Patch notes discussion thread 2022

BIGNEWY

10 hours ago, giullep said:

And i lost every keybinding for every module…i must restar manually to bind every module (f-14 f-16 f-18 ah-64 mi24…) absurd..

To anyone reading this, I highly suggest creating a folder on your desktop or wherever you want it and label it backup DCS key binds.  Then, as time permits, go into your DCS settings and control tab, and start saving each aircrafts key binds to that folder.  I know it it time consuming, but it prevents the above headache.  I just upgraded to a PCIe SSD for 2.8 and had to entirely move DCS over.  I saved ALL aircraft profiles into a backup folder.  You have to go column by column in each aircraft to save your bindings.  I labeled each saved profile by the aircraft name then column name...exp F16 Throttle, F16 Joystick, F16 Keyboard.  Then, as I started flying on the new SSD, as I chose an aircraft to fly, it took less than 2 minutes to load the profiles.  You can do the same for the axis I believe.  

Not absurd, just standard.  If you have been flying DCS long enough now, you should know that any major update might bring changes to the key binds.  I would rather reload a profile for an improved experience in DCS and additional functionality, than expect the company to work around my needs of saving my key binds.  Proper preparation prevents piss poor performance.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, Devil 505 said:

To anyone reading this, I highly suggest creating a folder on your desktop or wherever you want it and label it backup DCS key binds.  Then, as time permits, go into your DCS settings and control tab, and start saving each aircrafts key binds to that folder.  I know it it time consuming, but it prevents the above headache.  I just upgraded to a PCIe SSD for 2.8 and had to entirely move DCS over.  I saved ALL aircraft profiles into a backup folder.  You have to go column by column in each aircraft to save your bindings.  I labeled each saved profile by the aircraft name then column name...exp F16 Throttle, F16 Joystick, F16 Keyboard.  Then, as I started flying on the new SSD, as I chose an aircraft to fly, it took less than 2 minutes to load the profiles.  You can do the same for the axis I believe.  

Not absurd, just standard.  If you have been flying DCS long enough now, you should know that any major update might bring changes to the key binds.  I would rather reload a profile for an improved experience in DCS and additional functionality, than expect the company to work around my needs of saving my key binds.  Proper preparation prevents piss poor performance.  

another thing to try is make a copy of the entire CONFIG folder "CONFIG.date" DCS Update Witching Utility by Bailey has buttons to do this too. https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3315428/

• Like 4

AKA_SilverDevil AKA Forums My YouTube

“It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.” — Mark Twain

20 hours ago, Art-J said:

Keep in mind patch notes mentioned improved AI behaviour only while landing in pairs, not in other flight or combat scenarios, so even though notes are always incomplete, it's unlikely other changes were made.

patch notes state : 

• WWII AI warbirds: improved behaviour and fixed collision during landing in pairs

The key word here is "AND" which implies there are additional changes as well as the specified pairs collision fix. 

Edited by funkster
  • Like 2

I'm not sure if this is a bug, but is the new FLIR option "COLD AT START" supposed work only for mission start, but not for late activation? I was hoping it would enable us to fly somewhere for a couple minutes and then spawn a HOT target, visible in FLIR. However at this point it seems to work only at mission start, any unit activated later with trigger will spawn as if it was cooling down from the time the mission started.

Below is the difference between spawning SA-9 about 5 minutes after mission start (LEFT) and spawning SA-9 a few soconds after the mission start (RIGHT), both of them are set up as LATE ACTIVATION.

DCS 2022-10-30 18-24-35.JPG

• Like 2

Hello everyone,

As the title says, thank you ED for the improvements to the A.I. jets flight model !

The logic is much better and realistic now, angles & energy fight, etc.

Being myself essentially a single player kind of user, this realy made ACM against several different jets considerably more immersive and therefore, interesting.

Also, nice touch now adding the Magnetic heading and True Heading, (and in different colours) at the bottom screen info bar.

However, I just got surprised when landing my F-14 at the CV-59, when I got the following message :

" Forrestal damaged 1 % "

And with 1500+ Carrier Landings, I thought I was the best F-14 pilot in the world ?

• Like 1

Hangar
FC3 | F-14A/B | F-16C | F/A-18C | MiG-21bis | Mirage 2000C ... ... JA 37 | Kfir | MiG-23 | Mirage IIIE
Mi-8 MTV2

system
i7-4790 K , 16 GB DDR3 , GTX 1660 Ti 6GB , Samsung 860 QVO 1TB

Absolutely stunning detail on the new 3D models for Mariana Islands map. I really like that you took this map to that level of accuracy!! Absolutely well done, thank you ED.

Intel i7-13700KF :: ROG STRIX Z790-A GAMING WIFI D4 :: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB ::  MSI RTX 4080  Gaming X Trio  :: VKB Gunfighter MK.III MCG Ultimate :: VPC MongoosT-50 CM3 :: non-VR :: single player :: open beta

I see some polishing in VR hangar as well, nice. Actually all hardened shelters got updated in Caucasus.

Clouds and VR rain are superb.

PG is missing long distance lights. Pole lights are pretty and very welcome. Now add secondary shadows like for SC and it'll finally look good at night.

Edited by draconus

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

Quite long loading times in some Syria missions with Apache (compared to 2.7) Single player. SSD. 32GB RAM. Steam. Metashaders and FXO cleaned. No mods. Something bad happened with 2.8 😞 Also notice some audio glitches and clouds show more shimmering while moving camera. Non VR.

Very much enjoying the new 2.8 patch.  No significant degradation in VR frametime for me.  Had the most marvelous session just setting up a new supercarrier mission with ACLS activated for the FA-18 and all the new weather on the South Atlantic map--super immersive and I love all the great changes to the mission editor!  Well done boys and girls at ED.  You may have a cookie!  AND WE LOVE THE SKELE'S!!! HAPPY HALLOWEEN!!!!

Edited by unltd

Ryzen 5950x PBO | MSI RTX 3090 | 32gb 3600 RAM | 2 x SSD | Quest 3 | TM Warthog

Is it only news for me, or everybody noticed that the frametime graph can be very spikey normally but it became super smooth if I start an instant mission with ANY airplane in cold and dark state? Which equals super smooth visuals in VR with the same details as when the simulation runs.

Now I can visualize why the devs are working so hard on the multicore development. Actually I became extremely hyped on the hopefully incoming MC news as it seems that switching on the idle cores in my CPU will literally make WONDERS!

• Like 1
  • PC: 10700K | Gigabyte Z490 | Palit 3090 GamingPro | 32GB | Win10
  • HMD: HP Reverb G2 | OpenXR @ 120% | OpenXR Toolkit: exposure, brightness, saturation | DCS 2.9: DLAA with Sharpening 0.5 (no upscaling)
  • Controllers: VKB Gunfighter MkIII base & 200 mm curved extension center mounted + TM F16 Grip / MCG Pro Grip | TM TFRP

Oh ED, how can I stay mad at you when you do stuff like this!!!

I am entertained. I am very entertained.

image.jpeg

Edited by Sandman1330
  • Like 6

Ryzen 7 5800X3D / Asus Crosshair VI Hero X370 / Corsair H110i / Sapphire Nitro+ 6800XT / 32Gb G.Skill TridentZ 3200 / Samsung 980 Pro M.2 / Virpil Warbrd base + VFX and TM grips / Virpil CM3 Throttle / Saitek Pro Combat pedals / Reverb G2

Regarding the new lighting on PG which is really nice, do the 3rd party devs have to update their maps with the new lighting or does ED do this, if its 3rd party is it a contractual requirement that they do this of can they ignore this new lighting and leave the maps in there current 2.7 state

• Like 1

Saw something odd with the F16 GM radar. Pretty sure it was not like that before. Looking at Tunb island this weekend, it wasn't rendering nicely to start with but also when I moved the cursor, the island would move with the cursor and then sometimes 'snapped' either back where it was or would move to the offset. I will try to make a short video tonight.

With the price of ammunition these days do not expect a warning shot.

Just did a mission with the SC and was pleasantly surprised to hear that Marshal now calls out the correct callsigns! :thumbup:

Spoiler

For anyone unfamiliar with them:

• CVN 71 USS Theodore Roosevelt: "Rough Rider"
  • CVN 72 USS Abraham Lincoln: "Union"
  • CVN 73 USS George Washington: "Warfighter"
  • CVN 74 USS John C. Stennis: "Courage"
  • CVN 75 USS Harry S. Truman: "Lone Warrior"
  • Like 4

Modules I own: F-14A/B, F-4E, Mi-24P, AJS 37, AV-8B N/A, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

20 hours ago, Fercyful said:

Quite long loading times in some Syria missions with Apache (compared to 2.7) Single player. SSD. 32GB RAM. Steam. Metashaders and FXO cleaned. No mods. Something bad happened with 2.8 😞 Also notice some audio glitches and clouds show more shimmering while moving camera. Non VR.

Same here. Both audio glitching and MUCH longer load times.  Also when spawning in it takes sometimes up to half a minute before all terrain and cockpit textures have loaded. 
In general much worse FPS too. This patch made DCS run so so much worse over all.

• Like 1

GPU: PALIT NVIDIA RTX 3080 10GB | CPU: Intel Core i7-9700K 4,9GHz | RAM: 64GB DDR4 3000MHz
VR: HP Reverb G2 | HOTAS: TM Warthog Throttle and Stick

I can't believe the settings I'm getting away with; Max, Ultra, Highest etc.. And still having the framerate of a 90's soap opera.
(Yes, I'm thinking of you "The bold and the beautiful)  😛 
This is in "my reference" mission, not being to demanding, and is in Caucasus. But still!
Saturday was a nightmare, but yesterday, and today. What has happened?
Love that moon, by the way.

MOONUntitled-1.jpg

• Like 11

ASUS ROG Strix B550-E GAMING - PNY GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming VERTO EPIC-X  - AMD Ryzen 9 5900X - 64Gb RAM - 2x2Tb M2 - Win11 - HP Reverb g2 - Oculus Quest 2 - Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS - Thrustmaster Pendular Rudder - 2X Thrustmaster MFD Cougar

12 hours ago, Moxica said:

Love that moon, by the way

Yes it really is excellent

MSI Z690 EDGE | i5 12600K | RTX 3070 TUF OC 8GB | Kingston Fury Renegade 32GB 3600MHz CL16 | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 |SilverStone 1000W Strider 80+ Platinum PSU | LG 34GN850 UWQHD 160Hz G-Sync HDR IPS 34in Monitor | Antlion Audio ModMic Uni-Directional Microphone with Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO Closed Back Studio Headphones | Behringer Xenyx 302USB Mixer | Virpil T-50CM3 Throttle | DELANCLiP head tracking | Gunfighter Mk.III MCE Ultimate | Crosswind Pedals | W10

On 10/29/2022 at 2:14 AM, ZZZZ said:

I was planning to spend around 1500-2000 bucks on new sim equipment, HOTAS, pedals and such in the near future. But looking how legit simmers get sticks thrown between their feet because of some PvP kids cheat changed my mind. I apparently can't thrust if i can still make use of that investment in a month or not. So i'll spend it on something reliable (not DCS related). Just to show consequences of such silly decisions.

For your "biG PicTUre eH?" Mr. clever: think everyone including you should be banned from entering stores because people steal. Not saying YOU steal, but... you know, the bad apples 🤡

Yeah...  I'm with you on the meta of the subject.  Don't shoot the messenger :).

I'm just trying to tell you that this is how gaming works.  F-Wits cheat, players don't like it, devs try to fix it so the vast majority of their non f-wit user base isn't getting effed over.  This isn't my fault.  This isn't ED's fault.

As has been said... it's optional.  Also...  Id bet that server admins can directly approve specific files just like I believe they can or could before.  I don't run a server so I'm not 100% sure, but as I recall server admins have a way of basically whitelisting a set of files for approved mods.

Also...  trying to use this as an excuse to not buy sim hardware???  Meh...  go get a keyboard that can do the macros for you friend...  a solution was already suggested but you glossed right over it.

Why?  Maybe that solution doesn't solve YOUR problem???? OK...

Also...  that $1500-$2000 worth of sim hardware...  Many of those devices can do macros or be programmed to press a macro button on the keyboard so...  yeah problem solved man :).

You're welcome.

Unless...  That doesn't solve YOUR problem...

But I don't know anything about that...  I'm just throwing out solutions (and will likely still get attacked by you for doing so) that should solve this "problem" for 99% of people...

• Like 1

Nvidia RTX3080 (HP Reverb), AMD 3800x

Asus Prime X570P, 64GB G-Skill RipJaw 3600

Saitek X-65F and Fanatec Club-Sport Pedals (Using VJoy and Gremlin to remap Throttle and Clutch into a Rudder axis)

Will we get a quick patch to fix all the broken stuff introduced by this patch that were not in 2.7, not meaning the VR framerates and new weather, or will we have to wait a month while ED fixes up this mess.

for instance
KA50 cockpit mess
constants CDT's that are reported that were not around in 2.7

I know its beta but all the MP servers are on beta.

• Like 2

• ED Team

When we have looked at the data from 2.8 and made some fixes we will have a patch. As soon as we are ready I will update the patch status post as usual. 

Please remember open beta is a public test build, we use it to test in public to get wider feedback from you all, so expect disruption especially when we jump versions as we have to 2.8 

The team continue to fix and tweak. 

note: please stay on topic here - this is for discussion of the patch notes. 

thank you

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Update:

I have found turning Terrain Object Shadows OFF gives a little relief.  I have also noticed the weird effect where the shadows of aircraft and other vehicles is "inverted" so to speak. Not being cast by the object, but onto the object depending on the view angle.

• Like 1

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3600| MSI RTX 4080 16GB Ventus 3X OC  | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB NVME | HP Reverb G2 | DIY Head Tracker Cap | Logitech X-56 throttle | VKB NXT Premium |  Win 11

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

--Arthur C Clark

@BIGNEWY

With the shadow bug it feels like the z-buffer (I think that's what it's still called??) is being lost on all the shadow's information so it's now trying to render all shadows including ones behind objects that it wouldn't have before.

• Like 1

Nvidia RTX3080 (HP Reverb), AMD 3800x

Asus Prime X570P, 64GB G-Skill RipJaw 3600

Saitek X-65F and Fanatec Club-Sport Pedals (Using VJoy and Gremlin to remap Throttle and Clutch into a Rudder axis)

• ED Team
9 minutes ago, M1Combat said:

@BIGNEWY

With the shadow bug it feels like the z-buffer (I think that's what it's still called??) is being lost on all the shadow's information so it's now trying to render all shadows including ones behind objects that it wouldn't have before.

yes and should be fixed in the hotfix patch

• Like 4

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2