DCS Update discussion February 2024

BIGNEWY

• ED Team
5 minutes ago, Qcumber said:

The increase in VR performance is amazing. I did a few of my test flights to see the difference. Last night I could run the 109 airfield defence on N2 at 45-72 FPS. I repeated it tonight at the same settings and got 60-90 FPS. Free flight over Cairo in the 109 I used to get around 35-45 FPS. Tonight I got 50-70!

I also noticed that eye tracking is a lot better for some reason. I think this must be due to landscape rendering (as YoYo says). Previously I had noticed a slight lag in rendering when eye tracking. This is now a lot better. 

I need to try Marinas next. 

great to hear, thanks for the feedback. 

• Like 1

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

36 minutes ago, BIGNEWY said:

not in this update, we are testing an updated version however internally.

great to hear you are seeing improvement. 

I don't have detail to share here, would need to ask. Its all magic to me as a non coder. 

Thank You! 🫡

Edited by ThorBrasil
  • Like 1

|Motherboard|: Asus TUF Gaming X570-PLUS,

|WaterCooler|: Corsair H115i Pro,

|CPU|: AMD Ryzen 7 3800X,

|RAM|: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200MHz DDR4,

|SSD|: Kingston A2000 500GB M.2 NVMe,

|SSD|: Kingston 2.5´ 480GB UV400 SATA III,

|SSHD|: Seagate Híbrido 2TB 7200RPM SATA III,

|GPU|: MSI Gaming 980Ti,

|Monitor|: LG UltraWide 34UM68,

|Joystick 1|: Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog,

|Joystick 2|: T.Flight Rudder Pedals,

|Head Motion|: TrackIr 5.

1 hour ago, ThorBrasil said:

@BIGNEWY Any chance to add the latest version of DLSS in the next update? The current one is 3.5.0 and the new one is 3.5.10. Thanks!

Just swap it in manually and try it out.

• Like 1

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

What a glorious patch. I had a *great* time blasting fools in the Su-27. She looks wonderful and the sim runs absolutely awesome. Congrats to the peeps at ED! Kharasho!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I5 9600KF, 32GB, 3080ti, G2, PointCTRL

1 hour ago, ThorBrasil said:

@BIGNEWY Any chance to add the latest version of DLSS in the next update? The current one is 3.5.0 and the new one is 3.5.10. Thanks!

https://www.techpowerup.com/download/nvidia-dlss-dll/

I have terrible ghosting with vr and mt im interested in trying this and seeing if there’s an improvement 

harrier landing GIFRYZEN 7 3700X Running at 4.35 GHz

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080Ti

32gb DDR4 RAM @3200 MHz

Oculus CV1 NvME 970 EVO

TM Warthog Stick & Throttle plus 11" extension. VKB T-Rudder MKIV

30 minutes ago, imacken said:

Just swap it in manually and try it out.

I'm not sure it works that way. I didn't notice much difference and got called out in another thread which basically said that the latest version of DLSS needs to be optimised for DCS. I'll try to find it and re-post it here.

Edit: I found it. 

"DLSS is binary compatible.  This means that you can replace the executable, but you don't get the new features.  There's another video from Digital Foundry on YT that covers DLSS 3.5 in Cyperpunk 2.0.  Check it out.  The newer, cleaner DLSS will not be available until the Dev's add the new features to the DCS engine."

https://forum.dcs.world/topic/343957-dlaa-vs-msaa-for-vr/?do=findComment&comment=5385512

Edited by Qcumber
  • Like 2

5800x3drtx407064Gb 3200: 1Tb NVME: Pico 4: Rift S: Quest Pro

3 hours ago, Bucic said:

Man... Can F-5E be any more dead? 😞

Strange way to spell Yak-52

• Like 8

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] DCS: The most expensive free game you'll ever play

Modules: All of them

System:

I9-9900k, ROG Maximus , 32gb ram, RTX2070 Founder's Edition, t16000,hotas, pedals & cougar MFD, HP Reverb 1.2, HTC VIVE

4 hours ago, Bucic said:

Man... Can F-5E be any more dead? 😞 The only significant update it is going to get for sure is the new landing gear physics... because every plane is in line for that particular update. The last one I recall was the engine sounds. That one was big (no sarcasm) indeed, considering the engine sounds upon release.

Speaking of audio. It was a high time for Dora. Any everyday Dora pilot here to record an updated audio demo?

There is a big update that is in development and should come out this year, I hope!

• Like 3

|Motherboard|: Asus TUF Gaming X570-PLUS,

|WaterCooler|: Corsair H115i Pro,

|CPU|: AMD Ryzen 7 3800X,

|RAM|: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200MHz DDR4,

|SSD|: Kingston A2000 500GB M.2 NVMe,

|SSD|: Kingston 2.5´ 480GB UV400 SATA III,

|SSHD|: Seagate Híbrido 2TB 7200RPM SATA III,

|GPU|: MSI Gaming 980Ti,

|Monitor|: LG UltraWide 34UM68,

|Joystick 1|: Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog,

|Joystick 2|: T.Flight Rudder Pedals,

|Head Motion|: TrackIr 5.

7 minutes ago, ThorBrasil said:

There is a big update that is in development and should come out this year, I hope!

Yep, i think on the November or December podcast Wags mentioned they work on the F-5, but i can not recall any estimate. Eventually they do them all, the Mi-8 saw some love too last year after so many years. They just did the FC3 aircraft. The F-5 will be on the carousel too at some point.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Schlingel mit Kringel said:

Yep, i think on the November or December podcast Wags mentioned they work on the F-5, but i can not recall any estimate. Eventually they do them all, the Mi-8 saw some love too last year after so many years. They just did the FC3 aircraft. The F-5 will be on the carousel too at some point.

In the future, I will see more old modules updated. I think with the Marianas WW2 release. WW2 modules and Assets pack will get an update.

• Like 2

A great update that deserves praise :)! :thumbsup: Marianas were unplayable for me in VR, currently I have a constant 72 frames here (max for 72Hz Quest Pro), amazing, before it stuttered like hell here. All maps have recived boost (still only the South Atlantic lags behind, unfortunately). Awsome! Im ready for Phantom! 😄

bTDVuMX.jpg

DVnkG12.jpg

• Like 4

Webmaster of http://www.yoyosims.pl

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Win 10 64, i9-13900 KF, RTX  4090 24Gb OC, RAM 64Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3600MHz,, 3xSSD+3xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5, [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

Nice update thanks.

Any update to the DCS Voice, I thought we were getting new code to fix the issue reported with the system rolled out a few months ago, our team was hoping to try it again as we like what we saw when we tried it, but couldn't work with it as it was.

31 minutes ago, Schlingel mit Kringel said:

https://forum.dcs.world/topic/332775-f-5e-art-update/?do=findComment&comment=5386585

Not really.

The F-18 feels so agile and powerful now. Cant really tell the difference when flaps changing their position in the nose up behaviour though, but overall it is really nice. Also landing in Atc mode on the carrier is a breeze now compared to the old model, where I had to fight the stick and the thrust behaviour, what ended often in a up and down pitch. Now it is easy and reliable and i will use it more often for carrier landings.

The Performance seems to be better so far, but i only tried offline so far. Will check tomorrow, when my favourite servers are back online.

DLAA has less ghosting for me and looks better and feels a bit more reactive.

Unfortunatly clouds still look very grainy and pixelated in far distance on my system, when sun sets or rises behind the cloud layers. Will hope for the future patches, maybe with vulkan to solve the problem..

Bur overall, it seems to be a realy good update!

Thanks ED!!

And now I cant wait for the next patch (Gib Phantom ;))

• Like 2

7 hours ago, unltd said:

Great patch.  Love the FA18 FLCS improvements!  Actually damage a left gear on landing!  Bravo Zulu!  Kneeboards!  Spitfire textures looking fine!

Whilst I agree that a number of things with the F-18 have definitely been improved, there are still 2 main issues which IMO are not great: 

1. It feels just as sluggish in roll as it did before. The newsletter stated that there should be more stability in both roll and yaw axis... that doesn't seem to be the case at all, unless other folk can see it? I can't. Real Hornets sure seem to roll sharper and have less residual roll once the stick is centered - this was the one thing I really hoped would get fixed... and I see no difference.

2. The crazy nose wobble is still a thing in some certain scenarios with rapid roll changes with a certain amount of alpha. This has plagued the FM since day 1... and it's still there 😞

Whilst I appreciate the much greater nose-down elevator authority and better ground physics and handling, and flaps and AoA characteristics, I feel like a key part of the FM is just not right. 

All IMO. Still very much appreciate the improvements 🙂

• Like 1

6 hours ago, BIGNEWY said:

we like to revisit our older modules, but we are not a huge company and resources are limited. When we have time we always look to update what we can, as you can see with the FC3 update, and others like the A-10C and BS3. I hope we can share more updates with you all in the future. 

thanks

thanks for the kind words, enjoy!

I was thinking not so much for me to fly but it might draw some new prop heads in the game and lead them to buy the modules especially with a free Mariannas map.    I have all prop planes and many other modules. I started with Lock on and Flaming cliffs when it started. Ooops I checked in store I already have Flaming Cliffs 3. Thanks for your time in answering my thought. 

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The new Hornet seems to go nose up a lot now at slow speeds to the point of having to push the stick forward to avoid stalling.

"You see, IronHand is my thing"

My specs:  W10 Pro, I5/11600K o/c to 4800 @1.32v, 64 GB 3200 XML RAM, ASUS RTX3060ti/8GB.

Nice F-16C free flight in caucus map get 167-300 fps depending on altitude at 4k DLSS quality and all settings and sliders at the maximum values on a 4090 and 14900K. I believe if I remember right pre update the same was about 140-280ish. will try VR later.

• Like 1

Would I be correct in that if you have been meaning to do a clean install now would be a good time?  As long as I backup my saved games folder all my mappings etc will be saved?
Thanks.

Waste of time. Do the update, then a slow repair. That's the same as a clean vanilla install.
Cheers!

Sent from my SM-A536B using Tapatalk

• Like 4

Same settings, same mission and same map, all I can say is woow!   No need to install optimized textures anymore because getting same high fps numbers with it or without it!

Thank you ED!

Edited by archer86
  • Like 2