DCS now supports OpenXR natively

BIGNEWY

Question. Is there a way to check if you are running in OpenXR after the game is running?

Edited by Hartsblade
  • Like 1

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D 8-Core Processor | Asus TUFF nvidia GeForce RTX 4090 OC | Asus ROG Crosshair VII Dark Hero | 64GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600 RAM | Windows 10 Pro x64 | Virpil MT-50 CM2 Throttle | Virpil Alpha on WarBRD base |  Virpil Ace 1 Rudder Pedals | Saitek Pro Flight Throttle Quadrant (x2) |Acer x34 P 3440 x 1440 | Valve Index VR | DCS on NVME

59 minutes ago, Hartsblade said:

Question. Is there a way to check if you are running in OpenXR after the game is running?

I use the Openxr-Toolkit. That only works ingame if you are on openxr. 

And I have a Reverb G2. So if SteamVR doesn't start and my Headset is working I must be on Openxr. 

Edited by Gadreel
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, halufpv said:

I'm still praying for the ability to swap between VR and non-VR without having to close the game, like MSFS can do. So many bugs with the VR runtime would be a non-issue if you could just pop in and out to restart the VR engine

+1 this would really be helpful.

Edited by Ready

I fly an A-10C II in VR and post my DCS journey on Is your phone a YouTube Signature Device? - Gizmochina     |   Subscribe to my DCS A-10C channel   

Come check out the 132nd Virtual Wing                                   |   My 4090 VR Performance Optimization  
SYSTEM SPECS: Ryzen 7 5800X3D, RTX4090, Varjo Aero, VKB Gunfigher MKIII MCG Ultimate with 10cm extension,VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle, VPC Control Panel #2, TM TPR Rudders. 64GB RAM, W10, Gametrix Jetseat, PointCTRL (currently broken), OpenKneeboard, Wacom Intuos.

132nd.Ready_Signatur.png

Or as @RealDCSpilot says, open your dcs.log and find the line with OpenXR like this:

VISUALIZER (Main): LAUNCH IN VR OpenXR: SteamVR/OpenXR : oculus

After re-installation with almost all the modules downloaded, works well, must better framerate so far (just dogfight a JF-17 in one of my of scenario), no ghosting, constantly >65 fps, very happy. See if the mods goes well. Fingers crossed.

Edited by VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants -- this is how I fly. We do not fly at treetop height, we fly between trees(TM)

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc9BDi-STaqgWsjNiHbW0fA

My simple missions: https://forum.dcs.world/topic/284071-vr-flight-guy-in-pj-pants-simple-missions/

NSRI - National Strategy Research Institution, a fictional organisation based on wordplay of Strategic Naval Research Institution (SNRI), a fictional institution appears in Mobile Suit Gundam UC timeline.

9 minutes ago, VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants said:

Or as @RealDCSpilot says, open your dcs.log and find the line with OpenXR like this:

VISUALIZER (Main): LAUNCH IN VR OpenXR: SteamVR/OpenXR : oculus

After re-installation with almost all the modules downloaded, works well, must better framerate so far (just dogfight a JF-17 in one of my of scenario), no ghosting, constantly >65 fps, very happy. See if the mods goes well. Fingers crossed.

Thanks

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D 8-Core Processor | Asus TUFF nvidia GeForce RTX 4090 OC | Asus ROG Crosshair VII Dark Hero | 64GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600 RAM | Windows 10 Pro x64 | Virpil MT-50 CM2 Throttle | Virpil Alpha on WarBRD base |  Virpil Ace 1 Rudder Pedals | Saitek Pro Flight Throttle Quadrant (x2) |Acer x34 P 3440 x 1440 | Valve Index VR | DCS on NVME

I use a Pimax 8Kx, and am using PimaxXR. My game seems to be working well. Haven't spent much time in-game yet, but it loads and lets me in, and seems to be running very smoothly. I think I saw it mentioned earlier in this thread, but its worth repeating - the key to getting it to work with PimaxXR was to update to the latest version, which is v0.3.0. I worked for a couple of hours last night trying to get it to work with no luck, but when I updated PimaxXR, it went right in. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Scuby said:

DCS OpenBeta with OpenXR + WMR Toolkit + WMR + Reverb G2 appears to work fine. 

With reprojection on or off?

• Like 1

AMD 5800X3D · MSI 4080 · Asus ROG Strix B550 Gaming  · HP Reverb Pro · 1Tb M.2 NVMe, 32Gb Corsair Vengence 3600MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · VIRPIL T-50CM3 Base, Alpha Prime R. VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Base. JetSeat

12 minutes ago, Baldrick33 said:

With reprojection on or off?

Reprojection on, in combo with most variants of AA makes for a wobly experience. And AA off makes for an equivalent shimmering pixellated cloud/horizon screen á la Microprose in 2012.
It is straight out unbelievable.

Edited by Moxica

ASUS ROG Strix B550-E GAMING - PNY GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming VERTO EPIC-X  - AMD Ryzen 9 5900X - 64Gb RAM - 2x2Tb M2 - Win11 - HP Reverb g2 - Oculus Quest 2 - Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS - Thrustmaster Pendular Rudder - 2X Thrustmaster MFD Cougar

So I’m getting ready to update all this and noticed my DCS/ob decktop shortcut has DCS updater.exe”  instead of DCS.exe”. Am I still able to put the force oxr command with this shortcut? 

Disregard I'm good to go. I just took the updater out. 

Edited by Burt

ALIENWARE R11 - I9 10900KF @ 5.1 GHz - M.2 NVMe 2TB - RTX3090  - XFURY 64GB -3400 MHz RAM

Monitor AW3420DW @ 120Hz - Virpil CM3 Throttle - TM TPR Rudder pedals - Virpil CM2 w/TM Hornet Stick Center - Monstertech Deck Mounts 

RealSimulator FSSB-R3 Lightning Base w/ F16SRGRH SideStick - VR user / Varjo Aero - Big Thx to mbucchia

Start Date April 2020 

1 hour ago, slughead said:

You need a space between the “ and the —.

thank you so much . I deleted the message since I found it was too blurred . Now the program acts normally.  Man , over the past 12 hours I felt I was on a roller-coaster. Bloody hell .

• Like 1

Granted this is a beta and we are all testers, at least we got a roll back/semi fix quickly.

My hope is ED can get to a point with OpenXR that another sim uses, where I launch in 2D and then can press an assigned key and OpenXR kicks in and I can be in 3D, there are so many benefits to this especially when mission editing, and I believe this has been implemented into the of OpenXR API to be able to do this.

• Like 1

By adding the parameters I was able to get it to work with my G2. I started going through the menus and I turned on Turbo mode. I got the warning about reproject not possible with turbo mode. my headset went black and DCS froze. I rebooted but now it crashes on start up. I used safe start/booth in the OpenXR companion tool and that allows me to start DCS again . But I can't change the settings in the OpenXR menu. It show running in safe mode. I also tried to turning off safe mode and reprojection in the OpenXR app, thinking that this way it will not interfere with the Turbo mode but that did not work either. 

I think that it remembers the turbo mode ON and there fore crashes. I was able to run it once before I changed the setting in the Toolkit. How do I reset all the settings while not being in safe mode. And no I can't access the menu as it crashes.

Thanks

AMD RYZEN 7 2700 / 32GB / RTX2070 / 500GB M.2 with Windows and DCS / 2 - 500GB SSD / Rift S/ TM Warthog with F18 stick and Virpil WarBRD / Foxx Mounts/ MFG Crosswind rudders + 3 MFD's | Now enjoying VR with PointCTRL controllers + Gamematrix JetSeat

6 minutes ago, DutchCoolHand said:

By adding the parameters I was able to get it to work with my G2. I started going through the menus and I turned on Turbo mode. I got the warning about reproject not possible with turbo mode. my headset went black and DCS froze. I rebooted but now it crashes on start up. I used safe start/booth in the OpenXR companion tool and that allows me to start DCS again . But I can't change the settings in the OpenXR menu. It show running in safe mode. I also tried to turning off safe mode and reprojection in the OpenXR app, thinking that this way it will not interfere with the Turbo mode but that did not work either. 

I think that it remembers the turbo mode ON and there fore crashes. I was able to run it once before I changed the setting in the Toolkit. How do I reset all the settings while not being in safe mode. And no I can't access the menu as it crashes.

Thanks

Turbo Mode and Reprojection does not currently work with native implementation of OpenXR in DCS. You can not reset settings outside of safe-mode. This is what safe-mode is for

To fix your issue see here: https://mbucchia.github.io/OpenXR-Toolkit/troubleshooting.html#start-in-safe-mode

Then here: https://mbucchia.github.io/OpenXR-Toolkit/troubleshooting.html#reset-all-the-settings

Okay, so I finally had time to play with this and I can report that with my Index adding the command line edits to force OpenXR decreases VR performance.

I set up 2 separate Shortcuts, one with the the command line edit --force_enable_VR --force_OpenXR and on with the default route running the Updater first.  After launching and flying for a bit noting performance I shut down and checked the Log to verify which API was launched.

I like to do my "testing" using the Spitfire on the Channel Map - Instant Action/Free Flight.  One of the challenges of this map is flying low level over populated areas, there is a huge performance hit vs flying at altitude or flying over open water.

With my current Settings I can keep a constant 60fps (or better) both at altitude and down low over populated areas using the default start, which launches into OpenVR.

With the Edited Start forcing OpenXR I still get a constant 60fps at altitude, but when I run down low over the buildings the FPS drops to 40 (or less).

This was a quick test and I'll spend some more time with it this weekend, but it looks like forcing OpenXR on a Valve Index is not the way to go.

30 minutes ago, nikoel said:

Turbo Mode and Reprojection does not currently work with native implementation of OpenXR in DCS. You can not reset settings outside of safe-mode. This is what safe-mode is for

To fix your issue see here: https://mbucchia.github.io/OpenXR-Toolkit/troubleshooting.html#start-in-safe-mode

Then here: https://mbucchia.github.io/OpenXR-Toolkit/troubleshooting.html#reset-all-the-settings

I was able to get to reset all the settings but how do you confirm that? I had it selected but did not seem to do anything

AMD RYZEN 7 2700 / 32GB / RTX2070 / 500GB M.2 with Windows and DCS / 2 - 500GB SSD / Rift S/ TM Warthog with F18 stick and Virpil WarBRD / Foxx Mounts/ MFG Crosswind rudders + 3 MFD's | Now enjoying VR with PointCTRL controllers + Gamematrix JetSeat

I run using vanilla Oculus VR mode from Steam.  The original patch killed by performance, and I'm not seeing any changes with the hotfix.  Is there a command line to absolutely ensure that OpenXR is NOT used?  I'd just like to get back to where things were before Wednesday.

56 minutes ago, DutchCoolHand said:

I was able to get to reset all the settings but how do you confirm that? I had it selected but did not seem to do anything

If you want to change or check Toolkit settings outside DCS, just open registry (regedit -> HKEY Current User -> Software -> OpenXR Toolkit -> DCS World) and change / check value. For example motion_reprojection 0 is default, 1 is always OFF and 2 is always ON. And if you want to reset all settings to default, just delete "DCS World" key and start DCS to set Toolkit settings again.

• Thanks 1

Asus Prime X570-P * Ryzen 5800X3D + Scythe Fuma cooler * RTX 4080 Super * Corsair 64GB DDR4 3600MHz * Samsung 980 pro 1Tb + 2Tb nvme * Samsung 850 EVO 512Gb SSD * Corsair RM850x V2/2018 * HP Reverb G2 * CH Fighterstick/Pedals/Throttle * Win11

Most if not all of the guys in our Discord with VR who I fly with most nights have resorted back to what they had prior to ED trying to implement OpenXR with this patch and the hotfix.

All have reverted back to using the Opencomposite or SteamVR method and running with MR running if they need it.

To me it seems ED haven't achieved anything yet with this OpenXR rollout except to cause confusion amongst its user base and some angst with users who were not tech savvy which wasn't helpful at all, it took a few of us quite some time trying to help others out and getting information from here to our Discord on what was working and what wasn't and getting them sorted out with a broken DCS install.

I do hope ED can learn from this and any future updates to OpenXR in a future patch make it easier for the lest tech savvy to use and understand, include instructions on what to do and what it means to them and also properly test it first before rolling out a massive change like this as it obviously it wasn't tested by many beta testers with VR as the MR issue would have been picked up very quickly.

OpenXR is a great change and very welcome, but we need a solid release with release notes and documentation of the changes from ED going forward.

Edited by Hotdognz
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 5

9 hours ago, Scuby said:

DCS OpenBeta with OpenXR + WMR Toolkit + WMR + Reverb G2 appears to work fine. 

It works only witout reprojection, so without = Always on. So you have disable. We know it here and it wasnt an issue, even on the first OB patch, before buggy hotfix.

Also no any software like WMR Toolkit, you did mistake in the name perhaps.

Edited by YoYo

Webmaster of http://www.yoyosims.pl

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Win 10 64, i9-13900 KF, RTX  4090 24Gb OC, RAM 64Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3600MHz,, 3xSSD+3xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5, [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro