DCS World Patch Notes Discussion Thread

BIGNEWY

The size of the download and the amount of free disk space will be different for everyone.

The Updater knows both of these things before it starts the actual process, so a message to advise you of this and give you a chance to move things around before it starts I think would be helpful to many people.

• Like 1

Again, the point is that they're requiring additional space on top of the ever-expanding permanent storage requirements. Which, BTW, could be optimized, 4K normal and specular maps don't provide any benefit over 2K, for example. Spreading the updates is a way to make the big ones less painful for users on a limited space budget. As the sim grows in size, the number of those will increase as well.

The updater could be much smarter about downloading and installing things than it currently is. Instead of message, it could stagger downloads, or even pull them to a secondary location on another drive, unpack them there and only install to the main drive. Steam does some of that, although it's not all that smart about it, either.

1 minute ago, Dragon1-1 said:

Again, the point is that they're requiring additional space on top of the ever-expanding permanent storage requirements. 

I'm not sure how the Steam version works, but for the standalone you can easily put the temporary update files on another HDD so that it doesn't require additional space on the SSD where your DCS is installed. (I used to do that when I had a smaller SSD dedicated to DCS and couldn't fit the temporary files from the update on it), see:

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Dragon1-1 said:

Again, the point is that they're requiring additional space on top of the ever-expanding permanent storage requirements. Which, BTW, could be optimized, 4K normal and specular maps don't provide any benefit over 2K, for example. Spreading the updates is a way to make the big ones less painful for users on a limited space budget. As the sim grows in size, the number of those will increase as well.

The updater could be much smarter about downloading and installing things than it currently is. Instead of message, it could stagger downloads, or even pull them to a secondary location on another drive, unpack them there and only install to the main drive. Steam does some of that, although it's not all that smart about it, either.

Just stop typing, please. What you're saying sounds selfish and ridiculous. So let's all get back on topic. 🙂

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

i9 9900k @5.1GHz NZXT Kraken |Asus ROG Strix Z390 E-Gaming | Samsung NVMe m.2 970 Evo 1TB | LPX 64GB DDR4 3200MHz

EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra | Reverb G1  | HOTAS Warthog | Saitek Flight Pedals

48 minutes ago, pimp said:

Just stop typing, please. What you're saying sounds selfish and ridiculous. So let's all get back on topic. 🙂

Intelligent and optimised asset and update handling is neither selfish nor ridiculous. It's just good business for everyone involved.

• Like 1

❧ ❧ Inside you are two wolves. One cannot land; the other shoots friendlies. You are a Goon. ❧ ❧

3 hours ago, Lurker said:

@speed-of-heat Hey Speed, did you notice any changes in the performance of the game in general, and in Syria in particular in VR compared to the previous few patches? 

I honestly have been working to hard to play much,  and i have been playing rather than testing when i can get  to the pc. i havent noticed any degradation on my game settings

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

YOUTUBE CHANNEL: @speed-of-heat

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

I will say, there appears to be LESS horizontal jaggy-ness in the distant clouds where they meet the horizon and against hill tops.(standard and high presets). Ultra look great, but come at a performance hit of 4-6 ms in frametime.

VR specifically

Capture.PNG

Edited by Sr.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3600| MSI RTX 4080 16GB Ventus 3X OC  | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB NVME | HP Reverb G2 | DIY Head Tracker Cap | Logitech X-56 throttle | VKB NXT Premium |  Win 11

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

--Arthur C Clark

1 hour ago, Tippis said:

Intelligent and optimised asset and update handling is neither selfish nor ridiculous. It's just good business for everyone involved.

My point exactly. Right now, I'm not in the market for any new maps or even modules. Even if I free up another 60GB on my M.2 (likely by kicking X-plane to another drive), Marianas map will eat it and I'll be back to square one. If they went and optimized their textures, we'd see a performance gain and significant storage space benefits.

Of course, those who think anyone without a 2TB SSD and a 3090 is a peon unworthy of the devs' attention will think it's ridiculous.

• Like 1

I guess it comes down to this:

a) this thread is about discussing the latest patch notes

b) a new thread would make sense to discuss the finer details of the release policy

c) showing the problem and proposing solutions would go a lot further than accusing and demanding

• Like 7
  • Thanks 4

Great update . Hind is so nice . 

• Like 1

Gigabyte - X570 UD ~ Ryzen - 5600X @ 4.7 - Pulse - RX-6800 -  XPG 32:GB @ 3200 - VKB - Gunfighter 4 - STECs - Throttle - Crosswinds Rudders - Trackir 5 .

I'm a dot . Pico Nero 3 link VR . @ 4k

Win 11 Pro 64Bit .

Stable Version

Currently version number: DCS 2.7.1.7139

Next update: To be announced

Open Beta Public testing build

Currently version number: DCS 2.7.2.7910.1 Open Beta

Next update: Fix patch Planned today 23 June 2021 ( subject to change )

-

Thank you

Edited by Phantom88
new info
  • Like 1

Patrick

mini.gif

1 minute ago, Phantom88 said:

Stable Version

Currently version number: DCS 2.7.1.7139

Next update: To be announced

Open Beta Public testing build

Currently version number: DCS 2.7.2.7910.1 Open Beta

-

Thank you

I wouldn't get your hopes up mate 😉 

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

Blimey!

Marianas Map release :)

• Like 5

System :-

i7-12700K 3.6 GHz 12 core, ASUS ROG Strix Z690-A Gaming, 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200MHz, 24GB Asus ROG Strix Geforce RTX 3090, 1x 500GB Samsung 980 PRO M.2, 1x 2TB Samsung 980 PRO M.2, Corsair 1000W RMx Series Modular 80 Plus Gold PSU, Windows 10. VIRPIL VPC WarBRD Base with HOTAS Warthog Stick and Warthog Throttle, VIRPIL ACE Interceptor Pedals, VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus Base with a Hawk-60 Grip, HP Reverb G2.

Yep, and the update is live but can't see any patch notes.

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

9 minutes ago, Furiz said:

Awesome, cheers!

Edited by Northstar98
  • Like 1

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

1 minute ago, Gryzor said:

Is there new cloud shadowing implemented with this patch? I saw in Mariana´s video new shadowing on the ocean

That's the thing that I'm expecting with more anticipation, since I fly most of the time over water. We will find out soon...

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Recluse said:

Anyone seeing the Marianas map? I don't see it  😞 or the Instant Action Missions mentioned for it. 

image.png

1 minute ago, Jafergon said:

I can't see the map. got a 700mb update on Steam, but no Marianas

Don't know if it's just steam being odd.

For the standalone, you have to update and then it'll show up in the module manager as a separate thing you need to install.

e:f;b

Edited by Tippis
  • Like 1

❧ ❧ Inside you are two wolves. One cannot land; the other shoots friendlies. You are a Goon. ❧ ❧