Why do you fly FC3?

draconus

Why do you fly FC3?  

153 members have voted

1. 1. What is the main reason that you fly Flaming Cliffs 3 aircraft while there are other full fidelity DCS modules with the same or comparable roles?

• I like the specific aircraft that is simulated, not available otherwise.
    • I like the simplified systems and operation form.
    • I like the low price.
    • Other - please comment.

I started "DCS" with LOMAC and Flaming Cliffs 1 & 2 in the early 2000s. Still getting a kick out of how different and sometimes similar DCS full fidelity vs FC3 planes feel. I would pay $10 for an updated/refreshed FC3 with the graphics and instruments.   Updating FC3 is not a priority of ED and I am happy to see ED focus on Core Game Fixes and Vulcan API, DLSS, and FSR.  That said if there was a developer that wanted to make some FC3-style planes it would be fun to see what they came up with. 

Cheers

• Like 3
  • Do not own:  | F-15E | JF-17 | Fw 190 A-8 | Bf 109 |
  • Hardware:  [ - Ryzen7-5800X - 32GB - RX 6800 - X56 HOTAS Throttle -  WINWING Orion 2 F16EX Grip - TrackIR 5 - Tobii 5C - JetPad FSE - ]

I don't. I have bought this, but the LoFi turns me off so much that I never touched it again.

i7 - 9700K | 32 GB DDR4 3200 | RTX 2080 | VKB Gunfighter Mk II /w MCG Pro | Virpil T-50CM2 Throttle | TrackIR 5 | VKB Mk. IV

AJS-37 | A/V-8B | A-10C | F-14A/B | F-16C | F-18C | F-86F | FC3 | JF-17 | Ka-50 | L-39 | Mi-8 | MiG-15bis | MiG-19 | MiG-21bis | M2000-C | P-51D | Spitfire LF Mk. IX | UH-1H

The main reason is to fly aircraft that aren't available otherwise. But apart from that, I rarely fly them - I don't see much enjoyment outside of instant action style missions compared to a full-fidelity aircraft.

• Like 3

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

They are fun in PVP and the MIG-29 is a real challenge to fly. It would be great, if they were FF, but it's also fun without them. There's the "FC3 clickable" mod, which makes it somewhat clickable. If ED would show some love to the FC3 aircraft and update the textures/2D models and animations and fix the bugs, FC3 would be really awesome. Even without FF.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I find I`m now flying more and more in VR so the FC3 modules are great for me as they dont require fiddling with the mouse in VR which i find a real pain and takes me out of the immersion or trying to squint into MFDs. Using my Warthog HOTAS and two button boxes on my rig means i dont ever have to reach for the mouse at all now.

The A10-A is still one of my favourite modules, considering i also own the A10-C.

Edited by EcosseFlyer

Wookie

My Rig: AMD Ryzen 3600XT@4.4GHz+ || MSI B450 Tomahawk Max || MSI RTX 2060 Gaming Z || 32GB Corsair Vengance DDR4 RAM@3200 || 32" Monitor || Win 10 Home || TM Warthog HOTAS || Logitech ProFlight Pedals || TrackHat Clip || Rift S

Modules: A-10C & A-10C II || KA-50 2 & 3 || FC3 || CA || UH-1H || AV-8B || L-39 || F-86F || F-5 II || Mi-8 || M-2000C || F/A-18 || SA-342 || Super Carrier || F-14A/B || AH-64D

Maps: Caucasus || NTTR || Persian Gulf || Marianas || Syria

I began with FC3 back in 2016 then moved on the hornet when it released then F-14, F-5E and mained the F-16 when it released too in late 2019. I was interested in the deeper learning curve from FF but one day back in 2021 I randomly flew the eagle back and was amazed by how she was sensitive and powerful (as I said I was maining an electric FCS jet so it made a big difference in terms of flight feelings). I noticed the combat perfs of the eagle (That were not that great back in the days of F-14/16/18 release because the radar was underperforming and I was looking for that clicky thing) and as an A/A player I felt in love for them and now I'm maining it as a Japanese eagle from the 204th TFS since two year now (I fly her almost every day and barely fly again FF except the F-5 wich gaves me the same vibes and flight feelings than the eagle).

Even though the Strike Eagle is out, I'd remain 100% on the FC3 eagle till there is an FF of her because the flying philosophy of the F-15C is, in my opinion, despite having a SA page, she has a powerful radar, the TEWS (RWR and the ECM), and having to look often outside, some gauges that remind me old cars/trains and the flight controls alowing me to make the aircraft do what I'm asking to her (unless she's badly stalling/spining lmao but the engines can keep up!). While the strike eagle is in my opinion feeling like I'm in a hornet with a radar as powerful as the APG-63(V)1 onboard of the eagle (I know the APG-70 shares the same perfs) and with a similar thrust to weight ratio. It's asking me more to look inside the cockpit and not "enjoy the ride" and looking outside wich is crucial to me. Archaic cockpit with not that much tech and glass in it makes me feels ironicaly more "free", that's maybe why my favorite FF right now is the F-5E (she'll obviously be dethroned by an FF light grey eagle).

the fact that I can't interact with the cockpit is not a big deal since I binded a lot of things on my peripherics #homecockpitwannabe (even the pressure altimeter up and down binding), the only issue it does is that I can't setup TacAN or new waypoint in her during flight wich means I feel more like I'm nerfed, and of course the ramp start, wich is the most interesting to me in an FF jet while HOTAS is ruling. otherwise I enjoy her more than any 4th Gen FF plane in game.

Still that's a shame I have to play with a soundmod (Core by Echo-19) a customized cockpit (C@sper HD) to enjoy her more, vanilla she's awful to hear or watch while inside (worst at night with the 2008 backlighting). I even modified the Light.lua to correct the lights blinking patern to match with realilty (and the Strike Eagle...)

I hope the cohabitation with the Strike Eagle as the only FF won't last long because the contrast between these two aircrafts is noticeable and it's sad that the "low poly one" is the big brother, IRL and IG...

In summary, the C is good when you're looking for performances and flight feelings while the strike eagle feels more like the Hornet with the pros of the charlie eagle, minus naval capabilities and different flight perfs

I'm in my 70's and slowing losing physical and cognitive abilities. I once flew the F-18, P-51, and Mosquito.  Lately I have been flying the simpler A4-e Skyhawk.  Now I am looking at going to an even simpler aircraft like the A10-a. We come into this world naked, stupid, and helpless. For most of us, that is the way we will leave. Thank You ED for the FC-3 aircraft. 

I will add, it would be nice to have a FC-3 Carrier Aircraft like the F-18.  At one time I thought we might get one.

Edited by 4eyes
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, 4eyes said:

it would be nice to have a FC-3 Carrier Aircraft

You have Su-33 right there.

• Like 1

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

Like others have said, where else can one fly a Mig-29, or Su-27 series? Also the bonus of naval ops with the Su-33.  One of my high-time planes is the Su-25T. It's got weapon types no other module has. The Su-25A would get much more stick time if ED could ever fix that screwed up cockpit texture/modelling.....

With these Soviet/Russian aircraft, the repaint opportunities alone are worth the price. (Even though I often make up my own countries, and "what-if" schemes for all the modules I own)

And there are nights I just don't wanna deal with 34 radar modes, or 57 switch flips just to turn on the left nav light🥴

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/25/2023 at 12:08 PM, Gahab141 said:

Ff is fun until you have to start your engines for the 10th time a day. Thanks ED for the autostart

I never understood what was the point of auto-start. It basically makes a fully clickable aircaraft into a FC3 one.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

i5-4690K CPU 3.50Ghz @ 4.10GHz; 32GB DDR3 1600MHz; GeForce GTX 1660 Super; LG IPS225@1920x1080; Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB; Windows 10 Pro

13 minutes ago, Pavlin_33 said:

I never understood what was the point of auto-start. It basically makes a fully clickable aircaraft into a FC3 one.

that’s a gross over-simplification… full fidelity is much more than just a clickable cockpit, it has systems close to the real thing and each aircraft has its own controls, while on FC3 all aircrafts share the same controls.

• Like 2

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

At least when people use autostart they are actually using the starting procedure, even if automated. It can be a good instructoral tool, or for checking if your manual start-up is not quite working, to see if you are forgetting something.

Unfortunately there are many who just keep maligning FC well as any so-called  "cheats" in the DCS modules. They'd do better to just worry about how they want to fly and not about something that has zero effect on their own game. It's just vanity at the end of the day. Personally, I couldn't care less how or what anyone else wants to fly.

Some call it "arcade" which makes me doubt if they even know what arcade is, and are so quick to forget that without FC, DCS World may not exist, having been propped up by it's sales for years to start with, quite apart from the history behind the sim since LOMAC.

• Like 2

Kneeboard Guides

Rig: Asus B650-GAMING PLUS; Ryzen 7800X3D ; 64GB DDR5 5600; RTX 4080; VPC T50 CM2 HOTAS; SN-1 Pedals; VR = Pico 4 over VD Wireless + Index; Point Control v2

On 8/28/2023 at 1:04 AM, Rudel_chw said:

that’s a gross over-simplification… full fidelity is much more than just a clickable cockpit, it has systems close to the real thing and each aircraft has its own controls, while on FC3 all aircrafts share the same controls.

Well yes and no. I mean, starting engines in FC3 is a key combo which subtitutes RL procedure to get the engines running. So if you do the same using autostart, what is the difference? Also what's the diff. between FF and FC3 in: radar, ECM, flares, damage model, flight envelope?

FC3 also models systems, it just that most of the systems are accessible only through common key strokes. 

• Like 3

i5-4690K CPU 3.50Ghz @ 4.10GHz; 32GB DDR3 1600MHz; GeForce GTX 1660 Super; LG IPS225@1920x1080; Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB; Windows 10 Pro

30 minutes ago, Pavlin_33 said:

Well yes and no. I mean, starting engines in FC3 is a key combo which subtitutes RL procedure to get the engines running. So if you do the same using autostart, what is the difference?

The difference is that the FF actually has an electric system modeled, a fuel system, an hydraulic system, an engine starter, etc, etc ... all of which can be damaged on battle, unlike the FC3 aircrafts.

30 minutes ago, Pavlin_33 said:

FC3 also models systems, it just that most of the systems are accessible only through common key strokes. 

yes? ... like the radio that you don't even need to tune?  the weapons that you don't need to arm or config? the inexistent navigation systems (INS, Tacan, ILS, etc) ?

You can pretend that an FC3 module is just as realistic as a FF one, but you are just kidding yourself.

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB