Patch notes discussion thread 2022

BIGNEWY

Ha ha , I lose.

Patch 2.8.0.33006 has been done on my DCS ob.

• Like 1

Modules: A-10C/II, F-5E, F-14A/B, F-15E, F-16C, F/A-18C, AV-8B, FC3, Ka-50-2/3, UH-1H, Mi-8MTV2, SA342, Mi-24P, AH-64D, P-51D
Maps: Nevada, PG, Syria, SA, Sinai, Channel, Normandy2.0      Assets etc.: CA, Sc, WW2AP
Mods and Skins in User Files: files/filter/user-is-western0221/ 

Screen_221018_005618c.jpg

Just a quick question:

Is 'update day' moved back to Fridays permanently again? Or have there just been a couple minor delays that pushed it there for the past three or so updates?

(Before anybody starts it: yes, please do your updates whenever you feel like it, it's just that I liked the Wednesday scheduling better)

There is no permanent 'update day'.  The last one was on a Thursday, sometimes it's Friday and sometimes it's Wednesday.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

I've been out of the loop for about 2 or 3 months and just patched to beta 2.8 and wondering what exactly changed in the lighting? It seems now the external colors and shadowing is way off, the shadow side of the aircraft is almost totally black and colors seem oversaturated. I messed with Gamma a bit and it helped a little. Mainly working with the AH64 but in the cockpit I was getting all sorts of weird shiny textures and very dark areas as well. I didn't see anything in the past comments on here that really addressed this other than talking about shadows being messed up but that isn't my issue. Maybe this changed a few patches ago and I missed discussion on it?

Sager Laptop, i7-6700k 4.00GHz, 16GB RAM, GTX 980M, 1920x1080, TIR 5, Windows 10

Ok so the lighting engine has changed, I can see that, but is there any suggestions as to how I can get it to not show my AH64D basically black when it's on the shadow side from the sun? It certainly doesn't look realistic at all, it's a step backward and tons of details are lost. Also the AH64D in Olive Drab in the Cuacus winter map is basically all black, no details showing, just a black mass. This can't be the improvement that 2.8 lighting should be? What gamma are people running?

Sager Laptop, i7-6700k 4.00GHz, 16GB RAM, GTX 980M, 1920x1080, TIR 5, Windows 10

22 minutes ago, monkie said:

Ok so the lighting engine has changed, I can see that, but is there any suggestions as to how I can get it to not show my AH64D basically black when it's on the shadow side from the sun? It certainly doesn't look realistic at all, it's a step backward and tons of details are lost. Also the AH64D in Olive Drab in the Cuacus winter map is basically all black, no details showing, just a black mass. This can't be the improvement that 2.8 lighting should be? What gamma are people running?

ED recommended 2.2 with the new lighting and texture upgrades. I still run on 1.9 or 2 but I use reshade to balance blacks and whites and to brighten up / saturate the colors so its not so drab. If you don’t have reshade, its worth a try. It will cost you a few fps in game but there hundreds of filters you can use to get the look you want. I use Levels and Technicolor, thats it, and its like looking at a whole new world. Clarity is a good one to sharpen up details but it dings 5 or so fps alone on my rig. I don’t mind 3-5 fps hit in total, but I don’t like 10+. Just an idea if you’ve never used it.

Edited by MadKreator

Intel i7 13700k, ASUS  rog strix z790A, 64gigs G.Skill Trident DDR5 @6400Mhz, Nvidia  RTX 4080FE, 2x 2TB Samsung M.2 NVME, 2x 1TB Samsung SSD,  Corsair RM1000x, Corsair h100i 240mm cooler, Lian Li LanCool 3, VKB Gunfighter Ultimate, VKB STECS , MFG Crosswinds, Track IR5, 48” LG UltraGear OLED & HP 24” touchscreen for Helios, Streamdeck XL, DCS-UFC App, Corsair Virtuoso RGB Headphones

12 minutes ago, monkie said:

is there any suggestions as to how I can get it to not show my AH64D basically black when it's on the shadow side from the sun?

There is a posting thread about cockpit lighting and such here. Its in relation to the Ka 50 and version 2.8. The thread says is solved, which given the posts by others besides me, it doesn't seem to be.

Anyway, ED say "If your hope is to have it look like it did before, that won't happen, this is a step forward towards more realistic looking lighting, its still being tweaked but we wont return to the dark flatter look" 
.... So maybe they are still tweaking. One can hope.

Suggest you post a specific bug/question with a track file so they look at it and it might get some attention.

MSI Z690 EDGE | i5 12600K | RTX 3070 TUF OC 8GB | Kingston Fury Renegade 32GB 3600MHz CL16 | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 |SilverStone 1000W Strider 80+ Platinum PSU | LG 34GN850 UWQHD 160Hz G-Sync HDR IPS 34in Monitor | Antlion Audio ModMic Uni-Directional Microphone with Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO Closed Back Studio Headphones | Behringer Xenyx 302USB Mixer | Virpil T-50CM3 Throttle | DELANCLiP head tracking | Gunfighter Mk.III MCE Ultimate | Crosswind Pedals | W10

• 2 weeks later...

Performance with the Hornet in the Persian Gulf seems off since 2.8. I mean on the Super Carrier I get my usual low fps in VR, but once airborne and flying around it remains about the same. Previously my performance once I take off was much better, especially when flying over water. Now it stays low no matter if taking off the super carrier or flying over water.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Maybe not the best place to ask, but I didn't want to create a new thread just for this question..

I was flying the Apache yesterday (night mission) and noticed that infantry (insurgent AK47 units in this case) didn't have any infrared signature at all. I've seen the new FLIR effect on vehicles and that looks great. Is it correct that the new FLIR images don't work yet for infantry units? (I kinda expected them to lit up like Christmas tree lights)

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

6 minutes ago, sirrah said:

Maybe not the best place to ask, but I didn't want to create a new thread just for this question..

I was flying the Apache yesterday (night mission) and noticed that infantry (insurgent AK47 units in this case) didn't have any infrared signature at all. I've seen the new FLIR effect on vehicles and that looks great. Is it correct that the new FLIR images don't work yet for infantry units? (I kinda expected them to lit up like Christmas tree lights)

From memory, I think they featured FLIR images of personnel in the AH-64 trailers and feature videos.

Probably some missing FLIR textures for certain troops.

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

10 minutes ago, Hiob said:

From memory, I think they featured FLIR images of personnel in the AH-64 trailers and feature videos.

Probably some missing FLIR textures for certain troops.

Sorry, nevermind. I think I just didn't properly fine tune level and gain knobs yesterday. Just tried again (on US, Russian and insurgent infantry) to test your theory and they were all good:

image.png

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

• 2 weeks later...

Any chance of having another OB patch before year's end?

VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants -- this is how I fly. We do not fly at treetop height, we fly between trees(TM)

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc9BDi-STaqgWsjNiHbW0fA

My simple missions: https://forum.dcs.world/topic/284071-vr-flight-guy-in-pj-pants-simple-missions/

NSRI - National Strategy Research Institution, a fictional organisation based on wordplay of Strategic Naval Research Institution (SNRI), a fictional institution appears in Mobile Suit Gundam UC timeline.

• ED Team
5 minutes ago, VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants said:

Any chance of having another OB patch before year's end?

as soon as we are ready to share news about the next patch date I will update the patch status post. For now work continues. 

thank you

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

• ED Team
14 minutes ago, falcon_120 said:

Is the patch still expected today?

Patch status post has not changed, that is the plan. 
Thanks

• Like 1

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

2 hours ago, falcon_120 said:

Is the patch still expected today?

The update just went live:

NVV82zu.jpg

• Like 2

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB