Weather development

nicka117

And I hope performance is not hit by the new clouds. I am amazed how FS2020 did theirs and performance they have. Put the scene with polygons and there is none for the clouds. Of course there is a shader around, but I don't know how they did it.

If the DCS clouds are half as good as FS2020, I would be pleased!!

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

DO you mean like live weather updates? So you are flying in current conditions, such as MSFS 2020 does?

If you are going to fly in Syria. DCS will take the weather in the real world and convert it to the game. Just like civil aviation simulators. The simulator synchronizes the actual weather with that of the game. DCS with real-time weather! :thumbup:

Edited by ThorBrasil

|Motherboard|: Asus TUF Gaming X570-PLUS,

|WaterCooler|: Corsair H115i Pro,

|CPU|: AMD Ryzen 7 3800X,

|RAM|: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200MHz DDR4,

|SSD|: Kingston A2000 500GB M.2 NVMe,

|SSD|: Kingston 2.5´ 480GB UV400 SATA III,

|SSHD|: Seagate Híbrido 2TB 7200RPM SATA III,

|GPU|: MSI Gaming 980Ti,

|Monitor|: LG UltraWide 34UM68,

|Joystick 1|: Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog,

|Joystick 2|: T.Flight Rudder Pedals,

|Head Motion|: TrackIr 5.

DCS will take the weather in the real world and convert it to the game.

And what are the benefits? Most of us playing in the evening, so we have every time the same weather ....

I don't think that it make sense to add any recourse for this.

regards

buur

And what are the benefits? Most of us playing in the evening, so we have every time the same weather ....

I don't think that it make sense to add any recourse for this.

regards

buur

This!

I would much rather have a proper dynamic weather system that is actually usable instead of real time weather. Leave the real time weather to MS Flight Sim were it makes sense.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

[...]

I would much rather have a proper dynamic weather system that is actually usable instead of real time weather. Leave the real time weather to MS Flight Sim were it makes sense.

Yes, for DCS it would be more important to have good tools for map makers to plan weather and a good weather simulation to drive changes dynamically and realistically.

I understand concerns about development resources or performance impact of real time weather. But real time weather was a huge game changer for me in other sims. No session is like the others before with RTW. That's what I want from every means of entertainment. So no priority of RTW? Ok by me but please don't give up the possibility to have it some day.

Yes realtime weather would be an awesome feature
Not really. How many times you set a mission or fly a mission and the mission time is exactly current date? :music_whistling: In a civil sim it makes sense you try to fly RL airliners or whatever in real local time, but here??

S!

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice

IMO there's absolutely no need for realtime weather because there simply is no real use for it. Even if one creates a historically accurate mission in DCS, the weather at the time would probable be known hence you can configure the mission so it would recreate those weather conditions with a dynamic weather engine within the new weather system.

Here's a rendering technique someone made in Unity that should let us imagine what we could get in DCS:

Wow! That's really impressive!

Not only the clouds, but also the lighting

Oh and fwiw, I personally couldn't care less about real time/live weather.

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

IMO there's absolutely no need for realtime weather because there simply is no real use for it. Even if one creates a historically accurate mission in DCS, the weather at the time would probable be known hence you can configure the mission so it would recreate those weather conditions with a dynamic weather engine within the new weather system.

ok, that's right. so if i want to genereate a today's mission, i just have to get the local weather forecast and put all data into the mission generator and have what i want. that's a workaround for those that don't want to push a button that just looks for that data in the internet and configures the parameters of my mission.

I have to admit that realtime weather is not that important to me, but I do understand those that want it.

But what about historical weather. It's that even possible?

Cheers!

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

Not really. How many times you set a mission or fly a mission and the mission time is exactly current date? :music_whistling: In a civil sim it makes sense you try to fly RL airliners or whatever in real local time, but here??

S!

After thinking about real weather in a military sim I must admit that it makes more sense for the civilian guys. For DCS dynamic weather is a very important feature, especially when it influences our sensors (TGP, Laser etc).

I am glad to hear that the dev guys make great progress and to hear more about it in the comming newsletters

For me I'd rather put focus on having a dynamic weather system whereby you can define the initial conditions at mission start and have a forecasted weather state and have the weather transition from one to the other during a set time.

The other thing is being able to better define the weather in different locations (maybe dynamic). Instead of our current systems which are a little more limited.

Just compare what we can do currently, with this: https://www.windy.com/?43.720,37.771,7

Real-time weather could maybe be used as a workaround, instead of having it calculated. Even if it doesn't make as much sense (especially for historical missions).

I wouldn't say no to real-time weather - there's nothing really stopping you from using real-time weather in a historical scenario (even if it doesn't make much sense).

Edited by Northstar98

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

Syncronised weather for MP and improving the existing dynamic weather system would be my votes.

What's currently there is usable, but a bit barebones.

Real time weather is effectively pointless for DCS which is mission/scenario based.

The weather in the Normandy right now has absolutely zero bearing on a mission set in 1944.

I get the people (myself included) who like doing free flights thinking it'd be a good thing, but a decent dynamic engine would really give you pretty much what you need, as really it's the dynamic factor of the live weather that makes it interesting, not the fact it is live.

My wishes for an update of the dynamic weather system:

1. A good documentation worth to read. It is really a hard time to find out how the dynamic weather engine is working.

2. A extra editor window witch shows much more area than the normal editor map. Weather system are huge and to big for the normal editor map. In the attachments are an example for an auto generated weather system and you can see that it is much bigger than the normal editor map.

pseudo_cyclons.thumb.png.fc7fb0696d888195474e6d6a366b1880.png

pressuremap.thumb.png.f5f41b35f3de72c75b144ad89d7fd2e0.png

Another image extracted from their FB account...

I tried to correct brightness and contrast for a better visibility.

894004751_Newclouds.png.c5a7b8f8e0b7ebfdcda6d012763b5df9.png

"An optimist is a guy who plants two seeds and runs to buy a hammock"

Ryzen 7 7800X3D | Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming WiFi | MSI RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio | 32Go Corsair Vengeance 32Go DDR5 6000Mt/s CL30 | MasterLiquid ML360R | Corsair NVMe M.2 1To x2 | Seagate 2To SATA III | TM Warthog stick base w/ F/A-18C grip + WW Orion 2 throttle w/ F/A-18C grips | FSSB R3 L w/ TM F-16C grip + TM Viper TQS | MFG Crosswind V3 w/ damper kit | Meta Quest 3 128Go | Dell S2722DGM

Mirage 2000C | F/A-18C | F-16C | Su-33 | Mig 29 | Supercarrier | Nevada | Persian Gulf | Normandie 2.0 | Syria | South Atlantic | Sinai

Thinking about the "Always up" server, a well modeled dynamic weather system gets my vote. Real time weather is not needed, but something that creates realistic weather with variance over time would be awesome.

But agreed, the weather systems themselves need to be larger than the rendered map. No minecraft "Oh, it's suddenly rainy" transitions, have the weather front move in.

I don't understand that some people here are so opposed to the idea to have real-time weather in what claims to be the most realistic military flight simulation.

I don't think that the realtime weather should be the only option either. But, if I create a mission now, putting a carrier in the black sea area, I want to be able to select realtime weather for it.

If the weather then is nice, great. If the weather sucks, rain, fog and/or wind, now you have to make all kinds of decisions regarding attack profile, choice of weapons, and many more considerations.

That, in my mind, creates the ultimate simulation of the real-world situation. For historic scenarios you should be able to set it to whatever you want.

I don't understand that some people here are so opposed to the idea to have real-time weather in what claims to be the most realistic military flight simulation.

I don't think that the realtime weather should be the only option either. But, if I create a mission now, putting a carrier in the black sea area, I want to be able to select realtime weather for it.

If the weather then is nice, great. If the weather sucks, rain, fog and/or wind, now you have to make all kinds of decisions regarding attack profile, choice of weapons, and many more considerations.

That, in my mind, creates the ultimate simulation of the real-world situation. For historic scenarios you should be able to set it to whatever you want.

+1000:thumbup:

i7 8700k@4.7, 1080ti, DDR4 32GB, 2x SSD , HD 2TB, W10, ASUS 27", TrackIr5, TMWH, X-56, GProR.

+1

Sounds good. But what if the weather conditions do now allow your RW buddies to operate at all? There's a mod a while ago (probably it's still around) but we had to disable it after our RW squadrons were grounded due to unexpected crazy winds. Real-time weather is a cool idea on paper but it comes with heavy drawbacks.

Of course the mission can be changed, but when you are already expecting a mission 2-3 hours long, not counting the briefing, having to change the weather right before you start is just something you don't want.

On the other hand, an accurately simulated dynamic weather should allow you to simulate any weather, so just get the details from the areas you are interested into and feed it to the game.

full_tiny.pngfull_tiny.png
full_tiny.png

"Cogito, ergo RIO"
Virtual Backseaters Volume I: F-14 Radar Intercept Officer - Fifth Public Draft
Virtual Backseaters Volume II: F-4E Weapon Systems Officer - Internal Draft WIP

Phantom Phamiliarisation Video Series | F-4E/F-14 Kneeboard Pack

Sounds good. But what if the weather conditions do now allow your RW buddies to operate at all? There's a mod a while ago (probably it's still around) but we had to disable it after our RW squadrons were grounded due to unexpected crazy winds. Real-time weather is a cool idea on paper but it comes with heavy drawbacks.

Of course the mission can be changed, but when you are already expecting a mission 2-3 hours long, not counting the briefing, having to change the weather right before you start is just something you don't want.

On the other hand, an accurately simulated dynamic weather should allow you to simulate any weather, so just get the details from the areas you are interested into and feed it to the game.

You describe exactly that kind of realism I see in a realtime weather implementation. I agree that a good dynamic weather system with the ability to set it to a kind of random generation would do most of what we want too but isn't that very close to a real weather system bc you only need to synchronise (every 15 to 30 min+) a few kilobytes of data from a weather server?

MP will be the challenge for every dynamic weather system. Realtime or not.

I learned in this thread a lot of reasons why it should not be an option. I'm still convinced that it will add the kind of immersion a sim pilot would not want to miss. My opinion.

A random dynamic weather generator will be much more of a challenge to cover all realistic weather situations than a simple internet server query. And others do that already quite well.