DCS Update discussion February 2024

BIGNEWY

8 hours ago, AKULA_OPTIMUS said:

MT is now the default version. Check in the main menu, at the bottom right corner, it should say multithreading 🕵️‍♂️

MT is the default, but both are still available, so definitely check that it's showing multithread on the splash screen.  If you're using Steam it seems people still need to jump through a few hoops (or at least do things a particular way which may not be the obvious way)  to get MT.  Don't use Steam personally so I can't really give more details on that.

On 2/24/2024 at 4:11 AM, wilbur81 said:

There's actually been a fairly significant reduction in the Hornet's instantaneous and (especially noticeable) sustained turn rates. Before the update, if you kept your speed up between 350 an 400 kts, you could maintain a good rate (19-20ish deg. per sec.) without too much bleed. Now? Well, just try it yourself. You cannot maintain airspeed if you initiate a turn at or below 400kts (any altitude) without major bleed down...and I'm talking no stores, in full AB, a 55-60% back-stick deflection and roughly only 65-70% of max allowable G. I will post tracks at some point. Not saying this is wrong necessarily... but the new FM is hardly 'over-powered.' 

Now the new low speed AoA, on the other hand, is quite nice. 🙂

Just did a test run at different altitudes, clean config. No pylons. You might wanna re-try your flight test. Below 5000ft over Marianas in good weather it not only sustains airspeed at 7.5g starting at 400kts but accelerates. I even pressed the paddle while on A/B and it hits 9g until GLOC.  At 19000ft there's a different story and it bleeds fast on MIL and A/B but it's noticeable better in level turns for me. All in all it's not a big difference but on a clean jet it holds energy much better IMO. Not very realistic for me to fly a clean jet though. I'm always loaded to the gills. LOL 

I don't know what update you got but for me the Hornet is in beast mode now. Several people already posted on YT about it already. I'm not complaining though. I love that jet. 

Edited by Braunn

After two or three days of testing I came back to the FPS and the sharpness of the image which has become pleasant to pilot.
Personally without having to change any settings the FPS increased by 10/15 (fps) on all cards
the flight is smoother and I no longer have stuttering, no more ghost images and the sharpness with my HP G2 has increased (don't ask me why it has become like this) but in the meantime it's great.
The only map that still causes me FPS issues in VR is Sinai which I think will only improve like all the other maps over time.
And to finish off the look of the Gazelle with its new liveries which are simply magnificent.
I hope that the next patch will not break this performance
(Fingers crossed)
Thank you to all the ED team and also to the teams of all the third parties who work with ED for us.
APPLAUSE👍👏

881 / 5 000

881 / 5 000

On 2/22/2024 at 3:16 PM, BIGNEWY said:

DCS Update discussion February 2024

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/news/changelog/

Hello guys.

I see latest release on Feb 22nd has only been done in stable rollout (I understand that unified version will be released in stable version and no more updates in open beta, correct?) Is there a way to move all progress from my current open beta version to the stable one?

Thanks in advance.

Regards. -

I fly a ka-50 so i'm not in danger... I AM the danger! :joystick:

10 minutes ago, paloncho said:

Hello guys.

I see latest release on Feb 22nd has only been done in stable rollout (I understand that unified version will be released in stable version and no more updates in open beta, correct?) Is there a way to move all progress from my current open beta version to the stable one?

Thanks in advance.

Regards. -

Just update the game. It happens automatically.

• Thanks 1

i7 13700k @5.2ghz, GTX 3090, 64Gig ram 4800mhz DDR5, M2 drive.

2 hours ago, paloncho said:

move all progress from my current open beta version to the stable one?

What do you mean by progress? Flight hours for your virtual pilot? Campaign progress? Just copy the files you want from your OB Saved Games to the new Saved Games. For example logbook.lua 🙂 

• Thanks 1
Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset

3 hours ago, paloncho said:

Hello guys.

Thanks in advance.

Regards. -

At this point it's basically still being released to both, but both Stable and Openbeta are getting the same release at the same time.  At some point apparently everything will end up in a "stable" folder (hopefully it will be done automatically, but one way or other ED will give details when they do that), but for now it will stay in the openbeta folder if that's all you have installed.  If you have both currently installed it will update stable apparently and you might need to do as Raven suggested.

• Thanks 1

Since both are the same now, I find it useless to update and maintain both. I used to fly in Open Beta only. So the "Saved Games" data for Open Beta were most relevant. Going forward, there will be no Open Beta I presume. I do not want to wait for some miraculos logic from ED to clean up for the different user situations. Therefore after the updating, I ...
1. Renamed the folder "DCS" under "Saved Games" to "DCS Old Stable". Will be deleted after a short grace period.
2. Renamed the folder "DCS Open Beta" under "Saved Games" to "DCS"-
3. Deleted the folder "K:\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World Open Beta" ("K:" is my games drive). This freed up about 400 GB on my Games drives
4. Deleted the desktop shortcuts to Open Beta and Open Beta MT. When I start the game from the shortcut "DCS World" it starts the MT version.

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5

Since you can name the folders whatever you like (of course you need to adjust your links and edit the configuration file to point at the right folder name) - I doubt that there will be any further action by ED.

When your current Installation is located in folder X and points to a savegames folder Y (regardless if it is named openbeta or kartoffelsalat) every update will honor this and just leave it alone.

Assumptions - of course!

• Like 2

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

7 hours ago, LeCuvier said:

Since both are the same now, I find it useless to update and maintain both.

One of the benefits of maintaining two versions was having previous version that doesn't have the bug the new one introduced. You can still do that by updating only one of them now.

Edited by draconus
  • Like 1

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

37 minutes ago, draconus said:

One of the benefits of maintaining two versions was having previous version that doesn't have the bug the new one introduced. You can still do that but updating only one of them now.

Yes, that was a potential benefit. In practice though I flew in Open Beta only because I always had at least one bird in early access and wanted to see the progress. I have never seen bugs so distastrous that I would have gone back to "Stable". I actually stopped maintaining mods in stable.
But now, as NineLine stated Thursday, "this is the unified version, no matter what version you are on now it will update to the same version.  "
Thus, no point keeping a second version.

Edited by LeCuvier

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5

Anyone else had controller mayhem since the update? I know it's nothing new, but as I had only just redone everything with an alternative stick, it was highly frustrating.

Not only were there multiple assignment and input issues (HOTAS not being recognised by DCS World despite being recognised and working with Windows 10 until after 2 restarts) but even keyboard assignments being shown as conflicting with others, when I haven't touched keyboard assignments for years (since VR - 2016). I'm guessing that's maybe where something has been changed by ED but not by a 3rd party dev?

In any case - killed my planned flying day Sunday but I'm well into getting things reassigned - will only take a few more hours, even with back-ups, cos everything needs to be checked as well.

Kneeboard Guides

Rig: Asus B650-GAMING PLUS; Ryzen 7800X3D ; 64GB DDR5 5600; RTX 4080; VPC T50 CM2 HOTAS; SN-1 Pedals; VR = Pico 4 over VD Wireless + Index; Point Control v2

8 hours ago, Hiob said:

Since you can name the folders whatever you like (of course you need to adjust your links and edit the configuration file to point at the right folder name) - I doubt that there will be any further action by ED.

You're correct in the behaviour, but I believe it was Nineline did indicate that ED intended to clean this up at a later date (likely to avoid confusion down the road from people having different folder names).

19 hours ago, Raven (Elysian Angel) said:

What do you mean by progress? Flight hours for your virtual pilot? Campaign progress? Just copy the files you want from your OB Saved Games to the new Saved Games. For example logbook.lua 🙂 

Yeah. I don't care about logbook, just all campaigns progress. I'm trying to find that data but no success yet, will investigate a bit more knowing that can be done now. Thanks Raven!

I fly a ka-50 so i'm not in danger... I AM the danger! :joystick:

1 hour ago, paloncho said:

I don't care about logbook, just all campaigns progress

Then you do care about logbook 😉
Campaign progress is saved in Saved Games\DCS\MissionEditor\logbook.lua

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset

1 hour ago, HoBGoBLiNzx3 said:

I'm assuming that Vulkan will be added in 3.0? I didn't see any info on if it was released this patch.

It's not released yet.

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

11 hours ago, Johnny Dioxin said:

Anyone else had controller mayhem since the update? 

Not on my case, I'm currently flying the Viggen and all the command bindings were OK. I heard that the Gazelle added a lot of new commands and it was likely to require re-assignment of bindings ... which aircraft did you had trouble with?

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

Part 2 of the Dora audio update is up!

I have even recorded my own short stint. What an update! It's a pleasure to listen. You fly at 5000 m, dive to 4000 at a fixed throttle position, the airspeed increases and the engine audio reflects the different regime. It sings to you now!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Raven (Elysian Angel) said:

Then you do care about logbook 😉
Campaign progress is saved in Saved Games\DCS\MissionEditor\logbook.lua

logbook.lua is hard to read though. Took me a while to import it into a database (MS Access), parse the data structure and present campaign data in an understandable format.

LeCuvier

3 minutes ago, LeCuvier said:

logbook.lua is hard to read though. Took me a while to import it into a database (MS Access), parse the data structure and present campaign data in an understandable format.

Because it's not for you to read - it's lua data. You just copy the file into your profile and it works in DCS.

• Like 1

On 2/26/2024 at 4:06 AM, LeCuvier said:

Since both are the same now, I find it useless to update and maintain both. I used to fly in Open Beta only. So the "Saved Games" data for Open Beta were most relevant. Going forward, there will be no Open Beta I presume. I do not want to wait for some miraculos logic from ED to clean up for the different user situations. Therefore after the updating, I ...
1. Renamed the folder "DCS" under "Saved Games" to "DCS Old Stable". Will be deleted after a short grace period.
2. Renamed the folder "DCS Open Beta" under "Saved Games" to "DCS"-
3. Deleted the folder "K:\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World Open Beta" ("K:" is my games drive). This freed up about 400 GB on my Games drives
4. Deleted the desktop shortcuts to Open Beta and Open Beta MT. When I start the game from the shortcut "DCS World" it starts the MT version.

I was also impatient and went ahead with removing openbeta from my directory names, both for the main install folder as well as Saved Games. One thing to add to the above steps is that after renaming the "Saved Games\DCS.openbeta" to "Saved Games\DCS", you need to edit the "dcs_variant.txt" file (under the main install folder) and remove the word "openbeta" and save it (essentially a blank file.) Without this step, DCS keeps looking for DCS.openbeta folder and when finds none, it creates its own empty one. I suppose this can apply for Stable release too which the file includes the word stable as oppose to openbeta.

Edited by Shahriar0
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, LeCuvier said:

Why are you using MS access? That's why the data structure is so hard to read. You may as well be opening it with .txt 

You'll save yourself a lot of heartache by using MS visual studio or any other programming environment for lua, then it's super easy to work with 

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] DCS: The most expensive free game you'll ever play

Modules: All of them

System:

I9-9900k, ROG Maximus , 32gb ram, RTX2070 Founder's Edition, t16000,hotas, pedals & cougar MFD, HP Reverb 1.2, HTC VIVE

18 hours ago, ngreenaway said:

Why are you using MS access? That's why the data structure is so hard to read. You may as well be opening it with .txt 

You'll save yourself a lot of heartache by using MS visual studio or any other programming environment for lua, then it's super easy to work with 

Even if I used Visual Studio to implement the parsing and visualization of logbook data, I would use a database structure with tables and relationships to store the structured data.
Now MS Access includes VBA (Visual Basic for Applications) and that is practically the same as the VB I would use within Visual Studio. Plus, MS Access provides an object set of forms and data handling objects that make it very easy to create a data-based application.

image.png

Edited by LeCuvier

LeCuvier