32GB or 64GB?

C3PO

Is there a significant performance increase going from 32GB RAM to 64GB - in a system with a 5900X and 3090RTX? Is it worth the upgrade?

Now: Water-cooled Ryzen 5800X + 32GB DDR 4 3200 RAM + EVGA 3090 FTW3 Ultra 24 GB + Reverb G2 + Add-on PCI-e 3.1 card + 2x1TB Corsair M.2 4900/4200 + TM HOTAS Warthog + TM TPR Pendular Rudder  'Engaged Defensive' YouTube Channel

Modules: F/A-18C / AV-8B / F-16 / F-15E / F-4E (when it lands) / Persian Gulf / Syria / Nevada / Sinai / South Atlantic

Backup: Water-cooled i7 6700K @ 4.5GHz + 32GB DDR4 3200MHz + GTX 1080 8GB + 1TB M.2 1k drive & 250GB SSD drive 500MBps 4K 40" monitor + TrackIR 5

depends on the terrain and the texture settings , SYRIA can use massive amounts of RAM and as a result it requires a large page file (in VR) to accomodate 

• Like 1

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

YOUTUBE CHANNEL: @speed-of-heat

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

When I built myself a new PC a few years ago, I asked myself this: "Should I stick to 16GB or go for 32 GB?". At this time, most players were like "16 GB is more than enough".

Then I checked the memory price: it was ridiculously low. I then chose 32 GB. These days, I'm happy with my choice because I can fly over Syria without too much trouble.

• Like 5

Don't accept indie game testing requests from friends in Discord. Ever.

16 minutes ago, C3PO said:

Is there a significant performance increase going from 32GB RAM to 64GB - in a system with a 5900X and 3090RTX? Is it worth the upgrade?

Typical "it can't hurt" should apply but I wouldn't say you'll see "significant" performance increase.

RAM increase may prevent problems but is not really considered as performance upgrade.  I guess you can look at it as performance upgrade if it "prevents" significant performance decrease caused by running out of RAM.  But in normal circumstances, you wouldn't see significant improvement.

• Like 2

• ED Team

Depends on price for me, 32GB is more than enough for now, but if prices look good and I felt like treating myself I would consider 64GB 🙂

• Like 6

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

To be fair this thread is like buying a Veyron and asking if you should add the AC for 3k or not. If I could afford a 3090 and a 5900X (and even if - if those actually would be in stock somewhere on this planet!), I'd go ahead and plug 128 Gigs in there so I wouldn't have to worry about it at all, not even in 5 years.

• Thanks 2

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

no it wont, it will be quicker if you use dual channels, slot 0 and 1 with 2 x 32gb  IS slower than using slots 0 and 2 with 2 x 32Gb, because you are using both channels  in the latter and only 1 channel in the first. if you are using 0,2 with 2 x 32gb  and 0,1,2&3 with 4x16gb you are still using 2 channels it will be just as fast.

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero

I made the final decision back in November 2020 to go 64 GB for the new PC (WIP), I pretty much made that decision years back, but wasn't sure 100% until it was time to actually start purchasing a new PC, I knew it'll be worth it for many things, but only now I tried Syria and holy cow it takes all my current 32GB RAM and 40% of a 8GB Pagefile in one of the MP servers, as well as instant action mission.

But there's always a question of how much you want to have things cached and what type of optimization you prefer. However, if you ask me I think there's still room for optimization, I did some quick testing and I see some signs of that.

Edited by Worrazen

Modules: A-10C I/II, F/A-18C, Mig-21Bis, M-2000C, AJS-37, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, P-47, FC3, SC, CA, WW2AP, CE2. Terrains: NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf, Syria

I just bought the Syria Map. I haven't had a chance to to check out how much RAM it uses. Is it's current RAM usage going to be the status quo from now on or will it be optimized to use less than 32 GB of RAM?

As for 64 or 128, I would argue that more than 32 GB is nice to have but consider the cost of a high binned 32 GB kit with a 4000MHz+ XMP profile and a low CAS latency like 14. You have to have the right pairing of RAM and motherboard but if you get get those high frequency XMP profiles running stable that will increase performance. Diminishing returns applies of course, but if you already have the CPU and GPU with adequate cooling, RAM is where I'd look to next to squeeze out more performance. 

I remember that in one of the recent interviews (with Simon I believe) it was stated that the new incoming graphics engine would benefit from having 64GB of RAM. So that's what I went for when building my new system 🙂

Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset

Thanks for the link

I can find link that are not agree
It Seems there are a lot of combination to get the good choice.

AMD, Intel, and Motherboard manufacturer should give us the correct answer.

I noticed myself a little downgrade that i can see in VR ( FPS value , Windows needs was about 9 Gb RAM for my test )
on my intel machine when i upgraded from 16 to 32 ( one dual kit -> 2 dual kit , i added one dual kit with same memory specs )

I'll try to compare myself  1 dual kit vs 2 dual kit ( same total ) for my next machine.

• 4 weeks later...

I just upgraded from 32 to 64 and it was worth it. In Syria on a heavily populated server, I’m seeing up to 49 gigs being used. All my settings are maxed out. I would like to know if it is expected/normal for DCS to use almost 50 gigs of RAM. 

Was looking at Riva Tuner overlay which is total system usage, not specific to apps.

Edited by Fuzzysham

On 1/20/2021 at 7:40 PM, fab.13 said:

With only one dual kit ( 2 modules ) if possible ( 2 * 16 or 2 * 32 ).

It will be quicker than 2 dual kit ( 4 modules )

that is proven wrong with a ryzen 5000. those will profit from a 4-module setup.

The gain is marginal though, like the gain of 64 GB over 32 GB today.

I would say, if you can and want to afford it - go for it.

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

Im having 32GB an on a Syria-map (Trainingmap of our Squad) I often reach the max of 32GB, which results in heavy stuttering. Especially with the Tomcat since it seems to use more RAM than the Hornet. Maybe I have to go and buy another 32GB....

Anyone know, what game settings reduce RAM-usage? I tried a few and none had an effect.

turning terrain textures to low worked for me, but also increasing your pagefile size helps as well (make sure its on an SSD

If you are buying 32Gb of ram now, better buy the fastest you can, and just use those sticks, 32gb is more than enough and the difference between 32 and 64 is really not noticable, since no game should use more than 8gb of RAM (it will use more than 8 if your system is bottlencking somewhere), given your system is finely tuned. So better to have less but faster RAM then more and slower;P

• Thanks 1