, and a lot more where that came from :)

• Like 1

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

This is a good idea +1

• Like 1

i7 3930k @ 4.7GHz | GTX 980 Ti | 16GB G.Skill 2133 Quad Channel | Samsung 850 EVO SSD | Win7 ProX64 | CH Fighterstick | CH Pro Pedals | CH Throttle | BenQ XL2730Z 1440p

+1

Would be nice, if this 3rd coalition could be also "civilian". I know, we only have a few civilian aircraft in the sim, but for intercept exercises and thoose DCS modules which make use of IFF, it would be a great addition to the realism.

• Like 1

Hardware: Intel i5 4670K | Zalman NPS9900MAX | GeIL 16GB @1333MHz | Asrock Z97 Pro4 | Sapphire Radeon R9 380X Nitro | Samsung SSDs 840 series 120GB & 250 GB | Samsung HD204UI 2TB | be quiet! Pure Power 530W | Aerocool RS-9 Devil Red | Samsung SyncMaster SA350 24" + ASUS VE198S 19" | Saitek X52 | TrackIR 5 | Thrustmaster MFD Cougar | Speedlink Darksky LED | Razor Diamondback | Razor X-Mat Control | SoundBlaster Tactic 3D Rage ### Software: Windows 10 Pro 64Bit

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

+1

Would be nice, if this 3rd coalition could be also "civilian". I know, we only have a few civilian aircraft in the sim, but for intercept exercises and thoose DCS modules which make use of IFF, it would be a great addition to the realism.

Certainly - what I meant by 3rd Coalition is multiple coalitions. Plus the ability to add, remove and rename coalitions at will and the ability to set up trigger zones to alter said coalitions, allegiances, countries within said coalition etc. And yes, civilians should also be accounted for, so that strictly non-military unit placement is possible (this way missions can have collateral damage, or civilian land, sea and air traffic can be created and customized by mission editors).

• Like 2

System:

Certainly - what I meant by 3rd Coalition is multiple coalitions.

Yep, that's what I want too/ understood.

• Like 1

Hardware: Intel i5 4670K | Zalman NPS9900MAX | GeIL 16GB @1333MHz | Asrock Z97 Pro4 | Sapphire Radeon R9 380X Nitro | Samsung SSDs 840 series 120GB & 250 GB | Samsung HD204UI 2TB | be quiet! Pure Power 530W | Aerocool RS-9 Devil Red | Samsung SyncMaster SA350 24" + ASUS VE198S 19" | Saitek X52 | TrackIR 5 | Thrustmaster MFD Cougar | Speedlink Darksky LED | Razor Diamondback | Razor X-Mat Control | SoundBlaster Tactic 3D Rage ### Software: Windows 10 Pro 64Bit

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

+1

for a third coalition that can be set as neutral (how about civilian flights, heh?)

Certainly! Though I'm more for adding coalitions as the mission editor desires, that way we're less restricted i.e a coalition devoted to civillians, a coalition devoted for target practice (USAF aggressors I'm thinking here) a coalition for insurgents etc. And just have the coalitions renamed and have options set for instance.

• Like 1

System:

• 4 weeks later...

+1

Very much needed indeed!

• Like 1

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

• 1 year later...
+1

+1

• Like 1

Yes please! This would allow for more ambiguous situations with the IFF and ID... not every "hostile" dot on your radar is actually hostile.

If done fully, you could even do it so one country is friendly and then as the mission progresses becomes hostile - making things even more dynamic.

• Like 1

System:

+1

Would love to see a "green force"

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD