OV-10A Bronco mod by Split Air team.....and MORE

VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants -- this is how I fly. We do not fly at treetop height, we fly between trees(TM)

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc9BDi-STaqgWsjNiHbW0fA

My simple missions: https://forum.dcs.world/topic/284071-vr-flight-guy-in-pj-pants-simple-missions/

NSRI - National Strategy Research Institution, a fictional organisation based on wordplay of Strategic Naval Research Institution (SNRI), a fictional institution appears in Mobile Suit Gundam UC timeline.

1 hour ago, nachomaga said:

Just installed and no problem binding the throttle, works fine for me.

good for you .. the people experiencing problems are those that don't yet have a Hotas and are trying to use the keyboard to control the Throttle.

• Like 2

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

Textures on this thing are... hilariously overkill.

2K textures for almost every gauge in the six pack????

I also think it's funny that the "RESET" on the generators says "RESCUE"

Fun mod though at least! But those textures... woof! No reason for those gauges to be any larger than 512x512; or at least if you want to keep the 2048x at least don't have it texture out sides of polygons that aren't visible for every unique cylinder; tons of wasted space, and makes the loading time... minutes long practically.

Either way, it's good fun, and the sounds at least are solid!

I also wish I didn't have to bind the fuel levers to an axis being a set it and forget it kind of thing.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Rudel_chw said:

good for you .. the people experiencing problems are those that don't yet have a Hotas and are trying to use the keyboard to control the Throttle.

Right, the problem is only with the keyboard,

On Discord, they don't even answer, just to see if it's a known problem ...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, XCNuse said:

Textures on this thing are... hilariously overkill.

2K textures for almost every gauge in the six pack????

I also think it's funny that the "RESET" on the generators says "RESCUE"

Fun mod though at least! But those textures... woof! No reason for those gauges to be any larger than 512x512; or at least if you want to keep the 2048x at least don't have it texture out sides of polygons that aren't visible for every unique cylinder; tons of wasted space, and makes the loading time... minutes long practically.

Either way, it's good fun, and the sounds at least are solid!

I also wish I didn't have to bind the fuel levers to an axis being a set it and forget it kind of thing.

First problem I noticed too,  loading some textures is painfully slow, I'm solving it by converting everything from png to dds.  Loads much quicker. 

Loving this Mod, I have been looking forward to this for a long time, and about an hour before they released it my drive crashed, so still catching up.

Well Done the Split Air Team, this is a real treat to have. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

38 minutes ago, Hiob said:

I flew her in the Caucasus today and noticed pretty low fps. Wonder if it is on the Bronco or the map….

Same on Syria, very bad fps when flying the Bronco ☹️

• Like 2

MSI Z97 Gaming 5 - Intel I7 4790K - Artic cooling freezer 7 pro rev 2 - GSKILL 32 Go - SSD Crucial M5 120 go - SSD Crucial 2To - HDD western digital caviar blue 1 TO - Gigabyte GTX 1070 Gaming G1 - Windows 10 home 64 bits

11 hours ago, Rudel_chw said:

You are correct, seems DCS does not model turboprops yet, so this Mod is using the piston engine model instead. However, this Mod has a very nice propeller animation and it’s the only one that I’ve seen that attempts to mimíc the reverse pitch braking effect. 

Ahh... got it. Thanks for the info! I really do like the module.

9 hours ago, prccowboy said:

AFAIK: engine type choices include :

PISTON, TURBOPROP, TURBOJET, TURBOJET_AB, TURBOFAN, and TURBOSHAFT 

If that's true, TURBOSHAFT would be the most appropriate one.

EDIT: I retract that statement.

Edited by II.JG1_Vonrd
  • Like 1

I think there is a problem with the damage module in the case of, for example, landing in difficult terrain. If I crash the plane, it is still intact, but it is not possible to start the engine, for example, if it went out earlier. And the icon disappears from the map as in the case of "death". But if the engines are fine, you can still try to take off and fly.

17 hours ago, JTF-191 Scooter said:

For some reason I am only getting around 5 to 6 FPS in VR. Every other plane is normal, 40 to 45 FPS in VR. I am hoping I missed something.

The FPS is a little choppy at times in VR (PIMAX for me).  I take it they will work on improving the performance over time.  I have only flown it on the Marianas map but will try another one and see how it goes.  I will reply to this thread with the video.  Once I got the engines started and in the air, it was not terrible.

I switched over to the Huey afterwards same mission, same map, and no hit to the FPS.  Smooth as glass.  Same with the A-4.  I think the solution for the FPS problem is time and patience as the devs correct things.  The mod seems very well received so I am going to make a wild assumption and say they are listening and will start correcting issues we post on here.

Until then, see you in the virtual skies! 

• Like 1

QuickStart missions (cold start + runway + free flight) for both Caucasus map and the Marianas map have been submitted and waiting for approval. Once it is out, will keep you updated.

Screen_220909_213427.jpg

Screen_220909_213440.jpg

Screen_220909_213455.jpg

Screen_220909_213511.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants -- this is how I fly. We do not fly at treetop height, we fly between trees(TM)

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc9BDi-STaqgWsjNiHbW0fA

My simple missions: https://forum.dcs.world/topic/284071-vr-flight-guy-in-pj-pants-simple-missions/

NSRI - National Strategy Research Institution, a fictional organisation based on wordplay of Strategic Naval Research Institution (SNRI), a fictional institution appears in Mobile Suit Gundam UC timeline.

I've been loving the OV10, so have the guys in my squadron. 

We've set up a few little multiplayer missions. They're passworded, but if they are up the discord link for the password and all that is in the mission/ server description. We'll warmly welcome OV10 pilots. (A4's as well...) Search "AIN_" or and you should find our stuff. 

Now then. If you have NS430 and the OV10 crashes your game when you eject, disable NS430. It seems to be a known bug and happens to (according to their discord) 4%. 

The rough field/ STOL performance is very good. According to some pilot interviews I watched, the OV10 can land, with full reverse thrust, in about 200 feet. My testing supports that for the mod. The same pilots said 800 feet for a takeoff roll, making take offs on the Tarawa a bit tight, but doable. (Put the Tarawa at 20 knots in mission editor and you shouldn't have a problem) 

While the OV10 mod manual says lifting off at 100 knots, and I've done as slow as 90, the IRL pilots said 110 knots because of the possibility to lose and engine and losing an engine on takeoff at under 110 knots will cause lots of yaw, and result in a departure from controlled flight. 

It's a difficult aircraft to spin, as it probably is IRL. However, it is possible it just requires lots of work. Spin recovery is easy, and usually the aircraft will self-recover from a spin. The stall performance is docile and there is a nice bit of buffeting to warn you of a stall onset. Again, push the nose down and she'll recover without a problem. 

The guns are fun, but be warned, they don't act like an M60 does IRL. now this isn't the mod's fault, it's DCS damage models. I've fired a lot of 7.62 IRL and I've fired M60's. (I've fired much more ammo from M240's but that's another story) These don't damage like an M60, and the accuracy seems a bit too much for me. The M60 isn't an accurate gun, even by GP machine gun standards. I think the guns are too accurate. Personally, I'd double the dispersion factor from what it is now and that would seem about right, but again that's just the solider part of me. 

According to the research I've done, the current weapons are limited. It should be able to carry GBU12's (same mounting points as a MK82...) and laser rockets. Now it can't self-designate, but they fit in the same pod. there's no reason why and OV10 A couldn't carry them, and it would give mission makers more leeway. The OV10 a could carry (according to IRL pilots who flew if) any NATO standard free fall bomb or rocket. Furthermore, currently drop tanks are limited to the center station, but in actual use the outboard wing stations could also carry drop tanks. And again, A sidewinder is a sidewinder, it should be able to carry at least up to the "AIM-9M" or "AIM-9L" as the L was in service at the same time as the OV10 before the first retirement in the early 90's. If possible, I'd also like to see an option for Night vision for the pilot. Already in mission editor are the early Vietnam ear targeting pods for the F4, which the Ov10 A could and did also use in Vietnam. I understand coding a targeting pod, even an early on might not be possible, but the OV10 should be able to carry a the F4 targeting pod. 

As far as navigation goes...well it's got a compass. (2 actually). However, the tacan won't pick up a portable TACAN beacon. this is a known issue and probably something about the way DCS models them. (I'm not sure.) But the OV10 doesn't have working ADF/ NDB radios which it should. I understand the radios are still a WIP so I'm excited to see which way that goes in the future. 

Overall, it's a very good first release. The flight model is good, with some room for improvement. (As with most DCS flight models). Most importantly, it's FUN! and more fun if you get a buddy to fly one as well. sections or flights of OV10's are just fun. 

Lastly, it's easier to fly and taxi the OV10 if you have rudder pedals with toe brakes and a split throttle. Steering and ground taxi is done with toe brakes and differantial engine power. possible to fly it without, but if you have the option, use your split throttle. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Dscross said:

I understand coding a targeting pod, even an early on might not be possible, but the OV10 should be able to carry a the F4 targeting pod.

It would be cool if the maker of the A-29 Super Tucano mod would share their tech for the FLIR implementation they did. It's the first time I've seen a mod have a proper 360 degree, multilevel + smooth zoom, tracking and lasing capability custom targeting system like that on an onboard MFD as well, instead of the common "let's use the Su-25T as a base and just put a Shkval in it".

A limited implementation of that could work great for what you're talking about.

• Like 1

I changed ALL textures to dds format and deleted the original png format hoping the model would load faster but it makes no difference.  If you look in the preview window in the ME there is a very noticeable time lag when you change from one livery to another.

Its only happening with the Bronco, no other aircraft are affected.

Is anyone else seeing this ?   

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, JFCshloss said:

i have no hud as in no recticules nor figures the only thing that shoots is the guns my bombs wont release nor will rockets fire  and i find nothign to explIN IT  inhe istrutions what  am i missing here? 

The gun sight has a brightness control top right of the cockpit.

The weapon stations for rockets & bombs can be turned on using the switches on the the right front panel, the master arm needs to be turned on using the switch on the left front panel.

AMD 5800X3D · MSI 4080 · Asus ROG Strix B550 Gaming  · HP Reverb Pro · 1Tb M.2 NVMe, 32Gb Corsair Vengence 3600MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · VIRPIL T-50CM3 Base, Alpha Prime R. VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Base. JetSeat

1 hour ago, crazyeddie said:

I changed ALL textures to dds format and deleted the original png format hoping the model would load faster but it makes no difference.  If you look in the preview window in the ME there is a very noticeable time lag when you change from one livery to another.

Its only happening with the Bronco, no other aircraft are affected.

Is anyone else seeing this ?   

I didn't convert the png's, but I can confirm that the time lag when loading the liveries, but it's not the only one, some mods (aircraft, tech) also have this lag.
I don't know if this has any impact once the mission starts