Ever bought an aircraft you did not fly at all?

Frag

I have completely different approach than you guys,

I like to learn the airplane in depth, I want to know the switches and why am I using them, I want know why is this JTAC asking me to do specific attack heading, I like details as well as flying, and I'm only interested in modern aircraft so for that reason

I only own Viper, Hornet + SC and Apache,

I have all maps except WW2, I love to fly around the maps and Ill probably buy all the upcoming maps,

and FC3 pack.

I hardly ever fly FC3 modules, I fly mostly in the Viper than Hornet, Apache is my relax module 🙂

On 12/5/2022 at 8:20 AM, fagulha said:

Yes. The Tomcat, it´s an outstanding module but since i bought it on day one maybe fly it a couple of times. Not my kind of aircraft systems wise.

I have the Tomcat, and rarely ever fly it single player. The 14 is best enjoyed with two humans flying it together in my opinion. That extends to other multicrew aircraft as well like the Mosquito and Apache.

For the single seat aircraft, there are some that I enjoy more than others and tend to stick with my favorites.

PC: MSI X670E, Ryzen 9 7900X, 64GB DDR5 RAM, RTX 3090 Ti, TM Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Pro Flight pedals, Opentrack

Link to my Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/DieselThunderAviation

Commander, 62nd Virtual Fighter Squadron

Join the 62nd VFS today! Link to our discord server: https://discord.gg/Z25BSKk84s

Patch_v1.2 small.jpg

I have 23 aircraft modules (counting FC3 as one), all the terrain modules and quite a few campaigns.  I haven't found any time for the Viggen, KA-50 and C-101. I've only done initial HOTAS set-up and cold start-up for F-5E, Gazelle and M2000. I buy all my modules on Steam, and transfer the licenses to Standalone - so no EDmiles for me 😞. I've previously put a lot of my time into the A-10C-II, FA-18 and F14. Really enjoying the Viper, Mosquito and AH64 at the mo. My helo ops are improving daily. I don't crash nearly as much as I used to 🙂.

1 hour ago, Diesel_Thunder said:

I have the Tomcat, and rarely ever fly it single player. The 14 is best enjoyed with two humans flying it together in my opinion. That extends to other multicrew aircraft as well like the Mosquito and Apache.

For the single seat aircraft, there are some that I enjoy more than others and tend to stick with my favorites.

Agreed. 

I´m a carrier ops guy so i´m all Hornet since my childhood (46 now), but, i´m loving learn new procedures with the Viper and flying it. Eager for the Eurofighter! The F-15E was in my plans but i think it will work out better with a friend for WSO as in the Tomcat.

- "Don't be John Wayne in the Break if you´re going to be Jerry Lewis on the Ball".

About carrier ops: "The younger pilots are still quite capable of holding their heads forward against the forces. The older ones have been doing this too long and know better; sore necks make for poor sleep.'

PC: I7 4790K 4.6ghz | 32GB RAM | Zotac GTX 1080Ti 11Gb DDR5x | Water cooler NZXT AIO Kraken x53 | 3.5TB (x4 SSD´s) | Valve Index| Andre´s JeatSeat.

Mirage2k, Spitfire, I-16, Jf-17, F-14, Uh-1, MiG-19, MiG-21, off top of my head. It's not lack of desire, just lack of time. So many interesting aircraft, not enough hours.

Harrier, F-16, and Ka-50 have the most time by far, followed by Mi-8, Yak-52, and L-39.

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

13 hours ago, paulw10 said:

. I buy all my modules on Steam, and transfer the licenses to Standalone - so no EDmiles for me 😞.

Why would you do that? I mean I started on steam, too. But once I realised I could transfer them and by directly from ED, I never bought one single piece again from Steam.

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

In countries that don't use USD or EUR, Steam usually gives better deals priced in the local currency. As long as they don't screw around with exchange rates like when Mirage F1 came out, Steam pricing tends to be closer to actual purchasing power ratios than exchange rates, which don't tell the whole story. I still feel like I'm being overcharged compared to Germans and Americans, but it's not a total ripoff buying in USD would be.

I will add that I have no regrets on purchasing the modules I seldom if ever use.

Back in the nineties I bought many racing, flight and combat fps titles, each new one rendering the older ones obsolete as graphics, physics, modelling etc. all improved. I remember visiting game shops (remember those!) on release dates.

I now focus on a race sim and this combat flight sim and consider the modules part of the continual development which helps the older stuff not become obsolete and grows the package as a whole.

AMD 5800X3D · MSI 4080 · Asus ROG Strix B550 Gaming  · HP Reverb Pro · 1Tb M.2 NVMe, 32Gb Corsair Vengence 3600MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · VIRPIL T-50CM3 Base, Alpha Prime R. VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Base. JetSeat

Except for the allied warbirds, F16, F14, F86, Huey, Apache and Viggen, all other moduals I've often just flown once or twice to try out and not gone back to (yet) 

Like the F-5 a plane I actually like, I've only flown one short home made mission, but now I've bought the campaign for it, so mabye that will change. 

i7 13700k @5.2ghz, GTX 3090, 64Gig ram 4800mhz DDR5, M2 drive.

I have a lot of planes and choppers and I tend to fly maybe three of them most, but I still like the others even if they sit in the hangar most of the time. I like them though for when I'm in the mood.

Except the P-47. Far and away my least favourite. I'd be happy to give it to someone if possible. It looks great, fantastic cockpit, and I absolutely hate the flight model.

Some of the planes, but all of the maps!

14 hours ago, Beirut said:

Except the P-47. Far and away my least favourite. I'd be happy to give it to someone if possible. It looks great, fantastic cockpit, and I absolutely hate the flight model.

Really? Why is that? It doesn't strike me as "special" compared to other War Birds. Do you fly the Mosquito? How do you like its FM in comparison?

I'm honestly curious!

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

1 hour ago, Hiob said:

Really? Why is that? It doesn't strike me as "special" compared to other War Birds. Do you fly the Mosquito? How do you like its FM in comparison?

I'm honestly curious!

I like the Mosquito and I love the Mustang. I just find the P-47 too floaty and bouncy. I feel like I'm flying a giant piece of paper blowing around in the wind. 

It may well be just me, maybe I'm a special kind of dolt when it comes to that plane, but I really don't enjoy it.

Some of the planes, but all of the maps!

2 minutes ago, Beirut said:

I like the Mosquito and I love the Mustang. I just find the P-47 too floaty and bouncy. I feel like I'm flying a giant piece of paper blowing around in the wind. 

It may well be just me, maybe I'm a special kind of dolt when it comes to that plane, but I really don't enjoy it.

No problem - I was just interested in the reasons. Maybe it's me who can't pick up the differences. I haven't flown it in a long time though.

• Like 1

• Tomcat - normally my most favorite module so have flown extensively, currently grounded, hopefully only until the next patch
  • Viper - fly regularly and my "replacement favorite", although in desperate need of fresh, quality SP content (quality = approaching the bar set by BD, Reflected. Ground Pounder et al)
  • Hornet - flown regularly in the past, now "grounded" for the time being (for varying reasons, primarily due to unwillingness to relearn so much when jumping between modules)
  • A-10C and "Tank Killer" upgrade, currently main focus due to ongoing campaign marathon (first "Iron Flag part 1", currently working through "Persian Freedom" campaign)
  • Apache - flown for a while when it came out, currently grounded due to lack of engaging SP content (see Viper)
  • Huey - grounded after finishing "Paradise Lost" early this year
  • F-86 - just did the training missions and some free-flight here and there, mostly to see the cockpit in VR
  • P-51D - same as with the Sabre
  • FC3 - haven't touched in years (other than than a five minute free flight in the F-15 to check out its cockpit in VR)

I only buy modules that I have a real interest in, and preferably only once there's good SP content available...except when nostalgia strikes - like the AH-64, which was a pre-order purchase for me. The F-15E will also tax my self-discipline, thanks to fond memories going back as far as "F-15 Strike Eagle" on the Commodore 64. 🙈

Edited by Jayhawk1971

Quite a few meanwhile that I only barely flew but want to have them "just in case" and who knows what the future brings.

With the complexity of new modules one is easily over saturated with new stuff that at some point and age you got to shift back and slow consumption rate a bit,

not saying you shouldn't purchase them, just in case.  I find it hard, too hard for myself, to keep up the pace, module after module..LoL.

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

Generally I try not to think about this. One could argue that I don't fly DCS as much as I used to these days, but it comes in 'waves'. Sometimes I fly a lot, sometimes I hardly do at all. At times I am happy that I mostly fly MP and thus my times don't get recorded.

On 12/7/2022 at 8:35 AM, Hiob said:

Why would you do that? I mean I started on steam, too. But once I realised I could transfer them and by directly from ED, I never bought one single piece again from Steam.

License transfer works from Steam to ED, but not from ED to Steam. I started on Steam. I like to keep purchases all in one place to keep track of. I also want to keep the option to go back to Steam if the need arises. No other reason. 

I have 3. Bf-109, Spitfire and I-16. 

Mostly for ground handling issues. They fly just fine but are all over the place when taxiing.

I know I'm doing something wrong but haven't figured it out yet. Like a musical instrument, practice, practice, practice.

🇺🇦  SLAVA UKRAINI  🇺🇦

MoBo - ASUS 990FX R2 Sabertooth,     CPU - AMD FX 9590 @4.7Gb. No OC
RAM - GSkill RipJaws DDR3 32 Gb @2133 MHZ,   GPU - EVGA GeForce GTX 1660Ti 6Gb DDR5 OC'd, Core 180MHz, Memory 800MHz
Game drive - Samsung 980 M.2 EVO 1Tb SSD,    OS Drive - 860 EVO 500Gb SATA SSD, Win10 Pro 22H2

Controls - Thrustmaster T-Flight HOTAS X,   Monitor - LG 32" 1920 X 1080,   PSU - Prestige ATX-PR800W PSU

Flew all that I bought but some I do not return to, like the F14 and Hind - not really into diff workload pits as I do SP only. I also prefer pits that look 'good' and that do not have a front view that is largely obstructed by canopy rails.

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | Gigabyte RTX 3070 Gaming OC 8GB | 32GB Adata Spectrix D50 3600 Mhz (16x2) | Asus B550 TUF Plus Gaming | 2TB Aorus Gen4
HOTAS Warthog | TrackIR 5 |
My Files | Windows 10 Home x64

I’m almost exclusively an F-16 guy with a dash of A-10C (Tank Killer) and a smidgen of F-5. Helos don’t do it for me. Yes, l’ve purchased all of them (apart from Gazelle) but they’re just too slow… Kudos to the ED team for capturing the complexity of the Apache. I’m amazed at the techy side of things but thats where the fascination ends.

The Tomcat is beautiful but not very usable (IMO) in single player and I suck at bringing it aboard. I will purchase the F-15E too if it is halfway decent but I expect to get very little use out of it for the same reason (it being a 2 person a/c). F-18C is fun(-ish) but it is not really doing it for me at the moment.

I have all the WW2 a/c but almost never fly them. The flight-models are just too twitchy (or I suck at flying)... with the exception of the P-47.  Nice module and fantastic cockpit in VR.

Anyway, carry on... 

Edited by chaos
additional comment

"It's not the years, honey. It's the mileage..."

On 12/8/2022 at 10:12 AM, Beirut said:

I just find the P-47 too floaty and bouncy. I feel like I'm flying a giant piece of paper blowing around in the wind. It may well be just me, maybe I'm a special kind of dolt when it comes to that plane, but I really don't enjoy it.

1 hour ago, chaos said:

I have all the WW2 a/c but almost never fly them. The flight-models are just too twitchy (or I suck at flying)... with the exception of the P-47.  Nice module and fantastic cockpit in VR. 

Exactly why it's nice to have a lot of options. You can't please everyone!

• Like 1

I'm Softball on Multiplayer. NZXT Player Three Prime, i9-13900K@3.00GHz, 64GB DDR5, Win 11 Home, Nvidia GeForce RTX 4090 24GB, TrackIR 5, VKB Gunfighter III with MCG Ultimate grip, VKB STECS Standard Throttle, CH Pro pedals

Nope, I flew all I bought at least a few hours, others more and F-14 and F-15 for hundreds of hours 🙂

Edited by draconus

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria