Anyone else have a major issue with just getting this thing off the ground? Contrtols are beyond unrealistic. I haven't been able to get off the ground without balling it up. I understand helicopter physics, served 12 years as a crew chief on the UH-60 Blackhawk, so I'm well aware of the trim, pedal inputs etc. No matter what and regardless of how much trim or pedal is in, it will not doing anything level. This isn't just for the 64, it's all the helicopters in DCS. Just can't get them level.

• Like 2

Former SSG US Army

UH-60A/L/M Crewchief

"2 To Fly!"

Double check bindings for axis controls.

• Like 3

ASUS ROG Strix B550-E GAMING - PNY GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming VERTO EPIC-X  - AMD Ryzen 9 5900X - 64Gb RAM - 2x2Tb M2 - Win11 - HP Reverb g2 - Oculus Quest 2 - Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS - Thrustmaster Pendular Rudder - 2X Thrustmaster MFD Cougar

vor 29 Minuten schrieb H60MTI:

Anyone else have a major issue with just getting this thing off the ground? Contrtols are beyond unrealistic. I haven't been able to get off the ground without balling it up. I understand helicopter physics, served 12 years as a crew chief on the UH-60 Blackhawk, so I'm well aware of the trim, pedal inputs etc. No matter what and regardless of how much trim or pedal is in, it will not doing anything level. This isn't just for the 64, it's all the helicopters in DCS. Just can't get them level.

what hardware do you use?
means, what kind of Joystick, thrust lever, pedals?

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, H60MTI said:

If possible, post a track file/s of all helicopters you fly.

• Like 1

Also, and it is true, press and release the  brakes and disable the parking brake, if not the chopper is "glued" to the floor and will rotate to the left when trying to liftoff.

Intel i9 10850k - MSI Tomahawk 490z - 64 GB DDR4 3000 - HP Reverb G2 - MSI optix Mag321curv 4k monitor - MSI RTX 3080ti - Winwing Orion Throttle base plus F18 stick

If you’re not using a stick extension try adding some curve to reduce the sensitivity in the axis response menu. 

i9-14900KS | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

Also check the game's options for "Game Flight Mode" and make sure it's not checked. Doesn't sound like this is your issue, but still worth making sure it doesn't interfere with realistic helicopter behavior.

Earlier this year I got a short joyride in an actual, professional helicopter simulator for a Eurocopter. While my hovering was bad and I consistently used the collective the wrong way around because of the habit patterns I've developed at my home PC using a throttle as collective, all things considered I felt that flying helicopters in DCS had done a fantastic job of preparing me for it.

A short track showcasing your problem would definitely be a big help to sort out the problem at hand.

Edited by Yurgon
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, H60MTI said:

I had a similar problem pop up when I was trying to set up a 360 Controller set up as my flight controls. I left it plugged in when I wanted to use my HOTAS. So essentially my controllers were fighting each other for control. Otherwise, everything is working for me. 

• Like 1

My vote would be for a physical control problem, double bind, something like that. The AH64 seems to go where it feels like compared to a normal helicopter, but it's nothing like what you are describing, certainly not unflyable. I'd suggest going through all your axis assignments again from the start.
DCS "helpfully" auto assigns any new controllers and you can end up with fun and games like your rudder controlling your throttle. ED also like to do strange things to your control settings on many updates, I'm assuming this is to make sure we are all paying attention.

You can fly the DCS helos with a standard consumer product length stick - in fact once you have a bit of familiarity you can fly them with a force sensing stick with almost no travel at all ( until you sneeze ) but adding an extension is really going to help you out. Try to get a cranked extension, many of the helos need quite an amount of forward cyclic for level flight at cruise settings and this can make your arm position uncomfortable.

• Like 1

---------------------------------------------------------

PC specs:- Intel 386DX, 2mb memory, onboard graphics, 14" 640x480 monitor

Modules owned:- Bachem Natter, Cessna 150, Project Pluto, Sopwith Snipe

4 hours ago, Extranajero said:

ED also like to do strange things to your control settings on many updates, I'm assuming this is to make sure we are all paying attention.

I don't want to derail the topic, but just to add a different opinion, my configured controls tend to remain stable for years and years in almost every single module.

Of course the flight model does change in an Early Access product like the Apache. That is to be expected and we are strongly encouraged to check the changelogs and keep our eyes out for announcements on the forums, on places like Discord or Youtube.

Anyway, I don't think any flight model changes or controller setting changes are affecting OP, since he said this behavior was consistent across various helicopters in DCS.

• Like 1

i dont recommend putting your collective on an axis unless you have a very long extension. if you cant be dialing in 1-2% collective requests at a time you are asking for trouble as the engine management will not be able to keep up with high rates of collective changes.

if you are having instability even in a mudhen there's something wrong on your end. try ctrl+enter and see what your controls are actually outputting.

Edited by probad

3 hours ago, probad said:

i dont recommend putting your collective on an axis unless you have a very long extension. if you cant be dialing in 1-2% collective requests at a time you are asking for trouble as the engine management will not be able to keep up with high rates of collective changes.

if you are having instability even in a mudhen there's something wrong on your end. try ctrl+enter and see what your controls are actually outputting.

I had collective on a slider on my old joystick.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Yurgon said:

I don't want to derail the topic

Well don't then

• Like 1

---------------------------------------------------------

PC specs:- Intel 386DX, 2mb memory, onboard graphics, 14" 640x480 monitor

Modules owned:- Bachem Natter, Cessna 150, Project Pluto, Sopwith Snipe

Am 18.7.2023 um 02:47 schrieb Yurgon:

I don't want to derail the topic, but just to add a different opinion, my configured controls tend to remain stable for years and years in almost every single module.

Of course the flight model does change in an Early Access product like the Apache. That is to be expected and we are strongly encouraged to check the changelogs and keep our eyes out for announcements on the forums, on places like Discord or Youtube.

Anyway, I don't think any flight model changes or controller setting changes are affecting OP, since he said this behavior was consistent across various helicopters in DCS.

Nope, there's def been a change to the ranges of some axis inputs of the AH64d just a few updates ago. I completely had to reset my rudder settings and they are very different now compared to what they used to be before that update. Maybe that does not apply to people who config their controls through any kind of 3rd party input device software, but it's def true for people who do these settings inside of DCS exclusively.

Edited by Emme

39 minutes ago, Emme said:

I completely had to reset my rudder settings and they are very different now compared to what they used to be before that update.

a) I would qualify that as a change to the flight model, not a change to the controls-setup, which was the suggestion I responded to.
b) Could you clarify in what way this affects the original poster, when he very unambiguously stated "This isn't just for the 64, it's all the helicopters in DCS. Just can't get them level."?

In either case, OP hasn't logged in to the forum since he posted his opening message, and at this point anyone's guess seems to be as good as anyone else's as to the source of OP's issues.

• Like 1

vor 13 Stunden schrieb Emme:

Nope, there's def been a change to the ranges of some axis inputs of the AH64d just a few updates ago. I completely had to reset my rudder settings and they are very different now compared to what they used to be before that update. Maybe that does not apply to people who config their controls through any kind of 3rd party input device software, but it's def true for people who do these settings inside of DCS exclusively.

Yep, they corrected the tail rotor neutral input, to match the real aircraft.

See here:

https://forum.dcs.world/topic/309212-anti-torque-pedal-rigging-since-dcs-271830348-open-beta/?do=findComment&comment=5054028

• Like 1

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

if you have problems on the Huey... which is the easiest chopper to fly in DCS, then yes go through all your axis bindings and keyboard bindings.

DCS has an annoying habit of automatically assigning functions to your Hotas system when it boots up for the first time.

This automatic assignment is helpful to not one sim pilot.... except maybe a warthog pilot with a Thrustmaster Warthog joystick and throttle.

HP G2 Reverb, Windows 10 VR settings: IPD is 64.5mm, High image quality, G2 reset to 60Hz refresh rate as standard. OpenXR user, Open XR tool kit disabled. Open XR was a massive upgrade for me.

DCS: Pixel Density 1.0, Forced IPD at 55 (perceived world size), 0 X MSAA, 0 X SSAA. My real IPD is 64.5mm. Prescription VROptition lenses installed. VR Driver system: I9-9900KS 5Ghz CPU. XI Hero motherboard and RTX 3090 graphics card, 64 gigs Ram, No OC at the mo. MT user  (2 - 5 fps gain). DCS run at 60Hz.

Vaicom user. Thrustmaster warthog user. MFG pedals with damper upgrade.... and what an upgrade! Total controls Apache MPDs set to virtual Reality height with brail enhancements to ensure 100% button activation in VR.. Simshaker Jet Pro vibration seat.. Uses data from DCS not sound.... you know when you are dropping into VRS with this bad boy.

On 7/16/2023 at 4:28 PM, H60MTI said:

Here's a little story.

I suddenly couldn't take off after having mastered it long ago but it started flopping over whenever I tried to take off. I'll save you all my troubleshooting steps and go right to the cause, Long story short for some reason the USB port that my stick was in was bugged and I had to unplug and replug it back in and all was good again! 

It probably won't help but you never know, check your controls.  Good luck

Edited by pii
  • Like 1