A10A - nothing in cockpit is clickable in A10A cockpit even though the A10C is flyable, the A10A is basically unusable.

InitiatedAunt74

I own the A10C but decided to try the Flaming Cliffs trial, and that has the A10A module in it.  It installed, and it flies, but nothing in the cockpit is clickable.  The mouse cursor appears normally when you LAlt+C, and the mouse cursor stays yellow and never changes to indicate that something is mouse over and can be interacted with. This does not happen in the A10C, only the A10A.  I see other forum posts about various planes/modules doing this in DCS apparently it's a DCS bug that's been lurking for years.

DCS 2.7.6.13436, Win10

Edited by InitiatedAunt74

Lol its FC3 non clickable cockpits!  

Need full fidelty, do you really think a $15 module has the same clickable cockpit as a $80 module?

Anyway the more obvious question is why are you even using the A10A when you have the A10C ?!  Just doesnt make sense unless you dont know how to use the A10C?

Infact if you have the A10C, why even bother with FC3 anyway, makes me grimace even thinking about those 3 buttons and airborne planes.

• Like 1

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DCS & BMS

F14B | AV-8B | F15E | F18C | F16C | F5 | F86 | A10C | JF17 | Viggen |Mirage 2000 | F1 |  L-39 | C101 | Mig15 | Mig21 | Mig29 | SU27 | SU33 | F15C | AH64 | MI8 | Mi24 | Huey | KA50 | Gazelle | P47 | P51 | BF109 | FW190A/D | Spitfire | Mossie | CA | Persian Gulf | Nevada | Normandy | Channel | Syria | South Atlantic | Sinai 

Liquid Cooled ROG 690 13700K @ 5.9Ghz | RTX3090 FTW Ultra | 64GB DDR4 3600 MHz | 2x2TB SSD m2 Samsung 980/990 | Pimax Crystal/Reverb G2 | MFG Crosswinds | Virpil T50/CM3 | Winwing & Cougar MFD's | Buddyfox UFC | Winwing TOP & CP | Jetseat

I think, OP simply didn't know about the differences between the full fidelity, EFM, 6DOF, clickable cockpit simulations and the the lower tier FC3 Modules. No need to mock him.

@InitiatedAunt74 The FC3 Modules are a lot simpler than the high fidelity ones (and a lot cheaper). You can use most of the functions either by keys or by bindings to your hotas but not interact with them with yur mouse. It's by design.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

I really enjoy the FC3 planes (Stands by to get ridiculed). I certainly get full 6dof in vr and was under the impression that the fm's had been updated. In Any case all good fun. Certainly worth the money for a beginner when it's on sale. As stated the op just didn't read the info, no harm done.

• Like 5

56 minutes ago, Hawkeye_UK said:

Anyway the more obvious question is why are you even using the A10A when you have the A10C ?!  Just doesnt make sense unless you dont know how to use the A10C

Oh, that is easy. 

I fly even the old F-14 and some warbirds despite the fact that there is more modern stuff around. It is not always like "newer is better". I would also prefer the A over all the other electric toy variants if a FF Modul would be available. 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, InitiatedAunt74 said:

I own the A10C but decided to try the Flaming Cliffs trial, and that has the A10A module in it.  It installed, and it flies, but nothing in the cockpit is clickable.  The mouse cursor appears normally when you LAlt+C, and the mouse cursor stays yellow and never changes to indicate that something is mouse over and can be interacted with. This does not happen in the A10C, only the A10A.  I see other forum posts about various planes/modules doing this in DCS apparently it's a DCS bug that's been lurking for years.

DCS 2.7.6.13436, Win10

Not a bug. Its a product design decision. 

The short history background is that FC3 modules date from 2005ish  IIRC when full fidelity modules were not a regular thing. I say regular because at that time there was a full fidelity module; the KA50, and shortly next it came the A10C. But that was it. Nowadays is almost impossible to think of a non clickable module other than a mod. Lets see what happens with MAC, announced many times but totally silent for some months/1 year.... But MAC is like a stadnalone FC4 geared towards a different audience.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Hiob said:

OP simply didn't know about the differences between the full fidelity, EFM, 6DOF, clickable cockpit simulations and the the lower tier FC3 Modules.

FC3 does provide full 6DOF cockpit, AFM (Su-25, A-10A), PFM (F-15C, Su-27/33, Mig-29) and fully animated 3D aircraft models. Some even have in-cockpit pilot body (Su-25, Su-27) but the cockpit is not clickable and the systems and operation is simplified. Depending on the module some switches, buttons and levers are fully animated.

• Like 1

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

Ah.  So non-clickable-cockpit is normal in all Flaming Cliff Modules.  That's super odd.  You can bind a keystroke say for landing gear, but you can't interact with anything at all in the FC modules?

I love the A10C module, but I thought I'd give the FC3 A10A module a try. Why?

Because it's primitive and interesting to me because the A10A module is closer to what they flew in Kuwait/DesertStorm than the A10C.

Also they have the trial versions and it's free to try.   It looks to me, like the FC modules are bullshit and annoying though. No cockpit clicky? What even is the point.  I guess I was expecting 90% of the stuff shown in the 3d Cockpit to NOT be simulated, but for some things like master-arm to be clickable.

Even more annoying to me is that I can't seem to get the A10A cannon/gun to fire using my HOTAS joystick firing button. It's mapped but nothing works.

The A10C has a learning curve that I'm still working through, and I thought, why not do some "arcade" style stuff with the FC mods.   They don't work.   I can die, but I can't inflict death.   

Now that I understand you can't click anything, at least that mystery is solved. Why the guns don't fire in the A10A, but do in the A10C and A10C2, is still a mystery.

Thought process was:

1.  I can't fire? Why?

2. Try to make sure master arm is armed.   Oh. I can't click that on the cockpit.

3. The old A10A panel shows I have rounds left.... But nothing fires...

And the cockpit is non-interactive....  

Logical conclusion:   DCS is buggy.

45 minutes ago, InitiatedAunt74 said:

Ah.  So non-clickable-cockpit is normal in all Flaming Cliff Modules.  That's super odd.  You can bind a keystroke say for landing gear, but you can't interact with anything at all in the FC modules?

Because it's primitive and interesting to me because the A10A module is closer to what they flew in Kuwait/DesertStorm than the A10C.

Also they have the trial versions and it's free to try.   It looks to me, like the FC modules are bullshit and annoying though. No cockpit clicky? What even is the point.  I guess I was expecting 90% of the stuff shown in the 3d Cockpit to NOT be simulated, but for some things like master-arm to be clickable.

Even more annoying to me is that I can't seem to get the A10A cannon/gun to fire using my HOTAS joystick firing button. It's mapped but nothing works.

The A10C has a learning curve that I'm still working through, and I thought, why not do some "arcade" style stuff with the FC mods.   They don't work.   I can die, but I can't inflict death.   

Now that I understand you can't click anything, at least that mystery is solved. Why the guns don't fire in the A10A, but do in the A10C and A10C2, is still a mystery.

Thought process was:

1.  I can't fire? Why?

2. Try to make sure master arm is armed.   Oh. I can't click that on the cockpit.

Page 48 in the manual

vor 44 Minuten schrieb InitiatedAunt74:

It looks to me, like the FC modules are bullshit and annoying though. No cockpit clicky? What even is the point.

The FC-3 planes are greate fun and many people, espically new people, prefer the simplyfied gamestyle with a less deeper leraning curve. Also its pretty nice to come home in the evening, start the planes with 3 keybinds in under 1 min and to have action instead of preparing the plane 30min  on ground.

• Like 3

My skins

46 minutes ago, InitiatedAunt74 said:

Have you selected the cannon with the “C” key?

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU1...CR6IZ7crfdZxDg

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

1 hour ago, InitiatedAunt74 said:

Another user doesn't want to read the manual he gets with his new trial jet. Instead would just fumble around aimlessly in frustration. Then blame the software for being broken. Another user: another day.

The A-10A's manual sits a 104 pages. Steps for firing the gun are on 95.

"I gotta read 95 pages to know how to fire the gun?" They don't teach kids how to use a table of contents, or a search bar apparently....

It's 3 keyboard presses and the bullets start flying.

• Like 7

The OP has got a point.

A lot of us know FC3 aircraft don't have clickable cockpits, simply because we played FC3, LockOn or even Flanker 1/2 way before DCS came in.

A new DCS customer who got attracted by its most famous feature, clickable cockpits, is not informed about FC3 aircraft clickability lack in the shop. See below:

A10_shop.png

I'll ask the team about this.

• Like 2

Don't accept indie game testing requests from friends in Discord. Ever.

I did read the manual and as far as I know, I followed all the steps.   The cannon is selected (C).   The cockpit shows the weapons controls are armed.  The control is mapped.  I will re-read it slower and see if I missed something.

For example on the A10C,  one time I took off and did “everything right” but forgot my gear and flaps.   If the plane is in a landing configuration (gear down, flaps down), I believe there’s a relay that prevents the GAU cannon firing.

The marketing text sometimes coyly refers to “simplified” operation, for the flaming cliffs models.    I am not sure I would call “non functional” simplified.   It’s simply “non functional cockpit”.  If anything that’s more complicated to use.

The instant action with the FC A10A looks like it will be fun once I sort out the “helmet fire” in my own brain.   The lack of a DSMS in the A10A should have made things simpler, as the weapons control panel on the A10A looks dead simple, but because you can’t interact with it directly, and because the names of the keyboard shortcuts must be learned to interact with it,  that’s NOT simpler.    Everything is simple when you’re used to it.  I’m a noob to FC, but I’ve played lots of sims.

Hey as of today (Oct 22, 2021) theres a Halloween Sale on.   Maybe if this thing is fun now is the time to buy FC.

I really do think this page should state "This module includes X flyable aircraft, but note that the cockpits, while 3D, are non-interactive and cannot be used with your mouse or with a VR system, the aircraft are meant to be flown and controlled by a combination of keyboard, and flight stick/hotas controls":

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/products/planes/flaming_cliffs/

9 hours ago, InitiatedAunt74 said:

I will re-read it slower and see if I missed something.

Maybe it's "7" key you're looking for. Don't give up. Even FC3 modules have a steep learning curve. It takes years for RL pilots. You'll get to it :thumbup:

• Like 1

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

I think you should buy Flaming Cliffs 3 on a sale. It is a great package and offers many many hours of fun.
It just works without any fuzz and minimal amount of bugs. All of the included modules uses same sort of bindings,
so once you learn one FC3 aircraft it is really easy to switch between them.

Just look at this list!

A-10A
F-15C
Su-25
MiG-29A
MiG-29G
MiG-29S
Su-27
Su-33
J-11

• Like 2

• 4 months later...
On 10/21/2021 at 5:00 PM, InitiatedAunt74 said:

Also they have the trial versions and it's free to try.   It looks to me, like the FC modules are bull<profanity> and annoying though. No cockpit clicky? What even is the point.  I guess I was expecting 90% of the stuff shown in the 3d Cockpit to NOT be simulated, but for some things like master-arm to be clickable.

Thought process was:

1.  I can't fire? Why?

I use my HOTAS throttle controller, 1st POV 5 way up for NAV, #1 keybinding, right for #7 ground, down for #6 a2a and gun funnel, etc., etc.  

• Like 1

" any failure you meet, is never a defeat; merely a set up for a greater come back, "  W Forbes

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that counts,"  Winston Churchill

" He who never changes his mind, never changes anything," 

MSI z690MPG DDR4 || i914900k|| ddr4-64gb PC3200 || MSI RTX 4070Ti|Game1300w|Win10x64| |turtle beach elite pro 5.1|| ViRpiL,T50cm2|| MFG Crosswinds|| VT50CM-plus rotor Throttle || G10 RGB EVGA Keyboard/MouseLogitech || PiMax Crystal VR || 32 Samsung||

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/23/2021 at 6:40 AM, Schmidtfire said:

I think you should buy Flaming Cliffs 3 on a sale. It is a great package and offers many many hours of fun.
It just works without any fuzz and minimal amount of bugs. All of the included modules uses same sort of bindings,
so once you learn one FC3 aircraft it is really easy to switch between them.

Just look at this list!

A-10A
F-15C
Su-25
MiG-29A
MiG-29G
MiG-29S
Su-27
Su-33
J-11

And my understanding is a lot of the aircraft on that list are popular on MP servers.

But like the OP already pointed out, the A10C has more of a learning curve which is a good reason to pick up FC3. I should help me get some of the basics down in the A10A before getting into the A10C.

• 3 weeks later...

Just get the C. You will get some negative training from FC3 A-10. That is one jet that I cannot imagine why it isn't a full fidelity module. 

Let me edit that. If you want the C model just get that. The A FC3 model doesn't model the Maverick missiles the same way the full fidelity C dose. Plus the HOTAS in the C model is kinda the core of the module, and the weapons are different. The biggest AT bomb you will use are the CBU-97. 

Edited by FlankerKiller
  • Like 1