DCS World Patch Notes Discussion Thread

BIGNEWY

3 minutes ago, Hoirtel said:

The biggest and fastest you can afford.

Have you seen my sig?

• Like 1

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

6 minutes ago, imacken said:

What hardware upgrade would people suggest to make Marianas usable for me in VR?

You don't need one. You have just put some imaginary requirements for yourself like ex. 60fps and MSAAx4 on High settings.

@Hoirtel https://forums.eagle.ru/settings/signature/

Edited by draconus
  • Thanks 1

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

It was a rhetorical question really. My point is that given my hardware, the map - obviously still vey much in EA - is pretty much unusable in VR, and all the advice about upgrading becomes pointless. Where do I go from a 3090?

• Like 3

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

1 hour ago, imacken said:

It was a rhetorical question really. My point is that given my hardware, the map - obviously still vey much in EA - is pretty much unusable in VR, and all the advice about upgrading becomes pointless. Where do I go from a 3090?

I think there are two questions here:

Should a new map run with high settings on a mid range graphics card?

Should a new map run with any settings well on a top end graphics card in VR?

I believe the recent posts have been to the former question, we might expect the boundaries to be pushed so the latest and greatest hardware can be used to the full, yet lesser hardware can also be used albeit with reduced settings.

The latter is an example of early access work in progress. If the very top hardware can't run it at acceptable rates then it needs to be addressed. Of course that could mean the user parking combinations of content, or mission types whilst the development progresses, safe in the knowledge there is other content you can use. Given the free aspect of the new map it doesn't really hurt the customer having to wait. The feedback that the new map doesn't really work acceptably in VR on a 3090 should be more than enough to highlight the need to address the map going forward. Be that optimisation, reducing detail or even waiting for Vulkan.

• Like 4

AMD 5800X3D · MSI 4080 · Asus ROG Strix B550 Gaming  · HP Reverb Pro · 1Tb M.2 NVMe, 32Gb Corsair Vengence 3600MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · VIRPIL T-50CM3 Base, Alpha Prime R. VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Base. JetSeat

1 minute ago, Baldrick33 said:

I believe the recent posts have been to the former question, we might expect the boundaries to be pushed so the latest and greatest hardware can be used to the full, yet lesser hardware can also be used albeit with reduced settings.

The latter is an example of early access work in progress. If the very top hardware can't run it at acceptable rates then it needs to be addressed. Of course that could mean the user parking combinations of content, or mission types whilst the development progresses, safe in the knowledge there is other content you can use. Given the free aspect of the new map it doesn't really hurt the customer having to wait. The feedback that the new map doesn't really work acceptably in VR on a 3090 should be more than enough to highlight the need to address the map going forward. Be that optimisation, reducing detail or even waiting for Vulkan.

Well said and I agree.

I don't envy ED making sense of what can be classed as running well given that there are so many variables with how these products are used on any hardware. So this is why we must have the early access periods. We haven't even seen the next OB update since this came out. I personally find the new map playable in VR. I'm currently using a low-populated, SP causal fly around. Yes there are fps sinks, but I was expecting way worse. Channel map was much worse for me at release and it improved. I expect Marianas to be the same.

17 hours ago, Yurgon said:

I'm pretty sure ED said they'll implement the burble effect as well, so I'm sure it'll come for the Hornet.

No idea about the cat shot triggered by external lights. I like the idea, it seems to make sense. Except... I hardly know anyone even remotely sticking to something called a procedure on the Supercarrier, so I'm not sure ED is looking forward to all the "HELP my Hornet just catapulted off the deck before I was ready!!!!!" requests that I'm sure would follow such a change... 😉

Burble effects has on progress. ED has making your bubble effect and that was planned as a funtionality Supercarrier after EA.
https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/products/other/supercarrier/

During the early access period, the following additional features will be added:

Air Boss station.
Briefing room.
Occupy the Landing Signal Officer (LSO) station with PLAT camera, including VR support.
More LSO station interactions.
Combined Arms integration.
"Burble" effect.
Wave off and bolter return to pattern radio messages.
Functional barricade net.

HB has make a exclusive effect to the F-14, the ED effects has to all aircrafts.

Edited by Silver_Dragon

2 hours ago, imacken said:

Honestly for me the map runs the same as Channel or Syria, in VR (G2, 3080) - it means fine, 45fps. You probably need to adjust your settings, or wait a bit for ED to optimize it - which is something they said they would do. With SS 100%, high settings and no MSAA, it runs just fine here.

Edited by Qiou87
  • Like 2

AMD R7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3200MHz | RTX 4080S 16GB | Varjo Aero | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk3 + STECS + pedals

50 minutes ago, Baldrick33 said:

The only observation I have with this - when and what model family become the "top end graphics" card that you are optimizing for?

GPU companies model lifetimes are shrinking. What is "top end" this quarter, could be eclipsed in 6 months. Where do you set the standard, because at this point, it is a moving goal post with lifetimes measured in months, not even a solid year anymore.

Pointy end hurt! Fire burn!!
JTF-191 25th Draggins - Hawg Main. Black Shark 2, A10C, A10CII, F-16, F/A-18, F-86, Mig-15, Mig-19, Mig-21, P-51, F-15, Su-27, Su-33, Mig-29, FW-190 Dora, Anton, BF 109, Mossie, Normandy, Caucasus, NTTR, Persian Gulf, Channel, Syria, Marianas, WWII Assets, CA. (WWII backer picked aircraft ME-262, P-47D).

...and don't underestimate the benefits of other aspects - besides the graphics card.

E.g. 32 GB of RAM is certainly enough for most usecases, but that doesn't mean that more can't be beneficial.

My observation is that DCS uses (slightly) more than 32 GB when it's available. If this has effects on frametimes  -> I don't know.

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

• ED Team
19 hours ago, majorandme said:

Will this be updated for Hornet as well?

Yes burble effect will be added for the hornet. 

thanks

Strange as I am flying in VR and getting 45 FPS in Marianas with a 2080Ti. 

As mentioned you will need to adjust your DCS settings for the terrain if you want to get higher performance, and I would suggest being patient while optimisation work is ongoing

Thanks

• Thanks 3

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

3 hours ago, imacken said:

I agree with the principle of what is being said here. 
What hardware upgrade would people suggest to make Marianas usable for me in VR? Just curious. 

I think the only thing (given the limitations of the current DCS engine) is going to be Alder lake when it's released, other than that you're already at the top end spec wise, not really anywhere to go at the minute unfortunately 🙂

12900KF | Maximus Hero Z690 | ASUS 4090 TUF OC | 64GB DDR5 5200 | DCS on 2TB NVMe | WarBRD+Warthog Stick | CM3 | TM TPR's | Varjo Aero

• ED Team
3 minutes ago, speed-of-heat said:

thanks @BIGNEWY, are you still on your standard settings? 

I switch depending on what I am doing, for MP I use my high FPS settings, single player I do increase the settings 

• Like 1

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

37 minutes ago, BIGNEWY said:

Is this not something that can be done systematically to affect all air around all ships, where applicable, rather than added piecemeal to each individual module?

This is probably not the place for it, but it would be really interesting to get a video or news post or something that takes a design and coding deep dive into how this is done and why it is done this way.

• Like 2

❧ ❧ Inside you are two wolves. One cannot land; the other shoots friendlies. You are a Goon. ❧ ❧

1 hour ago, BIGNEWY said:

Maybe I'm getting old or aeronautical advances have left me behind from when I was working on aircraft I dunno, but what is the burble effect?

System :-

i7-12700K 3.6 GHz 12 core, ASUS ROG Strix Z690-A Gaming, 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200MHz, 24GB Asus ROG Strix Geforce RTX 3090, 1x 500GB Samsung 980 PRO M.2, 1x 2TB Samsung 980 PRO M.2, Corsair 1000W RMx Series Modular 80 Plus Gold PSU, Windows 10. VIRPIL VPC WarBRD Base with HOTAS Warthog Stick and Warthog Throttle, VIRPIL ACE Interceptor Pedals, VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus Base with a Hawk-60 Grip, HP Reverb G2.

3 minutes ago, bart said:

Maybe I'm getting old or aeronautical advances have left me behind from when I was working on aircraft I dunno, but what is the burble effect?

the patch of disturbed air just behind the approach of an aircraft carrier  caused by the carrier a527798.pdf (dtic.mil)

• Thanks 2

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

YOUTUBE CHANNEL: @speed-of-heat

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

11 minutes ago, speed-of-heat said:

the patch of disturbed air just behind the approach of an aircraft carrier  caused by the carrier a527798.pdf (dtic.mil)

Ahh, wake turbulence from the ship. Makes sense now, thanks.

I never came across this term as I was RAF not RN. Closest I got to the Navy was working on their Sea Harriers at St Athan, but I guess the Harrier didn't have this burble issue either approaching the ship from the side as it did rather than shooting a conventional arrested landing!.

Anyway, thanks for the clarification.

Edited by bart
  • Like 4

System :-

i7-12700K 3.6 GHz 12 core, ASUS ROG Strix Z690-A Gaming, 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200MHz, 24GB Asus ROG Strix Geforce RTX 3090, 1x 500GB Samsung 980 PRO M.2, 1x 2TB Samsung 980 PRO M.2, Corsair 1000W RMx Series Modular 80 Plus Gold PSU, Windows 10. VIRPIL VPC WarBRD Base with HOTAS Warthog Stick and Warthog Throttle, VIRPIL ACE Interceptor Pedals, VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus Base with a Hawk-60 Grip, HP Reverb G2.

On 7/15/2021 at 3:10 AM, Shibbyland said:

I can't afford VR, let alone the system required to run it. It must be pretty good although I really hope as the years go on and VR userbase grows, those of us who still need 2D don't get forgotten.

What's your system specs? I've been flying DCS in VR with a Rift CV1, PD 1.5 on a 3570k and a 1080 non-ti with med-high settings just fine, at least offline. MP was a different ballpark due to most servers running lots of great scripts that eat the few CPU cycles that old thing had, making the fps drop hard. Should even be doable with a 1060 / 1660 6G. If you've got something like that or better, you could try getting a used Rift CV1 or OG VIVE, should be fine. Rift S might also work.

On 7/15/2021 at 8:36 AM, Nealius said:

Even if "only" 1/3 of users are on VR, VR is the future of flight sims and gaming as a whole. No reason we should even be worried over how many people use VR versus how many don't. It's a pointless survey.

Agreed. VR makes you be there and especially in simming, it's having a good user base already. 1/3 is quite a lot actually. And never forget: If it runs well enough in VR, you don't even have to spend a second thinking whether it would run on Pancake. It simply does, and it does it very well since many optimizations will impact Pancake as well, except for things like Single Pass Stereo that are specific to VR.

Edit: And I've seen quite some improvements on my end during the last 2 years, even though it all went through ups and downs. As for the new map - it is new. And even when having moved over to Stable already, it's still new and uses the most recent technology for terrains that ED has up their sleeves. There's lots of room for improvements though optimizations still, it just takes time. I wouldn't judge anything here yet. If I'll experience noticably lower performance compared to other maps, I'll just stick to the others and have a glance at the new one every now and then until I can run it decently, just like I did with Normandy and Syria. We'll be getting there and our feedback helps ED and their 3rd parties to improve things.

Edited by Eldur

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

2 hours ago, Eldur said:

What's your system specs? I've been flying DCS in VR with a Rift CV1, PD 1.5 on a 3570k and a 1080 non-ti with med-high settings just fine, at least offline. MP was a different ballpark due to most servers running lots of great scripts that eat the few CPU cycles that old thing had, making the fps drop hard. Should even be doable with a 1060 / 1660 6G. If you've got something like that or better, you could try getting a used Rift CV1 or OG VIVE, should be fine. Rift S might also work.

Agreed. VR makes you be there and especially in simming, it's having a good user base already. 1/3 is quite a lot actually. And never forget: If it runs well enough in VR, you don't even have to spend a second thinking whether it would run on Pancake. It simply does, and it does it very well since many optimizations will impact Pancake as well, except for things like Single Pass Stereo that are specific to VR.

Edit: And I've seen quite some improvements on my end during the last 2 years, even though it all went through ups and downs. As for the new map - it is new. And even when having moved over to Stable already, it's still new and uses the most recent technology for terrains that ED has up their sleeves. There's lots of room for improvements though optimizations still, it just takes time. I wouldn't judge anything here yet. If I'll experience noticably lower performance compared to other maps, I'll just stick to the others and have a glance at the new one every now and then until I can run it decently, just like I did with Normandy and Syria. We'll be getting there and our feedback helps ED and their 3rd parties to improve things.

Yeah the old oculus headsets are a great first choice for new VR users and work on older hardware very well. It's just most people spin the whole "resolution is not there yet" line - proof to me they have never tried it.... Lol. Pancake mode. Makes me chuckle every time. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Hoirtel said:

Yeah the old oculus headsets are a great first choice for new VR users and work on older hardware very well. It's just most people spin the whole "resolution is not there yet" line - proof to me they have never tried it.... Lol. Pancake mode. Makes me chuckle every time. 

The first time I saw DCS in the QUEST 2 I was hooked and can never go back. The more comfortable I get, the more flaws I find, and I still marvel at the 4K graphics in Youtube vids, but EVERY SINGLE TIME I am awed by VR. Looking back at the WireFrames of Sublogic JET, the CGA graphics of the original FALCON and up through the graphics technology tree and TrackIR innovations, I always had the willing suspension of disbelief and thought I was THERE.  When I put on the headset... I REALLY AM THERE. I hope I live for the NEXT innovation that will make current VR seem like Sublogic Wireframes!

P.S. Sorry we hijacked the Patch Notes thread!

11 minutes ago, Gryzor said:

New water effects and cloud shadowing seen in the latest videos maybe in today´s planned patch?

Somehow I missed those -

can you point me to a video and timestamp? And what am I supposed to see?

Thank you!

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"