DCS World Patch Notes Discussion Thread

BIGNEWY

A sun glint effect would be nice. Where rather than a steady dot, it modulates depending on angle of plane to sun. Something to substitute for the light bloom effect at extreme distances.

yes, i simualted sth. like this in blender some time ago. i made a shader for a pixel sized object that would change the value of the pixel from opaque to white depending on the objects angle to the sun and the camera. extremely easy computationaly - would probably run on an old calcualtor in real-time. the effect was quite good though with the pixel strobing when turning heavily and just slowly changing visibility when maneuvering normaly.

it looks realistic, but also helps with spotting since it's easier to pick up strobing pixels than constant ones at same brightness levels.

again, computationally extremely lightweight, only "issue" is that the viewing player would need to know if the other aircraft is in shadow or not (terrains hadow or cloud shadow). that should be doable though...

• Like 1

... at the moment we are discussing it with the team.

thank you

Hallelujah!

Please, can you take my feedback in the post above into the discussion?! It's really easy to replicate in Blender or 3dsmax etc. and will surely also work in-engine.

Also please can you also discuss how ext lights should affect visibility between dusk and dawn?

Thanks.

It is mean of the development branch of the software product that is suppose to be broken here and then for the testers. The untested code gets pushed to Open Beta so that bugs can be found for new features, new fixes, new methods and ideas, and when code changes are tested and found working, then the code is pushed to the production environment product, the Stable Branch. And that is where people should be who can't withstand things getting broken.

Yeah Fri, If you take it out of context It sounds like that, but I am Talking specifically about the Phoenix API you know the missiles that ONLY the Tomcat carries? and no ED module uses at ALL?

So go figure: That´s what I mean by "out of the way"...

And I apreciarte your condescending tone, since that is usually the answer I give when things "get broken": Use the Stable version... Yeah...

BUT the THING is:

I am not asking to explain why they brake things "in general", but WHAT did the Phoenix API had to do with ANYTHING they were working ON...

Leaving a PRIME module BANNED from servers for over 2 weeks... OH and delaying a Prime Releas of the A version...

Have a a peachy day :)

Yes we have had some feedback for it, and some against, at the moment we are discussing it with the team.

thank you

Grate News Bignewy.

I for one, really like the new visibility of "flying objects". Hope they can come to a compromise that keeps the hi visibility effect.

• Like 1

Grate News Bignewy.

I for one, really like the new visibility of "flying objects". Hope they can come to a compromise that keeps the hi visibility effect.

Usually I would cheer for improvements in spotting other planes and ground targets, as DCS has always been painfully bad in that area, but after having seen the white dots live in MP now I feel that's nonsense. I was able to see other aircraft 15-20 nm out... not realistic at all. Especially bad for helicopters who depend on hiding down low.

You should be able to easily see a fighter-sized target 2-5nm out though, if he isn't hiding in the weeds. Come on ED, is it really that hard? Other flightsim developers can do it, you can do it too.

• Like 1

The white dots should depend on distance and sun angle/illumination, as well as the angle between the camera, unit and sun. It's not normal to see a steady sun glint from 20 NM away. At the very least, it should be an occasional thing that you'll only notice if you're lucky or are really paying attention to that area. And the type of unit should be taken into account. I could see infantry at 15 NM away, a bunch of white dots in the middle of the deserts. Infantry doesn't reflect sunlight like that.

• Like 4

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

1490373036_1280px-Japanese_aircraft_carrier_Zuikaku_and_two_destroyers_under_attack_on_20_June_1944_2880-G-23802529.thumb.jpg.a98d6f905996f0f7ef546a06e032ccee.jpg

speaking of spotting, shouldn't ships have long white wakes?

u-s-navy-battleships-navy-sky-thumbnail.jpg

I'm reminded of "The Right Stuff". Astronaut recalls how every electric system failed and he thought he was a goner. But in the darkness a long trail of gleaming plankton from the Carriers wake became visible leading him home in darkness of the night.

Ships should have wakes. Maybe they also could help with lineup beyond distant spotting.

2123840097_1280px-Japanese_aircraft_carrier_Zuikaku_and_two_destroyers_under_attack_on_20_June_1944_2880-G-23802529.thumb.jpg.2427ed80be90288382c3e835cd808546.jpg

... was Apollo 13. It was either "The Right Stuff" or Apollo 13, guessed wrong.

Intel Core i7 3630QM @ 2.40GHz (Max Turbo Frequency 3.40 GHz) | 16.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 798MHz | 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 635M | 447GB KINGSTON SA400S37480G (SATA-2 (SSD))

Especially bad for helicopters who depend on hiding down low.

... in their phosphorous white brownout that can be seen from what feels like almost a hundred of miles away like a christmas tree? badumtss.png

I mean, there's nothing, literally nothing in DCS that is more visible than a low flying or even just hovering helo...

• Like 1

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

The white dots should depend on distance and sun angle/illumination, as well as the angle between the camera, unit and sun. It's not normal to see a steady sun glint from 20 NM away. At the very least, it should be an occasional thing that you'll only notice if you're lucky or are really paying attention to that area. And the type of unit should be taken into account. I could see infantry at 15 NM away, a bunch of white dots in the middle of the deserts. Infantry doesn't reflect sunlight like that.

Yeah, shouldn't it be a transient flash at most? Unless you park yourself right in the direction of the reflection.

• Like 1

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

Yeah, shouldn't it be a transient flash at most? Unless you park yourself right in the direction of the reflection.

I think that can also be easily modeled with the solution i mentioned above ( https://forums.eagle.ru/forum/english/digital-combat-simulator/dcs-world-2-5/268307-dcs-world-patch-notes-discussion-thread/page131#post7137613 )

Of course you would need to set different parameters for ground vehicles, but i think it would still work well.

I think that can also be easily modeled with the solution i mentioned above ( https://forums.eagle.ru/forum/englis...31#post7137613 )

Of course you would need to set different parameters for ground vehicles, but i think it would still work well.

Sounds like a good idea! :thumbup:

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

...but I am Talking specifically about the Phoenix API you know the missiles that ONLY the Tomcat carries? and no ED module uses at ALL?

Beside the AI F-14A from ED?

More important by design an API "interfaces" with other parts of a software environment. So changes to the way data coming from said API (e. g. airpressure/temperature, wind, object position and vector related stuff) might require adaption on both sides...?

• Like 1

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

Beside the AI F-14A from ED?

More important by design an API "interfaces" with other parts of a software environment. So changes to the way data coming from said API (e. g. airpressure/temperature, wind, object position and vector related stuff) might require adaption on both sides...?

ok see this sounds reasonable... But, all those parameters have nothing to do with RWR signature or tracking for teh missile. unless EDs phoenix misile api is interlinked with the AIM 120 one... then it would make sense....

I've read some time ago, the new fire and smoke effects would be global. There was one Flanker screenshot in newsletter but I haven't seen anymore info since. Can anyone confirm those effects will be activated for modern jets and helos as well in the next OB update?

Thanks.

I am Talking specifically about the Phoenix API you know the missiles that ONLY the Tomcat carries? and no ED module uses at ALL?

One way to look at this is that since missiles affect both the shooter and the target, it's not an issue that can begin and end with the 3rd party developer only. Missile behavior in DCS needs to be consistent across the board, as in all missiles should be under the same rules and limitations. It's not an issue of game balance, it's an issue of internal consistency and I personally am OK with that. And we can only hope that if a 3rd party dev programs their missile better, ED takes notes and raises the level of all relevant missiles instead of the other way around.

Now, as for the recent issue with the seeker, I guess mistakes that shouldn't find their way into a public release can still happen. I expect it'll get fixed this week.

• Like 1

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

One way to look at this is that since missiles affect both the shooter and the target, it's not an issue that can begin and end with the 3rd party developer only. Missile behavior in DCS needs to be consistent across the board, as in all missiles should be under the same rules and limitations. It's not an issue of game balance, it's an issue of internal consistency and I personally am OK with that. And we can only hope that if a 3rd party dev programs their missile better, ED takes notes and raises the level of all relevant missiles instead of the other way around.

Now, as for the recent issue with the seeker, I guess mistakes that shouldn't find their way into a public release can still happen. I expect it'll get fixed this week.

Absolutely agreed! :thumbup:

System:

Windows 11 Home ¦ Z790 AORUS Elite AX motherboard ¦ i7-13700K ¦ 64GB Corsair Vengeance DDR5 memory @ 5600MHz ¦ Samsung 990 Pro 1TB SSD for OS, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB SSD for DCS ¦ MSI GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio 24GB ¦ Virpil WarBRD base with VFX grip, Thrustmaster A10c and F/A-18 grips ¦ VKB Gunfighter Mk4 and MCG Pro ¦ Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle ¦ VKB STECS Throttle ¦ Virpil TCS rotor base with Shark and AH-64D  grips ¦ MFG Crosswinds ¦ Total Controls Multi-Function Button Box ¦ Pimax Crystal

Patch notes go up before the download goes live - could be a few hours before you can download

Windows 11 Home ¦ Z790 AORUS Elite AX motherboard ¦ i7-13700K ¦ 64GB Corsair Vengeance DDR5 memory @ 5600MHz ¦ Samsung 990 Pro 1TB SSD for OS, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB SSD for DCS ¦ MSI GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio 24GB ¦ Virpil WarBRD base with VFX grip, Thrustmaster A10c and F/A-18 grips ¦ VKB Gunfighter Mk4 and MCG Pro ¦ Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle ¦ VKB STECS Throttle ¦ Virpil TCS rotor base with Shark and AH-64D  grips ¦ MFG Crosswinds ¦ Total Controls Multi-Function Button Box ¦ Pimax Crystal