Patch notes discussion thread 2022

BIGNEWY

4 minutes ago, IR Sky said:

Simple arithmetic. 45-15=30 fps. SteamVR. 3080ti. The configuration has not changed. Just an update. Great improvement..

Same over here but with oculusVR and a 1070. Lost around 15 to 20 FPS over all altitudes and even if i just look up in the sky with no clouds or objects in view

Main Module: AH-64D

Personal Wishlist: HH-60G, F-117A, B-52H

vor 1 Minute schrieb Convexrook:

VIACOM pro broken, Default Comms menu not showing up for me.

Concur. VAICOM completely unusable. Which for me is a big deal, as especially the AIRIO extension was a game-changer, especially in VR. 

@NineLine @BIGNEWY I realize 3rd party apps don't fall under ED's "jurisdiction", but it would be great if the team could maybe look into what change restricted Vaicom's access to the game and if that change maybe could be reversed, or whether Vaicom users could manually change some lua file to make the software work again. Thanks.

• Like 4

I cleaned my install (to switch from OpenXR to steam) and that did fix comms. So maybe SRS broke comms?

Edit: Nope, SteamVR was *not* an improvement on openXR. Au contraire. The cleaning did fix the comms tho. Must have been one of the other mods I did to my game that broke it. SRS still highly suspect.

Edited by schurem

I5 9600KF, 32GB, 3080ti, G2, PointCTRL

My VR report, once i set it all back to where my VR settings were prior to release (Save 3) my VR experience was no different except I had a little more headroom on FPS, when I started DCS it had defaulted to a very high preset which cut my FPS down in VR.

AS always shadows knocked some FPS from VR so they are all off again, it would be nice to know what VR optimization was made and in what areas so I could adjust accordingly and experimnet in those areas.

4 hours ago, Gunfreak said:

No it's not

Don't know the M399 is up on the steam page, but no update.

well must of been a typo, because it did say 05/10/2022, now it stats 28/10/2022. 

" any failure you meet, is never a defeat; merely a set up for a greater come back, "  W Forbes

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that counts,"  Winston Churchill

" He who never changes his mind, never changes anything," 

MSI z690MPG DDR4 || i914900k|| ddr4-64gb PC3200 || MSI RTX 4070Ti|Game1300w|Win10x64| |turtle beach elite pro 5.1|| ViRpiL,T50cm2|| MFG Crosswinds|| VT50CM-plus rotor Throttle || G10 RGB EVGA Keyboard/MouseLogitech || PiMax Crystal VR || 32 Samsung||

1. The IC "This is an optional setting that  will block mods that modify files in    DCSWorld/Mods/aircraft/<MOD_ID>/Cockpits/Scripts to prevent exploits." Make no sense. Why should we manually change the CHAFF/FLARE programs every flight?! How is that cheating?! 

2. The F10 new features are AWESOME! Please continue developing the ME and the F10 map... It so important! 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, NineLine said:

Depends on your system and how you test I suppose.

I ran a simple downloaded mission, Helicopter agility testing with the Mi-24 earlier today pre patch. This runs easily at a steady 45 fps on my PC with a Reverb G1 using OpenXR

I updated and ran the same mission and it is (IMHO) unplayable in VR, I use motion reprojection and it didn't feel like I was even reaching the lowest level of 22 in OpenXR.

I haven't touched any settings - maybe there is a new setting in 2.8 that needs adjusting?

Edited by Baldrick33

AMD 5800X3D · MSI 4080 · Asus ROG Strix B550 Gaming  · HP Reverb Pro · 1Tb M.2 NVMe, 32Gb Corsair Vengence 3600MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · VIRPIL T-50CM3 Base, Alpha Prime R. VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Base. JetSeat

Well done ED! The new eye adaptation technique works great and everything looks far better under heavy clouds. Also the option to start AI vehicles hot/cold is much needed improvement for the FLIR! It seem the update didn't brake anything major on my end too, so that's nice👍🏻

• Like 1

OK, so this a very simple but measurable comparison. Previously post 2.8 86 FPS in Hornet ready on the ramp, admittedly using @Taz1004 modified Kegetys shader mod. Post 2.8 with no shader mod (causing compile errors in 2.8) 61 FPS, not great tbh.... So unless there's a logical explanation of why, then it's a rollback for me personally.  I'm assuming there's no moving clouds in the quick start mission, it's the same mission as was in latest 2.7 OB and Kegetys never gave me 20FPS

Edited by zildac
  • Like 1

12900KF | Maximus Hero Z690 | ASUS 4090 TUF OC | 64GB DDR5 5200 | DCS on 2TB NVMe | WarBRD+Warthog Stick | CM3 | TM TPR's | Varjo Aero

56 minutes ago, schurem said:

I cleaned my install (to switch from OpenXR to steam) and that did fix comms. So maybe SRS broke comms?

Edit: Nope, SteamVR was *not* an improvement on openXR. Au contraire. The cleaning did fix the comms tho. Must have been one of the other mods I did to my game that broke it. SRS still highly suspect.

Yeah - my comms were broken too and a complete repair fixed it...

PC: Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming | AMD Ryzen 7800X3D | Palit GeForce RTX 4090 Game Rock OC | 64 GB Patriot VIPER VENOM DDR5-6000

Input: Brunner CLS-E FFB Base | Thrustmaster Warthog Joystick & Throttle | Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder | WinWing Phoenix MIP (VR) - F16 ICP - PTO2 | VPC SharKA-50 Collective 

VR: HP Reverb G2

Motion-Platform: Motionsystems PS-6TM-150 | Monstertech MTX

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/@madmontys6dofmotionplatfor386/featured

First impression: With my Quest 2 and a 3090 there is no noticeable performance decrease. Tested two standard missions, on a carrier night with a lot of aircraft’s on deck and also the standard dogfight mission. Shadow on Low and Flat. 

12700k | 3090 | 64GB DDR4 | WD SN850X | Quest 3

1 hour ago, ZZZZ said:

Modifying the macro_sequencies.lua now breaks IC 🤡🤡🤡

Customized it to set the lighting panel, intercom and RWR volumes in the A-10C. Also corrected the start up sequence as the vanilla is incorrect (exterior lights, pitot heat, ejection seat arm and such) and deleted all the spam text outputs.

RIP multiplayer i guess. Well played.

33 minutes ago, nickos86 said:

1. The IC "This is an optional setting that  will block mods that modify files in    DCSWorld/Mods/aircraft/<MOD_ID>/Cockpits/Scripts to prevent exploits." Make no sense. Why should we manually change the CHAFF/FLARE programs every flight?! How is that cheating?! 

2. The F10 new features are AWESOME! Please continue developing the ME and the F10 map... It so important! 

This so much. Why, just why would you do this. Cockpit scripts are absolutely neccessary. IC the specific files that allow cheating, not all of them because we need to edit some of them!

• Like 5

Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity.

Early days but some noticeable improvements while testing in SP mode. MP tests tomorrow. 

Downsides 10-15 fps drop across multiple maps but still playable but with the occasional freeze for 1-2 seconds. Also looking down at the ejection handle in the F16 the shadow from the aircraft that should sit below the aircraft fuselage is superimposed over the cockpit instruments. Shadows already set to Low and Off so not sure where to gain back fps without reducing other settings. 

Summary: some nice cosmetic improvements at the expense of performance. 

Ryzen 5950X, MSI  RTX 3080TI, 1 TB SSD, 64GB 3600 MHZ DDR4 RAM, Pimax Crystal and 8KX KDMAS. WINWING F16EX Throttle: FSSB-R3-MKII ULTRA Base/TMWH Joystick: DCS: F16C

Wow! the new raindrops look amazing in VR!! Great job ED!

Finally you can now properly see drops washing down the canopy and also the view outside is much more blurred and jagged, like it is in real life during heavy rain.

(too bad the cripple my low-end-ish system, but it still looks great 😅)

The rain drop effect transition from stand still to high speed (during tak-off) does need some more attention though 😏. Right now, just before the rain effect fades away, it looks like little artifacts

Edited by sirrah
  • Like 2

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

What should I be looking for in PG lighting improvements? My main issue was the draw distance was so close that at 40k feet only cities directly under you were visible so unless you banked the plane you were always in a sea of darkness. This looks the same even at "extreme" Im getting about 15miles of visibility before lighting fades to black.

Is there any settings I should double check?

This is also with Vr 

Q2 VR went from a constant 45fps per eye (headset running at 90hz) to 39-41 over Ramad David and with a noticable 'flicker' when you roll the jet with full stick deflection and looking at your 3-9. Was silk smooth in previous version. Haven't tested Vaicom yet but read it's broken too which would be a bummer as well! 

Edited by RogueRunner
  • Like 2

With the price of ammunition these days do not expect a warning shot.